The Student Lounge
September 20, 2019, 03:25:24 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Students must register by using their first name as it appears on their schedule, followed by the last 4 numbers of their student ID.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Community Jazz Band 4/7  (Read 7589 times)
Brian C. Wuttke
Administrator
Musical Legend

View Profile WWW
« on: February 22, 2010, 02:29:36 pm »

Community Jazz Band
Wednesday, April 7th, 4:45 pm

« Last Edit: April 05, 2010, 12:29:16 pm by Brian C. Wuttke » Logged

I taught it, but did they learn?
ADIL9379
Novice

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2010, 09:43:46 pm »

After having such a good experience on my first jazz concert I was so excited for April 7th to come around. On that day I attended the Community Jazz Ensemble, my second concert. After I had finished the concert, which only lasted 30 minutes, I was a little disappointed. I had my hopes up to high from the experience I had from my last concert, Salsa Jazz Band. The concert was directed by Jim Broderick. The concert was also comprised of non credit and credit students that have been performing together for their second year. They used the big band form as the layout for the stage. The band was composed of the typical big band instruments with the addition of bongos, two guitars, and a modern drum set. There were two main reasons for my disappointed which lead to me not enjoying the concert.  One of the reasons is that it felt like the band was not well organized. It also sounded like if they were timid to reach their full potential, as if they were nervous. They weren’t very enthusiastic with their performance either. Many audience members would stand up and leave throughout the concert. Many of the instruments were drowned out by other instruments which made the whole band feeling out of sync. It sounded like if they weren’t working together. It felt like I was hearing a bunch of noise, instead of music, and at times it felt distorted. The second thing I noticed was the lack of attention that was spent on informing the audience on who was playing and the names of the songs. I believe they only mentioned the name of two songs they played the entire night. The only information they gave out was the calendar of the upcoming concerts at Miami-Dade instead of giving your usual concert program. I caught the name of my favorite song of the concert which was “No More Blues”. The only reason I enjoyed the song was because the girl that was singing had a tremendous voice, but they failed to mention her name. In the same song there was also a guitar solo that was high-quality and very upbeat. Although it was a bad experience, I was introduced to a different style of jazz, which was mostly blues. One of the songs they played had a very relaxing feel to it, the beat was very slow. This was a type of song that is mainly used for listening purposes. I could not ever imagine someone being able to dance to it. I am not used to listening to music that doesn’t make me want to dance. Although I am not a avid listener to these type of songs I can see myself enjoying this type of genre. Being a part of this class has led me to notice more details in the music that I listen to. I was able to appreciate this genre of music more than I would have before I was a part of this class. Attending this concert was a good experience for me despite my disappointed.
Andres7055
Novice

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2010, 03:47:25 pm »

on April 7th I attended to my second Jazz concert, I got to admit that I was more excited than the first time since the last concert gave me a really good impression. Well honestly what I can say about the concert is that I’m glad that I went to the first one because otherwise I would think completely different about jazz. The concert wasn’t organized at all; there was a lack of giving what it takes to make a real jazz concert. Sometimes they even forgot to mention the names of the players which they deserve credit not only for being there also for playing. It was a great disappointment for me since I was expecting something and the croud which started to left while the concert was playing. I have several reasons why I didn’t like it. The first Jazz concert I attended to it was really organized; you can actually listen to the band playing music. This band was so discordinated. I don’t know if the wisent playing together or they wasn’t doing very good but instead of listening music it was like some kind of noises. The concert sounded like everything except music. Also they didn’t provide the sufficient information I don’t recall the mention one single name of the songs they played. I think that most of the players didn’t have too much experience, if that would be the case then I believe that it’s okay. It was really hard to see if one of them was really playing because some of the instruments were cover by others, it was really hard just to listen and appreciate. There were some few details that I have to say that they were acceptable. Like one of the songs which name I don’t know, but I really enjoy because of is this young girl and her beautiful voice. She had an amazing voice it’s a shame that she is not in a band that could actually make her talent shine a little bit more. I wish I could know her name but they didn’t even mentioned which its another shame because she deserves a lot of credit for her beautiful voice she has a enormous talent. I also listen to a guitar solo which was okay, then they played some kind soft and gentle music which is not usual what we call Jazz. I remember the last concert every song it’s like it gives you a desire for dancing. But that wasn’t the case in this song; it was more likely to a relaxing environment the beat was really slow and also the band. Obviously this was some kind of slow and different Jazz that I’m used to listen. The one usually I like is with the fast rhythm something like Ragtime or Cool Jazz. In spite of all I think I really appreciate this kind if music and I think I did appreciate the concert not like the first one because of the performance but after all I think at least I did enjoy it   
Andres Ycaza
Viviana Forero
Novice

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2010, 09:27:23 am »

I attended a Jazz concert at Miami Dade College on April 7, 2010 at 4:45 pm.  This concert was directed by James Broderick.  Unlike my first concert, I must say I was feeling a bit excited.  The first concert I attended was fun and really made me appreciate Jazz music.  This concert was a bit different.  the quality of music and time put into the performance did not compare to the first concert I saw.  In my opinion it wasn’t as bad as some people thought, but definitely not the best concert that was given.  It lacked effort.   One thing I really enjoyed was the singing, it added something new.  The duet performed was my favorite.  The guy that song had an amazing voice and the girl wasn’t far behind.  I love hearing people sing, I guess this is why I enjoyed it.  Although I must say it was a bit unorganized.  The room where the concert was given was tiny.  I really couldn’t see and appreciate and the people playing the instrument.  I did notice this guy playing the saxophone; he had a solo and really got into it.  I enjoy that, it shows that they are really feeling the music and they are having fun with what they are doing.  I noticed the drummer was constantly changing, but either way my favorite was the older man, he was very good.  One thing I was upset about was how the audience was not given a concert program.  It is kind of hard for us students to follow along when we don’t know who is playing what.  We couldn’t even get song names.  Although the director did name maybe one or two songs, but it was rather quickly and I wasn’t able to get any names. I am not very familiar with different types of instrument; a program would have been very helpful and made it easier for me to follow along.  I do have to say that I really enjoyed a guitar solo by this one guy.  Anyway, by the looks of it not many people enjoyed the concert.  It started off pretty packed; barely any place to sit (I did get there like five minutes late though) and maybe fifteen minutes into the performance people started leaving.  I did think it was a little rude but it was obvious people were not feeling it.  At times the band sounded off tune, like everyone wasn’t playing together, that was a bit disappointing.  I did hear the director mention that the musicians were students, which probably explains the quality of the concert.  It was also obvious that the band had not been playing together for a long time.  In conclusion, I must say that this class was more interesting than I thought it would be.  and making the concerts mandatory is a good idea, it gives clueless students (like myself) the opportunity to learn and enjoy everything about music, after all Jazz plays a very important role in popular music today. 
Michael1653
Novice

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2010, 07:29:47 pm »

On April 7th, 2010, I attended a jazz concert at Miami Dade College, Kendall Campus. This concert was held by the Community Jazz Ensemble and directed by Jim Broderick. I was lucky enough to have arrived at the auditorium 30 minutes early to be able to interact with the musicians as they arrived. It was interesting to see that the group was diverse with ages ranging between late-teens to late 40’s. I immediately wondered what the music was going to be like. Once I entered the “auditorium,” I realized that it was just a big room set up with round tables and chairs like a café. I was pleasantly surprised that they even had complimentary refreshments for the visitors. When the musicians started to set up, I was barely able to see them. From what I gathered, there were 4 trombones, 2 trumpets, 2 guitars, 1 bass, 1 drummer, 1 piano, 3 tenor saxophones, 1 alto saxophone, and 1 set of bongos.

As the concert began, a female vocalist started to sing scat. The room was noisy with visitors still coming in trying to find seats and I was unable to hear the title of the song. I was barely able to hear the vocals over the instruments as well. It didn’t appear that the room was prepared to handle such a large crowd and so many instruments. The song did include a trombone solo, which really made the musician standout. I especially liked the walking bass sound throughout the song. I was intentionally trying to look at how the bassist was handling the instrument, but unfortunately I was unable to, due to the distance from where I was, and other performers that were in front of him.
The second song was called “When Sonny Gets Blue,” it was sung by a male vocalist. This song was upbeat and included a piano solo. The vocalist in this song was also barely audible due to the instruments sounding much louder than the voice projection coming over the speakers. I slowly started to become disappointed at what I was unable to “get” from the performance because of where the concert was being held and the way the seating was distributed.

The crowd (mostly college students) was finally able to relate to the music when the third song was played. The song “The Way You Look Tonight” was sung duet by the female and male vocalist. They had an excellent performance and it was evident that they practiced enough to master their performance.

My favorite performance of the evening was a bossa-nova song called “No More Blues.” There was a female vocalist that sang in Portuguese. I particularly enjoy listening to bossa-nova. The director, Jim Broderick, played a solo on the cornet, which I thought was an “out of this world” performance. The guitarist also had a solo moment. After the song finished, the director went on to explain that he was playing a cornet and the similarities of that instrument to a trumpet.

The final performance was a song called “Grand Slam.” It included a trombone solo. They couldn’t have finished off the show with a better song. I felt as if each instrument had their moment of distinction, almost like the instruments were talking to each other.

The concert was approximately 30 minutes long. I thoroughly enjoyed it and was impressed at what a wonderful show the young musicians provided to their audience.  Another classmate stuck around after the show and spoke to one of the saxophone players which explained to us, the different saxes that were used in the performances.

Michael Fernandez
Natasha4466
Novice

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2010, 09:04:28 am »

For my second concert I went to watch the Community Jazz Band on April 7th at Miami Dade College auditorium. I was very upset by this performance. Not only was everything a complete mess but also I was just so blown away by my first concert that when I actually heard this one it didn’t even compare. After I had finished the concert, which only lasted 30 minutes I was expecting to hear more, but was kind of left hanging. I’m not sure if it was the music or the musicians but my feeling towards jazz music kind of shifted just because I was a little skeptical my first concert and later was relieved of all my doubts but then coming to this concert I wasn’t prepared or should I say I was expecting something like my first concert. But then again this is just my opinion. The quality of music and time put into the performance did not compare to the first concert I saw. I was just was completely unsatisfied with the concert I wish they practiced more and put more effort into it. One thing that I thought was interesting was to see the band made up of some many different age groups. It’s cool to see so many students get along and play music together. The concert was also made up of non-credit and credit students that have been performing together for their second year. They used the big band form as the layout for the stage. The band was composed of pretty much the same instruments you would find in a big band with some extras like bongos, and modern drum set and guitars. The concert was so disorganized I could barely hear the people singing or the names of the songs being played. Not only that it was very distracting because people kept getting up and leaving while other people where walking in late and trying to find a seat. The only information they gave out was the calendar of the upcoming concerts at Miami-Dade instead of giving your usual concert program.  Two of my favorites were “The Way You Look Tonight” was sung duet by the female and male vocalist. It was very nice and I was glad to see someone practiced and put a lot of effort into it. They had an excellent performance. The second song I liked a lot which was probably my favorite one was “No More Blues”. The girl singing was amazing! She probably made the concert in my opinion! Her voice was spectacular and the girl has talent. Unfortunately I didn’t get the girls name so I would have to refer to her as “the girl with the amazing voice” In the same song there was also a guitar solo that was high-quality and very upbeat. Although it was a bad experience, It had some good parts. If this was my first concert ever I would probably think much differently about jazz but fortunately It wasn’t. I would not recommend this concert to any of my friends. I didn’t like it that much. Maybe some things they could of worked on was more organization and maybe try to make the concert a little longer.

Natasha Cantin
Daniel5005
Novice

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2010, 01:27:25 pm »

Concert Critique #2
   On the evening of Wednesday April 7, 2010 I attended “The Community Jazz Ensemble which is comprised of both credit and noncredit students with a love of performing great music.” As I looked at the stage and saw it was full of musicians I thought the ensemble will deliver a big band sound with vocal and instrumental performances. I looked around and saw the following:
   Four Trombones, two Trumpets
   Two Electric Guitars, one Electric Bass
   One Piano, one Drummer, one Percussionist
   Three Tenor Saxophones, one Alto Saxophone
   Three Vocalists (two females and one male)
“Big bands were made up of ten or more musicians whose instruments fall into three categories: brass, saxophones and rhythm section.” As the band began to play the first song titled “Moanin’” by Bobby Timmins a young red-headed female stepped over to the microphone and started singing. When the Band got to the Bridge one of the trombonists stood up and began playing an improvised solo.
   The second song titled “When Sony Gets Blue” was interpreted by a young man, during which I noticed the drummer was more involved playing lots of hi hat and the snare drum with wire brush creating a softer sound. Midway through the song one of the Trumpeters stood up in the back and played a solo, then to my surprise both Electric Guitarists took a turn playing a solo after the trumpet solo; the rhythm section provided the accompaniment during all three solos.
The “Way You Look Tonight” was a performed as a duet by the two vocalists previously mentioned. Things got more interesting on the fourth song titled “No More Blues”. The Director Jim Broderick left his place as Conductor and jumped in the Frontline to play some improvised Flugelhorn solos with “swing feeling”. I observed that another young female vocalist approached the microphone and began singing the lyrics in Portuguese telling me it's Bossa Nova. One of the Electric Guitarists played the songs’ melody during his solo and I saw two horn men in the Frontline stand up and walk over to the Percussion section (left side of the stage) to play percussion instruments this accented small sounds in the background adding color to the song.  The fifth and final song is titled “Grand Slam” by Don Shamber, the Brass section in this song is more involved giving it a brassy sound including a Trumpet solo and later a Trombone solo; the Electric Bass plays a walking bass line and the Drummer is very involved.
   In conclusion, a couple of the songs were played in A-A-B-A form and a couple in 12 bar blues form. I’m glad I was able to the hear The Community Jazz Ensemble; I enjoyed a free thirty minute Concert in the company of my fellow students. I was able to listen to the music and know what I was listening to, I could recall the concepts and terminology I've learned in this course. It’s a good feeling, a feeling of satisfaction to know that you’re learning and developing musical listening skills.
Giselle0303
Songwriter (10 points)

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2010, 02:10:17 am »

On April 7th, 2010 at 4:45 pm I attended the jazz concert at Miami Dade College. The group performing were students from credited and non-credited classes. The concert was held by the Community Jazz Ensemble and directed by Jim Broderick. The room was set up in big band style. The band had a wide range of instruments like guitars, bass, drums, a piano, tenor saxophones, alto saxophones, and even a set of bongos. Seeing as this was the first concert I have attended, seeing all these instruments and seeing the band get ready to play filled me with excitement. To my dismay, I was not as impressed with the overall performances as I thought I would be. First off there was no formal program listing the band or its members or even the songs that were going to be performance. If felt very informal and unrehearsed. The band seemed nervous and didn’t have the confidence I would have liked to see. This made me feel very nervous for them and it made it hard to just sit back and enjoy the show. I feel that other felt the same way because throughout the performance, many people began to walk out. On the more positive side, the music had a cool blues jazz sounds to it and it created a very relaxed atmosphere, which I really enjoyed.
The concert performances were unique because there members also sang along to some of the songs performed, also there were many solos, like a particular guitar solo was one of the highlights of the concert for me. The concert began with a female vocalist performing which was a great way to start the show, she was a very talented performer, but it became very hard to hear her because the instruments seemed to overpower her voice, there was a lack of levels as far as being able to hear both the instruments and the vocals. The trombone solo was also very well performance and sounded great. My favorite performance was to the song “The Way You Look Tonight”. It was a duet between and male and female and they were so great together. I really enjoyed the females voice the most, she seem very well rehearsed and confident in her performance. It seemed as though they performed together often or were very well prepared. I also enjoyed the directors performance it the show and his involvement, during the performance. During the songs there were many solos, like a guitar solo, a trombone solo, this was my favorite part of the concert because it gave these students a chance to show their individual talent. Overall I truly enjoyed the concert I attended. I left with a feeling of excitement for my next concert! Going to a live performance helped someone like me who is very new at listening to jazz truly appreciate all of the instruments and even vocals that can go into a jazz performance.  I feel I learned a lot from this concert and I am very excited to attend my next one and hopefully retain even more knowledge but also get to experience and even better concert performance.

Giselle Navarro
sergio1413
Novice

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2010, 05:28:28 am »

Sergio Perilla
MUL 2380
2nd Concert Critique
Community Jazz Ensemble   

The Community Jazz Ensemble concert was held on April 7, 2010 at the Beat Café, room K-143 Miami Dade College, Kendall Campus. The presentation was part of the 2010 Arts and Letters Day. The community Jazz Ensemble is consisted of credit and non-credit music students and is directed by Mr. Jim Broderick. This was not the best concert that I attended, but I applaud the efforts that the students did in order to delight the public with a really nice performance. First, I want to give my opinion about the concert and second, I am going to make some suggestions to improve the quality of future presentations. The ensemble performed vocal and instrumental songs. The students looked well prepared with many hours of practice, but the problems were for the lack of organization because they did not print a program to know the name of the songs and also they did not mention the musician’s names. The sound was terrible with no coordination between the sound engineer and the people helping him. Furthermore, the public was disrespectful walking around the room, waving their friends, talking over the phone, get in and out from the room in a noisy way and some people were talking loudly outside the room by the hallway.
My recommendations for the organizers is to print copies with the name of the songs and the name of the performers, also improve the quality of the sound by coordinate the work between the sound engineer and the musicians, and finally the most important thing is to enforce rules of conduct among the public. If the people from the Arts and Letters Day follow all the recommendations that I made the Community Jazz Ensemble and other performers will play better concerts in the future.     
Michael1653
Novice

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2010, 06:18:19 am »

Re: Natasha4466 Post

Natasha, you are absolutely right in regards to "the girl with the amazing voice." She should have been personally recognized for her wonderful performance. It's a shame that she was not introduced! She was the BEST performer there!

Michael1653
Lauren0758
Novice

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2010, 06:53:22 am »

Lauren SanBartolome
Jazz and Pop Music
4-21-2010

On April 7, 2010, I had the opportunity to attend my second ever jazz concert.  It was called Community Jazz Ensemble.  Miami Dade was hosting a festival of different arts, and the jazz ensemble was a small part of the event.  The location was a small room that had been decorated, and made to have that café feel. They were even serving coffee and an assortment of snacks. The event had been an all day thing, for the students and was also open to the public.  This concert was very different than the first one that I attended.  This one was more informal, but I still thoroughly enjoyed it. 

I didn’t catch the first name of the piece that they played, it wasn’t written in the booklet that they gave out.  The ensemble however had a big band feel, it reminded me of Michael Buble’ or Frank Sinatra, which I absolutely love!  There was a young girl who was singing along with the musicians.  She was scat singing, I was able to recognize it from some of the music that we heard in class by Ella Fitzgerald.  Her vocals were imitating the instruments that were being played.  It was very cool; it was something that I had never seen anyone do.  There was also a very pretty piano solo, it sounded like he was improvising. I also really enjoyed the trumpet and trombone solos that were part of this ensemble.

The next composition was called “When Sonny Gets Blue.”  This song had a very romantic feeling to it.  This song also had a singer that accompanied the band.  His voice was very smooth and pretty.  This piece also had a trumpet solo, it was different that the others that I had heard.  Usually the trumpet solos are loud and they play the instrument very hard, emphasizing different parts of their solo. In this solo however, the trumpeter played soft and smooth, it sounded warm and sultry.  The instrumental portion of this song I thought was executed greatly; it was very precise and structured.

They also had a duet to the song “The Way You Look Tonight.”  They played with the songs tempo and style a bit.  It was different, there own rendition of it, but it turned out great.  There was an incredible saxophone solo, also improvised.  The sound was very different than the original version of the song.  The singers voices were different but they complimented each other as they sang in different tones and octaves.  Another greatly executed piece. 

The last ensemble that the jazz band performed was called “No More Blues.”
This song was very different, it started off with the conductor playing on what I thought was a trumpet, but he later informed us that it’s an instrument called a cornet.  This piece also had a scat singer.  It had a Latin feel to it.  They incorporated the electric guitar as well as congas to the band.  You could hear a lot of the snare drum, as well as different percussion instruments that gave it that Latin feel. 

The event was only about thirty minutes, but it was amazing.  I enjoyed the experience.  Our campus has very talented individuals.  I look forward to hearing and attending more concerts like these.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: