The Student Lounge
September 20, 2019, 02:43:26 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: THE FORUMS ARE CLOSED.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Celebration Jazz Choir 4/22  (Read 4867 times)
Brian C. Wuttke
Administrator
Musical Legend

View Profile WWW
« on: January 14, 2010, 06:41:13 pm »

Celebration Jazz Choir
Thursday, April 22nd, 7:30 pm

I taught it, but did they learn?
mauricio9094
Novice

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2010, 10:39:00 pm »

This was my first time experiencing a student musical performance so I wasn’t too sure of what to expect. When the MDC Celebration Jazz Vocal Ensemble began with “Route 66” there were still some empty seats. At this point I began to pay attention to what instruments the band was using. They had a drum set, piano, electric bass and guitar. Obviously the singers were the focus of the performance but I think the band did a good job of keeping the timing for the choir. When they performed “Alone Together” I was impressed with the piano solo. I think his name is Dan Matheson, either way he killed it up there. Honestly I wasn’t too happy with the next song “But Beautiful”. It had no instrumentation and the vocals of the men were overpowered by the women. “The Boy From New York City” was the first time I saw and heard the saxophone, trumpet and trombone all night. I enjoyed the vocal solos in this one. I notice that most of the seats in the auditorium are filled now and they made themselves heard with the ovation to this song. I’m a fan of Stevie Wonder’s so I felt a little uncomfortable when one male soloist took some liberty with the performance of “Don’t You Worry ‘Bout A Thing.” Not too bad, I guess I’m just partial to the original. At this point it was time for the second group, MDC Vocal Jazz Ensemble, and the started off with an Antonio Carlos Johbim named “So Danco Samba.” I remembered his stuff from class and I liked that the band captured that Brazilian- Latin jazz style. Looking around I saw people tapping their feet and fingers. This one is a definite crowd pleaser. My favorite part was when the male and female singers alternated solos. “A Nightingale in Berkley Square” sounded like if it was vocal only but if it did have instrumentation it was very little. This one had some interesting key changes and complex harmonies. I didn’t like it that much but I could appreciate the complicated structure. But now I was in for a treat that caught me completely off guard. Their rendition of “Senor Blues” was amazing. It was the perfect mix of the drums and guitars mixed with vocal improvisational solos. I am not sure of the right word for what the male and female soloists did, I think it is called scatting. Regardless, it made a song that was already pretty funky and grooving that much better. I think I clapped the hardest for this one was really impressed. At this point I am thinking that I could see myself attending some of the performances on the regular and enjoy them. Now the next song the performed was either called “Wedding Procession” or “Voice Dance” as it says in the program. I am confused because I thought I heard the conductor say it was named “Wedding Procession.” The band took a break on this one as the song contains no instrumentation. It was all vocal changes. There was quite a number of harmonies as well. I liked this song because now instead of having instruments providing a contrast to the voices, it was the voices contrasting each other with separate harmonies. My overall experience was positive. There was a bit of talent on stage tonight and I feel better for trying something different and exploring a new sound.
Giselle0303
Songwriter (10 points)

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2010, 03:04:20 am »

The " alone together" Piano solo sounds very pretty. I love the piano so I would have really enjoyed to hear that performance. This seems like a concert I wish I would have been able to go to.
paola9606
Novice

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2010, 07:00:55 am »

On Thursday April 22, 2010 in the McCarthy Auditorium, Room 6120 I attended The MDC celebration Jazz Vocal Ensemble. It was my first time experiencing a student vocal concert and I have to say that I very much enjoyed the performance. The concert began with a song called "Route 66" music and lyrics by Bobby Troup was performed by a choir of girls and boys their was also instruments such as drums, piano, electrical guitar that gave it a happy and loud feel to the song. The song "Alone Together" music by Arthur Schwartz had the same set up but there was a piano solo by Dan Matheson, which was beautiful and gave a romantic style to the song. The song "But Beautiful" music by James Van Heusen had a sad/soft tone and had three soloist, which did very well. The song " The Boy From New York City " music and lyrics by John Taylor and George Davis had an awesome rhythmic feel especially when the solo singers began to sing. They had two different type of singers, Alto and Soprano and all the solos did an amazing good. The song " Don't You Worry 'Bout a Thing" music and lyrics by Stevie Wonder had a smooth feel all the way through the song. Their was also solo singers and the instruments playing in the background with the flow of the song. The song " So Danco Samba " music by Antonio Carlos Jobim had a Happy/Harmonic or even a dancing feel. The song was beautifully sung in Portuguese which amplified it's south American spice. The song " A Nightingale Sang in Berkeley Square " music by Manning Sherwin was performed in Acapella with a somber tone, which was mesmerizing. The song    "Senor Blues "  music and lyrics by Horace Silver had a Funky tone. The instruments played such as the piano was breathtaking as well as the solo scat singing by Alessandria Pita. The song " Voice Dance " music by Greg Jasperse was another performance in Acapella with a Romantic and soft tone and no instruments. The song '' Me and Julio Down by the Schoolyard" music and lyrics by Paul Simon had a fast beat and rhythmic feel that I couldn't stop moving my feet. What I like the most was the Saxphone solo it was wonderful. The best part was when everyone sang and played the instruments all at once it was loud but fun and  exciting. Overall the concert was amazing and well done, they all seemed to have practiced very hard because all were breathtaking.
Giselle0303
Songwriter (10 points)

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2010, 08:56:06 am »

The song " but beautiful" and the piano solo sounds really nice. I would have really liked to see it. I would have loved to go to this concert.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: