The Student Lounge
September 20, 2019, 03:01:28 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Each listening critique must contain a minimum of 300 words to receive credit.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: MDC Jazz Band 2/09  (Read 8429 times)
Brian C. Wuttke
Administrator
Musical Legend

View Profile WWW
« on: January 14, 2010, 06:36:38 pm »

MDC Jazz Band
Tuesday, February 9th, 7:30 pm

« Last Edit: April 05, 2010, 12:30:59 pm by Brian C. Wuttke » Logged

I taught it, but did they learn?
judith8837
Novice

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2010, 04:15:36 pm »

I attended the MDC Jazz Concert on February 9, 2010 at McCarthy Auditorium Miami Dade Kendall Campus. This was my first time assisting to a Jazz Concert and as a surprise for me, it was really interesting. I enjoy so much the performance. Also I had the opportunity to listen to all the different instruments and to observe how the looks like. The program for the night was divided in two parts. First, the MCD Jazz Band conducted by Matt Banelli (director and band coordinator). It was composed by 5 Saxes, 5 trombones, 3 trumpets and a Rhythm Section with a piano, a guitar, a bass and two drums. The concert began with the song called “Basic Straight Ahead” by S. Nestico. I liked so much the way the MDC Jazz Band perform this song. Under my personal point of view they looked very professional, the melody was very rhythmical. The instruments were great .The Saxes sounded very loud and all the audience can experience the jazz swing feeling. The second song was called “Steely Shuffle” by T. Kubis. The rhythm of this song was fast and strong. I really enjoy the Michael Foguer solo performance with his saxophone, for me was wonderful. He played very high notes that produced an automatic audience response with a lot of claps. We all enjoy the great swing feeling because everybody was moving in their seats, taping their feet, and clapping at the same time. The third song was: “Sentimental Journey” by B. Green & L. Brown. This song was kind of soft with a lot of feeling on it. The saxophone solo moment appeared like the instrument was imitating a person singing.  It sounded really good; the bass had the walking beat, piano, and drums players were outstanding too. The four song was “Chameleon” by H. Hanbaton and the last one for this first part was called “Sister Sadie” by H. Silver. In general the MDC Jazz Band sounded like the Big Band, the sound was very colorful with a variation of rhythms. For me was a pleasure to listening jazz improvisation; also was really good to experiment the sensation of form part of that important musical movement, which is Jazz. The second part of the concert was performed by Jesse Jones Jr., the special guest of the night. Jesse Jones J.  is from Florida, he has been a professional musician since 1960’s. He has two CD’s named: “Soul Serenade” and “So Then Collection”. He is consider a legend in Miami because of his brilliant assemble work and for his top quality music. A phenomenal reed player, Jesse is technically superior on the alto, soprano and baritone saxophones as well as flute. The first song that he performed was “Just Friends”. He was accompanied by James Cotman at drums, Randy Tomasello at piano and Matt Bonelli at bass. This song was great, the piano and drums sounded perfectly right and Jesse with his alto sax overwhelms the audience with his infectious positive attoyude and dynamic stage presence. He also improvised many times and sang through his horn, making the audiences go wild, it was like his voice were imitating the instrument. The second song was “Stardust” by H. Carmichael, this one was very romantic, slow, and he was transmitting too much feeling. The piano was extremely good. The third one was “Comin’ Home Baby” by H. Mann, here Jesse performed with his flute; he really surprised me the way he kept playing the instrument for a long time without breathing. The song was very active, enthusiastic and full of energy.  Jesse is a very funny person, he made some jokes, sang like a girl, and also he danced in a really funny way, we all smiled and had a good time. I liked so much this song because Jesse sang, played the flute, and interacted with the audience at the same time. The fourth was “Take the a Train”, at the beginning of the song there were not instrument, just Jesse singing, after that he played his sax, and the drums were fantastic, for me my favorite in this song. The next song was “So Then”, a slow melody but beautiful and sweet, great bass and piano solo moments. The sixth song was a blues; he improvised with Deandra Mendez, a member of the MDC Jazz Band. He really surprised her with his invitation, she looked a little bit nervous but she did great. The final song was “Yardbird Suite”, here the drums were the best, James Cotman played it very loud, strong ,with too much rhythm in his solo moment, Jesse sit with the audience while the drums was taking place. It was really amazing how much I enjoyed the concert, and also, how it influenced me to begin listening this wonderful kind of music. 

mario6188
Novice

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2010, 04:40:36 pm »

I had the great opportunity attend to my first ever Jazz concert. It was the Jazz Ensemble Concert, on Miami Kendall campus. Being that is was my first concert I did not know what to expect. I was not sure if I was going to like it or not. As soon as the musician came on to stage, I realized that this band was mainly composed of students who were very young and looked very eager to start playing. The band was composed of a pianist, two guitarists, a drummer, three trumpeters, 5 trombonists, five saxophonists and the director the settings of a big band. It looked like they were all ready, because it did not take that long for them to set up and start playing. In less than five minutes they started to play. The first song of the concert “Basie Straight ahead” sounded like a warm up song. It was very moving but somewhat slow. All of the musicians were performing very well, but somehow I figure they were a little nervous. The song was moving along very well but the crowd did not actually get into it until  almost at the middle of the song, when David Hernandez playing a baritone, got up to perform a solo, he did very good and the crowd started to clap as he sat down. The first song was finished and I guess then the band started to feel more relax. (One of the things that I did not like from the beginning was the dependence that I saw in the band towards the director). The second song came (Steely Shuffle), and it was almost the same as the first song but more moving. To me the band looked more confident. But the same thing happened like in the first song; David Hernandez got up and performed another solo. I was hoping to see more participation from the other band members, but that did not happened until later. In the third song(Sentimental Journey) there was a little bit more action,  David Hernandez performed his solo and right after I believe, Pedro Ramos and Julio Mejia started sort of a battle, they exchanged notes, In my opinion this third song was very well performed. but  the best performance came on the fourth song (Chameleon), that is when the real action started, first there was and exchanged combination between Deandra Mendez playing alto 1 and I believe his name is David Gonzalez playing alto 2, they were going at it very good, after that we had an exchanged of notes between Kenneth Torres and Brandon Bryant, I believe these are their names, I could not tell which one was which, but they did a very good job, thereafter we had another vey good performance between Pedro Ramos and Julio Mejia, playing their trumpets, by then the crowd was very deep into this concert and even did a stand up ovation for the performers. The fifth song was a little bit slower and only the bass or guitarists performed a combination by themselves, but it was also the introduction of the start of the night. Jessie Jones Jr. did a solo toward the end on the song.
The band rested and then came the old-timers, right there and then I knew that the beautiful sound of jazz was going to become alive. This time it was only the pianist, the drummer, the bass and Jessie Jones Jr. playing the saxophone. The first song “Just Friends” was an introduction Jessie Jones started then the pianist (Mr. Tomasello), the bass (Mr. Bonelli), and later a kind of mix of saxophone with drum (Mr. Cotman), I was very impressed to hear such as beautiful sound as they were all playing. The second song “Stardus” was a very nice piece, slow and a little mellow, I loved the way Jessie Jones made the saxophone sing, it was very impressive. On the third song “Take the A train”, Jessie Jones did a very good performance, where he played the flute and did a vocal flute combination, I am not sure how he did that, it’s not easy to play instruments and at the same time try to do a vocal, like if he was a ventriloquist. His performance kept getting better and better, but I was vey surprised in the sixth song that he played, toward the end he called one of the students Deandra Mendez to come to the stage and try to follow him. He started to play and she followed him pretty good, I was very surprised how she was able to improvise and try to keep up with him. At the end of that song people were enjoying every minute of this concert and he asked everyone to give a round of applause to that young lady for being talented and playing with him. After the seventh song “Yardbird Suite”, the concert was finish and I was very please that I have attended such as exiting concert.
Gregory8995
Novice

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2010, 09:36:14 am »

On Tuesday, February 9th at 7:30 p.m. I attended the Jazz Ensemble concert featuring guest: Jesse Jones Jr. As I had been to many previous jazz concerts I had a good idea what to expect from the show, although this was my first Miami dade college concert. The band opened with “Basie Straight Ahead” by S. Nestico, this song had a great swing feel to it and the Saxes performed very well.  In the second sond “Steely Shuffle” by T. Kubis, a soloist named Michael Foguer did an outstanding job as he played very well with the band accompanying him in the background.  And the third song “Sentimental Journey” by: B. Green and L. Brown, which had a catchy rhythm to which you could not help but stomp your feet to. Along with this there were solos by David Hernandez on the baritone saxophone that was very good. Followed by a beck and call between soloists Pedro Ramos and Julio Mejia both on trumpet. And the fourth song “Chameleon” by: H. Hanbaton, which had many things going on between the base rhythm of the song mixed with the many solos that were involved. After the MDC band finished their performance, it was time for the guest Jesse Jones Jr.  To play. I had never previously heard of Jesse Jones Jr. but as soon as he started to play I could tell that he as a professional musician. I would later learn that he started out here in Miami, and even has 2 CDs named: “Soul Serenade” and “So Then Collection”. Jesse Jones Jr. seemed to have done it all as he played the alto saxophone, jazz flute and even sang. The first song he played was “Just Friends” by: S. Lewis. This song was an impressive performance by jesse jones jr. on his alto sax as well as a show of great musicianship by his supporting cast of James Cotman on Drums, Randy Tomasello on piano, and Matt Bonelli on bass. As a group this piece was very entertaining and really seemed to get the entire crowd involved in a joyous jazz feel. The second piece “Stardust” by: H. Carmichael was a slow melodic piece that really showed the talents of Jesse Jones Jr. In this piece Jesse Jones Jr. put his talents on the alto sax on full display seeming to make the sax sing the song for him. And in his sixth song “Coming Home Baby”  by: H. Mann Jesse Jones Jr. asked on of the students Deandra Mendez to join him on stage to perform the piece. I was very impressed to see how composed this student was as she was playing with a professional of her instrument. As she played a became very impressed with her talents as she did very well as she followed Jesse Jones Jr. in what he was playing. Overall I would give this concert I high rating for a final grade. It was a very well done concert and had exceeded my expectations for both the MDC Jazz band and the performance and talent of Jesse Jones Jr.
Andres7055
Novice

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2010, 02:28:53 pm »

I attended on February 9 at McCarthy Auditorium to the Miami Dade College Jazz Concert. I’m not such a lover of jazz in fact I never listing to that kind of music, but I honestly think it was something completely differently from now at days and very classy too. This was my first time at a jazz concert and it was really great. The performance of each of the musicians was really impressive. I was able to identify each musician thanks to the booklet in every seat. The whole concert was divided in two parts. At the beginning was the Miami Dade Jazz Band directed by Mat Banellim, the director of the band. The whole band had as instruments 3 trumpets, 5 Saxes, 5 trombones, and the rhythm section had the piano, 2 drums, a bass and one guitar. The first song was called Basic Straight Ahead. I believe the first song was to complex for my taste, each one of the Saxes were really loud and had different kind of rhythm, I didn’t like the coordination of the instruments too. The second song was called Steely Shuffle, the author was Kubis. This song was really different than the first one, the rhythm was faster and also the beat. What took my impression of that song was the solo performance by Michael Foguer with the saxophone, he was really loud and good and the whole crowd saw his act and responded with a lot of claps. The third song was Sentimental Journey, by Green and Brown. I really like this one, the rhythm was great and I also like when the song brought a saxophone solo, but especially the piano. I loved the way that the instruments were mix with the piano. The two last ones were called Chameleon by Hanbaton and Sister Sadie by Silver. This was the first part of the jazz concert in which the Miami Dade Jazz Band did a fabulous work. The second part had a special guest called Jesse Jones. Born in Florida, Jones has been in the music business since 1960. Well known in Miami for his talent. The second part of the concert played in total 7 songs in which Jones was one of the main characters with his alto sax. There were two songs that really called my attention of the second part of the concert. One was the second one. Called the Stardust. I like this one especially because it has a romantic feeling and really slow rhythm and of course the piano was amazing, I love almost every song that involves a piano in it. The second one that called my attention which was the third one of the second part of the concert was called coming home baby, by Mann. I must say that Mr. Jones’ act was totally impressive with his flute. Jesse Jones was the star of the night talking entirely every clapping of the crowd I was really amazed by his talent and the whole jazz concert which I’m sure it’s going to be the first of many.

Andres Ycaza
paola9606
Novice

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2010, 01:54:31 pm »

Tuesday, February 9, 2010 at 7:30 pm in McCarthy Auditorium, Room 6120 I attended a Jazz Ensemble Concert where they introduced special guest: Jesse Jones Jr. I have to say I had no idea what to expect from this Jazz concert being that it would be my first time ever attending to one. I have always been intrigued by the feel of Jazz music so I new I was going to like it and indeed it was as I thought. I enjoyed every feel and beat of the music playing; I could stop my feet from moving. The Concert had to sessions. The first session of the concert was the MCD Jazz Band conducted by Matt Banelli whom directed and lead the band of students that night. The instruments used in each song by the band were 5 trombones, 3 trumpets, 5 Saxes, a piano, a guitar, a bass and two drums The songs played were very much enjoyed some had a harmonious rhythm others a serious tone or even a sentimental tone. Two of my favorite songs were "The Steady Shuffle" and "The Sentimental Journey”. "The Steady Shuffle" had a very strong and very quick beat to it. I liked the improvisation of instruments which I believe it makes the whole song so rhythmic and so alive, which had me dancing in my seat as well as the audience. In this song there was a saxophone solo which was very entertaining and I also liked how then the trumpets improvised and in the background you would hear the steady beats of the drummer playing and also the piano. ”The sentimental journey" had a slow and smooth tone to it. There was also a saxophone solo, which I loved because the feel was so smooth and got you to feel a certain inner self emotion, very peaceful. Also in the background of the son there was a steady beat, which was the bass and a bit towards the ending of the song the drums took over. What I loved about the entire concert was Jesse Jones Jr, A saxophonist extraordinaire. I really had the wonderful opportunity to actually have a feel of what a truly Jazz musician sounded like, live. There was a song called “Comin’ Home Baby” played by Jesse Jones Jr. which was amazingly wonderful. The tone was happy and exciting filled with so much life and laughter. Jesse Jones Jr. had played the flute amazingly; it felt like it was someone singing at one point. Also when he took a break from playing the flute he began to sing like a women, that was so funny, I don’t think I have laughed so much; he also had the audience keeping the beat by clapping. My feet would not stop moving by the beat of Jones playing the flute and the laughter was ongoing until the end of the song. He had the entire audience laughing and dancing from there seats. He was beyond wonderful. Both programs were amazing and each song had its meaning and feel. They did a great job and left everyone including myself beyond excited about the feel of Jazz.
jose8253
Novice

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2010, 06:19:19 pm »

Tuesday, February 9, 2010 at 7:30 pm in McCarthy Auditorium,    this was my first time attending the MDC jazz concert and also my first time ever attending a music concert. I have to say I had no idea what to expect from this Jazz concert, I was not sure if I was going to like it or not. I wasn’t really into this type of music, but after attending this concert it has opened my eyes to a whole new level. I really enjoyed this concert and learned that I should expand my music criteria. What caught my attention from the concert were the varieties of instruments that were there.  There were 5 Saxes and from the 5, 1 of them caught my attention, it was this really young guy that knew how to play his instrument. He didn’t make any mistakes while he played. There were also 3 trumpets and in my opinion every one of them played their notes perfectly. The only set of instruments I did not hear very well played were the trombones, I think they missed a few notes while they were playing. The piano player was very professional and played magnificent. After the first half of the concert was over, this old man showed up and his name was Jesse Jones Jr. When he started playing right away I noticed that I was listening to a professional, he was incredible; I didn’t know that someone his age could play that well. He was also very funny and entertaining. After he played a couple of his songs he took a break and told some jokes to the audience. I really enjoyed listening to him; I think he brought the show to a whole different level. Thanks to this concert I can really appreciate what jazz music is all about.  The first song he performed  “Just Friends” accompanied by Randy Tomasello at piano, James Cotman at drums and Matt Bonelli at bass.  I really like the song, he made the audience go wild, he started imitating the instrument with his mouth. The second song was “Stardust” by H. Carmichael, I like this one also because the romantic feeling of it, and the way the instruments where being played.  The third one “Coming Home baby” by H. Mann, tremendous energy put by Jessie when playing with out stooping, that was awesome. He play the sax, sang and dance while the other instruments, the pianist, bassist and drummer were improvising. Other instruments that really caught my attention were the drums and piano. People were enjoying every minute of this concert, great coordination of all the instruments, everything very organized, my personal opinion I think this band full of students have a great talent and a bright future ahead of them, they have a good chance of becoming wonderful musicians. This was a great experience for my self-attending this concert, I had the opportunity to meet a very special person in Jessie and to be part of a very professional show of Jazz music. 
Leany2131
Novice

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2010, 01:58:30 pm »

This is my first time going to a Jazz concert, I didn’t like jazz before, until this day. The concert in my opinion was great; there were three trumpets, five trombones, and five Saxes; there were also a piano, a guitar, two drums and one bass. The concert began first by the MDC band which played 5 songs. The guest Jessie Jones was in the second part of the concert he started with a song named Just Friends follow by Stardust and four other songs. There was a girl who played a saxophone, her name was Deandra Mendez, and she was the only girl in the concert. She played the instrument with Jessie Jones Jr. who has more than 50 years in music, this duo was excellent it was very interesting and it made me stay so concentrated in the two saxophones while they were playing the music Jessie and the girl worked together in a spontaneous way. Jessie Jones has made two discs named: “Soul Serenade” and “So Then Collection”. He is going on a road concert for different parts of the world such as Germany. Furthermore he is a well spoken men with a great humor he put a lot of enthusiasm in the night. This guy knows how to interact with the crow. It makes the young and the old love the music with laugh and joy; therefore he is a good improviser. Jessie Jones enjoyed every single song that he played during the concert. He sat down with the crowd while the drummers where played, which I think it is something good to interact with people in the concert, in my opinion Jessie Jones feels the music, he showed that he loves what he does.The mood in the auditorium was very enthusiastic and I noticed that people in there were enjoying all the pieces that was been playing that night.
The two part of the concert was very organized and well develop, the band was great and I have to say that my favorite instrument in the concert was the piano played by Randy Tomasello.
Leany Soto
Lauren0758
Novice

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2010, 06:45:04 am »

Lauren SanBartolome
2-27-2010

On February 9, 2010, I had the opportunity to attend the “Jazz Ensemble Concert” featuring Jesse Jones Jr. This is the first jazz concert that I have had the chance to attend. I was excited to experience something new. I like jazz but have not been exposed too much. The band was made up of MDC students and directed by Matt Bonelli.

The concert started with a piece called Basie Straight Ahead. I enjoyed the saxophone solo, it was really upbeat. I was surprised that I was able to recognize the drummer playing the crash cymbals, he was playing that typical swing 1- 2 beat. I was also able to recognize the improvisation as they played their instruments. I truly enjoyed this piece. It had that “swinging” feel. It had me tapping my feet.

The Steely Shuffle was the piece that followed. This ensemble had a bluesy feel to it. The trombone was very prominent. I also really enjoyed the trumpet solo. One of the trumpet players was using a mute to change the sound of his trumpet. It totally changed the feel of his solo. His solo was differentiated from the others. It was a very upbeat and catchy composition. This piece also had an electric guitar solo that was amazing. I like the sound of the electric guitar, and honestly didn’t know that it was used in jazz bands. I was pleasantly surprised.

The Sentimental Journey was different than the first two songs. It started off really soft and pretty, but slowly went crescendo. It had a very romantic feel to it. Toward the middle of the ensemble it started to speed up a bit, but still had a more somber tone than the previous ones. This piece was very well executed and beautiful. I think that this performance was definitely my favorite.

The piece that followed was called “Chameleon”. I was pleased to be able to recognize the “call and answer” between the musicians. The trombone solo was incredible. Jesse Jones joined in on this piece with the saxophone. His enthusiasm and excitement while playing showed through his solo, it engaged me.

Overall I had an amazing experience attending this jazz concert. I am grateful for the opportunity to expand my musical horizons. I thoroughly enjoyed it. I learned that I like jazz more that I ever thought I would. I really enjoyed the sound of the trumpet and saxophone, and now find myself looking up videos on YouTube and listening to music with these instruments! I’m excited to continue learning more about this genre of music, and hopefully have the chance to attend more concerts like this.

Natasha4466
Novice

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2010, 12:59:47 pm »

On February 9, 2010 at 7:30pm in McCarthy Auditorium I attended my first time MDC jazz concert and also my first time ever attending a music concert. I have to say I had no idea what to expect from this Jazz concert, I was not sure if I was going to like it or Absolutely hate it just because I never listen to jazz music its not really my type of music, but after attending this concert it has opened my eyes to a whole new level and to my surprise, it was really interesting. I really enjoyed the performance very much. Also I had the opportunity to listen to all the different instruments and to observe how they look like and just experience the sounds they make in person. As soon as the musician came on to stage, I realized that this band was mainly composed of students who were very young and looked nervous yet excited to play. I was able to identify each musician thanks to the booklet we were given. The whole concert was divided in two parts. The band opened with “Basie Straight Ahead” by S. Nestico, this song had a great swing feel to it and the Saxes performed very well. I enjoyed the saxophone solo, it was really upbeat. I was surprised that I was able to recognize the drummer playing the crash cymbals; he was playing a swing 1- 2 beat. Some of the instruments used in each song by the band were trombones, trumpets, saxophones, a piano, a guitar, a bass and two drums. The songs played were very much enjoyed some had a harmonious rhythm others a serious tone or even a sentimental tone. In the second song was called “Steely Shuffle” by T. Kubis, a soloist named Michael Foguer did an outstanding job as he played very well with the band which to me blows me away to take the spot light like that and not be scared to mess up. it was almost the same as the first song but more moving. To me the band looked like they were finally starting to warm up and be more conferrable. The same thing happened like in the first song; David Hernandez got up and performed another solo. We all enjoy the great swing feeling because everybody was moving in their seats, taping their feet, and clapping at the same time it really was a great experience. This piece also had an electric guitar solo that was amazing. I like the sound of the electric guitar. In the third song (Sentimental Journey) there was a little bit more action,  David Hernandez performed his solo and right after I believe, Pedro Ramos and Julio Mejia started sort of a battle, they exchanged notes he bass had the walking beat, piano, and drums players were outstanding too. Its great to see the audience get into it and really feel the music. Toward the middle of the ensemble it started to speed up a bit, but still had a more somber tone than the previous ones. And the fourth song “Chameleon” by: H. Hanbaton, which had many things going on between the base rhythm of the song mixed with the many solos that were involved. It was a great song maybe my favorite! I definitely would recommend to a friend to go watch this concert and I really enjoyed the fourth song so very much. Over all I loved the concert and I am glad I got to experience my first concert ever at a jazz concert.
Natasha Cantin
« Last Edit: April 20, 2010, 01:33:13 pm by Natasha4466 » Logged
Giselle0303
Songwriter (10 points)

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2010, 07:49:26 am »

I would have really like to see this  soloist named Michael Foguer . From reading these critiques, it sounds like he did an amazing job! This sounds like a concert I would have really enjoyed.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: