The Student Lounge
November 19, 2017, 09:10:02 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: All posts and revisions must be completed on or before 6:00 am on July 31st. NO EXCEPTIONS.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Variations and Improvisations for Piano 11/18  (Read 9280 times)
Brian C. Wuttke
Administrator
Musical Legend

View Profile WWW
« on: November 17, 2009, 10:06:55 am »

Variations and Improvisations
Wednesday, October 18th, 12:00 noon

I taught it, but did they learn?
David2202
Novice

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2009, 09:59:36 pm »

On Tuesday November 18, 2009 I attended the concert in Building 8 at Miami Dade College called “A Journey on Variations and Improvisations: From Bach to Jazz.” It was a piano recital. There were two performers, Fabiana Claure and William Villaverde. They are husband and wife. Both pianists are highly credited and currently students receiving full scholarships to the University of Miami. Both are seeking their doctorate degree.
   The first piece of the concert was played by Fabiana Claure. It was English Suite No.3 in G Minor. The piece was composed by J.S Bach. The first movement was a prelude. I particularly liked what she played with the left hand in the beginning. It was a scale and the left hand provided staccato chords. After each movement, she would give a description of the movement that followed. The next movement was significantly slower in tempo.  To be honest, this piece, although executed perfectly, was pretty boring. It would be something that I’d listen to help me get some sleep. The third movement was a lot faster in tempo and the movement. This movement was the most entertaining.
   Next she played Variations on a Theme by S. Rodriguez. She played the arrangement of Cuban composer Andres Alen. The piece had about ten variations. She played them three by three and would explain each movement. The seventh variation, I believe was in a minor key. It was my favorite because it was so different from the others. It had very dissonant chords. The final variation had restatements of the first and then came to an end. It was a good piece.
   After this song she bowed and sat down. Her husband William Villaverde took the stage. Villaverde introduced each piece by describing what you would hear. The first piece he played was three etudes called Jazz Concert Etude No.3 written by Nikolai Kapustin. The first movement was a toccata. The next was a bagatelle and the final was a prelude. The next song he played was my favorite of the entire concert. It was his own arrangement on the jazz standard, Autumn Leaves. I’ve listened to and played many different arrangements of Autumn Leaves but Villaverde’s arrangement BY FAR was one of the best. He plays the song with a Latin jazz feel. This was easily the most technical and entertaining piece of the whole concert.
   To close, both Villaverde and Claure played together. They played a song by I. Cervantes entitled Three Cuban Dances for Four Hands. It was three movements and was entertaining because I have never seen two pianists play on the same piano at once in a concert. The concert overall was fantastic. The song choices were excellent and the two performers were great at performing but also great in explaining what it is that they are playing and letting the audience know exactly what to look for in the music.   

great show  Cheesy

-David2202
susana7954
Afficionado (5 points)

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2009, 07:35:56 am »

On Wednesday, November 18, 2009 I attended “A Journey on Variations and improvisations: From Bach to Jazz.” This concert was performed by Fabiana Claure and William Villaverde, both piano players. The concert was composed of 3 different parts. The first one was Fabiana playing English Suite No. 3 in G minor BWV 808 by J.S. Bach and the other was Variations on the theme by S. Rodriguez. The English suit No. 3 has 3 main pieces. The first one was the prelude, and then the alternating of solo and the third piece was the tutti. Over all the melody was soft and inspiring. The first part of the English suite No. 3 was played straight up and then repetoyion. Notes sound in a loud tone, very close to each other but a soft melody. The last part of the English suit No. 3 was the fastest because it was representing a dance. It was played all straight up with no pauses. The second piece performed by Fabiana was the Variations on the theme. It was composed of 10 different variations. It was written by Andres Alen a Cuban composer. The first three variations were played together non stopping. Slow melody but keeping the audience interested in it. First sweet sounds and then it goes fast through the middle and goes back to slow. Over all I loved this piece. I think it had a unique style. The second set of variations was called, Havanera. This set was fallowed by an inverted theme and uses same melody with different variations. The whole piece is in G major, except the last variation written in G minor. Last set of variations, Cha-Cha-cha. The cha-cha-cha is a dance that was compressed all into piano, but you are able to hear all the orchestra playing. It was a very lyrical piece. I loved the part where she is only using her left hand to play and uses the entire keyboard. The second part of the concert was performed by William Villaverde. The first piece he played was called Toccatina. It had a very fast pace. I can’t believe how he was able to play it. It has been one of the fastest pieces played in piano that I have ever heard. The second part of the toccatina was the Bagatelle. It was slower that the first part but very interesting. I loved the part where he slides his fingers through the whole keyboard. The last part of this piece was the Prelude. Almost the same as the previous ones. He also played, “ Autumn leaves “by Joseph Kosma and arranged by him. The third and last part of the concert was played by both of them. They played in duo, a composition was Cervantes called “Three Cuban Dances for Four hands”. The concert was extraordinary!!!!  Wink
Juian0385
Novice

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2009, 10:25:18 pm »

While attending Miami Dade College on a Wednesday afternoon on November 18, 2009, I saw A Journey on Variations and Improvisations: From Bach to Jazz. The performance was locked away in a corner room of 8122. Both performers are on pianist; they began their careers in Latin America (the cultural countries not the restaurants). These two performers have won ample awards and they came to show us their skills, not their achievements.

There was an interesting mix of music here. They had a mix of Baroque music mixed with Jazz music. The first piece, English Suite No.3 was played by Fabiana Claure. Begun with a prelude in sharp, a slow middle, and a fast finally. What stun me the most was that it was mostly improvised but it did sound very sharp for my ears. Slow and sad in the middle, while the finally was hurried. After was Variations on a theme by S. Rodriguez who is a Cuban composer. The first, for me, was uplifting and sounded a little bit like there was a dialog going on. Part two was fast and harsh, violent dialog was happening here. And the big finally was jolly, I felt like it was Christmas morning and I finally got that XBox360 with the games Left 4 Dead 2 and Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2.

Enough with Fabiana, lets talk about this next guy called William Villaverde. He did something interesting, a piece called Autumn Leaves in the winter (awkward). Right off the bat you can tell this is not an American piece. It has Latin flavored music that is hit fast, even though he did mess up at the end. The crowed forgave him for that, relax everyone. From Fabiana to William, together make a finger crazy couple, literally. There Cuban Dances for four hands is the title and provided here on the pamphlet. Divided into three parts, La Camagueyana was fast and kept everyone interested. Los Delirios de Rosita was a slow waltz for me, getting to know someone for the first time sort of deal. And the last part of Los Munecos, with out doubt the coolest part of the whole concert. Here both pianists knocked on the piano itself to make a kind of maraca sound to it. All these parts were played together on the same piano.

Now to say something I do not like about it Grin. It did lack a little something for my taste. May be it was the place where they played it, the people around, or simply that it was a weird arrangement of people. Other than that is was a concert that entertained me. 
Midalys7053
Novice

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2009, 08:54:08 am »

On Tuesday November 18, 2009 I attended the concert at Miami Dade College called “A Journey on Variations and Improvisations: From Bach to Jazz.” It was hold in building 8 and it was a piano recital. It was performed by two very talented artists, Fabiana Claure and William Villa Verde, who not only play together but are also husband and wife. Both pianists are highly talented and current students of the University of Miami.
   The first piece of the concert was played by Fabiana Claure. It was English Suite No.3 in G Minor, composed by J.S Bach. The first movement was a prelude. I was surprised and amazed how well she played with her left hand only this movement.  She would describe each movement and the one that followed. The next movement was significantly slower in tempo.  I particularly like these kinds of slower tempo movements, I feel like if I can appreciate and get more in touch with the music, kind of feel it a little more. The third movement was a lot faster in tempo and the movement. This movement was the most entertaining I would say to most people, but personally I sometimes get lost in the notes and lose track and kind of block out the melody.
   After this one she played Variations on a Theme by S. Rodriguez. Also the arrangements by Cuban composer Andres Allen. This piece had about ten variations. She divided them in three by threes and would explain each movement.  I believe the seventh variation was in key minor. It was very different from the others because it had very dissonant chords.  And then the final variation had pieces of the first and then came to an end. It was a very interesting piece.
  She stood up, bowed and then her husband William Villa Verde took the stage. Villa Verde always described what he would play before you heard it.  I guess so we the listeners could keep track or imagine, maybe even relating to the piece. The first piece he played was three etudes called Jazz Concert Etude No.3 written by Nikolai Kapustin. The first movement of this piece was a toccata and the next one was a bagatelle. The final movement was a prelude. The next song he played was my favorite of the entire concert. It was his own arrangement on the jazz standard, Autumn Leaves. To me, this was the most entertaining piece of the whole concert.
   To close the show, both Villa Verde and Claure played together. They played a song by Ignacio Cervantes entitled “Three Cuban Dances for Four Hands”. It was three movements. It was very entertaining and special seeing these two pianists playing together on the same piano.  Their chemistry and passion showed and dominated through out the entire piece. The concert, overall, was fantastic. The song choices were excellent and the two performers were great at performing but also very instructive by explaining what it is that they are playing and letting the audience know exactly what to look for in the music. 

Definetly two thumbs up Wink
Javon7274
Novice

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2009, 04:18:46 pm »

On Wednesday, November 18, 2009 at 12 noon, I attended my first piano recital ever. It was held at Miami- Dade College in the Hernandez Building, Room 8122. As I walked in I noticed that the house was pretty full, luckily for me I was able to find myself a great seat up front, which enabled me to enjoy what I was about to encounter. The recital at hand was named: A Journey on Variations and Improvisations: From Bach to Jazz. The performers were two students from the University of Miami, Fabiana Claure and William Villaverde, both of these individuals are pursuing their Doctorate of Musical Arts degree in Piano Performance. 

The opening piece was played by Claure; it was English Suite No. 3 in G minor BWV 808 composed by J.S. Bach. This piece had three parts and I personally thought it was boring, however, the young lady sitting next to me began to cry, which made me perk up and really pay attention.  The second piece played was named Variations on a theme by S. Rodriquez arranged by Andres Alen. It started off in a very relaxing manner, similar to the music from a Soap Opera, very heavenly, yet dramatic. The second part mirrored that of the first, the sound was very dissonant. Its tempo then sped up to a point where you almost felt like standing up and dancing. The ending was very strong by the sounds that were exhibited, and left a lasting impression on the audience, I feel.   

Next, William Villaverde took the stage and he opened with the Jazz Concert Etude No. 3 “Toccatina” composed by N. Kapustin. Arranged in three parts the first was Toccatina which was really fast paced, once he pressed the first key, I was hooked and ready to listen to whatever else he was to deliver. Bagatelle was the next part of Toccatina; it was significantly slower, yet entertaining, plus at this point the emotion on his face was priceless. This particular piece ended with the Prelude. Villaverde then played Autumn Leaves composed by Joseph Kosma originally but Villaverde arranged this piece in his own way and it absolutely amazing because it had this Jazz feel to it and I was literally moving in my seat, rocking to the beautiful and well thought out melody. 

Fabiana Claure and William Villaverde wrapped up their performance in a manner that left me speechless. It was a piece composed by I. Cervantes entitled Three Cuban Dances for four hands. This piece in particular had three movements. The title of this piece should have given away what was a surprise to me; there were literally four hands on one piano at the same time. I was totally floored when I saw this, only in movies had I seen such a thing, these two talents are absolutely genius in my opinion to be able to execute something that takes so much skill so beautifully.

Honestly, I am grateful that I was able to attend this piano recital; it really opened my mind to be readily accepting to all genres of music. 
Tatiana8403
Novice

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2009, 07:12:19 pm »

On Wednesday, November 18, 2009 I attended the “ A Journey On Variations and Improvisations: From Bach to Jazz” concert in the Hernandez Building, room 8122. The concert was performed by two pianist that were also students of the University of Miami. There names were Fabiana Claure and William Villaverde.
                Fabiana started off the program by playing English Suite No.3 in G minor composed by J.S. Bach. This suite had 3 movements to it and before she played each one she would describe and explain each one. The first movement was the Prelude composed by Bach and was for dances in the Baroque period. This movement had a fast tempo and rhythm. It sounded all proper and fancy like. The next movement originated in South America and was exported from Spain during colonization. It started off slow and soft and remained that way throughout the entire movement. It sounded all melancholy and would be a good song to put one to sleep. The last movement was for a dance called Jigs and is French, has no repetoyions and was played to wrap up the suite. It had a very fast tempo and rhythm, with variations in the pitch.
                The next piece she played was Variations on a theme composed by a Cuban composer of 1950, Andres Alen. This piece has 10 variations. The first variation is soft and easy going and sounds like a sad story being told. I liked and enjoyed this variation. It was soft and relaxing yet it kept me interested throughout the entire piece. Another variation was a left hand base pattern, and was an inverted pattern as well meaning it was a mirror like image technique. This variation starts of rather quick but it feels as though it is being played fast yet slow at the same time. And in the piece it rises and gets very loud but then goes back to being really soft at the end. The next one goes into this Jazz tonal type and then slows down. Finally the last set of variations begins with a cha cha cha, then in the middle it fades away interestingly and goes into a toccata, with repeated octaves and leads into the final theme.
                The piece after was the Jazz Concert Etude No. 3 “Toccatina”. It started off fast with a jazz kind of feel to it. Then with the Bagatelle Op., No. 8 it sounded jazz like as well and it had fast notes but it was played rather soft and slow paced. The sound of it reminded me of one of those old movies where the detective is sitting in his office late at night contemplating who committed the murder or crime. Also the Jazz Concert Etude No. 1 sounded a bit more modern but it still had that jazz feel to it and had a rather fast tempo.
                 The following piece after was played by William Villaverde in which he played Autumn Leaves composed by Joseph Kosma. This piece sounded very Latin when it began and moved moderately, not fast yet not slow. I truly liked this piece and it was very intriguing and stimulating. Made me wanted to start dancing salsa!
                 Last but not least the last piece of the concert was Three Cuban Dances for Four hands composed by I. Cervantes (1847-1905) and was played by both Fabiana and William. This piece was rather interesting since both played the piano at the same time and it was played in a moderate tempo. This had to be one of my favorite pieces of the entire concert and I loved and found it interesting how they used the back of the piano, and hit and knocked on it and used the piano as a percussion instrument together with the song and performance.  Grin
nattalie7035
Novice

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2009, 12:38:28 am »

On Wednesday November 18, 2009 I  was able to attend the piano concert at Miami Dade College called, "A Journey on Vatriations and Improvisations: From Bach to Jazz". This was my first concert recital, aside from friends who like to perform in their living rooms. The concert was performed by Fabiana Claure and William Villaverde, who also happen to be students themselves which attend the University of Miami. I think the concert was great because they mixed the classical music which we have all heard,with the ever popular jazz music. The first piece that Fabiana Claure played, was the opening piece and it was English suite no. 3 in G minor, which was originally composed by Bach. I really enjoyed this piece because I heard a piece of it once but never knew what it was called. I think Fabian did an amazing job at recreating this piece. The first movement in this piece was a prelude. Fabiana was very good at describing each movement she would do.
Afterwards she played Variations on a theme by S. Rodriguez arranged by a Cuban composer by the name of Andres Alen. At first, this piece started of a bit mellow yet had a dramatic edge to it, but it kept you very interested. Little by little, the tempo began to get faster, more to an upbeat tone. I like the ending the most. To be honest this isn't at all my type of music or the regular music I listen to on a daily basis, but the way she played, and the mixtures of this piece, really made me get into it, and feel the music. I very much appreciated Fabiana for her performance and the way she can entertain a crowd, especially someone like me who at first did not appreciate this type of music.
Once Fabiana Claure finished her piece, William Villaverde, who also happens to be her husband, then took the stage to begin his part of the recital. One thing I very much liked about William is that he would discribe and explain to the audience what he was going to do so that everyone, like me, who didnt understand could keep up with the tempo and the changes very easily. The first piece that he played was called Jazz Concert Etude No.3 written by Nikolai Kapustin. The first movement happened to be a toccatina and then ended with a bagatelle. The toccatina was very fast and upbeat and once it changed to a bagatelle you could tell the difference because it was much slower than the first part.
I very much enjoyed this concert. I've always been facinated by the piano and wished that I could play it myself. You could tell that both Fabiana Claure and William Villaverde take pride in their work and that is very nice and refreshing to see in a performer. I think more people should have respect towards the work that pianists do. I think they were both extremely talented and I wouldn't mind going to another concert.  Grin
Midalys7053
Novice

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2009, 09:30:26 am »

I´m very surprised at how many people liked this recital.  Not that many people appreciate or take the time to attend a concert, and even less if it is a classical music concert.  I appreciate it and enjoyed this one very much because of the great talent that it provided for the audience.  Also, because i once studied a little bit of piano when i was younger and kind of appreciate it and understand it a little bit more than other instruments.  I´m really glad people enjoyed and had a new experience with classical music. Grin
Meghan6203
Novice

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2009, 04:19:15 pm »

On Wednesday, November 18, 2009 I watched a piano recital called a journey on variations and improvisations: from Bach to jazz by Fabiana Claure and William Villaverde.  The atmosphere of the concert was bland it did not match the music or help enhance it. The first performer was fabiana claure the first three songs she played were English sweets from 1714. The first song was not very memorable and it seemed as if the pianist messed up a few times, it was generally a prelude to Italian concertos. The song alternated between two solos and had a lively tempo. Towards the end of the song there was a quick crescendo and a slow decrescendo. The second sweet originated in Central America the song was played straight through and was then played with ornamentation, repetoyion. It had a slow tempo and in the middle it sounded as if the pianist messed up a bit but other than that it was played well. the third song she played was one of the fastest songs played in the concert, it was a jig. The song had a quick tempo and had many small quick crescendos and decrescendos it was the shortest song played and my second favorite of the night. The last song that Ms. Claure played on her own was a song by Andres soles a twenty first century Cuban pianist. This song had ten different variations. The prelude was slow and slowly increased in volume it made me think of a love song. The song had a ternary format. One of the variations was called a habanera that had an inverted hymn and in the end it seemed as if it was going to end with high notes and loud but had a pleasantly surprising twist it ended with soft low notes. The song was played again using the mirror technique. In the last variation the base pattern was being played in the left hand while the right hand played the improvisation imitating toccata repeated note. The song had a quick tempo the theme reappears at the end of the last variation. The second performer William villaverde also played four songs. The first was a toccata it was the third elude of a set of eight in a jazz concert. The song had a quick tempo and was very loud the song lowered slightly during the middle but then rose again towards the end. The second song he played was a bogatel from the classical jazz genre it had a moderately slow tempo and many crescendos. The song would have had a better impact if the atmosphere had been different. The third song was a prelude it had a nice melody but the pianist messed up the song and tried to play it again but after his second attempt at playing the song he gave up. The fourth song was his version of a song called autumn leaves it had an interesting melody and a moderate to quick tempo. With his left hand he played a base pattern and with his right he played all the keys in rapid succession. At the end of the performance the pianists had a surprise for the audience they played a song together it was a four hand Cuban dance. The melody was not defined in the beginning the tempo was moderate to fast and the pianists knocked on the piano along with the song. The last song was definitely the most memorable song played! Smiley
susana7954
Afficionado (5 points)

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2009, 08:35:48 am »

After i went to 4 different concerts throughout the semester i have to say that this one was the best of all. I agree with some saying that the place it was held was just too small. but what matters is their performance and music. i loved it....
kevin3390
Novice

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2009, 04:29:54 pm »

On November 8th of 2009 I chose to attend the concert called  “A Journey on Variations and Improvisations: From Bach to Jazz.” The concert took place at Miami Dade College kendall campus at approximately 8 pm.  This concert consisted of only two performers which was a surprise because the last concert I attended was the Hispanic Music Concert which had a variation of performers and also had a wider variety of music. I actually enjoyed this concert but not as much as I enjoyed the last one. The two performers are a couple who both currently study at the University of Miami on scholarships. Their names were Fabiana Claure and William Villaverde. The first piece was performed by Fabiana Claure and was J.S Bach’s English Suite No.3 in G Minor. The composers full name is Johann Sebastian Bach and he was a German composer and an organist, whose ecclesiastical and secular works for choir, orchestra, and solo instruments drew together the strands of the Baroque period and brought it to its ultimate maturity  The piece was separated into three movements. The first two movements were rather boring and did not keep the audience engaged in the performance, the last movement however was a faster tempo and had a great sound to it. The second performance was also by Fabiana Claure and consisted of Variations on a Theme by S. Rodriguez. This performance contained about nine or ten variations in it, She played the arrangement of Cuban composer Andres Alen. After performing this piece she took a bow and her husband William Villaverde got up on stage to begin performing. William would begin his performance with three etudes called Jazz Concert Etude No.3 which was written by Nikolai Kapustin. Of the three movements The first movement was a toccata, which is a virtuoso piece of music typically for a keyboard, generally without interludes, emphasizing the dexterity of the performer's fingers. The second movement was a bagatelle and the final was a prelude. The second piece he performed was his very own arrangement on Autumn Leaves, jazz standard. Originally a 1945 French song "Les feuilles mortes" literally meaning "The Dead Leaves". The concert ended with a performance by the couple, I thought it was pretty cool how they both played together on the piano, they played a song called Three Cuban Dances for Four Hands, which was written by I. Cervantes. I was overall pretty pleased with the pieces that were played by the two performers. I look forward to attending another concert in the future!
Victor5336
Novice

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2009, 05:12:15 pm »

On November 18th, 2009 I attended the concert titled “A Journey on Variations and Improvisations: From Bach to Jazz.” It featured two very talented pianists. The first was a young woman named Fabiana Claure. She performed two pieces; the first was called J.S Bach’s English Suite No.3 in G Minor. She did a great job introducing the pieces and providing background information. However, her first piece did not retain the attention of the crowd. Her second piece was Variations on a Theme by S. Rodriguez. This piece had 10 movements and was written by an old instructor of hers. The second performer was named William Villaverde. His first piece was three etudes called Jazz Concert Etude No.3 written by Nikolai Kapustin. Although he seemed a bit more nervous his pieces were more interesting than the previous performer. His next piece was the jazz standard, Autumn Leaves. This was my personal favorite song from the entire concert. He performed his own arrangement of this piece with a latin feel. It was very entertaining. The closing piece featured both performers. It was titled Three Cuban Dances for Four Hands by I. Cervantes. It featured three movements with both performers playing the piano at the same time. It was a very entertaining concert.
farroll1565
Novice

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2009, 09:50:36 pm »

On November 18 2009 I attended the piano recital that starred fabiana cluare and William villaverde. Two pianist pursuing. Thier doctrates at the university of Miami. The piano concert entitled variations and improvisations jazz to Bach  
Fabiana started the concert With a piece By Bach, English suite no.3 in g minor.
She did the Bach justice and he would have been proud. Next was variations by s.
 Rodriguez the piece had many movements,   About nine or ten. After her performance. She passed the piano to William where he jazz up the concert with his musical selections Playing jazz students no.3 by kaputsin. The piece was in three movements the first was a taconnita, the second was a virutoso, and a bagettelle. Then he played his own piece autum leaves. The last song was oerformaned by both pianist and it was called  Three Cuban dances for four hands. They did a good. And I enjoyed vthe concert.  
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: