The Student Lounge
September 20, 2019, 03:11:50 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: THE FORUMS ARE CLOSED.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Cat Shell 10/23  (Read 5680 times)
Brian C. Wuttke
Administrator
Musical Legend

View Profile WWW
« on: November 10, 2009, 03:37:34 pm »

Cat Shell
Friday, October 23rd

I taught it, but did they learn?
yolna6162
Novice

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2009, 05:23:51 pm »

Cat Shell
Friday, October 23rd

On October 23, 2009, my husband and I attended a jazz show at the Schenbly Redland’s Winery.  Cat Shell, singer/songwriter performed along with her small band.  The band consisted of a drummer, a bass player, a pianist (keyboard player), and Cat Shell who sings and plays the guitar. The announcement from Schnebly Redland's Winery newsletter@schneblywinery.com stated “Cat is a Singer/Songwriter that brings a unique blend of jazz, blues and acoustic soul”.
  The band performed some of their own songs and some songs by well known artists.  The list of artist included Erykah Badu, Bill Withers, and Al Jarreau.  Most of the songs that were performed by the band were smooth, soft and peasant.  The music set a nice romantic mood to the evening.  They performed the song “Ain’t no Sunshine when she’s (he’s) Gone”.  This song is one of my favorite songs.  They performed the song very well.  Although the band consisted of only four instruments, the music filled the large Tiki covered area, splendidly.  The drummer played the drum with a wire brush and kept time along with the bass player.  The pianist performed a short solo improvisation right before the band was silent.  At which time, Cat Shell sang unaccompanied by the band “I know, I know….” The tempo of the song was a little faster with a little swing to it.  Cat sang very well and seemed to put her soul into the music.  The way she sang the song it was as though her lover had actually gone away.  She expressed the loss that one feels when their heart has been broken.
The band performed a version of the song “What Lola Want, Lola Gets”.  The song was presented with an upbeat and very seductive melody. The drummer had the leading role to the song verses keeping time.  The bass served more as a time keeper in the background for this song. As I looked around the room I noticed an older lady in a wheel chair swaying to the beat of this song.  Some of the children in the audience even sat momentarily to enjoy this song.  The singer sang in a deeper tone than the previous songs that were performed.  There was a couple who was sitting in one corner of the room.  While this song was being played they snuggled a little closer and swayed to the beat.   This song had a hypnotic feel to it.
The performance of the band was intriguing and entertaining.  The atmosphere of the performance was tranquil and idealistic for people that want a hassle free night out.
 Cool
Marydelsi0513
Novice

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2009, 05:51:19 pm »

Hello!
Will I am glad to here that you had a good time at the concret. I kind of wish now that I would have gone to that one. You sold me when you said that that song "Ain’t no Sunshine when she’s (he’s) Gone" was played, that is also on of my most favorite songs. I like all those type of songs. 
Barbara7022
Composer (15 points)

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2009, 07:01:42 pm »

I work at Sunset Tavern in South Miami and the Cat Shell Duo was booked to perform on a Friday a few weeks ago during one of our busiest happy hours of the week. The whole week we were talking her up and how she had such a great following, but she was late, unprepared and didn't even perform until two hours after she was to start.  ::)To top it off she played one song and then disappered again. It was a bust. She is supposed to redeem herself sometime this month on a Friday from 6-9pm. If anyone wants to come enjoy half of all drinks and all u can eat free food like raw oysters, shrimp batontail, fried chicken, pasta salads and more just call 305-665-9996 to get more information. If Cat Shell is not performing another great band will be performing.  Grin
Giselle0303
Songwriter (10 points)

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2010, 07:55:28 am »

I have heard of Cat shell also. I would have loved to go to this concert. It sounds to me like it was pretty great. I agree  “Ain’t no Sunshine when she’s (he’s) Gone” Is such a great song! I love when they perform songs that we actually know so we can sing along and hear the performers version of the song.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: