The Student Lounge
January 19, 2020, 01:53:10 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Each listening critique must contain a minimum of 300 words to receive credit.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Chamber Choir and Women's Choir 10/21/09  (Read 3593 times)
Brian C. Wuttke
Administrator
Musical Legend

View Profile WWW
« on: October 29, 2009, 10:58:44 am »

Chamber Choir and Women's Choir
Dr. Ken Boos, Coordinator
10/21/09 Riverside Baptist Church  12:00 noon

I taught it, but did they learn?
greg6691
Songwriter (10 points)

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2009, 05:29:41 pm »

Well, here is my concert critique:

Gregory Vila
October 29, 2009
MUL1010
Concert Critique 1
Professor Wuttke
On October 21. 2009, I had the opportunity to experience a truly surprising event. I had gone to a Chamber Choir and Women's Choir located at the Riverside Baptist Church right across from Miami Dade College.
Upon entering the vast mass, I was welcomed with open arms, despite dressing casually inside a church. The performance was; at first, a little slow and dragged out. Particularly because the Women's choir only consisted of only Soprano and Alto members. Whereas the chamber choir had more variation, with Tenor and Bass added in, the entire composition of the choir seemed to radiate a different mood. The difference between both choirs was like night and day. Not that either choir was better than the other; however, I felt the chamber choir offered more to the listeners both musically and emotionally.
For instance, whilst they sang "Kala kalla," there were two differing moods that coincided within one song. One section of the choir, which I believe to be the Tenor and Bass, sang in a slow tempo (Lento Moderato) and in a rather melancholic mood. Alongside this, the section finished slowly and predictably. On the other hand, the female section, composed of solely the Soprano and Alto members, busted forth with such Vivacissimo, fast speed and loud dynamics, that I was momentarily shocked. Also, they ended rather abruptly after they finished. Alternating between both the Bass/Tenor sections and the Alto/Soprano sections during the brief rests. Overall, from what I heard, I felt the Bass/Tenor section consisted of monophonic texture because all the men sang in unision and without accompanied melodic lines. In addition, the Alto/Soprano sections were also in a monophonic texture because of the unision and unaccompanied melodic lines. However, during the last bit of the composition, both sections combined to create a flurry of sound, which results in the creation of a monophonic texture.
Sadly, aside from this song, the others were simply uninteresting. Perhaps the sudden shift from a grave tempo to a vivo tempo captured my utmost attention. Also, I was rather disappointed with the lack of music instruments. Besides having a piano being the backbone of most, if not all, of their compositions, there were not that many other instruments that made any particular appearances. Well, there was one song, "The Gartan Mother's Lullaby," which featured a flute. However, I was sorely disappointed with the instrumental line-up. Perhaps the next concert may be more enjoyable, providing more variety and such. All in all, I still enjoyed the concert, especially “Kala kalla.” 
felisha9179
Composer (15 points)

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2009, 04:43:26 pm »

I am in the Chamber Choir and i totally agree with what you have to say about our instruments. But, sometimes its hard to get together to rehearse with so many different instrumentalist. Plus, its a choir so we want to show off our voices. But, i also wish we had more variety.
If you come to our concert on Sunday December 6, we have a piece with brass instruments and drums and piano. Plus, its a combined piece so its chamber choir and community choir. Its gonna be very interesting. You should come.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: