The Student Lounge
January 19, 2020, 01:56:20 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: THE FORUMS ARE CLOSED.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: I dont think that there is such thing as "the best music."  (Read 13564 times)
C@milo1527
Master Musician (20 points)

Rockin'

View Profile
« on: October 20, 2009, 09:54:23 pm »

That's all to the ear of the listener and his or her mood! I mean, if I put a 2pac CD, and you hear it, you will most likely not like it! I personally dont have a "favorite music!" It all depends on my mood.. If im stressed i'll throw in a little 2pac or Method man CD, or just hip-hop in general. If im sad, I'll put one of my dad's Enigma or The Beatles CD's. Or if im worried, i'll listen to some classical music(89.7 I think). All of the music you hear is all based on your mood! If you're with a lady you put something that'll make her think that you're the sweetest and most caring. Me personally, i'll throw in something like that song from Destiny's child, independent! That way she can take her wallet out and help me with w/e we spend that night! Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Yeah, if a girl reads this, I get the impression that is what she'll do!  Roll Eyes Well  Angry
« Last Edit: October 20, 2009, 09:56:52 pm by C@milo1527 » Logged

It's not what you know, but what you can prove!
felisha9179
Composer (15 points)

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2009, 01:22:13 pm »

I agree with you in that there is no set "best music".  "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder" and i think the same goes for music. What is amazing for me, might not be of interest to someone else at all. This happens to me a lot. I really love broadway show tunes or music similar to that, but a lot of people really dislike it. Just like i dont like rap, but some people cant live without listening to it. It all depends on who you are and what you enjoy. Yes, i believe that some of the best music ever written contains the classics by Beethoven and Mozart, but i also think that Gershwin and Bernstein are on that list, as well as some contemporaries like Paul McCartney. I have  learned to appreciate all types of music, and so even if its not my favorite to listen to, i can respect that everyone likes their own style of music.

C@milo1527

Rockin'

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2009, 10:05:31 pm »

I agree with you in that there is no set "best music".  "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder" and i think the same goes for music. What is amazing for me, might not be of interest to someone else at all. This happens to me a lot. I really love broadway show tunes or music similar to that, but a lot of people really dislike it. Just like i dont like rap, but some people cant live without listening to it. It all depends on who you are and what you enjoy. Yes, i believe that some of the best music ever written contains the classics by Beethoven and Mozart, but i also think that Gershwin and Bernstein are on that list, as well as some contemporaries like Paul McCartney. I have  learned to appreciate all types of music, and so even if its not my favorite to listen to, i can respect that everyone likes their own style of music.

Wow! You dont like rap? Huh At all? I guess like you said, beauty is within the eye(or ear in this case) of the beholder. But, I think that goes for everything. Cars, homes, even partners. For me is all based on my mood. I dont think that I have a particualr preference in music.

felisha9179
Composer (15 points)

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2009, 09:54:30 am »

I just dont prefer rap. Im the kind of person that appreciated all kind of music so i cant say i hate it. I love music its a big part of me..i just dont prefer to listen to rap lol although i did have a phase, but that was in middle school and well.. we all know how that is.. but now, i just like good music. Im pretty openminded Smiley
Ivette6004
Afficionado (5 points)

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2009, 10:14:18 pm »

I enjoy just about any genre, and like my friend up there, it depends greatly on my mood. I have noticed that when it comes to music, the language does not matter (to me!!) I have listended to and enjoyed a nice variety of music styles, from spanish balads to brazilian zamba, Indu, Country, Jazz, in short a lot of different types and found that if you have the right company and ambiance, the language used for the lyrics or the style doesn't really matter. Thisk of Disney, specifically Epcot, you go from one country to the next and while there you are surrounded by everything regarding the particular country or region ...we go and love it so much we go back despite the expense and the unpredictable weather conditions. So yeah, it's more about the mood than anything else. And about 2pac, I do not like the music itself, but his lyrics have influenced a great number of artists and are definitely something to experience, again if one can block out the boom boom in the back ground.  Undecided

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act but a habit." - Aristotle
Ivette6004
Afficionado (5 points)

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2009, 10:30:54 pm »

I just realized that the last word on the fourth line was a typo ...I meant to type "think of Disney ..." LOL sorry  Tongue

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act but a habit." - Aristotle
Naureen4495
Afficionado (5 points)

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2009, 07:26:06 pm »

I would like to agree with the first post.
For me there is no such thing as a favorite song or favorite genre of music.
I listen to different music at different times. When I am sad I listen to more of the instrumental songs to help sooth my thoughts and when I am happy I listen to more of the upbeat kind of music to keep me in that mood. It just depends on how the person views their mood and how music can help them enhance it!

* Naureen *
C@milo1527

Rockin'

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2009, 08:50:20 pm »

I enjoy just about any genre, and like my friend up there, it depends greatly on my mood. I have noticed that when it comes to music, the language does not matter (to me!!) I have listended to and enjoyed a nice variety of music styles, from spanish balads to brazilian zamba, Indu, Country, Jazz, in short a lot of different types and found that if you have the right company and ambiance, the language used for the lyrics or the style doesn't really matter. Thisk of Disney, specifically Epcot, you go from one country to the next and while there you are surrounded by everything regarding the particular country or region ...we go and love it so much we go back despite the expense and the unpredictable weather conditions. So yeah, it's more about the mood than anything else. And about 2pac, I do not like the music itself, but his lyrics have influenced a great number of artists and are definitely something to experience, again if one can block out the boom boom in the back ground.  Undecided
LMAO Boom boom, huh? LOL  Roll Eyes The boom boom you talk about, gives the music that... catching approach. And I completely agree with what you mean about the language. I have cought myself jammin' to all types of random music, such as indian, haitian, arabian, and alot of jamaican.. lol Batie boy...lol I learned that in some jamaican song.
What makes a piece go together well, is(in my eyes) a good beat. Like in some hip hop songs. Have you heard the lyrics? The're just plain dumb. But, it sounds great with the beat. Some, in the contrary, are very good! Like M&M's lyrics. His lyrics are great. And the best thing about them, is that they come from his personal experiance. From his heart. All n all, I love all types of music. Even with different languages. Oh, btw, I love your avatar pic. I changed mine. Mine is better! LOL  Grin

Michael4339
Novice

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2009, 08:23:04 pm »

There can't be such a thing as the best music because everyone's preferences are different. For example, I am not a fan of rap and hip-hop (in general) and I hate Reggaeton (but that's really because of my neighbors when I lived in Puerto Rico, but that's a story for another time). Listening to a lot of rap and hip-hop in middle school, I realize now that many of the songs I listened to had no point, lyrically. Obviously, there are a few exceptions, but the majority of it has no point (or maybe I just heard a bad batch of songs?) My preferences have changed drastically since the days of middle school, now heavily oriented in the rock genre. A lot of older bands like The Beatles and Pink Floyd, as well as newer "heavier" bands like Killswitch Engage and Bullet for my Valentine. Either way, just cause I say that it's awesome doesn't mean it's the best because, inevitably, everyone has their own likes and dislikes.
Tiane2500

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2009, 02:34:05 pm »

There is no such thing as the best music! Maybe the most technically "best" but not best in general. I believe it is up to the listener to determine what they believe to be the best and what they enjoy listening to.

Dare to live <3
Anabella5523

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2010, 11:52:14 am »

I also agree with you, there is not such a thing like "best music". I also hear different types of music depending of my mood, but I have some favorites styles like romantic, pop music from the 80s, and classical music. Maybe when  some people talks about "best music" they are talking about music that it's best for the human being in general. As an example, I remember a psychological study I read a long time ago. A group of of people took an exam with different types of music, classical, salsa, and rock. The group did much better while listening classical music, the second best was salsa, and the worst was rock. It seems that classical music improves your memory, mood, brain development, and that's why it improves test scores. I believe it's called the "Mozart Effect."

"Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and life to everything."
Laurie0427
Afficionado (5 points)

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2010, 08:15:29 am »

There is a thing such a thing as "the best music" but it is the best music for each individual. Your idea of "the best music" just might not be my choice of best music. I enjoy most music but some genres (like rap, death metal and a few others) I cannot stand may have a catchy tune once in a while that i can say Wow that's the best. So I agree that it is all to each individuals taste because
Carlos4177

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2010, 07:44:09 am »

I definitely agree that the best music is in the ear of the beholder.  We can all share what we feel is the best music, but we also have to keep an open mind to what other poples opinions are.  And with that said, there will be an ongoing debate as to what is "the best music"
ashley2333
Composer (15 points)

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2010, 09:44:36 pm »

If you're with a lady you put something that'll make her think that you're the sweetest and most caring. Me personally, i'll throw in something like that song from Destiny's child, independent! That way she can take her wallet out and help me with w/e we spend that night! Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Yeah, if a girl reads this, I get the impression that is what she'll do!  Roll Eyes Well  Angry

Lmao. Sorry to burst your bubble, but I hardly doubt that she'll pull her wallet out and help pay for whatever you guys spend that night, or at least I wouldn't. Haha. But it's alwasy worth a try..
maria2619
Afficionado (5 points)

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2010, 09:00:18 am »

I think great music just like art is in the eyes of the beholder. It's all about how music makes you feel and the emotions it gives you when you hear it. One type of music, group, song, or artist can give one a completly different feeling then it might give another person.
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: