The Student Lounge
September 20, 2019, 03:17:43 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: THE FORUMS ARE CLOSED.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Miami Dade Faculty Recital 10/6  (Read 4322 times)
Brian C. Wuttke
Administrator
Musical Legend

View Profile WWW
« on: October 08, 2009, 12:48:08 am »

Miami Dade Faculty Recital
Tuesday, October 6th, 7:30 pm

I taught it, but did they learn?
melanie8621
Novice

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2009, 09:29:13 pm »

Melanie Bryant
MUL 2380
Concert Critique: "On Stage" Faculty Jazz Concert Thursay October 6, 2009.

The concert that I attended and chose to write a concert critique on was located in the Auditorium of Miami Dade Kendall campus, Room 6120. The selection and music for the evening was presented by Matt Bonelli ,the coordinator, who was also involved in the performances of the evening playing the acoustic and electric base. The event was performed by the Jazz Faculty, and to my surprise the audience proved to be a large crowd anxiously waiting to hear them play. Every seat was taken, and even as the show started there were many others who pulled up extra chairs to enjoy the performance.
   The group consisted of Matt Bonelli on Acoustic and Electric bass, Jim Broderick on the trumpet and flugelhorn, Bill Kreitner on the drums, Tom Lippincott on the guitar, Tom McCormick on the Tenor Sax, and Randy Tomasello on the piano. The show consisted of eight separate songs, and each song had a different tempo and style to it. Some songs were slow and sweet, while other songs had a faster tempo. Some songs were played using all instruments, while other songs were played with only a selection of the instruments.
      Jim Broderick was exceptional on both the flugelhorn and the trumpet. He played some key solos with great ease and played to perfection. The tenor sax as well played by Tom McCormick gave off such a beautiful sound, with each note lingering in your ears. The drums were great as well, keeping tempo and giving the booms of energy when needed, while the piano and bass kept perfect time throughout each piece. The guitar when brought in to play certain songs was great, and gave a serene tone to those certain songs. As a team the Jazz Faculty put on a great show, and were greatly in tune with one another in terms of music. The performance overall was very well constructed, and each member showed great musicianship. 
The music itself was full of jazz swing feeling, and each song they played kept the audience clapping their hands and stomping their feet. My particular favorite song they played during this performance was, “I’m Getting Sentimental Over You.” It is such a soothing song, and as one of my favorites, was played beautifully by the Jazz Faculty.
There really was nothing about the concert that I disliked. The performers moved through the pieces in a timely manner, and there were really no interruptions. However, when the late people came into the auditorium light shined through, and at one point they needed to put extra chairs for people to sit in, which was also quite distracting. Aside from those non-avoidable interruptions, this was a great experience for me, and further instilled my love and appreciation for jazz music.
 Smiley
Ivette6004
Afficionado (5 points)

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2009, 09:59:00 pm »

I attended the Faculty Jazz Concert and was completely amazed by both, the performance and the amount of people present. Jazz is the type of music I heard of just a decade ago and have enjoyed since. My memory isn’t that great, so I can’t really memorize artists and pieces like other people do, but I love it because it is the kind of music that transports me to a beautiful place.  To me is a simple way to make a person get into a mellow and loving, yet energetic and happy mind set with just one song.
This particular concert was fascinating as I had never experienced live music so up close …lower level tickets are expensive, you know! The performance was overall outstanding in my opinion, but the musicians who really captivated my attention the most were the trumpet and saxophone players, Jim Broderick and Tom McCormick. I mean, they stole the show! The way I have experienced it, the wind instruments are the focus of attention for the most part, but these two were a great team from beginning to end. My favorite piece was “I’m Getting Sentimental Over You”, it had so much feeling it game me the chills. Another number I really enjoyed was “Ako”, this was a trumpet solo. While I was listening it took me away from the auditorium. I guess the best way I could describe it is by comparing it to a love story being told under the moon; sad, but passionate and persistent at the same time. My least favorite was the piano solo. Probably because up until that very moment everything the band had played felt alive, as if it was moving every single inch of my body resting helplessly from the narrow seat at the auditorium. The piece was modern classical in nature, deeply sentimental, kind of sad but playful at the same time.
On the other hand, the electric guitar player, who made his appearance bout half way into the show, made held an incredible performance, first accompanying and later in a solo. The latest to me was not as remarkable as the trumpet or saxophone players, but I must admit it captivated much of the audience’s attention. The show was totally worth my time and missing dinner with my family for one night. My only regret is not having kept up with the schedule to bring my son in so we could enjoy it together. In short, I loved the event and lived every piece played by the artists. I ‘m glad these kind of activities are made available to the public free of charge, or in my case and that of many attendees, for a small voluntary donation. I plan on keeping myself informed of future events like this which I look forward to experience again.

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act but a habit." - Aristotle
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: