The Student Lounge
November 17, 2019, 02:05:32 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: THE FORUMS ARE CLOSED.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Questions About the Midterm Exam  (Read 2339 times)
Brian C. Wuttke
Administrator
Musical Legend

View Profile WWW
« on: September 29, 2009, 10:22:40 am »

I received an e-mail from a student this morning who writes the following:

“Quick question, will we be recieving any type of study outline or guideline of any sort that can show us what exactly you need us to study for on our midterm exam? I also noticed that we have over 70 some odd amount of tracks in CD one and another 20 in CD two that we have as listening examples set in the syllabus. Are we to memorize all these tracks for the midterm exam? It sounds a bit tedious to memorize so much music while balancing so many other things within our weekly timespan. I'm assuming I'm mistaken right?”

Here are the answers to the above e-mail:

QUESTION: “Will we be recieving any type of study outline…”
ANSWER: As mentioned in class, the daily outlines are to be used as a study guide. In addition to this, all of the PowerPoints are also posted online.

QUESTION: “I also noticed that we have over 70 some odd amount of tracks in CD one and another 20 in CD two…”
ANSWER: As mentioned in class, the track numbers as listed in the syllabus correspond with the 5-set-CD. All of the songs contain multiple tracks, so if you purchased the CD-ROM which contains mp3 files, or plan on going to the Humanities Lab to do your listening, refer to the inside jacket of the textbook. You will responsible for all the music up to, and including, Handel’s Hallelujah Chorus.

QUESTION: "It sounds a bit tedious to memorize so much music while balancing so many other things within our weekly timespan."
ANSWER: A total of 27 listening selections for a college level class is not excessive, especially when we take the time to review each piece during class. As mentioned in class, students need to reinforce what is covered in class by making the music accessible (i.e. placing it on your ipod, listening to music while commuting, etc.). You should also use the listening guides found in the textbook.

I taught it, but did they learn?
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: