The Student Lounge
November 19, 2017, 09:11:07 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Each listening critique must contain a minimum of 300 words to receive credit.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Pearls Before Breakfast  (Read 10768 times)
Brian C. Wuttke
Administrator
Musical Legend

View Profile WWW
« on: August 31, 2009, 08:59:46 pm »

Suppose you were going through your daily routine, in rush hour, on your way to work or school: Would you recognize greatness? Read the link to the Washington Post article about virtuoso violinist Joshua Bell and decide for yourself. Feel free to post your thoughts.

Pearls Before Breakfast
« Last Edit: September 04, 2009, 05:51:12 pm by Brian C. Wuttke » Logged

I taught it, but did they learn?
gabriel235
Novice

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2009, 07:36:30 pm »

its interesting to think that somebody thats so greatly recognized in the "music" world would be pretty much unrecognized at a busy washinton subway station . it just goes to show that most people dont really recognize true talent but rather recognize the fact that he plays a 3 millon dollar violin and wears a nice suit in a nice concert hall so he must be good. the image of him is more important than his actual talent in this stunt. i mean the talent is no doubt great , probably the best guy for the job but with out his image he was just another guy asking for a buck to play a tune. i dont blame any of the people there for not recognizng him, i sure wouldnt have known who he was . i might have have heard it and thought it was good but not nearly enough to go out of my way . like most people i dont really follow that genre so to me it would have been just one more guy playing a instrument .
Naureen4495
Afficionado (5 points)

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2009, 07:48:12 pm »

I agree with the post above. Its quite amusing to watch numerous people walk by and not even realize or recognize such great talent and a famous face.But then again many people do not know who this composer is and are not familiar with this genre of music. I could imagine those people stopping and watching if it were a band or a group playing a famous song. It does show how people ignore the talent around them and never take a minute to step back and enjoy entertainment.

* Naureen *
Alfredo6528
Afficionado (5 points)

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2009, 11:00:30 pm »

Personally I usually stay and watch any type of performer. I remember about a couple years ago I flew to New York City and went to Ground Zero. There was this homeless guy playing a flute. I stood there and listened for a good while, he was playing Lee Greenwood's "I'm Proud to Be An American". It was an emotional experience. The point is that no matter where you are you should take the time to appreciate the music that people make, whether or not you recognize them as the greatest musician of their time. As long as it's quality music why not.
felisha9179
Composer (15 points)

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2009, 07:10:13 pm »

One of the things that i hate about living in Miami is that we dont often see street musicians, I think thats one of the things that makes cities like New York so magical. There is not only music, but talent on every corner and everyone is just trying to express themselves. I love observing people and how they express themselves which is why I would have probably stopped to see Josh Bell. The times i have visited New York, I have been completely enthralled by the beautiful talent that lies in the subway or the street corner.
I truly admire those musicians that are good enough to stand on the corner of a street while thousands of people pass them and still play amazing music. I hope that one day those musicians can be appreciated. Yes, Josh Bell was very good and already famous, but i think it would be amazing for someone who is not famous already to develop their following on the corner of a street. Imagine how much a persons day is made when they have been ignored by the morning crowd of thousands and one person stops to listen. You might think its not a big deal, but to a musician the thought of catching someones attention through your form of expression is sometimes the best reward.
C@milo1527
Master Musician (20 points)

Rockin'

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2009, 10:46:50 pm »

Honestly, it doesn't surprice me that no one recognized him! When you hear a piece that he wrote, some people would recognize the song, but not many people will recognize the composer! Same thing goes for mostly everything! If some people see Juan Pablo Montoya, they would not know of all his sucess as a race car driver! It's just how society is now on days! For the most part.. If you throw P diddy in the same station, ha! It would be some serious jam inthere! It's also the clientele! Older people(most, cause i'm sure there's some crazy ones) are more mature and wont go crazy if they see a performer like Cat Stevens just randomly walking around!
I guess it also depends on the "star!" Cause i'm sure if they saw Brian Adams, you'll get some psychos! I guess it also depends on the type of music! Classical is not as popular as something like classical rock, or something of that nature. Plus, you dont really see videos of classic music being performed like you see of other music videos!
« Last Edit: November 02, 2009, 10:49:27 pm by C@milo1527 » Logged

It's not what you know, but what you can prove!
Ivette6004
Afficionado (5 points)

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2009, 04:53:11 pm »

I think it's completely normal to miss a celebrity or someone famous who passes by us, even when we've seen this person on TV or the movies our whole life and even more so in the case of a classical music virtuoso who we probably have enjoyed listening to, but have no clue what he/she might look like. I remember a few years ago I was at a United Way Kickoff event remodeling a school and the person who I was placed to work with was the region director for my area. I didn't find out until lunch time when some other big wigs came to say hello. This person worked with me shoulder to shoulder like anyone else would have, didn't mention his position, or try to take advantage of the rest of the team by pulling rank or anything... I was so embarassed to find out who he was and that I didn't recognize him that I wanted to open a hole in the ground and drop dead right there.
When you come to think of it, it's easy for these people blend into a crowd without being recognized. We are so used to seeing them dressed nicely, with make up, lighting, media effects ...when you take all that away and place this person in a regular setting, wearing jeans and a tshirt and sweating like anyone else, they become real people and loose the wow effect of the TV or movie set. So, let's allow for this things to happen every once in a while, in reality is the only hope the famous can have to enjoy a moment of that peaceful and ordinary life they all say to miss so much.    Wink

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act but a habit." - Aristotle
greg6691
Songwriter (10 points)

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2009, 11:18:29 am »

To be honest, I probably would not have recognized Mr.Bell, or any modern-day violonist for that matter. However, now that I know about him, perhaps I might be able to point him out if I ever walked past a crowded train station. It's just that today's generation and society values Rap, Hip-Hop, R&B, Rock, Dance, etc. (too many genres to type) but you get my point. It is a problem with appreciation. The modern society cannot fathom a purely instrumental ensamble, they need someone speaking or singing (if you call it that nowadays) while the song is being played. Which is not necessarily a bad aspecting towards your liking of music but what they are singing about is a whole different matter. I just can't bring myself to admiring, or even respecting, music artists that speak about "beating you up" for "fronting" on them or their entourage. I have to admit I have a slight tolerence towards rap and I like a handful of rap songs but I dislike the genre as a whole. Mostly for what they represent, short-sighted ideals that mean nothing in the end. Am I being too harsh? Perhaps. I feel strongly about my music, especially when I see how it causes a generation to stumble. Martin Luther King Jr. would be rolling in his grave if he saw that his efforts were in vain. Now, since I have gotten out of hand with my opinion on modern-day music (mostly rap though) I would like to touch back to the matter at hand. Sadly, I would not recognize a highly renown string player; however, I plan on expanding upon my taste in music. I have always enjoyed a wide variety of music; however, I have to broaden my horizon even further.
Comment, reply, share your opinions. I'm interesting in hearing what people have to say!
C@milo1527

Rockin'

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2009, 07:12:39 pm »

To be honest, I probably would not have recognized Mr.Bell, or any modern-day violonist for that matter. However, now that I know about him, perhaps I might be able to point him out if I ever walked past a crowded train station. It's just that today's generation and society values Rap, Hip-Hop, R&B, Rock, Dance, etc. (too many genres to type) but you get my point. It is a problem with appreciation. The modern society cannot fathom a purely instrumental ensamble, they need someone speaking or singing (if you call it that nowadays) while the song is being played. Which is not necessarily a bad aspecting towards your liking of music but what they are singing about is a whole different matter. I just can't bring myself to admiring, or even respecting, music artists that speak about "beating you up" for "fronting" on them or their entourage. I have to admit I have a slight tolerence towards rap and I like a handful of rap songs but I dislike the genre as a whole. Mostly for what they represent, short-sighted ideals that mean nothing in the end. Am I being too harsh? Perhaps. I feel strongly about my music, especially when I see how it causes a generation to stumble. Martin Luther King Jr. would be rolling in his grave if he saw that his efforts were in vain. Now, since I have gotten out of hand with my opinion on modern-day music (mostly rap though) I would like to touch back to the matter at hand. Sadly, I would not recognize a highly renown string player; however, I plan on expanding upon my taste in music. I have always enjoyed a wide variety of music; however, I have to broaden my horizon even further.
Comment, reply, share your opinions. I'm interesting in hearing what people have to say!
Mainly well said. Hip-hop is the way that it is because that is what people want to see, "Beef." It's like when two random people in the street start arguing. It creates a croud of nosy people (me being one) that want to see what comes out of the argument. It's the way we humans are. I think some of these problems/beef that occures in some of these groups, is just made to hype up the rap game. Just to expose new groups, or just to bring sales up. I mean, most groups. You also have to see where some of these guys are found. In the middle of the "ghetto" where "gangsters" are created. Some of these guys dont have any consideration for life. Everything is about, money, cars, and itchesB. No offense to anyone. We are all adults here, so, excuse my french. But just speaking the truth.

It's not what you know, but what you can prove!
Tiane2500

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2009, 02:31:02 pm »

I miss walking down the streets in Europe where on every corner you see some form of art, whether it be music or a painter sitting in the streets painting the sky. You never see that here in America maybe just once in a blue moon. It seems as if we have forgotten to appreciate life and the beauty that surrounds us everyday. No matter how stupid it may seem I always try and stop to appreciate what is happening around me, Yes i would stop and listen even if I didn't know who that certain musician was. We need to have more respect for art and have more people willing to go out and educate people as to what art and music truely is.

Dare to live <3
Anabella5523

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2010, 11:38:56 am »

I understand when some members say they miss finding a street artist in every corner; I come from a very cultural south american country where you find a gifted musician, a painter, or a singer everywhere. I miss that a lot too, here in Miami we don't see that often. Personally, I would recognize greatness, even in a rush hour, maybe I would not recognize the artist by I would recognize his or her gift as a musician, and I would definitely stop, at least for a minute to appreciate that gift. It was sad to see the video and see just one single person care for his music. While I was seeing the video and listening to the musician, I thought that even the most beautiful music loses its purpose if no one is there to listen and appreciate it. It is an interesting experiment. 

"Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and life to everything."
Carlos4177

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2010, 09:08:54 am »

After watching this video and reading the article, the outcome doesn't surprise me.  Most individuals, especially during the rush hours, are only thinking about two things.  It is either getting to work on time, or getting home. Most people are clueless to what is going on around them, let alone, to realize that greatness is playing right next to them.

As for the question, will I be able to spot greatness, I have to say, that I wouldn't know until I am placed in that situation.  Living in Miami all my life, I wasn't exposed to street performers as you are in other citoyes.  But I want to add, the times I have been to NYC, Boston or D.C. and I was in the subways or on the street, I always took some time to listen to them, and give them a chance.  Maybe the reason I did stop and pay attention had to do with the fact I was on vacation and I didn't have somewhere to be like those in this video.
Linda7814
Afficionado (5 points)

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2010, 11:52:36 am »

Reading the article & viewing the video, I have mixed emotions about it. I know everyone has a busy life because I know I do especially with a child. I'm always in a rush to drop off my daughter at school and off to work I go but I'm very observant so I think it would catch my eye if it was out of the norm. I know a lot of people that would either walk or drive right by it as it's nothing but for other they will either bring it up at work while settling in or call someone on the spot to talk about it or record it. I know I use to see it a lot in NYC.  Cool 

Linda Alvarez
maria2619
Afficionado (5 points)

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2010, 08:56:03 am »

i have seen this video before it was sent to me by email, and I found it very interesting and sad to see how we live our lives always in a hurry. We go from place to place but I don't think many of us can say we really look around and appreciate what we see. It's sad how something so great like music can be ignored by so many people. the man performing had just sold out his million dollar concert the night before and that day just got a dollar thrown at him.  I think that if we stop and smell the flowers more often we will be happier with our lives because we wouldn't miss out on a lot.
Brian C. Wuttke
Administrator
Musical Legend

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2010, 09:55:12 am »

What I found most interesting is that essentially every child stopped to listen, and in every case, the child was hurried away by an adult. Have we become so callous that we cannot stop for one second to enjoy something that is so beautiful simply because we do not understand it or have we been taught that it is simply unimportant? Inasmuch as electronically reproduced sounds in today's popular music, what will happen when the power goes out? Will we loose the art all-together or will we try to revert back to acoustic music? These are the questions that I think about when I read this story.

I taught it, but did they learn?
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: