The Student Lounge
December 07, 2019, 08:57:44 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Each listening critique must contain a minimum of 300 words to receive credit.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: Faculty Guitar Recital 11/24  (Read 35414 times)
Brian C. Wuttke
Administrator
Musical Legend

View Profile WWW
« on: August 21, 2009, 04:34:08 am »

Faculty Guitar Recital
Tuesday, November 24th, 7:30 pm
« Last Edit: November 17, 2009, 10:07:29 am by Brian C. Wuttke » Logged

I taught it, but did they learn?
Alexandra4300
Novice

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2009, 08:29:28 pm »

Alexandra Flor   
MUL1010

I attended the Faculty Guitar Concert on November 24. The opening song was performed by Juan Carlos Vera, although the title of the piece that he performed was not in the program, he did say that it was a popular Cuban song in the 1940’s. There was three parts, the first started off soft and soothing with a calming sense. The tempo slowly picked up with short and fast chords and then proceeded to slow down again. It repeated this back and forth of tempos a couple of times. The second part had a more Hispanic vibe to it. It had a fast tempo and a lot of rhythm. And for the third part, the pitch was very high and it went back to the back and forth of slow and fast tempos. To perform that song you need some good finger skills, his hands were all over the guitar, fast, slow, up and down. The second song that was performed was a Waltz 2nd Española #5 by a Venezuelan composer. There were 2 parts to this piece. The first began with a medium tempo, it wasn’t too slow, and it wasn’t too fast. Then it slows down and rapidly speeds up to a faster tempo. When this song was being performed I could imagine a couple dancing to this song. The second part started with a medium tempo as well, but it had more of a Hispanic rhythm to it with a more serious and melancholy mood. The third piece performed was called Lullaby of Birdland by George Shearing. There were 2 bass guitars that were playing to different steady rhythms. While the guitar was playing solo. It began with a soft rhythmic tone, and the mood was pleasant and uplifting. The fourth song that was performed was Fools Rush In by Johnny Mercer and Rube Bloom. Mr. Poltarack began by explaining the song and stated the last line of this song, “When I met you life began, so let this fool in.” The song had a slow tempo and it gave the image of a man telling a woman how much he loves her. The fifth piece performed was called Juicy Lucy by Horace Silver. The cello and guitar are played at a fast tempo, but smooth and rhythmic. They both slowed down and then the guitar speed up in tempo and the cello continued with s low calming rhythm. The sixth song performed was called They Can’t Take That Away From Me by George and Ira Gershwin. It began with a slow tempo, soft tones and the pitches alternated from high to low throughout the song. The seventh song performed was called Luteous Pangolin by Ben Monder. The guitar starts off soft with a slow tempo, the drums began right after with softly tapping the symbols, and then the bass joins in with a slow rhythm, and finally they all join together. The eighth piece that was performed was called Cold Duck Time by Eddie Harris. This song has a Jazz feel to it. The bass, drums and guitar are playing in a fast tempo. The guitar was high pitched and then suddenly the volume of all three instruments lowered and rapidly became louder for a good finish. Finally, the ninth piece performed was called Tune 88 by Jeff Lorber. This song had a fast groove played by two guitars, one bass, and the drums. They all began together at the same time in a fast tempo and the guitars alternated with jazzy solos. They ended with a great drum solo. All of the performances with really good, and you can tell that it takes a lot of practice to be able to play songs like these.
Eric3745
Novice

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2009, 10:35:54 am »

Faculty Guitar concer Tuesday November 24, 2009 7:30 pm McCarthy Auditorium lol  Tongue just felt like creating some sense of drama. I was at the Faculty Guitar concert recital was very cool. Cool I was sitting in the front row on the left side with my girl. The first 3 songs were very nice Ojos Brujos by Ken Brouwer who is obviously a guitarist he is Cuban El Marabino by Antonio Laur this guy is Venezuelan and Gigue by Manuel Ponce he is Mexican. all these are great guitarists and the man who was playing these songs is Juan Carlos Vera. The second teacher who played at the recital Carlos Molina played for a Venezuelan guitarist his name i don't remember but I noticed he missed a few notes while playing the guitar but he did not fail at all just not the greatest part of the recital that's all. Lullaby of Birdland was the third part of this recital it was really great for its sweet sound and nice beat and their were 3 teachers playing for us it was a nice Trifecta of sound was the best trio guitar
in the Recital Because it was the only Trio Guitar of the recital lol. Fools Rush in was the fourth part of the recital it was one of the best solo's in the recital seriously this guy named Sandy Poltarack was awesome but
his name kinda freaked me out lol i thought it was going to be a chick. Wrong Wrong!! lol it was a dude luckily I could contain my laughter nothing personal i just find a guy named Sandy to be freaking hilarious. Juicy Lucy was another song with Jon Dadurka on Bass he was playing a Chello however u spell it and Sandy on guitar. this was a kick ass song. No joke man you missed a good recital if you didn't come. They cant take that away from me By George and Ira Gershwin the greatest solo in the entire recital straight up man. When i heard this song i almost cried not really but kinda. this song was interpreted by Tom Lippincott and he nailed this song on all sides. Thank you Tom Lippincott u have not failed me lol. Luteous Pangolin by Ben Monder this means a yellowish green atrocious thingy. like a beast i don't know leave me alone  Tongue. This guitarist is a modern guy meaning he is still alive and it was played by Tom lippincott Matt Bonelli on bass and Jack Ciano on drums. This song was pretty wierd it had like a strange beat to it but it sounded good like wierd and good like a delicious rice pudding looks wierd but tastes great!  Grin lol. Cold Duck Time one of the top 2 songs in this entire recital it was a kick ass song and Mitch Farber was tearing it up nasty style he kept doing rock moves on the stage was pretty funny but cool at the same time. Matt Bonelli on bass and Jack Ciano on drums i noticed he was using some cool ass drum sticks for cold duck time. it was like a fan but it was cool. This song was by Eddie Harris whoever the hell that is lol just kidding. By the way this is a critique not a response to Alexandra Flor critique cause i really dont care what she has to say lol!! jk  Tongue Tune 88 The best of the best of the best of the best of the entire recital well second best by Jeff Lorber the song was played by Mitch Farber on guitar Tom Lippincott on guitar Rafael Valencia on bass and Jack CIano on drums. Serious business on this song totally awesome and my favorite.
The main reason why this recital was one of the greatest concerts I have ever been to was because of the company of my girl Hady she made all this alot more interesting and the reason why i went to the concert in the first place. Honestly i would not have gone if she was not there. Therefore i give this concert my fist of approval. The greatest honor a concert can receive from me lol  Grin Once again Great concert too bad for all of you people who missed it cause this was honestly a kick ass recital even though they were teachers and old but they still have their skills at their instruments that they play. Props to the teachers especially Mitch Farber thank you for trying to do rock moves on stage you succeeded.
jennifer1930
Novice

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2009, 11:37:36 am »

I attended the guitar recital Tuesday night November 24.  The auditorium was packed more than the last show I went to, which was the jazz recital.  The first performer, Juan Carlos Vera, played some beautiful Cuban folk tunes.  The music that he performed was from the 1940’s and as far the name of the songs…well no one could hear this man speak clearly.  The way Juan Carlos plucked the strings on the guitar was amazing.  Every pluck and strum was soft and portrayed the Cuban culture.  The tempo was slow and the melodies were soft.  The next performer was Carlos Molina; he is Venezuelan and started by playing the Venezuelan waltz.  The version of this waltz was elegant and a little faster in tempo.  Carlos was so energetic and had a certain wit about him that intrigued me to pay close attention to his fingers.    The third performance was “Lullaby of Birdland.”   The melodies were soft and the music was nice, but it was literally a lullaby putting me to sleep.  It definitely was something I could fall asleep to.  The performances were good so far.  When “Juicy Lucy” came on I could not help but think about the  juicy Lucy burger up north, which are two patties with cheese in the middle, lol…RANDOM!!  Ok anyway when the last couple of songs that were performed such as “Cold duck time” and “tune 88” It really livened up the crowd and definitely woke me up.  Guitarist Mitch Farber was amazing and rocked out and finally some percussion accompanied the guitar and bass!! I also find it hilarious that the performers were a few older men just jamming and having fun. Cheesy  They seemed carefree and of course full of music. What I really liked about the whole recital was the fact that they incorporated different styles and genre using the guitar. The guitar was also accompanied by different instruments such as a cello, bass, and most importantly drums.  Throughout the recital, the guitar was used to play music from not only diverse groups of genres, but from different countries and cultures.  Even though it was one instrument that was emphasized through out the show, that one instrument sounded and was used in a plethora of ways.  My favorite song was “cold duck time” just because of the quick tempos and groovey beats; it kind of reminded me of Phil Collins.
ethan0099
Novice

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2009, 10:30:43 pm »

On Tuesday November 24th I attended the faculty guitar recital in the auditorium. I didnt really have any idea what to expect going into this performance but I was hoping that if it was only guitar players than there would atleast be a little blues guitar a la B.B. King thrown in there. Unfortunately blues was not what the performers decided to play and this concert seemd to be predominantly jazz oriented.
    Despite the fact that there were no real sad bluesy songs in the mix i was actually surprised by some of the other things that were played. The first two performers, Juan Carlos Vera and Carlos Molina both came out with acoustic guitars and chose to play old hispanic folk songs. I love this style of guitar and how dramatic it is. These songs, which werent listed in the program, flirt alot with tension which i just love. They start of slowly and softly playing beautiful notes then abruptly shift to a more speedy tempo, then slow again to the whispering beautiful notes from the beginning. I say this builds tension because you know these shifts will occur but its hard to tell when because the guitarist can hold a certain note a little longer than you expect or quicken certain parts. Out of these two beginning guitar players, I liked Juan Carlos Vera more. The only real reason for this was that he showed more emotion while playing his songs than Molina, who seemed to be more focused on hitting the right notes. This openning portion was one of my favorite parts of the show simply because I love that sort of old Spanish style guitar playing. As a side note if anybody reading this also is into that type of music than you should check out a guy named Paco de Lucia. Hes an amazing Spanish style guitar player. Ill put a link at the bottom of this to one of my favorite videos of his.
    The next three songs i just couldnt get into. Its not because the guitar playing was bad or anything like that it was purely because im not into that style. To be honest Im not even one hundred percent sure what style it really was but I would have to say jazz. I especially didnt like Juicy Luicy the third song on the program because it just seemed to drag on to long. In the beginning I thaught it was cool how Jon Dadurka was plucking at the double bass and I thaught Sandy Poltarack played a pretty good guitar but once they started doing the solos, especially the bass solo, they just didnt wanna stop. Not to mention there were a few times when Dadurka was in the middle of a bass solo and Poltarack would just stop playing altogether and it just sounded weird like they were improvising, but not in a good way. I will say, however, after being critical of all these songs that they were all very good at playing there instruments and once Tom Lippincott came out to play guitar I felt that he had potential to rock even though the songs he played didnt.
    This brings me to the last two songs. Cold Duck Time and Tune 88. Before I get into these songs let me just say that Mitch Farber deffinately saved this concert for me. As soon as he walked on stage and talked into that microphone you could tell that the music trend of this concert was about to shift. And boy did it ever. Cold Duck Time was a very welcome change in sound. For one thing it had some real tangible percussion in it which makes all the differance for me. Also it was just a nice mid tempo jam and i love that. Mitch Farber played, in my opinion, the best most confident guitar of the night and it didnt take long for me to realize that. His solos were right on and matched the mood of the song perfectly. All around good performance. Tune 88 I also really enjoyed. When Tom Lippincott played his solos I also thaught that he really showed what he could do and it was a very cool song. Now if the concert was jazz based i just dont understand why there werent more fast paced jammin tunes like Tune 88 and Cold Duck Time. You know, tunes you can really get down to. Either way I thaught these last two songs were just great and if it werent for them I probably would have fallen asleep in this concert. I feel like im bashing this concert a little to much and its sorta like going into a lolly pop store and saying it sucks because you dont like lolly pops but I just want my final words to be bravo all around to the faculty and your all very good at playing guitar... except for Jack Ciano who is very good at playing the drums, and I deffinately respect that.

Here is the link to the Paco De Lucia video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_1-H0G75kXc
(Watch the whole thing, it picks up around the 1:30 mark.)

whats up with stuff?
Haydee0430
Novice

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2009, 05:15:07 pm »

Haydee Velazquez
MUL1010

On Tuesday, November 24, 2009, I went to the Faculty Guitar Concert. It started at 7:30 pm and it was located at McCarthy Auditorium, room 6120. It was really packed in the auditorium. The first performance was by Juan Carlos Vera. He performed three songs which were Ojos  Brujos by Leo Brouwer (Cuban), El Marabino by Antonio Laur (Venezuelan), an Gigue by Manuel Ponce (Mexican). The title was not on the pan flip so Mr. Vera was nice enough to give us the titles and the composers in the end of the concert. Even though there was some tension in the songs, all three songs were slow and calming. I liked the way he plucked the strings in his acoustic guitar. Carlos Molina was the next performer. Like Juan Carlos Vera, he played the songs on his acoustic guitar. He is Venezuelan. I did not catch the names of the song but it was a Venezuelan waltz. I noticed a few mistakes but overall, it was good.

The next song that was performed was Lullaby of Birdland by George Shearing. It was performed by Matt Bonelli, Rafael Valencia and Jon Dadurka on the electic bass. It was very smooth and it made me relax which made me realize why it was a lullaby. The next song was Fools Rush In by Johnny Mercer and Rube Bloom. It was performed by Sandy Poltarack.  Before he started to play, he stated, “When I met you life began, so let this fool in” which is the last line of the lyrics from Fools Rush In. This made me want to look up the lyrics so I did. I really like the lyrics. It was slow tempo and it felt romantic to me. After that song was Juicy Lucy by Horace Silver. The performers were Sandy Poltarak on the guitar and Jon Dadurka on the bass. I really enjoyed this song. It made me feel like getting up and dance. My favorite songs were the last two songs which were Cold Duck Time and Tune 88. It sounded like a real rock band. The lead guitarist Mitch Farber had a lot of energy while he was playing these two songs. After both performances, the audience were clapping and cheering loudly. The best part about the concert is that I went with someone really special to me. Without Eric, I probably would have been bored. I’m glad he came with me because he made it more enjoyable. It was a great concert on a great night.  Grin
Haydee0430
Novice

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2009, 05:17:06 pm »

Oh and by the way, for those who are interested the lyrics for Fools Rush In by Johnny Mercer and Rube Bloom, you can go to this website and check it out:

http://www.answers.com/topic/fools-rush-in-performed-by-various-artists
jonathan3570
Novice

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2009, 09:05:58 pm »

I attended the faculty guitar recital on Nov 24.2009. The opening song was performed by Juan Carlos Vera
this song was from Cuba in the 1940s. the name of the piece was `ojos brojos`i must admit it was far too soft (piano) for my taste and in a guittar fan. i could not hear the name of the second song the performer spoke way to low. The second performer was Carlos Molina his first song i cannot remember but it was better than the first two. the last song however i felt was far more passioned it had more feeling i enjoyed it alot more than the first performer.I liked the way he plucked the strings in his acoustic guitar. The other group of the night played 'lullaby of birdland' while
i did like the song i think it had way too much bass and i could not appreciate the whole composition.
The forth was sandy poltarack he plyed 'Fools rush in' by Johnny Mercer  and Rube Bloom this song was more in tune,and i could feel the message the song was trying to deliver.The next song was “Cold Duck Time” by Eddie Harris and the band included Mitch Farber on the guitar who rocked it, Matt Bonelli on the brass who kept up and Jack Ciano on Drums who was really good.This song has a Jazz feel to it. The bass, drums and guitar are playing in a fast tempo. The guitar was high pitched and then suddenly the volume of all three instruments lowered and rapidly became louder for a great finish,still the only thing i have to complain was the audience people where texting sleepping and talking the whole show.other than that i would`t mind going back to a another concert on my free time because i was defenetly a new learing experience Smiley
« Last Edit: December 02, 2009, 09:15:35 pm by jonathan3570 » Logged
Federico1173
Novice

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2009, 02:12:46 am »

I attended the Guitar Recital at Miami Dade College on November 24th; it was a Tuesday night so I was not expecting a lot of people since it was a weekday. When I got in there I noticed that the auditorium was full so my first thoughts were that either a lot of people wanted to see this or a lot of people had to do their essays too like I do.
The first song was performed by Juan Carlos Vera, and he played some Hispanic folk music, it was some Cuban Folk tune from the 1940’s but I could not identify the name of the song. I was amazed or I would even say stunned for two reasons. First, that I was not expecting Hispanic music to be played, and the second on the way he was plucking those strings on the guitar, it was just beautiful and it could completely relate on the theme he was playing, which was Cuban folk music. Tempo was slow and melodies too.
The second song was performed by a Venezuelan guitarist named Carlos Molina, he performed a Venezuelan Waltz. It was beautiful, I liked the Waltz and wouldn’t mind putting it in my sisters 15th birthday, ohh, and it was a little bit faster in tempo than on the first song performed.
The third song was performed by George Shearing and performed a song called “Lullaby of Birdland”. On this one the melodies were soft, maybe a little bit too soft for my taste and it kind of reminded me of those songs that they put to babies to fall asleep, and I think it was making me sleep too.
The fourth song was performed by two artists who were Johnny Mercer and Rube Bloom, they performed Fools Rush, and this one had a slow tempo and gave the impression of a man telling a woman how much he loves her.
The fifth song was performed by Horace Silver and played Juicy Lucy at it had a fast tempo but it was very melodic and it just had a very nice tune due to the cello being played.
The sixth song was performed by George and Ira Gershwin and played a song called “They Can’t Take That Away From Me” This one had a slow tempo but pitches were alternating from high to low throughout the whole song.

Overall I really enjoyed going to this concert and wouldn’t mind going back again to it. Next time I go to one of these concerts it will not be for school work, it will be just for fun.
ariamna0899
Novice

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2009, 12:04:27 pm »

On Tuesday, November 24, 2009 at 7:30 P.M I went to see the “Faculty Guitar Concert” at Miami Dade College at McCarthy Auditorium, Room 6120. I got there 30 minutes before the show to get a good seat because I had heard a lot of people were attending, and it was true a huge line was already assembled for the concert. Before going in I met my friend from class Isai and we got our concert programs before they let us into the auditorium. Once they let us in we took out seats there was still a lot of people coming in, and more waiting outside. The first person walked out it was Juan Carlos Vera with the first song “Ojos Bravos” a Cuban song the Spanish rhythm was out, the two songs he played were fairly short but very much Spanish the second one was Venezuelan. Juan Carlos Vera played the guitar very well; you could tell he enjoyed playing the set he had, especially that it was Spanish. The second person who came out to play was Carlos Molina he gave us some background on the music and himself saying he’d just return from Venezuela a couple of days ago and had played with a great guitarist over there, he played two Venezuelan songs one was a lovely waltz, and the second one was a Spanish dance that really picked up tempo from the other songs that were more slow and monotone.

The first song was “Lullaby of Birdland” by George Shearing Jon Dadurka was on the electric bass and he was great he played really well, and then you had Matt Bonelli and Rafael Valencia on the guitar they did a really good job, but as the song says a lullaby I was literally falling asleep the lights were off it was really quiet and the song was slow. The second song I was familiar with it was “Fools Rush In” by Johnny Mercer and Rube Bloom it was written in the 1940’s and was played by Sandy Poltarack and he gave some background about the song and the last line read “When I met you my life began” in which the whole audience erupted into an awe, sandy played okay only because I’ve heard others play it better. The next song was a hit it was “Juicy Lucy” by Horace Silver played by Sandy Poltarack and Jon Dadurka who played the cello, the really woke up the crowd the two of them were in complete synch and the cello added a jazz bluesy feel to it, it was in duple meter. The next song was “They can’t take that away from me” by George and Ira Gershwin arrangement by Ted Greene and played by Tom Lippincott he played well, but the song was slow and not loud or energizing. Like they say in show business you end with a bang and that’s exactly what happened the next song was “Luteous Pangolin” which means yellowish green aardvark a song by Ben Monder the song was okay till the drums came in and took it to the next level the song suddenly came to life with the drums. The guitar was played by Tom Lippincott he played well, and then was Matt Bonelli on bass who was good he kept in key and Jack Ciano on Drums who to me saved the song and woke some people up in the audience.

The next song was “Cold Duck Time” by Eddie Harris and the band included Mitch Farber on the guitar who rocked it, Matt Bonelli on the brass who kept up and Jack Ciano on Drums who was really good. This song was amazing they rocked it people were clapping and cheering suddenly the packed auditorium came to life. The last song “Tune 88” by Jeff Lorber was fantastic Mitch Farber killed it in the Guitar, Tom Lippincott was good on the guitar, Rafael Valencia on bass was good as well, and Jack Ciano on the Drums was great, but everyone together was amazing you could tell they enjoyed it playing together they sounded amazing and in synch the whole time, they had beat and tempo they rocked the last song like rock stars. It was a good concert I really enjoyed it. Smiley

yunisleidis9870
Novice

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2009, 01:42:31 pm »

Yunisleidis Puentes
                                                                                                        Mul 1010

Faculty Guitar Concert
I attended the Faculty Guitar Concert on November 24. The opening song was performed by Juan Carlos Vera. Is not the same see a concert  in live , in person to see it in television because when you are in front of them you feel stronger your emotions and you can see how  those people try  to do the best they can to let us all pleased with their work. Also you can feel the music like more inside that if you are looking the show in television because you try to imagine whats happening there but really is not the same thing.
This concert was for me one of the best I've seen since I've been in high school and that people who played the instruments were well prepared and  they looked like they were trying to do everything to make the people happy because they feel good doing that because they like music and to do what they were doing yesterday, I was really impressed with their work .Also at  the beginning of every scene someone stood and explained what  would be they doing and also the instruments. There was many different types of ages from children to old people .People attend concerts for many reasons, but the most important reason is to watch and listen to the performers. Good concerts etiquette helps the audience have a good experience.
 Cheesy
Matthew4161
Composer (15 points)

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2009, 06:26:41 pm »

Matt Rossin
MUL1010
   On Thursday 11/24 I attended a concert being held at Miami Dade College Kendall campus, I really had no idea what I was in for. The last concert that I went to wasn’t one of the most exciting things that I have done in my life in fact it was pretty boring but I did not want to assume this guitar recital was going to be the same experience. Then again it was the faculty performing so I was really unsure of what to expect. The first gentleman to perform was an older guy who looked like he very well could be sitting outside at a subway somewhere playing for the people passing by, asking them to spare some change because he does not have a singing voice. He seemed to be nervous because when he spoke you could barely understand the names of the songs and artists that he was paying tribute to. Now I am a very hard judge when it comes to music and I have a pretty good ear for it so I can hear when things sound out of place and when mistakes are made and this guy should have continued to take lessons with a professional instructor before coming on stage and playing what he did. Personally I was embarrassed for him and gave a sigh of relief when he finally stopped butchering the instrument we call a guitar. Now following a horrendous act like this can be really helpful to your performance, so the next guy on the roster sounded like a regular Jimi Hendrix compared to the previous guitarist. Now I say Jimi Hendrix as an exaggeration just to make a point of how bad the first guy was. Not much of this guys performance stood out to me either it kind of fell into the background with the rest of the beginning as just a warm up of what was to come.  The first two acts were just solo guitar players which can be cool but not really the most entertaining show so finally they got somewhat of a band out on stage if you even want to go as far as to call them a band. But it was four guys, one base player, two guitar players and a drummer they jammed out for a little bit playing some songs by memory, which was cool there was no reading music. The guitars went back and forth for a little had a solo or two then the base player had a little solo and then after all of that the drummer had the quickest drum solo I have seen. All in all it was an interesting show, you got to love watching men going through their mid life crisis trying to rock out.
michael4206
Novice

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2009, 08:26:16 pm »

Rodriguez, Mike
Mul 1010
MWF 8.25

Lat night I attended the Faculty Guitar Recital at Miami Dade College. I attended the woodwind Quintet and I thought the guitar recital would be the same as that. Boring at first, but at the end I would enjoy it. Well as the night started off I noticed that I was completely wrong. I did not think that the faculty has such talent, but I was once again proven wrong. The first performer seemed a little nervous at the start, but he seemed to relax once the got into the piece.  The first couple of performers where playing alone and they played very nicely. As the recital continued a band joined the soloist to form a unique band. Each ban member had a chance to shine as they each got a solo. Over all I enjoyed the performance and the performance taught me that I should not judge a professor by their appearance. I never thought that an average professor could have such talent. 
katherine9363
Novice

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2009, 09:13:10 pm »

On Tuesday, November 24th, 7:30 pm, I attended to the Faculty Guitar Recital at Miami Dade College in McCarthy Hall, Room 6120. I wasn’t expecting to see that much people but when I got there I noticed that the auditorium was really packed. The first performance was by Juan Carlos Vera. He performed three songs which were Ojos Brujos by Leo Brouwer (Cuban), El Marabino by Antonio Laur (Venezuelan), and Gigue by Manuel Ponce (Mexican). The First song was a popular Cuban song in the 1940’s. I was very amazed of the way he was plucking those strings on the guitar. It was just amazing and it could completely relate on the theme he was playing. But also, I was not expecting Hispanic music to be played. The tempo was slow and the melodies were soft. All three songs were slow and calming.The next performer was Carlos Molina.  He is Venezuelan and started by playing the Venezuelan waltz.  I think the version of this waltz was beautiful and elegant. I loved the waltz and it was a little bit faster in tempo than on the first song performed.Out of these two beginning guitar players, I liked Juan Carlos Vera the most. I believe that he showed more emotion while playing his songs than Molina, who seemed to be more focused on hitting the right notes. This opening portion was my favorite part of the show simply because I love that Hispanic style of guitar playing.The third piece performed was called “Lullaby of Birdland” by George Shearing. It was performed by Matt Bonelli, Rafael Valencia and Jon Dadurka on the electric bass. It was very smooth and it made me relax which made me realize why it was a lullaby. The next song was Fools Rush In by Johnny Mercer and Rube Bloom. It was performed by Sandy Poltarack. This one had a slow tempo too. The fifth song was performed by Horace Silver.  He played Juicy Lucy and it had a fast tempo but it was very melodic and it just had a very nice tune. The sixth song was performed by George and Ira Gershwin.  They played a song called “They Can’t Take That Away From Me” This one had a slow tempo but pitches were alternating from high to low throughout the whole song.
Overall I really enjoyed going to this concert and wouldn’t mind going back again to it. All of the performances were really good, and you can tell that it takes a lot of practice to be able to play songs like these.   Wink
Eric6507
Novice

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2009, 05:01:23 pm »

On Thursday November 24th, 2009 I attended the Faculty Guitar Recital at Miami-Dade Kendall campus.  I thought it would be different to attend at guitar recital instead of another singing one recital. I wanted to change it up somehow and not just listen to singing.  It looks like a lot of people had the same idea because the hall was packed and there were even people standing up.  The first song, “ojos bravo” which was performed by Juan Carlos Viera. This song had a Spanish feel to it and it was popular back in the 1940’s.  I didn’t really enjoy this first song too much; I think it could have been played a little better.  I thought that the tempo was too slow. I did enjoy the second performance a lot more though.  Carlos Molina came out onto stage, gave us a brief background of him, and played a Venezuelan waltz that I really enjoyed. This song was more upbeat then the previous song that was performed so I believe that is why I enjoyed it more. The next song was “Lullaby of bird land” by George Sharing.  This song had a guitar solo that I enjoyed. It takes talent to be able to play the guitar as well as he did in this song, so I give him respect for that. The song that I enjoyed the most was “They cant take that away from me” which was performed by George and Ira Gershwin. I like how the tone of the song would keep alternation from high to low. It changed up and kept my attention. Overall my experience at the recital was a good one and I enjoyed most of the performances that I saw and I was glad I choose this certain guitar recital to attend. Wink
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  

Jump to: