The Student Lounge
September 18, 2020, 12:13:49 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: All posts and revisions must be completed on or before 6:00 am on July 31st. NO EXCEPTIONS.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: MDC Piano Recital 10/13  (Read 8430 times)
Brian C. Wuttke
Administrator
Musical Legend

View Profile WWW
« on: August 21, 2009, 04:23:22 am »

MDC Piano Recital
Wayne Bumpers, Coordinator
Tuesday, October 13th, 7:30 pm
« Last Edit: August 21, 2009, 04:28:42 am by Brian C. Wuttke » Logged

I taught it, but did they learn?
Paul0567
Novice

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2009, 04:18:05 pm »

On Tuesday, October 13, 2009 I attended the MDC Piano Recital. It was all coordinated by Wayne Bumpers who I noticed was in a couple of the pieces. I was running a little late and missed the first 2 pieces and got there when Mr. Juan Carlos Vera was in the middle of his guitar solo. It immediately caught my attention when I entered the room because he was playing at an extremely fast pace. His fingers looked like they were on steroids because they were moving so quickly but towards the end of his solo he slowed down and ended it. Juan’s performance was one of my favorites of the night because it kept me very entertained.
The second piece surprised me. It was Wayne Bumpers on the piano while Sheila Barish was the soprano. The song they performed was called “El Majo Discrepto” (The Discrete Man) by Enrique Granados. She sang it in Spanish which really surprised me because she looked and sounded like a gringa when she spoke a few words before performing. She was hitting very high notes which were actually hurting my ears a little, I felt like I was in an opera house. It was very new to me so I enjoyed it a lot.
The next two pieces were performed by Alejandra Luca on the piano (Forgot to write the song name). The tempo started out really slow but then picked up the tempo in a heartbeat to a very fast tempo but then went back to a slow dark/emo rhythm. The song was extremely bipolar, it had me smiling because I was enjoying the fast pace it was going at but then bored when it kept going into its sad rhythm moments. Her next piece was very sad/scary. I felt like I was in one of the underground levels in super Mario the whole time she was performing that piece.
The next piece was Mr. Carlos Molina on the Guitar playing a Sonata. You can tell he got really into it because he was showing huge amounts of emotion while playing. It started out very thrilling but 2 minutes into it, I started to sound like a huge mess. I couldn’t catch the rhythm at all and it sounded like he messed up a ton of times. It reminded me of something Hawaiian. It literally was about 15 minutes long. I saw so many people yawning and trying to distract themselves by taking out there phones or talk to the person next to them. Personally, I thought it was dreadful.
Next was Sheila Barish on the piano with Idalia Gonzalez as the Soprano. The piece they performed was called “La Maja de Goya” by Enrique Granados. Idalia sang in Spanish with her very nice/soft voice. It was a soft sound the whole way through and she sang at a moderate pitch. You could tell her voice was soothing the crowd nicely.
This next performance really set the theme for this month. It was Kevin Gil on the piano performing a piece by Mario Mathilda Alea called “fiesta en el Batey”. The melody kept increasing and decreasing throughout the performance and really set that scary/spooky type of vibe. It felt like Halloween during his piece.
Kevin Wayne Bumpers was up next performing a piece on the piano called “Malambo” by Alberto Ginastera. It started off moderate but increasing rapidly for about thirty seconds and then repeating itself the same way for the rest of the performance. The piece made me feel like something amazing was about to happen.
The final performance was Dr. Virginia Covarrubias on the piano playing a piece called “Scherzo” by Mario Ruiz Armengol. It started off very creepy, like if I was entering a vampire’s mansion. The tempo was slow but kept rising throughout the piece. This was my favorite performance of the night because it really caught me attention and kept me wanting more. It was very entertaining and lifting; it made me want to take piano lessons just to learn how to pay that piece. Overall the whoe recital was entertaining and a fun experience.

« Last Edit: October 19, 2009, 04:21:16 pm by Paul0567 » Logged
C@milo1527
Master Musician (20 points)

Rockin'

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2009, 09:33:15 pm »

Tongue

Camilo Munoz

Well, on Oct 13th 2009 I went to the piano concert and this is what I have to say about it(I am giving my opinions!):

The first performance was done by a young man playing the piano. I was surprised at how good and accurate he played. The dynamics of the piece of music he played were very well put together. Over all, I think he did a fantastic job in playing that particular piece, very good tempo, from adagio to allegro in the flick of a finger.

The second performance was a young lady performing an opera piece. I think she did a great job on this piece. It’s just personally not my cup of tea. And her voice had a very loud and obnoxious pitch! I won’t say it was bad, because it wasn’t. I just personally wasn’t impressed. And for some odd reason, I felt as though her rhythm was off a bit.

The third piece of music played was also on a piano. I am not sure, but apparently the player chose the perfect piece for him! He did an outstanding job! I really liked the melody of the piece of music he chose to play on this night. And the tempo was great. It was allegro at one moment, and adagio the next.

The next musician played the guitar. He played two different pieces. For the first piece, he did a good job, but I wasn’t too fascinated with the piece he chose to play. The tempo wasn’t too fascinating to me. It seemed andante throughout the whole time. For the second piece, I wasn’t expecting much, but to my surprise, it picked up the tempo. I was fascinated by this piece. I was listening closely to hear for any errors or missed beats, but he did a very good job.

This next piece of music was an instrument and a young lady singing. The piano piece and the lady performer went very well together. It had a nice rhythm throughout the whole piece. The young lady had a very appealing voice which went great with the piano’s tone.

The next piece of music was played on the piano as well. By a beautiful young lady that played two different pieces(I’m not sure if I mentioned that she was just gorgeous). The first piano piece she chose had a grave tempo, pretty much throughout the whole time, sometimes, though, it did increase to vivace, but then back to adagio. She did a great job playing this piece. I was falling in love while she was playing this! She was gorgeous and played wonderful! What more can you ask for? I found this piece she chose to be relaxing yet mysterious! The second piece she chose was very good and changed from piano to forte from one moment to another. This piece was very ear catching, very well played. I was very surprised on her ability to play so good, yet look so beautiful!

This next piece of music was a guitar. A three piece sonata(according to the man) written by Jose Orveno. Much Cuban flavor(according to the man). As the man began playing the guitar, I was waiting for the “flavor” he spoke of. I was not impressed with this piece of music that he performed. I did not hear a “Cuban” rhythm he spoke off! If there’s one thing I know of Cuban, it’s their women, and the music rhythm. That was not “Cuban rhythm!” The man seemed nice though. He played a couple of pieces, but by the end of the first, I started getting a headache! When he was done, the people were clapping furiously, but I think they were clapping harder and harder, because he was done! I know I was!

This next piece was a good come-back from the previous act. There was two performers—a piano and an opera—she did a pretty good job with her voice, but I am not too fascinated by this music. This piece had more or less the same rhythm throughout the whole time, very well done by both performers. Very nice tempo not too fast, nor too slow, just right!

This next piece was done by the young man that played the very first piano piece.
This piece that he performed had a pretty random tempo going from pianissimo to piano to forte and then fortissimo. Great piece! This piece was just as good as the first that he played! I must admit, this kid had skills!

This next piece was also a piano piece. I would have to say that this one was probably the best piece the whole night! I loved the temple! It was fast throughout the whole time! The performer did an outstanding job playing this! Did not miss one key! I loved this one! Definitely the most difficult piece yet!

This piece—the last piece—was another lady performer. At first it sounded as if it was going to be a piano temple piece, but as it went on, it started increasing speed. She too did an excellent job! It had a pretty odd temple though. Going from pianissimo to fortissimo from one second to the next! She too did a wonderful job!

All an all, mostly everyone did a phenomenal job in their performance. I was expecting nothing more than ordinary performances, but left the auditorium with a smile on my face! I witnessed a great—and free—performance! Now I know where to take a date to, to enjoy the night and save my pocket!
« Last Edit: October 21, 2009, 01:06:06 pm by C@milo1527 » Logged

It's not what you know, but what you can prove!
Gina0361
Novice

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2009, 12:36:43 pm »

On Tuesday, October 13, 2009 I attended the MDC Piano Recital. I wasn't able to see the first performance due to the fact that I was running late. The recital was conducted my Wayne Bumpers.
The first performance I saw was a guitar solo by Mr. Juan Carlos Vera. It had a fast tempo. It seemed he was touching more than one string at the same time. His hand movement was incredible; I doubt he was using a pick.
The second performance was called The Discreet Man. Wayne Bumpers was one of the performers. The lady gave a brief description of what the song meant. When I saw her I didn't not expect her to sing the way she was singing. Her voice was opera-like. The song had a fast tempo.
The third performance was a selection from Danzas Gitanas. The first song had a slow tempo but would change from high to low several of times. The second song by this same performer, had a slow tempo also, but immediately changed to high one and remained there.
The fourth performance was a Sonata. The performer gave a description of the original author of the song. He also said that the sonata had Cuban rhythms, modern and contemporary. In my opinion, it was the worst performance of the night. I don’t know much about music so I shouldn’t really judge but, the way the music changed, it made it seemed like he made a mistake. I could barely make out the rhythms that he said we would here. His performance was endless!
The fifth performance was called La Maja de Goya. The piano was played by the singer of the second performance and sang by one of her students. The song was in Spanish and I was opera-like. The tempo was medium and so was the pitch.
The sixth performance was Fiesta en el Batey. The tempo was varied from fast to slow but the pitch was always low. I liked the way he played, it sounded really good. It looked like he really knew was he was doing.
The seventh performance was Malambo. It was performed by the coordinator of the concert, Wayne Bumpers. The tempo started slow but it picked up immediately. The pitch was low most of the time. His performance was very engaging and it was amazing. I wouldn’t have minded this performance being the endless one.
The eighth and final performance was really good also. I liked the way she played the piano. The song sounded amazing. It was a mysterious song with dramatic points.
For some reason the posture of the men and women playing the piano was different. The men sat up straight while the women were almost hunched over.
Tatiana8403
Novice

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2009, 01:35:58 pm »

On Tuesday October 13,2009  I attended the MDC Piano Recital which Wayne Bumpers was the coordinator. Due to the fact that I got there a little late I missed the first three performances of the night. But when I had entered the room MR. Juan Carlos Vera was performing his guitar solo. He played this type of Spanish kind of rhythm on the guitar which made me feel as though I was in Spain or something. Funny thing is that before entering the auditorium I had seen him outside practicing but I thought he was one of those bums that usually play to get peoples loose change. Because his appearance was that of a crazy, dirty bum because he has this long, untamed white hair. So when I then later saw him on the stage I was taken back some what and surprised that he was actually one of the performers of the night and not just some hobo outside. His guitar solo started off soft and high pitched and then later on and through out the piece it was in a fast tempo. He moved his fingers on that guitar so fast and stroked several strings at the same time that it was as if he had done some white before his performance. But that’s what made his performance probably my favorite of the night because his piece kept my interest from beginning to end.
                 The next performance was by Mrs. Sheila M. Barnish as Soprano, and K. Wayne Bumpers, as the accompanist. They performed the song “El Majo Discreto” (The Discret Man) by Enrique Granados. Lets just say this performance really woke me up and made my ears ring a little afterwards. In the performance this blonde, gringa looking lady sang a song in Spanish and throughout the piece it was very high pitched and she reach some really,  really high pitched notes that I felt if I would have a glass cup in my hand it would have shattered.
                  The following performance was Alejandra Luca as the pianist and she was a student of Velia Yedra and she performed Selections from Danzas Gitanas Op.55 by Joaquin Turina. She started off slow and soft. Then the performance would be in a low pitch but then would go high towards the middle of the performance and also there was a crescendo. Also in the piece there were parts that the music went back and forth almost like a question being responded by an answer type of thing.
                 Then there was the dam Sonata by Jose Ardevol who was performed by Mr. Carlos Molina on the guitar. Mr. Molina was this old Cuban looking man that looked as if he was liked by many but after his performance there was nothing to like about him or the song. Throughout the piece the pitched varied constantly and it always felt uneasy. It was like the song had no set rhythm and it was just one big crazy mess, that kept constantly changing. To me this piece was kind of annoying and the worst part was that it felt as though it was never going to end, he was playing the guitar on that stage what seemed as though an eternity.
                Idalia Gonzalez as soprano, and Mrs. Sheila M. Barnish as the accompanist was the next performance after. They performed the song La Maja de Goya by Enrique Granados. She sang in Latin and other than the whole funny part of her fanning herself while she sang it was a decent performance. She sang in somewhat a moderate tempo and moderate pitch.
              Next was Kevin Gil as the pianist and this guest performer chose to do the song Fiesta en el Batey by Mario Mathilda Alea. This was the other performance of the night that caught my attention because he was so young to be playing such a complicated piece and playing it well at that it really impressed me. The song was a fast tempo and like what seemed dark notes were in the piece and it would go back and forth from fast to slow throughout the performance. Also when listening to him play and the song itself felt as though you were on some kind of quest or journey.
                         After him was Professor Kevin Wayne Bumpers again on the piano and he performed Malambo by Alberto Ginastera. This song started off slow but not for long because it then went into a really fast tempo. It was scary kind of fast but it was cool and enjoyable. He was another one of the performances I liked throughout the night. 
                     And so the last performance was by Dr. Virginia Covarrubias on the piano. She did Scherzo by Mario Ruiz Armengol. This choice of song was really creepy and it made me feel like I was in a scary movie or in Dracula’s house or something. It was all mysterious with its low notes and it then transitioned into a fast tempo and then went into a slow melody. It was the weirdest and especially how she would be leaning forward and back while playing the piece.

Kiptum6307
Novice

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2009, 12:03:47 pm »

On October thirteenth two thousand and nine, I attended the piano recital concert. This concert was coordinated by Wayne Bumpers, who also had a solo in the concert, and I'll talk more about that later. Rodester Brandon kept the concert very orderly, and reminded the crowd of good concert etiquette. The first piece was called "Andalucia", that was originally composed by Ernesto Lecuona. He was a Cuban composer who lived from nineteen eighty five to nineteen sixty three. Kevin Gil performed the piece on the piano. He was a guest performer from the Miami Dade School for Advanced Studies. He is the protege of Olga Ferrah. This piece wasnt as smooth as I know it should have been. It had a mostly low tone, which made it somewhat boring but relaxing to me. It also had a polyphonic texture. You can tell the performer wasn't very experienced, because it really showed in the music. The next piece was called "Estrellita" which translates into little star. The original composer was Manuel Ponce, who is also Mexican. He lived from eighteen eighty two to nineteen forty eight. This performance featured a soprano, and the piano. The soprano was Christina Antoni who sung the song very well. Her accompanist was Sheila M. Barish, who is also Antoni's teacher. They both played the piece to the best of their ability. The third performance of night belonged to Shintaro

Yasuda. He is the student of Wayne Bumpers, and he performed "Apasianado". The song was originally composed by Rene Touzet who was also Cuban. He lived from nineteen sixteen to two thousand three. The song had a mostly low tone, but overall was played pretty well. This was one of my favorite pieces of the night. The fourth piece of the night was only a guitar solo. The song's composer was never announced, and the title was just "Guitar Solo". The song had a polyphonic texture, and a low pitch. This was actually one of the best performances of the night, and the string instrument was played very well. Sheila M. Barish was the next performer who had Wayne Bumpers as her
accompanist on the piano. The duo played "El Majo Discrepto", which translates into the discret man. It was composed by spanish composer Enrique Granados. He lived from eighteen sixty seven to nineteen sixteen. Her voice went through a different array of pitch ranges. The next piece called "Selections from Danzas Gitanas Op.55". Alejandra Luca was the pianist. Overall the song was well played, but also very boring to me, it had a homophonic texture. The next piece was credited as "Sonata", It had three parts, Preludio, Variaciones, and Danza. It was homophonic, with nice sounds. Ultimately it put me to sleep though. The next piece was called "La Maja de Goya" Idalia Gonzalez was the soprano, who had a soft voice. This is the part of the concert that put me to sleep. The next piece was really boring. It was called Fiesta en el Batey, performed by Kevin Gil. Everything from this point on in the concert went down hill. The next piece "Malambo", was performed with a fast tempo, by Kevin Bumpers. The last song of the night was called "Scherzo" and was played by Virginia Covarrubias. Overall the concert was performed by excellent players, but could have been more exciting.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2009, 12:07:16 pm by Kiptum6307 » Logged
victor6229
Novice

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2009, 08:58:40 am »

October 13, 2009 I attended the piano recital held in MDC. The Recital was coordinated by Wayne Bumpers which made a few appearances I believe.

The first performance was called Andalucía. Kevin Gil performed the piece on the piano. He was a guest performer from the Miami Dade School for Advanced Studies. He played the piano with perfection. His fingers ran along the keys like a knife through butter. The tempo of the piece varied from adagio to allegro and was performed flawlessly. Great performance made me feel relaxed.

The second performance was by Christina Antoni and it was an opera. I personally am not attracted to opera but it was also performed well. Christina had an impressive voice but nothing life changing. As far as the song, it wasn’t my favorite with its fast tempo.

The next performance was a selection from Danzas Gitanas. Two songs were played on the piano to perfection. This piano performance took the cake. The song was as good as the performance. The pieces performed both would suddenly change from a slow tempo to fast one keeping the audience intrigued.

The last performance I was able to see was the sonata written by Jose Orveno. The man described the piece to contain a cuban flavor so as the performance began I sought out that key description. I have been raised into cuban culture and the piece contained none of it. Besides the let down I personally didn’t like the song; it was slow, long, and boring. His appearance was fairly interesting with long untamed white hair. By far my least favorite performance of the night, my expectations were way higher.

The reason for my early departure dealt with my mom and what time she got out of work. Had to pick-up my sister.

The concert was nice to attend considering people my age are rarely exposed to true music anymore. It was a great experience I believe and I think everyone in the audience felt the same way. Concert etiquette was at its best thanks to the workers and volunteers involved. I see myself attending another concert soon.
kevin3390
Novice

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2009, 07:40:32 pm »

I chose to attend the Hispanic Music Concert on October 13th, 2009. This concert was held in the McCarthy Auditorium at Miami Dade College Kendall Campus, and was coordinated by Wayne Bumpers. I felt like the performances were rather slow and boring and did not capture the attention of the crowd at all. Good soprano singers performed pieces such as “La Maja de Goya” and “Estrellita” but the songs themselves were uninteresting and dull.  One of the performances was Wayne Bumpers on the piano while Sheila Barish was the soprano singer. The song they performed was called “El Majo Discrepto”  by Enrique Granados in English it is translated as “The Descrete Man”. At times I felt like I was forced to be at the concert but, I finally enjoyed being able to experience a live performance of music. One of my favorite performances was the guitar solo by Mr. Juan Carlos Vera. Even though the name of the song that he was playing is unknown I felt that he played a fast tempo song on the string instrument to perfection. This fast paced song was the most entertaining piece of the night for me. Hispanic music has a wide variety of sounds, instruments and origins. From Spain to the New Continent the sounds of Hispanics are being carried around the world.  I am of Latin American background so I felt that the music  shows a lot about our culture. Latin America is home to musical styles such as the simple, rural conjunto music of northern Mexico, the sophisticated habanera of Cuba, the rhythmic sounds of the Puerto Rican plena, the symphonies of Heitor Villa-Lobos, and the simple and moving Andean flute. Music has played an important part recently in Latin America's politics, the nueva canción movement being a prime example. Latin music is very diverse, with the only truly unifying thread being the use of Latin-derived languages, predominantly the Spanish language, the Portuguese language in Brazil. I also enjoyed the piece named “Fiesta en el Batey” because it reflects Cuban heritage and was performed outstandingly by Kevin Gil whom I believe is one the best piano players I have ever watched; he also performed the first song “ Andalucia” which was originally composed by Ernesto Lecuona who lived from 1859-1963. I am glad that I attended this concert because it helped me to better appreciate different pieces of music from the Hispanic culture.   Smiley
« Last Edit: December 03, 2009, 03:43:34 pm by kevin3390 » Logged
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: