The Student Lounge
July 08, 2020, 06:28:03 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: All posts and revisions must be completed on or before 6:00 am on July 31st. NO EXCEPTIONS.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: MDC Faculty Woodwind Quintet 10/29  (Read 24084 times)
Brian C. Wuttke
Administrator
Musical Legend

View Profile WWW
« on: August 21, 2009, 04:27:08 am »

MDC Faculty Woodwind Quintet
Thursday, October 29th, 7:30 pm
« Last Edit: August 21, 2009, 04:29:34 am by Brian C. Wuttke » Logged

I taught it, but did they learn?
Kevin4632
Novice

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2009, 06:17:13 pm »

This was pretty good concert.Ive never been a total fan of classical music,normally my mother would put some classical music on the radio and it would make me sleep but not this concert it kept my interest.Ive never seen an actual bassoon it amazed me how it sounded and looked. It first began with a piece by Mozart. Slow and Moderate tempo. This began to myself at ease a bit, it was very soothing made me feel very relaxed.Then the tempo became a little faster compared to the first part. I felt like this was the climax of the piece or of an action movie. Finally the last part had both tempos.In this piece I enjoyed the piano the most,as a novice piano player I was intrigued by pace she was playing,it seemed like she was playing a chromatic scale of some sort,but whatever it was it sounded amazing. The Second piece was by a composer by the name of Claude Bolling. This piece became the inspiration for what was to come of future crossovers of Jazz/Classical.Beginning with the woodwinds,then switching over to string bass,drums and piano. Then it repeated the process then they both played at the same time.This was something that caught my attention the most, very amazing. I never knew that these styles of music can be blended together to make such an amazing combination.These styles are so different from each other, besides the fact that they have a century or two of difference.The gentleman playing the string bass made me want to play my own bass,his style of playing was so amazing I was mesmerized by motion of his hands.  The third piece called Roaring Fork, not only was the music played very well, but the pictures displayed went hand in hand and immersed me into the scenery. Ive never seen pictures so vividly beautiful.This made me feel like I was going down the rapids with other people and it was a new adventure not knowing what to expect,it felt like the music in the background was the soundtrack for a movie. Finally ending with a Piece by Farkas Ference. This piece had amazing flute parts.Even though she was playing very quickly she still maintain her tempo. It was like she was sports car in the Autobahn  going very fast,yet not too fast compared to the rest of traffic.I have never seen this kind of playing of woodwind instruments, all of the musicians showed an amazing talent for playing. Overall I enjoyed this concert and hope to see more in the near future Grin
« Last Edit: November 01, 2009, 09:07:07 pm by Kevin4632 » Logged

Long Live Metal!
michael4206
Novice

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2009, 09:35:37 pm »

Concert review October 29, 2009
     Tonight I attended the Faculty Woodwind Quintet concert at McCarthy Hall. They started tonight’s performance with a piece by Mozart. They opened with Bronwen Rutter on the piano playing in a very soft tone followed by Jay Brown on the Clarinet, Marjorie Hahn on the horn, Lori Patrick on the Oboe, and Rodester Brandon on the Bassoon.  They all played together for a brief moment. After a few seconds of a piano solo they all played together once again in what seemed to me to be the best part of the performance by the group. This piece had a slow start but after a few moments it began to pick speed in a truly surprising way. The entire time this piece was performed the energy could be felt by the audience.  Soon after the melody slowed down once again. Bronwen Rutter had a few moments that were absolutely amazing. As the first number ended you could tell that the audience was truly enjoying the simplicity and beauty of Mozart’s work. As the piece is performed you could see the skill it takes to try and duplicate one of Mozart’s masterpieces.
     The second composition tonight was by Claude Bolling. Performing this number was the Woodwind Quintet, along with Don Wilner, playing the sting bass, and Chad Patrick on the drums. At the start it sounded like it is going to be a classical smooth song, but to my surprise it turned into a wonderful Jazz piece at a very fast tempo. The piece had multiple movements where there was a solo performance from the woodwind and then a pause as the drums, piano, and string bass had a moment to shine and take over.  One could see the tiredness on the faces of the performers throughout the piece. That symbolized how difficult it is to perform any piece at this level of performance.  This piece ended with the entire group playing together, which I thought really brought the composition to a close.
     The third composition was a piece by Eric Ewazen, called Roaring Fork. As the performance was being played there was a beautiful slideshow of pictures from Aspen Colorado. This piece was at a very fast tempo. As one heard the music and watched the pictures pass on the screen it felt like the beauty of the nature was surrounding the room. The beauty and simplicity of the piece coincided with the beauty of the photos shown behind the performers. The piece ended with a beautiful harmony of the 5 performers.
      The final piece tonight was composed by Frankas Ferenc called Serenade for Wind Quintet. This piece had multiple moments where there was a very fast beat and it then slowed down almost instantly.  However, as you would think it was going to stay in such a matter it sped up again. The third movement is at a quick tempo with the perfect unison of all performers. The tempo remained the same throughout the entire movement. The performers showed how talented one must be to perform such a fast and beautiful piece.  Suzan DeGooyer maintained an amazing performance with all the different speeds she needed to perform though the entire piece. Overall the concert was very entertaining and interesting. Personally I never thought I could enjoy a concert like that, but I was shocked by how much effort is needed to attempt a piece like the ones performed tonight. Overall I found that the concert was performed in perfect harmony.

Victor7450
Novice

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2009, 07:36:42 am »

When I walked out of the McCarthy auditorium last night the one thing I was sure of is that I had gone through so many different emotions through this show.  I was at the Faculty Woodwind Quintet in which they had Suzan DeGooyer on Flute, Lori Patrick on Oboe, Jay Brown playing clarinet, Majorie Hahn on French horn and Rodester Brandon on the bassoon. They had some special guest that played with them  such as Bronwen Rutter on Piano, Don Wilner on Bass and Chad Patrick playing the drums. The first piece they played was Mozart’s Quintet for piano and winds in Eb Major and right off the bat I want to admit that I am not a woodwinds player or a French horn player for that matter, but the first song disappointed me. I admit that the song with all the three movements as a whole was very good it had a great melody like in all Mozart pieces and it was just a good piece. But for some reason I kept hearing some sour notes that just completely threw me off from the feel of the music. Now like I said earlier I don’t play any of the instruments in the quintet but if that’s how they are suppose to be played for that piece then I guess I just haven’t learned to appreciate it yet, or who knows it might have just been the piece and that’s just a song that I don’t particularly like from Mozart but in the end I was disappointed by the first piece. The next piece was Suite for Flute and jazz piano by Claude Bolling arranged by Rafael Valencia, Now this piece I really liked. Its tempo was so spontaneous it made you pay attention because of such drastic changes. I kept noticing that changed from duple meter to triple meter which just made it more interesting to listen to. The mood of the piece was very relaxed and nice still danceable and catchy. The third piece was Roaring Fork by Eric Ewazen and they did something very interesting for this piece, they put down the screen and while they were playing they showed scenes of very calm and serene landscapes. The photos were taken by Todd Patrick and they felt that incorporating these pictures would work perfectly with the feel of the music. I think that it really did and it made the piece that much more interesting to listen to, when there was a majestic scene in the back ground the song would follow along and would also get a strong proud feel to it. There last song was Serenade for Wind Quintet by Farkas Ferenc. They always say that when you play a concert you have to save the best piece for last so that is it remembered. They followed this to a tee.  It was wonderful; it had a great melody that was complimented by really good instrumentation and great dynamic changes. They always say that when you play a song you can’t just play it you have to make music out of it and they did that for sure. In all I thoroughly enjoyed this concert except for a couple of things here and there that bothered me a bit everything else was fine and I enjoyed it a lot.
Naureen4495
Afficionado (5 points)

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2009, 06:07:07 pm »

Last night I attended the Faculty Woodwind Quintet concert in McCarthy Hall.  This was a great concert, with such lively music. The concert consisted of many instruments such as the flute, oboe, clarinet, french horn, and the bassoon, along with special performances by a piano, string bass and drums.
  Concert began off with Wolfgang A. Mozart's composition, which was very lively and beautiful. First movement began off as Largo- Allegro moderato, second movement was larghetto, and third movement was Allegretto. These movements made the song have a free will feel.
  Second performance was a little different, it was composed by a well known composer Claude Bolling, Bolling has played jazz piano for many years and has made over 300 songs for French movies, he is well known for his cross over collaboration such as the excerpt performed called '' Baroque and Blue.'' This composition, had to be my favorite of the night because of how the music started off soft with woodwind instruments and then began to mix in with Jazz music and kept this fast beat composition.
  The third performance was very interesting as well, because the faculty planned to play a slide show of beautiful pictures that were taken by Todd Patrick of Aspen, Colorado. This piece was known as the Roaring Fork, by Eric Ewazen, he produces contemporary music and the faculty performed the first movement of this piece. Music was very fast tempo and went well with the beautiful pictures on the slide.
  Last piece was a 3 movement composition, by Farkas Ferenc, called the Serenade for Wind Quintet. Ferenc was born n Hungary, and was taught by an Italian tutor in Hungary to compose music. This piece was very smooth, had certain tone changes but was performed absolutely  great. I would never have thought I would enjoy such a concert, and I truly did last night. I would love to attend, the performers were just great and carried out the performance with such grace and kept the audience quite interested.

* Naureen *
Alfredo6528
Afficionado (5 points)

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2009, 11:09:07 pm »

I attended the Faculty Woodwind Quintet concert held at McCarthy auditorium on October 29th at 7:30p.m. There were the five main performers, Suzan Degooyer on Flute, Lori Patrick on Oboe, Jay Brown on Clarinet, Marjorie Hahn on French Horn and Rodester Brandon on Bassoon; as well as some guest performers in the second tune. There were four works that were played by different composers. There was a piece by Wolfgang A. Mozart, Claude Bolling, Eric Ewazen and Farkas Ferenc.  The first piece performed was by Mozart, it is titled “Quintet for Piano and Winds in Eb Major”. In this piece there were three different movements. In the first movement, “Largo-Allegro moderato”, I thought that the dynamics could have been a little more exaggerated.  A difference in dynamics could be heard but not a huge one. Although there was a section with in the music in which the oboe had a melody and the bassoon had the counter melody which I though was executed very well. The second movement, “Larghetto”, the French Hornist had a solo in which the articulation was clean and it really helped the development of the second movement. As well, the clarinetist and oboist had an exceptional call and response. Also what I noticed was that this movement had some word painting; as the notes ascended so did the volume of the piece.  In the final movement of this piece, “Allegretto”, the winds and pianist both articulated cleanly throughout the entire movement. The oboist performed her solo cleanly but I did not think the same about the solo that the bassoonist had. The second piece of music that was performed at the concert was called “Suite for Flute and Jazz Piano” by Claude Bolling and arranged for Piano and Wind Quintet by Rafael Valencia. This was the piece in which the guest performers appeared in. they were Brownen Rutter on Piano, Don Wilner on String Bass, and Chad Patrick on drums. This piece has seven movements but the musicians only performed the first movement titled “Baroque and Blue.” In this movement the flute had a strong entrance with a good accompaniment from the piano. In this movement it was clear to distinguish section “A” from section “B”. Section A consisted of a flute and piano soli followed by an answer from the winds and the rhythm section, while section B consisted of a piano solo accompanied by the rhythm section. There was a constant battle between the flute and piano as well as with in the winds. There was always a constant call and response between the different instruments in this movement. Overall this piece was a little more enjoyable than any other piece performed at the concert. The third piece performed at this concert was “Roaring Fork” composed by Eric Swazen. This is a multi-movement piece, but once again the musicians only performed the first movement. The name of the first movement is “Whitewater Rapids”, and in this piece the music was accompanied by photographs, by Todd Patrick, of Aspen, Colorado. The pictures along with the music helped the listener to connect the music to something tangible. The way this piece was performed made me think about the chaos of nature but at the same time the tranquility. It was an enjoyable piece to listen as well as to watch. There was actually a section within the piece that reminded me of the song “Colors of the Wind” from the Disney movie Pocahontas. The final piece of this concert was titled “Serenade for Wind Quintet” composed by Farkas Ferenc.  There were three movements in this piece and it was the last movement, “Saltarello: Allegro vivace” that caught my attention. This piece made me visualize a group of people dancing in a folklorist style. It was interesting because the explanation given before the piece was performed was about how the composer would incorporate his Hungarian folklore into this piece.  Overall the concert was fairly enjoyable and it was a good experience.
gabriel235
Novice

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2009, 10:03:47 am »

Tonight I attended the MDC Faculty Woodwind quintet. I had never attended a live wind symphony or any type of symphony for that matter. Over all I found the music played was great. It was very interesting how they seemed to flow from transition to transition.  The symphony started with a piece by Mozart. The piano played a soft ton, while Jay Brown was on the clarinet; Marjorie Hahn played the horn, Lorie Patrick on the oboe and Rodester Brandon on the bassoon. After a short solo from the piano, they all joined in to play together. The piece began slow but began picking up tempo which made it interesting; it then began to slow down back to its beginning tempo. As the piece reached its end you could tell how simple Mozart’s work was yet how complex it was to play.
The second composition tonight was by Claude Bolling, performing this piece was the woodwind quintet but joined with Don Wilner, playing the string bass, on drums was Chad Patrick. As it began it had a classical sound to it but then turned into a jazz piece with a very upbeat tempo. As the piece moved ahead there was a solo from the woodwind which was perfect. Then a pause came with only the drums, piano and string bass had a chance to show their great skills. The piece closed with all of them coming together and playing which brought the piece to a close.
 The third piece was by Eric Ewazen, called Roaring Fork. Along with the music a slideshow emphasized the imagery in the music. The piece had a very fast tempo and with the images of aspen Colorado the sense of simplicity of nature matched the simplicity of the music. This piece ended with a harmony of the 5 performers.
 The final piece was composed by frankas ferenc, called serenade for wind quintet. The piece had many fast tempo moments that changed into slow tempo movements almost with no transition. As the piece moved on it would jump back to a very fast tempo yet again. In the third movement all the performers would come together to play at a fast tempo in what you could tell took perfect timing from each performer.  This was a first time for me, and I must admit it was entertaining and captivating to see them perform live and go through the motions almost effortlessly. Throughout the concert one could see the practice it would take to harmonize so well and keep up with the tempo that had its very intricate parts.
 Grin
Manuel5944
Afficionado (5 points)

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2009, 04:37:45 pm »

Well I attended this concert, and at first I must admit I was a little hesitant due to it being a woodwind concert. I had gone to concerts before, but usually I'd end up asleep, and not get any satisfaction with it. Well tonight, things went along a little differently. The quintet started with a concierto piece with three movements by Mozart. The quintet would be accompanied by a piano to help them with this piece. They also mentioned that the last movement was a Rondo, and that the cadenza had sounded improvised. Honestly, I'm not entirely sure what that means, but I'll just nod my head to it. Well I have to say at first the piece started off pretty boring. I was surprised because it was a Mozart piece and it was the one I was most looking forward to due to the fact we had just finished learning about him. It ended up being probably the worst piece of the night. I sat in the second row, from there i can Jay Brown (who performed on the clarinet) blowing and his little mistakes. The highlight of that piece was the piano, the pianist played very well ,and from what i recall didn't even mess up once. It was a slow tempo concierto, around the second movement it started getting better, along with the quality, Jay brown did mess up occasionally and sometimes didnt play the clarinet in sync with the others or the clarinet could be heard. The horn towards the end drowned out the other instruments ,and could only hear the clarinet, again i was sitting in the second row, so I don't know if that was just because I was so close. Jay brown made up for it in the third movement with a little solo, he did very well. The bassoon player (Rodester) did a very solid job, the oboe player (Marjorie) had a few mistakes as well but overall really well.
The second piece was a piece by Claude Bolling, this was my favorite of the night because the drummer ( Chad Patrick) was astounding. It sounded a lot like a nice jazz, and the tempo was moderately fast. i enjoyed this piece a lot and by that time the quintet had pulled it together and was performing seamlessly. The finale was my favorite part, all of them playing seamlessly was treat to hear.
Eric Ewazan was the third piece of the night, by this time my note taking was kind of bad, i had dded a few little things after the performance because I was captivated into listening to this. They had displayed a slide show along side the music, this was more tranquil, or atleast I felt that way with the scenic displays on the slide show.Overall a very good piece, and I enjoyed it greatly.
The last piece of the night was composed by Frankas Ferenc, by this time my notes have dwindled to no more the n a line. I absolutely and completely enjoyed this piece a lot. My second favorite piece of the night. It had a lot of tempo changes with little to no transitions, and had some very fluid and great playing.

The night had started bad, but by the end of the night, the quintet got my attention and at the same time entertained me. i really enjoyed my time at this concert!
Keiara2134
Novice

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2009, 07:29:47 pm »

Grin :(The Faculty woodwind quintet held at the Miami Dade College, Kendall campus, was very short but mainly satisfying. It was held in the school’s McCarthy auditorium on Thursday, October 29, 2009 at 7:30 p.m. If it wasn’t for Miami Dade’s talented group of musicians putting the hard work and effort into this concert, it would have never been that great. Each performer demonstrated their talent through a different instrument. Lori Patrick played a major role in the woodwind quintet as he played the Oboe producing degrees of dynamics. Jay Brown played the clarinet, Marjorie Hahn emphasized such peaceful sounds of music with the French Horn, Rodester Brandon played the bassoon, and if it wasn’t for Suzan DeGooyer a couple of the movements played would have been lacking the free spirited feeling that the Flute added to the performance. There were also guest performers whom played a major part in the second half of the concert. Browen Rutter played the Piano, Don Wilner played the String Bass, and Chad Patrick played the Drums. There were four performances that involved different movements of that performance. The first performance was a song named “the quintet for piano and Winds in Eb Major” and was composed by Wolfgang A. Mozart in 1756. This piece involved the luxury of three movements. First was the Largo-Allegro moderato. Secondly, the Larghetto and last the Allegretto. There was a lot of team work involved in this piece.  In the beginning, all the composers started together at once. Marjorie Hahn leads with the French horn while everyone else follows. If the performers were not playing cat and mouse they were playing follow the leader. There were parts in this piece that would have very fast tempo and then moderately slow down.
   The second performance involved one main movement, which was the “Suite for Flute and Jazz” and was composed by Claude Bolling in 1930. The guest performers were mainly involved in the second work. The Baroque and blues were emphasized in this work also. This was my favorite piece because it showed the free spirited side of music. Suzan DeGooyer starts the piece out with the flute, and then Rutter with the piano accompanies her. Don Wilner and Chad Patrick join with the string bass and drums.
   The third performance, “Roaring Fork”, composed by Eric Ewazen in 1954 was well thought out and performed. I thought it was new and creative how Todd Patrick put a slide show of nature, trees, snow, spring time, mountains, ECT, to show the meaning of the music in more depth. The one movement this piece contained was called Whitewater Rapids (Maroon Creek).
   The last performance was “Serenade for wind Quintet” composed by Farkas Ferenc. This piece involved three movements like the first. Allegro, Andante espressivo, and Saltarello: Allegro vivace. I didn’t like this too much because it wasn’t a good ending for the well thought out performance. It was like watching a movie that ended with no proper ending. It was not well thought while being composed for that performance. So therefore I didn’t have much to say about it.

Sad
Alexandra4300
Novice

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2009, 01:17:55 pm »

I attended the Faculty Woodwind Quintet, this past Thursday, October 29. There were five instruments that were played and they all sounded great together. There was the flute, the oboe, the clarinet, the French horn, and the bassoon. I thought that the bassoon was a very interesting looking instrument, I had never seen on in person before. There was four parts to the show; the first was a Quintet for piano and Winds in EB major, the second was a Suite for Flute and Jazz Piano, the third was Roaring Fork, and the fourth was a Serenade for Wind Quintet. They all had exerted different moods and emotions, and I was able to feel them when I was listening. The Quintet for Piano and Winds in Eb Major, by Mozart, it started off slow and soft with the piano and the progressed to up beat and fast pace. In this piece of art there was Largo-Allegro moderato, Larghetto, and Allegretto. After the piano softly played, the other instruments joined in unison. The vibes and energy that the music was releasing were amazing. After playing in unison in an upbeat manner, it slowed down again with the piano for a beautiful finish. This was an intricate piece of Mozart’s and they were able to play it perfectly. The second piece was the Suite for Flute and Jazz Piano, by Claude Bolling. This composition had Baroque style and you can tell as soon as they began to play. It began with a soft classical tone and all of a sudden the String Bass and the drums came in and gave it that jazz feel. It was truly spectacular. I have never heard those two styles of music combined together, it surprised me. This seemed like a very difficult piece to play, but they were able to master it with style. The third piece was called Roaring Fork, by Eric Ewazen. This composition made me feel as if I was on an adventure in the wilderness. There was a slide show in the back of nature scenes and the helped set the mood. It was very up beat and cheerful, although it had some suspense. I thought that they all played this composition very well because the audience was able to grasp the mood and emotions of the piece of music. The final piece was the Serenade for Wind Quintet, by Farkas Ferenc. This composition would alternate from being very soft to randomly speed up with a fast tempo. I could tell instantly that this piece of music was very difficult to perform and their performance was excellent. I really enjoyed the show because it was different from today’s music and I was able to experience different style of music.
Haydee0430
Novice

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2009, 01:31:05 pm »

On October 29th, I attended the Faculty Woodwind Quintet. It was located at McCarthy Auditorum, room 6120. I was pretty shocked that it was crowded. The first performance was called Quintet for Piano and Winds in Eb Major. The origonal composer was Wolfgang Mozart. There was three different movement. The first was Largo-Allegro moderato. The tempo was a fast. During the second movement, which was called Larghetto, the tempo slowed down. Finally, the final movement, which was Allergretto, it had a medium tempo. The performers were Lori Patrick on the Oboe, Jay Brown on the Clarinet, Marjorie Hahn on the Horn, and Rodester Rutter on the Piano. These performers also played in the rest of the songs throughout the evening.

The next piece they played was Suite for Flute and Jazz Piano. The origonal composer was Claude Bolling. Like Mozart, Bolling was a child protigy. In this piece, Suzan DeGrooyer, which played the Flute, joined the rest of the origonal faculty performers and the guest performers. In this piece, there were a few Piano and Flute solos and there was a lot of repitoyion. In the begining of this piece, it started with the flute and then came the other woodwind. Then came the drums, string bass, and the piano. I liked this piece because it had a jazz feel to it and I enjoy listening to jazz.

After this performance, they  played Roaring Fork. The origonal composer was Eric Ewazen. Throughout this performance, the showed a slideshow of pictures taken by Todd Patrick. The slideshow made this performance unique and it helped visualize nature. The slideshow helped me feel the music. I truly enjoyed seeing them put pictures and music together. We got the best of both worlds.
The final perfomance was Serenade for Wind Quintet. The composer was Farkas Ferenc. During the first movement, which was called Allegro, it was a medium tempo and the tempo speeded up in the end. In the second movement, which was called, Andante espressivo, it had a slow tempo throughout the whole movement. In the last movement, which was called Saltarello: allegro vivace, the tempo was between medium and fast. This last performance was good but not my favorite. My favorite performances have to be Suite for Flute and Jazz Piano because I like Jazz.

Overall, the concert was great. I'm really glad that I was able to go to this concert. I give it two thumbs up!  Cheesy
grettel6008
Novice

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2009, 01:50:50 pm »

The Faculty Woodwind Quintet  was a pretty good  concert. Whent i get in i  thing this goingt to be so bored  but then i star  to see people that i know and it seen like is not to bad to came. It frist  began  with  a piece by Mozart. The tiempo  was slow and then become more faster . This change the slow to faster make me feel like is something is going  to  happen  in this momment i realise that  i'm not bored that i like be there with  the music  and the people , they brealy came me interested. In this piece  i enjoyed the piano the most because she play like and angel she is relaxed in from of all  this people she was sure that what she's doing it right  , but they all play  pretty good. The second composition  was by Claude  Bolling . They beging  with the woodwinds,then the string, bass , drums and piano .Then they do the same thing its   amazing how they play  together in that moment i fell  like it nothing better in the world music is what  kept  the world a live .I've never like classic music but this concert change my mind . My mother allways say to me grettel classic music it the best but i never  care  now i know that my mother is correct.The third piece  was by Eric Ewaseng . They put a picture that made me fell like is something new is going to happen all  the people was staring to fell  the same  we conect the music and the picture it like went you go to see a movie and you can konw what is going to happen hering the music here is the same i can know what is going to happen looking at the picture . Finally ending  with a piece by Farkas Ferenc . This music have the same tiempo  even thouhgt she  was playing more faster . Is like went is raining  you hear is slowly and then is  more faster  but whet you brealy look  at the window  is the same rain with no  change . This was my favorete part of the concert because  its the end and all the people are interested in what is happening . I brealy like the concert for me was something new and frech this people have a talent   they  kept me interested until the end  i dont want to  go to my house  i fell pretty good there  i thing they  have something special .Whent i  get home and talk to my mother she was happy becose now we  like the same music i will  take her to the next concert  . I will enjoyed another concert of then . I  wich good look for them  in the future .  Grin
gaston8641
Novice

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2009, 03:19:23 pm »

I have never attended a classical concert in my life but seeing that these are mandatory concerts that i have to go to, i can say that it has changed my perspective on concerts. I was never introduced to this type of music ever in my life, other than when we had to learn it in music class in elementary school but i really do not remember that. The Faculty Woodwind Quintet was held at Miami Dade College, Kendall Campus and was REALLY good!! The first piece they played was a piece that Mozart composed and it was funny how everyone knew that and like it right away. It was a three piece concierto. This was my first concert ever and i was shocked at the many people that went but was unfortunate to see that the play was very short. I really wished it was longer. Each indivual that performed a piece of music with an instrument, played it very well. There were Suzan Degooyer on Flute, Lori Patrick on Oboe, Jay Brown on Clarinet, Marjorie Hahn on French Horn and Rodester Brandon on Bassoon. As well as other performances by guests which were extremely good too. I loved how they played from a slow tempo to a very fast note. It caught everyones attention and not one person was on their cell phone. Claude Bolling played the second composition, beginning with the woodwinds of course, then strings i believe, and then off to the bass, drums, piano. Eric Ewaseng played the third composition  and i really enjoyed it most. The audience was connected with the music and everything felt sync. Farkas Ferenc played the last piece and it was beautiful! Again the music started out slow and moved faster. I loved how at the end, everyone got out of their seats at the same time to applaud the performers. They really deserved it and i would love to go to another concert again at any time. As soon as i got out of the McCarthy auditorium, I called my friends to let them know what they missed. They all would like to join me and see the next concert. I also now know to not judge music before actually taking the time to hear the piece. As of right now, i am actually doing homework while listening to CD that was given to us in our textbooks. Thanks for everything!!! Cheesy
Angelica1358
Novice

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2009, 04:50:24 pm »

On October 29, 2009, I attended the Faculty Woodwind Quintet. I would have never thought that I would sit through a musical concert that was playing music composed by Wolfgang A. Mozart, that everyone is familiar with, but even of other unknown composers such as Claude Bolling, Eric Ewazen, and Farkas Ferenc. The pieces in this program were played by several faculty members. Those included Suzan DeGooyer playing the flute, Lori Patrick-Oboe, Jay Brown-Clarinet, Marjorie Hahn-French Horn, and Rodester Brandon-Bassoon. Starting with the first performance which was the Quintet for Piano (Bronwen Rutter) and winds in Eb Major by Mozart, This Quintet was divided by Largo-Allegro moderato, Larghetto, Allegretto. When listening to this musical piece, it was something new to me, the music was very peaceful and mellow in the beginning while it starts speeding up. It also had pieces where I thought that the end had come but instead it would continue for another 5 minutes...it was uneasy for the ear. But very interesting , at the end of the day it’s something new and different from what I hear every day on the radio. The second piece was Suite for Flute and Jazz Piano played by guest performers: Bronwen Rutter –Piano, Don Wilner – String Bass, and Chad Patrick-Drums. This was I believe the most entertaining piece. The beat was quite fast giving the overall piece a positive feeling. The performers plays the Baroque and Blue  which was very interesting especially on how the music would first be played by flute and familiar instruments and then changed to only drums and bass and finally all instruments would join in and play. I have to say I was very impressed! The last two performances weren’t quite as interesting as the previous but they did each make a part of the musical concert. The Roaring Fork by Eric Ewazen was different because the performers decided to play while a slide of photos played in the back. Photos were taken by Todd Patrick. These photos were very earth and somewhat intertwined with the music. The last performance of the night was the Sernade for Wind Quintet by Farkas Ferenc. This performance included Allegro, Andante espressivo, which we were told that had some Italian influences in it, and Saltarello: Allegro Vivace which had a very nervous feeling to it. Overall the Program was not boring it was somewhat interesting, and also a learning experience. It was nice how before each piece was played, one of the Performers would give the audience a small brief/ history of the piece about to be played and of its composer. The program lasted about an hour or so, and for being so short it was worth attending it.  Smiley
Matthew4161
Composer (15 points)

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2009, 05:57:14 pm »

On Thursday 29th 2009 my friend and I went to attend a concert at Miami Dade College with high expectations for what we were about to witness.  I was curious to see what type of show these performers were going to put on, I was hoping they were going to do something a little more modern than what they ended up performing. I had hard time sitting there in that concert hall listening to these staff members attempt these pieces of work.  I feel that they did not really do them justice because I could hear little mistakes that were made even if other members of the audience didn’t catch on to them.  I am a music composer myself and just from the short amount of time I was there I started to have ideas in my head of what I would do to make them better and more appealing to the masses. Now I am not saying that I would be able to make these changes to the works of Mozart and other famous well known composers because I am not in the position to change the past and tamper with these historical pieces of work. How ever I think that one day people will be looking back on my pieces of work and hold them in high regards almost as they do today with Mozart and Beethoven and other great composers of the past.  The concert was dull in my opinion, it did not have much vivacity and I caught my self falling asleep through out the entire performance. Maybe next time they can try to spice it up a bit because the selections they chose to play were just boring. I have heard other symphonies and pieces of work done by these composers that the staff of Miami Dade chose to pay respects to and I have to say they were much more interesting. I don’t know who was responsible for coming up with the set list of songs that were played but that person should no have a job anymore. It is nice to pay respect to the past by honoring these composers by playing there songs today but I think it can be done in a more creative way. I have heard some remixes to Mozart and Beethoven which incorporated the beauty of their compositions but also made it intriguing to the youth today. Music from those times are just so completely different from the music of today that it almost doesn’t appeal anymore unless of course you’re a classical music lover, and to be honest I don’t know many classical music lovers between the age of 18 and 30.
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to: