The Student Lounge
January 19, 2020, 01:57:01 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Each listening critique must contain a minimum of 300 words to receive credit.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Broadway in Review 10/22  (Read 15341 times)
Magdaly2685
Novice

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2009, 04:38:38 pm »

On October 22, I attended the Broadway in Review musical concert. The performers were Ken Blatt as a soloist and Sheila Barish as pianist. As the show began, I thought to myself how it was possible for one person to do a various amount of musicals. I realized it was a one man show, and a great one at that. There were a numerous amount of songs performed that night. Some songs I was not familiar with but some I did know and like. Many of the songs performed were from the musicals of Brigadon, Roberta, Very Warm for May, Beauty and the Beast, The Lion King, Mamma Mia, and Phantom of the Opera.
   For the introduction of this performance two songs were performed: Cabaret from “Cabaret”, and Almost like being in love from “Brigadon”. These songs were performed great, and were a wonderful introduction to the musical. Following these songs was a combination of three songs, “Smoke gets in your eyes, they didn’t believe me, then to All the things you are”. These songs had a slow tempo, and at some points the tempos were sped up.
   Throughout this musical, there were many songs that did not catch my attention as much as others. My favorite performances were Beauty and the Beast, Circle of Life, and Phantom of the Opera. Beauty and the Beast is a classic and one of my favorite movies of all time, and to see it on Broadway was wonderful. This song was written by A. Menken and lyrics by H. Ashman and T. Rice. This music is very upbeat but also has its slow tempo changes. Another song I enjoyed was The Circle of Life by Elton John. This song is a bit different from the others. It is a much slower song with greater feeling and emotion. I felt as if I was actually watching the Lion King. And finally, the last song I enjoyed has to be the Phantom of the Opera. Although I’ve never really been a huge fan of opera, Blatt’s voice was used amazingly for this song. His vocals and pitches were incredible. Phantom of the Opera was a very slow and dark song. I was really into it. Overall, I believe this was a great show and I am glad I attended it.  Grin
C@milo1527
Master Musician (20 points)

Rockin'

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2009, 08:28:50 pm »

On October 22 I attended “Broadway in Review” with the hopes of enjoying a wonderful show. I was greatly mistaken.  As a Broadway fan, I knew almost every song on the program(with some few exceptions) and I must say as soon I saw some of the songs, I knew I was in for a crazy ride. When I realized that Ken Blatt would be singing every song I was shocked at the selections he made. Although the variety of songs would appear to keep the show moving quickly, it did everything but that. 
Let me take a moment to say that Ken Blatt can sing very well. He has a wonderful baritone voice and was very consistent with his technique. But, in his consistency he showed little variety in his voice, which is why I believe the show turned out the way it did. His voice sounded the same in “Cabaret”(an up-tempo introduction piece)as it did in “Bring Him Home”( a somber life pleading ballad). Once again, it wasn’t that his voice was bad it was just the same for every song. When going to a concert, especially one full of different Broadway show tunes and ballads, you expect to be able to see the performer’s flexibility, which is one of the main things Blatt did not demonstrate.
Another one of my biggest complaints was the sound.  The accompanist, Sheila Barrish, could have stopped playing and it wouldn’t have made a difference, because you could barely hear her. And it’s a shame, because the few times she could be heard it was beautiful and you can definitely see in her body language that she has a true passion for the piano.  One of the most awkward moments in the performance was when Blatt performed with a CD accompaniment. The songs “Phantom of the Opera” “Dancing Queen” and “Circle of Life” with backup vocals on a CD made it very awkward and you could hear the giggling coming from all areas of the audience.
The lighting of the show was fantastic. It set the mood for every piece and was right on target with each song change.
I am a very harsh critic when it comes to Broadway musicals and anything that represents them which can explain my harsh critique.
But, I can conclude with this final comment. I admire Ken Blatt for getting up in such a small theatre and performing over ten songs all by himself, but most of all I admire him for what he set out to do. He set out to expose the students here at Miami Dade to a taste of Broadway and he did just that.
I look forward to seeing this concert improve and hopefully happen again next year, maybe even with student participants.

Cry I know what you mean. I too have been in a concert where some insruments and or voices could not be heard clearly. It's sad because it takes so much from the performance. They should always make sure that all instruments and voices go good together. You bring up a good point here.

It's not what you know, but what you can prove!
felisha9179
Composer (15 points)

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2009, 09:50:55 pm »

Well, i think that for Ken the theatre he was in has good acoustics for acting, but not for singing. If you go see a play in the studio theatre you hear perfectly, but the music just doesnt bounce off the walls quite the same way. I feel bad, but maybe next time if they  move the concert to Mcarthur hall or something it might be better.
andre7310
Novice

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2009, 07:52:44 am »

Today is October 22, and I just got back home from watching Kenneth Blatt, and Sheila Barish perform in the Studio Theater.  While I was sitting down, waiting for the show to start, I read the biography section about Kenneth Blatt that was printed on the musical program given to me as I walked in.  I was really impressed to see where he came from and the amount of experience he had in the business( He directed more than thirty productions in Florida, New York City, Michigan, and Kentucky. He graduated from FAU with a Master of Fine Arts Degree, and a Doctorate in Theatre from Michigan State University); but to be honest with you I wasn’t really impressed on his performance.  I felt like I was watching a completely different person than the one that I just read about on paper.  Don’t get me wrong there were maybe a couple songs that he nailed, but during the majority of the show, I just felt like walking out.

Even though it was not up to my expectations, it was still an experience for me.  It was the first time that I have ever been to a Broadway show.  I have always seen actors in movies perform and sing with that signature Broadway voice, but to hear it in person twenty feet away from you is a totally different ball game.  And its not that he has a bad voice, because I personally thought that his voice was fairly good, I believe that he just picked the wrong songs to perform.  Songs that do not work for the type of voice he delivers.  For example, during his second medley, when he reached Dancing Queen, he completely killed it.  I understand that he wanted to be funny and make people laugh, because I sure did, but that song just doesn’t work with his voice.  Throughout the entire song, he struggled in trying to hit the high notes. He should have picked a different song.

Now let me get away from the bad critique and mention what I liked the most about the show. My favorite song performed by him was On the Street Where You Live, from “My Fair Lady”.  And may I add in that Sheila Barish did an outstanding job in this piece on the piano.  It was without a doubt, both of their best performances as a duet.  I am not a piano player, so I don’t have any professional input on it, but for the most part, as soon as Sheila started playing she had my complete attention.  Every note was so smooth and was executed with perfection.  And I could say the same for Ken.  This was the song, that he received the most and loudest applause of the night.  He truly showed off the signature Broadway voice that I was waiting to hear from him.  And I give him complete respect for performing all of those songs in one night, alone (vocally of course).  I am glad that I attended this concert. My regards to Ken and Sheila, and good luck with any more future performances down the road.
susana7954
Afficionado (5 points)

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2009, 08:26:32 am »

hello!!! I attended this concert as well and i have to say that i was expecting more team work. I'm not saying that they did not do a great job but in my opinion kenneth did more and better performance than shaila. but, still it was interesting.Smiley
Mario7855
Novice

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2009, 11:01:45 am »

Kenneth Blatt takes the concert by storm really, and really most of the show was in most contribution to Blatt. I honestly didn’t think this concert was a one man show, but the concert just kind of felt that way for most people, and me. Don’t get me wrong, the singer and pianist Sheila Barish, left her mark when she played the songs, but the mark didn’t really put the statement for broadway.  This is a broadway concert, and it was a broadway concert, despite not being able to hear Sheila very well on piano, but Blatt was really good, well, his voice; The adaptation from Blatt for these songs didn’t blow me away at all, I was overall not amused.
Starting off with a pleasant introduction, Ken and Sheila shoot you off with “Cabaret”. This song is mainly where Ken Blatt demonstrates and utilizes his loud, gripping voice, and Sheila was hitting it up pretty good in the back. The song was very well done, as the song was very upbeat, very light hearted, excellent choice by the musicians. Although, we, the audience, suddenly all felt at the opening song that this was as good as the concert was going to get. I mean, it was only ken and sheila, so yeah, the concert felt corny almost, as there was no other instruments used, which made the broadway very bleak throughout the song, and unfortunately thoroughout the concert.  “Almost Like Being In love” shoots off now, Ken and Sheila still doing their thing, it was pretty good, watchable at most, just like a sightseeing on Italy. Apparently, right after this song, or as I remember on “Beauty and the Beast” they put an amplifyer, or whatever it’s called, and wass used for the whole aroma-sound in the back because no other instruments were used, thus making the entire song completely corny! This corniness was led to “I Got Rhythm” which the whole crowd was just awed. Ken Blatt steals the concert here as Sheila didn’t contribute to this song whatsoever, the song overall was awkward, weird, and just wrongfully shown, but Blatt keeps his same tone here, and this makes the song repetoyive as well. “No Business Like Show Business” immediately stated that the concert was going to stay this corny, even though Sheila made contributions later in other songs of the cocnert, the pianist unfortunately could still not be well heard over Ken Blatt, it was that unfortunate. Medley’s like “Phantom of the Opera” were absolutely horrible, and “Dancing Queen” was not a good sight, period. The medley’s overall were the most unenjoyable part of this concert, as they were very weak songs for Blatt, almost like it was a comedy show, even almost unbearable to watch, Blatt just wasn’t intriguing anymore, the voice didn’t go well with the medley’s either, this was just a bad experience.My final thoughts on this concert, not well done. The concert started kind of interesting, but before mid-time, the whole experience just went awful, but I didn’t regret going here at all.
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: