The Student Lounge
December 09, 2019, 03:27:54 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Students must register by using their first name as it appears on their schedule, followed by the last 4 numbers of their student ID.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Broadway in Review 10/22  (Read 15179 times)
Brian C. Wuttke
Administrator
Musical Legend

View Profile WWW
« on: August 21, 2009, 04:25:01 am »

Broadway in Review
Ken Blatt and Sheila Barrish, soloists
Thursday, October 22nd, 7:30 pm
« Last Edit: August 21, 2009, 04:29:02 am by Brian C. Wuttke » Logged

I taught it, but did they learn?
ethan0099
Novice

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2009, 01:33:41 pm »

Let me start by saying it takes some major nerves to do what Ken Blatt did at the "Broadway In Review" performance on October 22. It was basically a one man show, although there was Sheila Barish playing the piano, the entire hour and a half performance consisted of Blatt singing a multoyude of famous broadway tunes. At first I thaught I might have picked the most boring concert to go to for this assignment but to be honest I did find the whole thing rather amusing, although Blatt'ss vocals werent breath taking and Sheila's piano could hardly be heard over them, something about the performance was deffinately amusing.

Im not really sure how to review this sort of concert using terms we have learned in Music Appreciation but I'm gonna try. The majority of the songs were either fast tempo, quirky show tunes like "No Business Like Show Business" or very slow tempo, somber tunes like "Bring Him Home". Nearly every single song seemed to be duple meter save the two songs from Man of La Mancha which were triple and had a certain spanish flavor to them. Blatts voice was rightly described to be a baritone and sounded to me like any typical broadway voice, a little over dramatic at times, with every song ending in that one held high pitched note that just seems to linger even after the song is over. His pitch was pretty good, although you could sometimes tell when he struggled to hit those high notes. The dynamics were also pretty good, basically what youd expect from broadway singing in that it all seems to be the same dramatic forte throughout except for those slower songs inwich the singer will often drop to a very soft, almost whispering, pianissimo to further emphasize his or her sadness.

I wish the piano could have been heard more over Blatts singing because from what I could here of it it seemed to be pretty good. All though this critique seems to be a bit critical of Blatt and the whole show I dont think it was a bad show at all. For people that really like broadway music or shows I'm sure this performance was a nice treat. It did after all do what it advertised which was to recap famous broadway tunes. However I really dont like Broadway shows or songs from Broadway shows so I didnt really find myself drawn into the performance that much. I guess I was just amused with Blatt himself who I just thaught was funny.

whats up with stuff?
Juian0385
Novice

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2009, 09:48:53 pm »

On October 22, 2009 at 7:30 p.m I attended the Miami Dade College Broadway in Review musical concert. All the songs in the concert were performed by Ken Blatt, baritone, and Sheila Barish, piano soloist. This one man show was a wonderful performance but had a few flukes here and there.

The first song was a superb introduction as it seemed as a welcoming introduction for a wonderful night to come. In Almost Like Being in Love it was as if floating feeling of beauty and love arbitrated the room. Just in Time was not a favorite but did have a spectacular ending. No Business like Show Business is a vibrant song but a little against my taste for some odd reason. One that would bring a tear to ones eye is Younger than Springtime, to think some poor schmuck’s heart is pouring out right now. By F. Loewe and lyrics by A. J. Lerner, On the Street Where You Live is for lovebirds and romantics that will work for a first date, keep that in mind gentlemen.

Half way into this concert there was a medley which a series of 3 songs put together to tell a story. Here they used Smoke Gets in Your Eyes, They Didn’t Believe Me, and All the Things You Are, all by J. Kern. This was one part of the whole concert I believe made it life-less. In general, was just ill for me. The next duple is from Man of La Mancha by Mitch Leigh and lyrics by Joe Darion. Did not like this for it was a quick beat for my taste along with a quick change of moods in the songs. When Ken went into the rock and roll part of the play, it was a little distained most and myself. I do believe it had to do with the tone and way he sang it for it was to Broadway for rock and roll. With such works as Phantom of the Opera plus Dancing Queen, grown men should not sing these types of songs. Note to all, rock and roll does not belong in Broadway.

Well the ending of the play was just to die for. After the rock and roll passage, they started with Bring Him Home which for me sounded like a prayer. One of the following songs was What I did for Love which shows how everyone has regrets before they die which is a dance we all have to face. The final song was a masterpiece finishing, Give My Regards to Broadway is great to say good bye to something that gave you life and passion which is something that was inspired by me that night. Something that somewhat ticked me off was Ken skipped a song called Some People, makes you wonder what that song must be like. Other than the few flukes, it was appealing to my ears. 
Juliana9107
Novice

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2009, 04:00:28 pm »

I attended the Broadway in Review concert on Thursday, October 22, 2009. The concert was based on the famous songs derived from some of the most popular and influential plays featured on Broadway. The concert was performed by Ken Blatt as the baritone and Sheila Barish as the piano soloist. Ken Blatt is a talented actor, director, teacher and concert singer. Sheila Barish is a devoted singer and piano soloist. She is currently a full time musician and teacher.

The concert began with a wonderful introduction of two songs: Cabaret from “Cabaret” and Almost Like Being in Love from “Brigadon”. Ken Blatt came one strong, full of excitement and Sheila Barish really captured the audience with her talent on the piano. In my opinion, the first few songs were some of the most popular featuring Beauty and the Beast, I Got Rhythm, and No Business like Show Business. Beauty and the Beast was felt by the audience with a sigh of nostalgia. As the tone of the song was slow and romantic, so was the mood of the audience throughout the performance.

My favorite part was the first medley. This was my first medley and I thoroughly enjoyed this one. The first song was Smoke Gets in Your Eyes from “Roberta”.  Smiley Kiss Cheesy  The tempo was slow and the piano modulated between low keys  to higher ones. The song slowly transitioned into They Didn’t Believe Me from “The Girl From Utah” and then to All the Things You Are from “Very Warm for May”. The piano was featured the most throughout this medley and the use of scales, chromaticism, and modulation was most evident. The six songs the followed were not my favorite. Songs from “Man of La Mancha” had quick beats but did not capture me. Little emotion was transmitted by Ken Blatt as a singer. At this point of the concert he had fully delivered his audience with a great voice and wonderfully held out notes (his pitch range was much wider than expected). However, this portion of the concert turned sour for me. The next medley was a transition towards a newer Broadway; A Broadway the incorporates a style of rock music. Although I appreciated the variety I did not agree that this was Ken Blatt’s forte. The last songs  really evoked emotion and reminded me of the lecture that was given on “The Affections”.  Overall the concert was enjoyable and I would like to attend another concert with Ken Blatt and Sheila Barish.
felisha9179
Composer (15 points)

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2009, 06:50:04 pm »

On October 22 I attended “Broadway in Review” with the hopes of enjoying a wonderful show. I was greatly mistaken.  As a Broadway fan, I knew almost every song on the program(with some few exceptions) and I must say as soon I saw some of the songs, I knew I was in for a crazy ride. When I realized that Ken Blatt would be singing every song I was shocked at the selections he made. Although the variety of songs would appear to keep the show moving quickly, it did everything but that. 
Let me take a moment to say that Ken Blatt can sing very well. He has a wonderful baritone voice and was very consistent with his technique. But, in his consistency he showed little variety in his voice, which is why I believe the show turned out the way it did. His voice sounded the same in “Cabaret”(an up-tempo introduction piece)as it did in “Bring Him Home”( a somber life pleading ballad). Once again, it wasn’t that his voice was bad it was just the same for every song. When going to a concert, especially one full of different Broadway show tunes and ballads, you expect to be able to see the performer’s flexibility, which is one of the main things Blatt did not demonstrate.
Another one of my biggest complaints was the sound.  The accompanist, Sheila Barrish, could have stopped playing and it wouldn’t have made a difference, because you could barely hear her. And it’s a shame, because the few times she could be heard it was beautiful and you can definitely see in her body language that she has a true passion for the piano.  One of the most awkward moments in the performance was when Blatt performed with a CD accompaniment. The songs “Phantom of the Opera” “Dancing Queen” and “Circle of Life” with backup vocals on a CD made it very awkward and you could hear the giggling coming from all areas of the audience.
The lighting of the show was fantastic. It set the mood for every piece and was right on target with each song change.
I am a very harsh critic when it comes to Broadway musicals and anything that represents them which can explain my harsh critique.
But, I can conclude with this final comment. I admire Ken Blatt for getting up in such a small theatre and performing over ten songs all by himself, but most of all I admire him for what he set out to do. He set out to expose the students here at Miami Dade to a taste of Broadway and he did just that.
I look forward to seeing this concert improve and hopefully happen again next year, maybe even with student participants.
Isai7818
Novice

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2009, 08:27:53 pm »

It was a Thursday night, October 22, 2009, and I was stuck sitting on a school bench waiting for my friend Ariamna to get there so we could finally enter the M building and situate ourselves inside The Studio Theater (Room M113) where the concert "Broadway in Review" was being held. I really needed a friend to accompany me because the word Broadway isnt quite my cup of tea, and I was not about to sit there without someone to hold on to if the world came to an end for an hour and a half. To my surprise, the experience was far from a nightmare although it did have a few dissappointments.

As we patiently waited for the show to start, I took out my notebook to write down every thing that happened in full detail. I was astonished at how many people actually came to see the event, but their faces all seemed to have the same expression of "I just got here, but when will it end?!". Anyway, the anouncer finally came out and introduced our stars of the night; Ken Blatt, Baritone, and Sheila Barish, Piano Soloist.

Blatt began by giving us a short speech about what he was going to sing. (I was getting a tad bit annoyed because the moron sitting behind me would not stop playing air hockey on his iphone with his friend. No respect!) And so it began. I just want to say that Ken has an amazing set of lungs. His deep, Baritone voice is like the epitome of a Broadway voice. It was charming and seemed to have caught the attention of the whole crowd. (I know this because buddy stopped playing air hockey.) Now, I dont really know much about singing, but I know when someone's pitch is on point. At first Blatt was doing great, but there were some songs where I really didnt want him hitting high notes. (i.e "Dancing Queen." In my opinion, this was not a good song for Ken). Not to mention the speaker on the left side of the stage was having static problems which only made his pitch sound even more worse. Another thing that gave me the urge to just take out my ipod and ignore the show was the fact that you could barely hear the piano over Blatt's voice. Thankfully some of the music for specific songs was played from actual soundtracks. (Ken would turn on a device that was sitting on a stand and switched the songs from there.)  These woke me up a bit, songs like "Man La Mancha" and "The Impossible Dream". The tempo varied from song to song some were in duple and others were in triple. Some dynamics were forte, mezzo piano, even pianissimo for the really slow songs. Blatts swagger would match every song. He'd be extra happy for fast songs and marched his way up and down the stage, and for slow songs he'd just stand there and made hand gestures with a depressed look on his face. He really needs to improve his dance moves because it got boring after a while. (I could'nt stop laughing to myself though because my mom would'nt stop calling me during the "Bring Him Home" song. What a coincidence eh?)

I believe Blatt did a fairly good job. At one point he had stumled over a stool that was on the stage (this was during "No Business Like Show Business". Quite hilarious if you ask me.), but it didnt hinder his performance, and he had also forgotten the lyrics to "Man La Mancha." (This made me wonder if he, at any time during the show, just made up his own lyrics for some songs. It was indeed a great number of songs to remember. I would'nt blame him.) During the "Everythings Coming Up Roses" song (very lively song by the way. One of my favorites along with "What Kind of Fool Am I".) I had noticed two elderly women sitting in the front row who were singing along. I watched them for a while after that, and they knew the lyrics to every song! It actually made me realize how people appreciated this type of music back in the day. If it weren't for those women I don't think I would have evaluated the night in a more positive way. Blatt ended the show with a little bit of humor and "Give My Regards To Broadway." Everyone joined in by clapping to the beat, and that was it. I wish I would have went up to him like some people did to shake his hand and tell him "your suit is fresh!" Cheesy
nattalie7035
Novice

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2009, 05:33:33 pm »

On Thursday October 22, 2009 I attended the Broadway in Review concert at Miami Dade. It started off with Sheila Barish, a piano soloist, playing the tune Cabaret from the musical “Cabaret”. Ken Blatt, Baritone, then came out singing the words to the tune. I have known this song since when I was younger so I enjoyed hearing it. Mr. Blatt was very entertaining during this number. His voice matched perfectly with the way I felt it should be sung. He has a very “Broadway” type voice in my opinion, so to me it really matched with this one song. The next number was, Almost like being in love from the Broadway musical, Brigadoon. I had never really heard this song so I wasn’t sure what to expect but I did think he did a great job in singing it. Sheila really impressed me in this one. I think since I didn’t really know the song I was paying more attention to her playing than to Ken’s singing. This song was much softer than Cabaret. Cabaret was much more upbeat. Sheila also impressed me during the Cabaret tune because she was able to keep up with Ken’s singing so perfectly. She never missed a single note and she seemed like she was having a lot of fun while playing it as well. How ever since I paid more attention to her playing during, Almost like being in love, I believe she played much better in this one. I have always wanted to learn how to play the piano, so Sheila was very impressive in my opinion because I really admire pianists. Throughout the whole beginning of the show I was really anticipating the number from “Beauty and the Beast”. However, I was a little disappointed during the song because I didn’t feel his tone of voice really matched with the mood of the song. I felt his voice was too much “Broadway” for this song. Of course, I was comparing him to how I’ve heard this song sung before like in the Disney movie itself, so in my opinion his voice really didn’t compliment the song well. I felt his voice should have either been lower and softer to sing this song or he just should not have sang it at all because I didn’t feel he did it any justice. Once again I felt that Sheila did an amazing song. Since I was really anticipating this song and Ken disappointed me a little, I was once again paying more attention to Sheila’s playing the piano than to his singing. Throughout the rest of the show I felt Ken has a wonderful voice that fits most of the songs. I also felt that Sheila is a very talented and wonderful pianist.  Grin
Fernando6880
Novice

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2009, 03:46:08 pm »

On Thursday, October 22, 2009 I attended the Broadway in Review concert. Although it was not anything how I expected it to be, I thought it was very entertaining. A man first appeared on stage to introduce the performers. The star of the show was Kenneth Stuart Blatt and to accompany him on the piano in most of the songs was Sheila Barish. In some songs, Ken had a track playing in the background because it included other instruments. I would have much rather seen the whole band perform live instead of a track, I thought it was a little cheap. Having performed as an actor, director, teacher, and concert singer, Ken Blatt has been in show business for a while. He has mostly performed up and down the Northeast in places such as New York City, Florida, Michigan, and Kentucky. As an experienced show person, he made sure this concert was enjoyable to all of us.
   Without addressing the crowd, he opened up with “Cabaret”. I liked that he did that, it showed he meant business. Most of the songs were Allegro and very vivid. There was a lot of diversity though. Songs like “Almost Like Being In Love” make you reminisce about your past relationships but then you hear a song like “I Got Rhythm” and it lifts your spirits and just makes you want to dance! When I heard “No Business Like Show Business”, it really made me envision what Broadway was like when it was in its prime, when show business was actually pure and it was not all about the money. As the show went on, Ken started getting more comfortable and throwing in a few dance moves which I thought it was a little comical, but cool nonetheless.
The abilities of Ken as a singer were pretty good. It is fair to say that they were not to die for, but seeing as he has other talents, he gained a lot of respect from the audience. I noticed many people left during “The Circle Of Life”, and so did Ken as he made a joke about it after the song, it showed his showmanship. He kept going with the show and did not let that bother him.
Overall, I enjoyed the show very much. I have gained an interest in the Broadway scene and hope to go when I visit New York City one day.
Eric6507
Novice

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2009, 08:24:52 am »

I attended the Broadway in Review concert on Thursday, October 22, 2009 at 7:30 P.M.  This concert was performed by Ken Blatt and Piano Soloist Shela Barish. Ken performed all of the most popular Broadway music. The 1920’s through to the 1950’s was the peak of Broadway music.  I think it is extremely hard to do what Ken and Shelia did. The entire audience was just focused on them and nothing else for approximately an hour and a half. Although the pitch in Ken’s voice was off on some of the notes, I think he did a good job in the Broadway Review. The piano soloist was hit all of her notes and did a great job during the entire concert. I believe it is very difficult to play the piano consistently for a hour and a half straight. I give her all the credit she deserves for being able to keep on on every note and every key that she hit.
   The opening song by Ken was Cabaret from “Cabaret”-music by J. Kander, I did not care for this song much and thought that the ending was bad. I believe that they should have started the concert with a more popular song that maybe the crowd knew. There was a lot of static in his microphone when he was singing this song.  The next two songs I enjoyed, almost like being in love for “Brigadoon” was a lot better. He picked up the tempo and sang this song with much more excitement and passion that the first song.  Just in Time from “Bells are ringing” was a song that I enjoyed hearing. It was very upbeat and ken sang this song with great harmony.  The next song was one that I recognized immediately when it began. Beauty and the beast from “Beauty and the Beast”. I remember this song from my childhood watching the movie over and over again. This was my best song in my opinion because most of the crowd reacted when ken began to sing it and clapped after he was done. The song that I disliked the most was the Phantom of the opera song. I am really not into opera music that much so I did not enjoy it. I like the way that Ken ended the program, his voice must have been tired but he ended with tone, pitch, and a great melody in Give my regards to Broadway from “Little Johnny Jones”. Ken and piano soloist put together a overall good and entertaining concert in Broadway in Review .  Grin

Maria8244
Novice

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2009, 02:44:43 pm »

On October 22, 2009, at 7:30 I attended the Miami Dade College Broadway in Review. The performers were Ken Blatt who is the Baritone and Sheila Barish, the Piano Soloist. I believe they both did a great job the fact that I love to sing which I really can’t and the fact that I enjoy playing piano, which was my favorite part throughout the performance. Ken Blatt had a little nervousness in his eyes, from what I can tell but he started the recital very well with the song cabaret. This was an introduction to welcome the audience to the recital and to have a great time. I surely had a great time enjoying the songs from the 1920’s through the 1950’s. The song that really gave me chills was when he started to sing "beauty and the beast" and "the phantom of the opera".  Grin Grin Of course because I love the movie beauty and the beast and the movie phantom of the opera but he sang both those songs really well. Ken Blatt had it going in the beginning but with other songs as in the dancing queen,  what I did for love and the circle of life, you can really tell he was going to have a little bit of off tune notes. Ken Blatt does not really have such a good voice to sing, to be honest, maybe when he was younger. But like I said there were few songs he sand pretty good and other that he just couldn’t hold the high pitch. For the ending of the performance he sang “Give my regards to Broadway” which I found it a great song for closing, the fact that he was singing the top great songs from Broadway. This whole performance lasted for an hour and 30 minutes. I think, in my opinion he should just stay as an instructor than a singer.

Now for Sheila barish, she played the most beautiful instrument throughout the performance. My favorite, the piano! I enjoy playing the piano. There were probably five songs that she did not play because ken Blatt used a CD for the songs. I was more entertained by her playing the piano then seeing Ken Blatt sing. The way she moves her hand softly and not missing a note. And I was amazed how she could flip the pages of the notes while still playing the piano. I mean I could do that too, but not so professional. Through the whole performance I think it went well, a couple of bad and good pitches but I give ken Blatt and Sheila Barish credit for being up on stage a performing.
Cynthia1646
Novice

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2009, 05:57:33 pm »

Ken Blatt as the Baritone and Sheila Barish as the piano soloist were the stars of the night on Thursday, October 22, 2009.
   I personally have never really witnessed Broadway in person. So I thought to myself, hey this cant be that bad. Along with two of my classmates we attended “Broadway in Review”.
   We enter the theatre hoping for it to be something quite interesting and good. But it was certainly the complete opposite. Ken Blatt, I don’t think is a bad singer but in my personal opinion I don’t think he should have done Broadway in Review.
   As for Sheila Barish, well her piano playing was much better then the singing. I believe she is an amazing piano player.
   Ken Blatt started off singing along with Sheila’s piano playing, which at first was somewhat slow and romantic. Later on toward the middle he started singing along with a CD. And that really didn’t help the situation. It just made matters worse. He continued his singing at the same tone until he reached I would say “Man of la Mancha” followed by the Phantom of the Opera as well as Jersey Boys and dancing queen. Once we reached those songs I felt as if the sound of the music kept increasing along with the singing of Mr. Blatt. So the tone of the music was no longer slow and romantic. At this time it became just loud and somewhat annoying.
   I was starting to feel like the hour and a half show was going to last forever! I couldn’t believe what I was seeing and hearing.
   As for my first experience going to a Broadway concert and my first concert for school in general, I definitely did not enjoy it.
   I think that if Sheila Barish had played more the concert would have been more enjoyable. Do to the fact that most of the concert we were listening to Mr. Blatt sing along with the CD player it did not make the concert any better.
   To conclude my first concert experience it was not that enjoyable. I think that if Sheila would have played most of the time I would have been able to give somewhat of a good critique. But by what I heard and saw it was not all that great. I hope that if there is another Broadway in Review and if Sheila Barish is given the opportunity she can play the piano more so her talent can be showed off and heard.
ariamna0899
Novice

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2009, 08:09:07 pm »

On Thursday October 22, 2009, I attended "Broadway in review." A concert held at MDC. The concert didn’t start on time, but the presentation was done very well. The presenter was enthusiastic about the show. Ken Blatt was the baritone and Sheila Barish Piano soloist, I’d say they complemented each other; you could see it was well rehearsed. Sheila was on key and didn’t miss a note even when she had to change papers back and forth as she played. Ken had a good deep voice, good for Broadway. He used his vocal register well, and he had a good range. With each song, he'd demonstrate variety of up, middle and low ranges. Even though he forgot a few notes, he managed to joke about it after. Also, before each song, he’d give you a little history on the song which would include the person who composed it and the time when Broadway was at its biggest. He gave some background information on the composers and sang each song with love and passion that you were able to tell the passion he has for theatre. Ken started with the song Cabaret from “Cabaret” music by J. Kander and lyrics by F. Ebb. In my opinion, it was the best song to start the concert with because it’s a hip and energetic song all about the meaning of Broadway and the beginning of the Cabaret.
        To me, one of the songs that stood out the most was Beauty and the Beast from “Beauty and the Beast” music by A. Menken and lyrics by H. Ashman and T. Rice. It was my favorite Disney movie and the song is amazing. I think Ken did a wonderful job singing it. He really used his lower register and Sheila kept up on the piano.  Then, there was Man of La Mancha from “Man of La Mancha” music by Mitch Leigh and lyrics by Joe Darion, which is based on Don Quixote, which is where he forgot the lyrics, but he kept it together and kept going. Like they say in Broadway, "the show must go on." Most of the songs that were featured were for the older generation with the exception of a couple such as Phantom of the Opera, in which Ken displayed his upper register. I really enjoyed the show I knew almost all the songs that were in the program. The piano was played really well by Sheila and Ken was a very good Baritone, though I would suggest that they check their equipment because when Ken would sing some songs, there was static that you’d hear in the background. The end of the night was closed by Give my regards to Broadway from “Little Johnny Jones” music and lyrics by G.M. Cohan and what better way to close than saying goodbye to Broadway. He ended up skipping the song Some People from “Gypsy” music by Jule Styne and lyrics by S. Sondheim, which is a pity because it’s a great song, but he did it to try and end the show on time. Overall it was a good experience. I thought it was going to be really bad but I was pleasantly surprised.

Smiley
« Last Edit: November 01, 2009, 08:11:19 pm by ariamna0899 » Logged
Miguel8815
Novice

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2009, 08:50:14 pm »

On Thursday, October 22, 2009 I attended the Broadway in Review concert. On my first paragraph is going to be introducing the concert. This musical concert was a very small concert and it was all about Broadway! 23 Musical pieces was sung by Ken Blatt and Sheila Barish which played the piano. Ken Blatt had a very deep voice also known as “Baritone” voice. Some pieces I did not like because it wasn’t on beat but most of the pieces I enjoyed. Sheila Barish the piano soloist was very smooth going up and down the piano. As I heard her playing I didn’t noticed any mistakes also in my words known as a perfectionist. In my critique am only going to choose the musical pieces I enjoyed the most and write a brief summary about the pieces.

First piece that I enjoyed was the Original piece called Beauty and the Beast. Music by A. Menken and lyrics by H.Ashman & T. Rice. Beauty and the Beast was also a Walt Disney movie that was created in 1991. There were about 5464 performances between 1994- 2007. The musical has grossed more than $1.4 billion worldwide and played in thirteen countries and 115 cities. It has also become a very popular choice for high school productions still this day. I really liked this piece and honestly brought me to a flashback of my childhood. The music its self has crescendos all over the piece I remember when I was in South Miami middle school I played this song in the band. And if I could remember clearly there was many fermatas and the time signature changed a couple times during the piece.
Second piece that I enjoyed was Phantom of the Opera. Music by A.L Webber & lyrics by C. Hart and R.Stilqoe. Phantom of the Opera was based on a French novel by Gaston Leroux. According the Phantom of the Opera website it is the most successful entertainment project in history. It is now the longest-running musical in history

Third Piece of musical Broadway that I enjoyed the most out of all the pieces was The Circle of Life. Music by Elton john & lyrics by T. Rice. I actually saw this Broadway in Chicago about 3 years ago and I still have pictures and the actual tickets of the Broadway show. I loved the show and I really enjoyed the piece when Ken Blatt sung it. Like I said before it brought back memories.
laura7187
Novice

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2009, 07:28:51 am »

On Thursday October 22, I attended the "Broadway in Review" concert. Ken Blatt wasz the Baritone and Sheila Barish was the piano soloist. They did a number of songs together and overall the concert was good. The songs I remember the most are the songs I am familiar with, such as; "The Circle of Life", "Dancing Queen", "Mamma Mia", "Beauty and the Beast", and "Phantom of the Opera". Let me just say I like broadway musicals and I was excited to see this concert. Ken and Sheila did an amazing job together although not every song was performed as well as I hoped it would be.

For example in "Beauty and the Beast" Ken could have sung the song in a better tone. I didnt feel as if I were hearing the song I heard all the times I have watched "Beauty and the Beast". The tempo for this song is supposed to be slow and soft. I didn't feel that he accomplished that. His tone of voice for this song was too harsh for my taste. As far as Sheila on the piano, she did a good job performing this song. Her notes were on point and you could tell she put emotion into it and felt the song as she was playing it instead of just reading from a paper.

For the song "Circle of Life", I enjoyed it very much. The lion king is one of my favorite movies and i was pleased that they did a great job in performing this song. Ken's voice was a perfect match for the melody and Sheila once again did a perfect job keeping up with the tempo and drastic changes in the rythm. This turned out to be my favorite performance of the night.

In the song "Mamma Mia", this is a really upbeat type of song and they it wasnt such a great performance on Ken's part. As noted in one of the above posts, I agree that he didnt really change his tone of voice to adjust with the different types of songs played. therefore the show wasn't a complete disaster but it could have been a little better if he had either adjusted his voice to the medleys or picked a variety of songs that all sound alike. But back to "Mamma Mia" I felt that the piano should have been played a little stronger by Sheila and Ken definately could have showed more emotion seeing as this song is a popular one.

And last but not least in "Phantom of the Opera" Ken's voice fit well with the tempo and deepness of this song. The song is supposed to portray a dark and dangerous type of aspect and I feel both Ken and Sheila accomplished this. The beggining of the song started out a little slow but at the climax they hit every note and at the end I was pleased.

Overall this show wasn't as good as I had hoped it would be but then again it wasn't a professional broadway show so I can't really expect it to be. (:
Marydelsi0513
Novice

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2009, 05:58:15 pm »

Hello,
I feel the same way as some of the people here,  the concert was very nice but I was expecting more. Ken has a great voice and he really worked some of the broadway songs nice.
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: