The Student Lounge
September 20, 2019, 03:22:41 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Each listening critique must contain a minimum of 300 words to receive credit.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: MDC Small Jazz Ensembles 11/17  (Read 11328 times)
Brian C. Wuttke
Administrator
Musical Legend

View Profile WWW
« on: August 21, 2009, 04:16:43 am »

MDC Small Jazz Ensembles
Matthew Bonelli, Coordinator
Tuesday, November 17th, 7:30 pm

I taught it, but did they learn?
Stacey4073
Novice

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2009, 08:30:37 pm »

I attended the On Stage Concert on November 17, 2009. This concert consisted of three separate musical performing groups. It featured the Salsa Ensemble, followed by the Community Jazz Ensemble, and concluded with the Studio Jazz Band. The first song was entitled “Shining Stockings” it included several solos from the brass, rhythm, and percussion sections. The trumpet solo played by Omar Peralta stood out the most to me because it was very lively and broke out from the consistent melody. I enjoyed the piece because it was fun, loud, and made me want to dance. The second was called “Pent Up House” and this one too was animated and upbeat. In this song I particularly was impressed by the rhythm section specifically by Camilo Velandia who was on the guitar and Camilo Perez the pianist. The pianist was playing very rapidly; it looked very difficult.  The last song by the Salsa Ensemble was named “Manteca”, in this song I took interest in the lady Daysi Almirall who played the vibes. It seemed hard I never knew how difficult the vibes were but after seeing her play I gained a whole new appreciation for them. She played the octave notes impressively fast and it flowed perfectly.
The next groups of performers were the Community Jazz Ensemble, first song was called “My Secret Love” I noticed that they used several musical tools in most of their songs some of them used mutes for the brass instruments and on the guitar they used a distortion kill switch pedal. It had responsive drumming and complex melodic and harmonic content which is typical in jazz songs. In the second song “You’d be so nice to come home to” my favorite part in the entire song was the vocalist Jordan Brown had such a nice jazz voice, it was soothing and romantic, perfect for that type of song. The last song I heard this night was titled “Caravan” which was also up beat and exciting. My favorite part of this piece was the solo by the percussion section by the sound of it, it was intricate and lengthy. The speed they had with their hands was amazing. Overall I enjoyed the concert because you can tell all the musicians were happy to be performing. Experiencing the passion they portrayed while playing truly made me like what I was hearing and I would definitely like to attend another concert here at Miami Dade. Smiley
santiago5075
Novice

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2009, 09:00:41 pm »

I attended the Miami Dade College, On Stage on Tuesday, November 17, 2009. The show was divided in three with three different groups performing. Salsa ensemble conducted by Rafael Valencia, the first song called Shining Stocking was very like Caribbean Salsa has lots of salsa rhythms like the percussion and piano in my perspective. Also I see different instruments playing some times at the same time like a big band; the third song was melancholic it has slow tempo but it was very relaxing to listen to it because it has like a beach atmosphere the song was called Drume Negritaon. The fourth song call Corner Pocket has a jazz technique called call and response and it was at the climax of the song when the pianist interacts with the band. The band was composed by three trumpets, two trombones, tow Saxes but I only saw one, and the rhythm section was composed by a piano, guitar and bass and also the had a really good percussion that was integrated by the vibes, timbales and congas that was one my favorite instrument because it has a Latin tone. The other two part of the entire concert, Community Jazz Ensemble and Studio Jazz Band was excellent executed it was very created the music that they play the use Bongos that give a strong vibe to the band also it a bid band the rhythm section has more instruments like drums and they added two guitars. I like Caravan composed by Duke Ellington it was very fast track. And the last band Studio Jazz Band was very interesting to hear because it provides me with many ideas to create music. Overall this concert was excellent experience it was my first jazz concert and I really enjoy.
jonathan3570
Novice

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2009, 11:43:52 pm »

I attended the on stage concert on Nov.17/09 this concert had three performances, the first performance salsa ensemble was the most exiting of all the performances specialy the trumpets and the saxes were the most passioned for my taste.overall the salsa ensemble gave a great show  The second performance was the community jazz ensemble started out abit slow(piano) but that was just to get the audience attention because after that they gave a superb performance u enjoyed every single performer,but by far the one who stoled the show was the song "You`d be so nice to come home to" i don`t know what his mane was but that man can sing specialy when he sang acapelo(by himself no instruments) a great performance.  The third and final performance was the jazz studio band, it was a fitting close to the evening it sounded soft soothing and very relaxing.it made my day feel better knowing that not all the music today has to be volgar. The show it made me feel like I was back in Las Vegas,NV watching a show with profesionals,Overall I enjoyed the concert because you can tell all the musicians were happy to be performing.the only thing i did not like was the audience they were very disrepectful to the performes i think some of them should take the Music Appreciation class. Smiley
« Last Edit: December 01, 2009, 05:39:24 pm by jonathan3570 » Logged
jonathan 8996
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2009, 03:41:34 pm »

I attended the Miami Dade College, On Stage on Tuesday, November 17, 2009. The show was divided in three with three different groups performing. They were really good bands very professional performers the first band the salsa ensembles had a good sound, very organized band the style of how they played the instrument the type of beat was really fast and keep you very entertain, the song that made you see how jazz could go from been a slow song and then start fast was was manteca that song had a great way of playing   a type of fast salsa and danceable song. I would recommend this concert for people to go. I dint like the second song pent up house that song was to loud and the trumpet was the only instrument that you heard.  The second ban community jazz was really good and the song that I liked the most was my secret love   that was a really good and inspires song that makes you want to dance. Caravan I dint see it as a type of jazz song to listen to it was very simple and all the instrument weren’t played and  was to slow for me to like it as a jazz song   Studio jazz band I didn’t see very organized in the sense that I felt they were scare to play the instruments the song that help a lot almost at the end was modaji was a really good beat and the soloist Cori made the song go smooth and easy made it go very relaxing song that makes you start to enjoy how jazz is and how to start to like it and the importance of how every instrument sounds and how  you see how is music is made by very different type of instruments  he is  very talent person  the last song scrapple from the apple It was a very interesting song because it makes you see how a little beat come out and become music. I had fun in the concert it was very unique having three different bands play. If they would it to put the bands together and performed at the same time with the same beat and same song it would be really easy to see how the different of style of playing were to use.  It makes you see how that time and effort and the way of jazz is played. Grin
jonathan 8996
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2009, 04:11:10 pm »

I attended the on stage concert on Nov.17/09 this concert had three performances, the first performance salsa ensemble was the most exiting of all the performances specialy the trumpets and the saxes were the most passioned for my taste.overall the salsa ensemble gave a great show  The second performance was the community jazz ensemble started out abit slow(piano) but that was just to get the audience attention because after that they gave a superb performance u enjoyed every single performer,but by far the one who stoled the show was the song "You`d be so nice to come home to" i don`t know what his mane was but that man can sing specialy when he sang acaprlo(by himself no instruments) a great performance.  The third and final performance was the jazz studio band, it was a fitting close to the evening it sounded soft soothing and very relaxing.it made my day feel better knowing that not all the music today has to be volgar.it made me feel like i was back in Las Vegas,NV watching a show with profesionals, the only thing i did not like were the alot of people leaving before the last performance started,i think some of them should take the Music Appreciation class.    
i  dont agree the performance was really good  the comunity jazz that was their style of playing and the get the audience attention like every bussines they have their own way of doing things  the last band was  really softh and great of playing
Luisa7064
Novice

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2009, 05:22:25 pm »

On November 17, 2009, I went to the Miami Dade Small Jazz Ensemble concert.  The show was divided into three different groups: Salsa Ensemble, Community Jazz Ensemble and Studio Jazz Band. The one that I like the most was the Salsa Ensemble group.  It was conducted by Rafael Valencia. This band was composed by 13 people; it was a big band.  The instruments used that nigth were: three trumpets, two trombones, two saxes, just one piano, guitar, bass, vibes, timbales. The band was very organized and started its performance on time. There were three song played by this band: Shining Stocking, Pent Up House, Drume Negrita, Corner Pocket and Manteca.  Shining Stocking was an amazing song; it took my attention making me want to dance. Its rhythm was very familiar, fast and loud. I enjoyed this song a lot because it was so animated; all the instruments were played together like a Dixieland style. I was not the only person that enjoyed this piece, as I could notice everyone who was in the concert like it. I could say this song was my favorite one. There is not doubt about ii. The Pent Up House song and Drume Negrita were nice too, the only thing is the their rhythms were slower than the others performances; however, Corner Pocket and Manteca were exiting. Their rhythms were almost the same: fast and loud. What make the difference between these two songs is that in Manteca the trombones played the main function and in Corner Pocket were the trumpets.  As a conclusion, this concert was a good experience that probably I will do again. I recommend every student from Miami Dade to go and also others who want to get some knowledge about music and art. As I said before it is an amazing experience, and the best part is that it is free.
Luisa7064
Novice

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2009, 05:31:41 pm »

I attended the on stage concert on Nov.17/09 this concert had three performances, the first performance salsa ensemble was the most exiting of all the performances specialy the trumpets and the saxes were the most passioned for my taste.overall the salsa ensemble gave a great show  The second performance was the community jazz ensemble started out abit slow(piano) but that was just to get the audience attention because after that they gave a superb performance u enjoyed every single performer,but by far the one who stoled the show was the song "You`d be so nice to come home to" i don`t know what his mane was but that man can sing specialy when he sang acaprlo(by himself no instruments) a great performance.  The third and final performance was the jazz studio band, it was a fitting close to the evening it sounded soft soothing and very relaxing.it made my day feel better knowing that not all the music today has to be volgar.it made me feel like i was back in Las Vegas,NV watching a show with profesionals, the only thing i did not like were the alot of people leaving before the last performance started,i think some of them should take the Music Appreciation class.    
i  dont agree the performance was really good  the comunity jazz that was their style of playing and the get the audience attention like every bussines they have their own way of doing things  the last band was  really softh and great of playing
I agree the Salsa Ensemple was the most amazing groupof the three, it made me want to dance, I felt like if i was in a club, jajajaja. did you see how this band took the attention of everyone who was there. Everybody was exiting.
jonathan 8996
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2009, 05:39:26 pm »

On November 17, 2009, I went to the Miami Dade Small Jazz Ensemble concert.  The show was divided into three different groups: Salsa Ensemble, Community Jazz Ensemble and Studio Jazz Band. The one that I like the most was the Salsa Ensemble group.  It was conducted by Rafael Valencia. This band was composed by 13 people; it was a big band.  The instruments used that nigth were: three trumpets, two trombones, two saxes, just one piano, guitar, bass, vibes, timbales. The band was very organized and started its performance on time. There were three song played by this band: Shining Stocking, Pent Up House, Drume Negrita, Corner Pocket and Manteca.  Shining Stocking was an amazing song; it took my attention making me want to dance. Its rhythm was very familiar, fast and loud. I enjoyed this song a lot because it was so animated; all the instruments were played together like a Dixieland style. I was not the only person that enjoyed this piece, as I could notice everyone who was in the concert like it. I could say this song was my favorite one. There is not doubt about ii. The Pent Up House song and Drume Negrita were nice too, the only thing is the their rhythms were slower than the others performances; however, Corner Pocket and Manteca were exiting. Their rhythms were almost the same: fast and loud. What make the difference between these two songs is that in Manteca the trombones played the main function and in Corner Pocket were the trumpets.  As a conclusion, this concert was a good experience that probably I will do again. I recommend every student from Miami Dade to go and also others who want to get some knowledge about music and art. As I said before it is an amazing experience, and the best part is that it is free.
i dont a gree with the song drume negrita it had the same beat and same rythm as the  manteca it was a copy version but different style they could it done it in a  different style.
carlo7978
Novice

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2009, 09:49:41 pm »

Yesterday after a long day, my last class of jazz and popular music was over and it was time to head over to the auditorium in building six. My girlfriend and I finally went in to sit down in the auditorium. The night started with the Salsa Ensemble. Then following their performance was the Community Jazz Ensemble and then to finish the program was the Studio Jazz Band. Out of the three performing groups, I enjoyed the Salsa Ensemble the most. The Salsa Ensemble's first song was called Shining Stockings. In this song the solos I liked started with Omar Peralta playing his trumpet. Right of the back as the first song in this ensemble's set list, Omar in my opinion did an excellent job improvising in his solo. You could feel him play the music with such an expression and great effort. Then the next solo I really appreciated was Camilo Velandia playing his guitar. He was very laid back and playing very good phrases as the accompanying rhythm section played along in the background. Pent Up House was the next song in the ensemble's play list. Yet again this was another song that was performed with great moments. However, what really stood out for me was the amazing job the vibe player, Daysi Celia Almirall, had done improvising in her solo. This was definitely my first experience watching a solo be done on the vibes. She had great rhythm that made me want to just get up and dance. Coming in third in the ensemble's play list was a song called, Drume Negrita. Following this song, called Corner Pocket, was another great song with a feature on vibes played by Daysi. Finally but not least, the last song played by the Salsa Ensemble was called Manteca. I enjoyed a lot the structure and sound this song was performed. For example in my opinion a great touch during the middle end of the song was the sudden pause of the entire ensemble. This completely caught me off guard and was a nice touch to the performance. In this song Manteca, I enjoyed watching the piano player, Camilo Perez, improvise. Watching his fingers playing the piano seemed very difficult and technical. The only way I can seem to describe watching him play is by saying his fingers appeared like how fast the wings of a hummingbird flap. Overall the show was great, and everyone did a fantastic job last night.     
ignacio0178
Novice

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2009, 09:18:16 pm »

Ignacio Fernandez
MUL 2380
My Critique

Last night I went to watch the Salsa Ensemble, Community Jazz Ensemble and Studio Jazz Band at McCarthy hall at Miami Dade College. Each ensemble and bad played in the order in which I put them. Overall I felt that the whole performance was a good presentation.
   The show started off with the Salsa Ensemble, and I felt it was the right choice. I like this ensemble as a group the best. My favorite song from the salsa ensemble was actually “shining stockings” .I like this song the best because it was actually the first song and the first time that we got to hear one of many amazing solos by the trumpet player Juan Davis. Every solo by this man stood out in every song they played .I also felt that it was great composing by the Bass Guitarist Rafael Valencia. Other solos that also stood out for me were the other trumpet player Emiliano Torres and the Guitarist Camilo Velandia.
   The next performance was by the Community Jazz Ensemble. My favorite song from this one was “You’d be so nice to come home to” .This song was the best to me mainly because of the singer‘s Jordan Brown. It wasn’t the ensemble played badly in particular but I was just not feeling the kind of songs they were playing. The Singer did picking up for this though and caught my attention. I think Jordan Brown had a performance stance; it was a very jazz singer type feel. I also like the way his scat singing, he had great conversation with the other instruments as well.
   Last but definitely not least is The Studio Jazz band. I like the music this band played better than the Community Jazz ensemble but they could get a little boring at times.  Their first song “Sugar” was a good start. I could not find anything wrong with this song at all. The next couple of songs did bore me a little towards a little bit although there were good solos Brandon Bryant and Camilo Valendia. But the thing that made me overlook the boring parts of the performance was the drummer Stephen Batts .This guy made the performance for me , every time  the songs got a little boring he picked them up and dragged my ears to pay attention . Stephen Batts had Amazing solos , I think I would have gone to the performance jus to hear them .Overall This performance wasn’t the best as a group but  the drummer made it the performance of the night for me .

Barbara7022
Composer (15 points)

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2009, 06:51:51 pm »

I will start by saying that this performance was much better than the faculty recital I had attended a few weeks prior. These students looked and acted as if they were prepared for this night. They were enjoying themselves and it made me enjoy the music more. I was extremely impresed by the fact that all the music that the Salsa Ensemble played was composed by Rafael Valencia, the conductor. Few times will a band perform original music. The first song, Shining Stockings was good except that one of the trumpeteers overpowered all the other instuments. This is something that happened in all the songs. The second song, Pent Up House was fun. The guitarist upheld the melody and the xylophonist, Daysi Celia Almirall, was awesome. She was having the most fun of all the band. The next song, Drume Negrita, was a love song. The piano opened with a tranquil solo and then the trumpets were a significant part of the rest of the song. It  sounded like a bunch of songs mixed together to make a masterpiece of sorts. The Corner Pocket was nice, but that darn trumpeter kind of ruined it for me by playing too loud. I could not enjoy the other talents of the performers. The last song of the Salsa Ensemble was Manteca. This song made me feel as if I was walking down Broadway. Everyone on stage had finally loosened up and just played with their hearts. It opened with a note held for a long time and the anticipation of how the song would sound was enticing. The next band, Community Jazz Ensemble was so different. It was composed of more musicians yet the first two songs had a much slower and milder beat. It was quite relaxing to listen to. Caravan, the last song they played made me want to dance with my boyfriend who so lovingly accompanied me to this event. I wanted to see the Salsa Ensemble join them from behind the curtain. The Studio jazz band was the smallest of the three groups. The audience had dwindled away and I felt sorry for them. I feel they were the most impressive, but I am being byast in a way because the first song, Sugar, took me back to my childhood when my parents would cook dinner to this kind of jazz and dance in the kitchen. I must say that Modaji was my favorite song. The guitar soloist, Camilo Valendia, "tore it up". It had a jazzy funk to it and I loved it. The last song of the night was a perfect choice. Progressive jazz is an upbeat, finger snapping, and foot stomping kind of jazz. The students were having fun performing this piece. The drummer, Stephen Batts inspired me to learn how to play the drums. All in all I had a wonderful night and I would have paid to see them all perform again.  Grin
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: