The Student Lounge
September 20, 2019, 02:46:23 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: All posts and revisions must be completed on or before 6:00 am on July 31st. NO EXCEPTIONS.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: MDC Jazz Band 11/10  (Read 10270 times)
Brian C. Wuttke
Administrator
Musical Legend

View Profile WWW
« on: August 21, 2009, 04:13:27 am »

MDC Jazz Band
Matthew Bonelli, Coordinator
Tuesday, November 10th, 7:30 pm
« Last Edit: August 21, 2009, 04:15:32 am by Brian C. Wuttke » Logged

I taught it, but did they learn?
laura5831
Novice

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2009, 01:50:36 pm »

I attended the Miami Dade College, Jazz Band Concert on Tuesday, November 10, 2009. The show was divided in two with two different groups performing, Jazz Workshop and Miami Dade College Jazz Band. I was pleasantly surprised at the quality of the performance. The opening performers were the Jazz Workshop, under the direction of Tom McCormick. The first song they played was “Light My Fire” in which they sounded very good with the exception of the trumpet section, in my opinion. Second song was “Afro Blue”, they played this with great rhythm and the saxophone and drum players were outstanding. Third song was “Mercy, Mercy, Mercy” here Bruce McKinnon did a wonderful job in his solo performance with the trumpet as well as Juan Pelaez in his solo in the guitar. Their final song was “Four Brothers” it was a wonderful choice for their grand finale; it had a great swing feel to it you felt the audience moving in their seats.
In the second half of the show the Miami Dade Jazz Band under the direction of Matt Bonelli, performed. Their first song was “Star Eyes” they had a wonderful rhythm with lots of energy. The trombone section really stood out as well as the trumpet section. Their second song and my personal favorite of the night, was “McArthur Park” they sounded like a professional band, great rhythm, melody it just absorbed you! Brian Quesada in the trumpet and Travis Graves in the tenor sax really out did themselves in this piece. Their third song was “Just Friends” even though they sounded well overall Mathew Johnson was really good on the bass, Brandon Bryant on the trombone and I think the drums we the star of this piece. Great performance by Jonathan Hurst. Their fourth song was “All of Me” great song from the swing era here again the drums were great, as well as the piano by Cori Alexander. Their fifth and final song was “ On Green Dolphin Street” which they did a few changes to and customized to their taste. They did a great job on it; they all played at their best.
I truly enjoyed the performance and as I said before I was pleasantly surprised, I was not expecting them to sound as good as they did. It truly felt like a professional performance at every level, they should be congratulated for the good job!

ana0891
Afficionado (5 points)

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2009, 01:55:15 pm »

I attended a MDC Jazz Band concert on November 10th, at 7:30 p.m..  My daughter and I enjoyed the concert very much.  From 7:30 p.m. to 8:00 p.m. there was a Jazz Workshop conducted by Tom McCormick and from 8:00 p.m. to 8:30 p.m. there was a Jazz Band concert conducted by Matt Bonelli.  The Jazz Workshop played 4 songs "Light My Fire", "Afro Blue", "Mercy, Mercy, Mercy" and "Four Brothers" and in general the songs played were pleasant to listen to but in a particular there were 2 pieces  I really enjoyed " Light My Fire" and "Afro
Blue".  A gentleman named Fred Feigenbaum played the tenor saxophone.  He was wonderful.  Mr. Feigenbaum was the oldest in the band.  His years of experience playing the saxophone was noticeable.  Mr. Fiegenbaum  captured the audience.  Even though  the Jazz Workshop was pleasant to hear when the MDC Jazz Workshop started to play the beat and the rhythm was obvious and different from the Jazz Workshop.  MDC Jazz Band in my opinion was more up beat and groovy and the Jazz Workshop beat and rhythm was like the Blues.  I definitely liked and enjoyed listening to the MDC Jazz Band.  My favorite piece was "McArthur Park".  Brian Quesada  did the solo on this piece.  He was played the trumpet.  This young man was wonderful.  The strength and agility he demonstrated while playing the trumpet was amazing.  My daughter and I had the opportunity along with other people who were there to watch the concert to see the musicians practice.
We thought that was very nice that we had that chance. The musicians were well prepared and when it was time for them to go on stage they looked and acted very much so professionals and eager to give their best to the audience.  I also appreciated that the conductors gave a brief explanation of the piece that was going to be played by the musicians.  This allowed my daughter and myself  to get a better understanding of the song to be played.  on a final note we enjoyed attending the MDC Jazz Band concert. All musicians present are very talented and should be applauded.

« Last Edit: November 11, 2009, 02:00:52 pm by ana0891 » Logged
yolna6162
Novice

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2009, 06:45:24 am »

MDC Jazz Band
Matthew Bonelli, Coordinator
Tuesday, November 10th, 7:30 pm
I attended the MDC Jazz Concert on November 10, 2009.   There were two bands that performed.  The first band was Jazz Workshop, conducted by Tom McCormick.  The second band was MDC Jazz Band conducted by Matthew Bonelli.  The concert commenced with the song “Light My Fire” by the Doors.  I was late, so I only heard the last verse of the song.  What I did hear, was performed very well.  The next song that was performed was “Afro Blue” by Mongo Santamaria.  This song had a Spanish beat to it.  The rhythm was not too fast or too slow.  This song, in my opinion, did not have any really notable factors to it aside from the Spanish rhythm.  Although it was performed very well, it was not one of my favorite.  I did like the strong finish where the whole band played the same notes at the same time.
  Jazz Workshop performed “Mercy, Mercy, Mercy” by Joe Zawinul.  The song started with the drummer keeping time.  The trumpet player performed a solo with the bass player and drummer softly playing in the background.  The trumpet player performed with a slight improvisation.  The electric guitar also performed a solo where he improvised, adding his own little swing feel to the song.  After which there was a call and answer exchange between the wind instruments and the rest of the band.
  The song “Four Brothers” by Jimmy Giuffre was the last song performed by Jazz Workshop.   This song was swinging more than all the other song performed by this band.  The bass had that walking beat.  The drummers kept time.  There was more call and answer exchanges.  The sax player had a jamming solo with an awesome improvisation.  This song had the fastest beat of all the songs that they performed.  It had a danceable rhythm.  It was almost like being back in the big band swing era. 
  The MDC band was a larger band than the previous band. The musicians were more experienced and performed more complex songs.  The first song was “Star Eyes” by Raye & DePaul arr. Dave Wolpe.  This song which included three solos was a little slower and easy on the ear.  The first solo was impressively performed by the trombonist.  The trumpeter had a solo followed by the pianist.  There was very little improvisation performed by the soloists.  This song was short but very enjoyable. 
  The song “MacArthur Park” was performed very well.  The trumpet player’s solo was strong and full of gusto.   The tenor sax player carried out his solo with an enthusiastic improvisation. His solo was melodic and romantic. After he completed his solo the band picked up the pace and started to jam.  Different sections of the band were improvising as though they were having a jam session.  This performance was one of the two songs that I had enjoyed most of all from this concert.  The whole band seemed like they were just having fun with the song.
  There were three more songs performed by this band; Just Friends, All of Me, and On Green Dolphin Street.  My favorite of all was the last song.  This song was jamming and swinging.  There were two outstanding solos performed by the alto sax player and the trumpeter.  The drummer was skillful and rhythmical.  I am glad that they finished with this song because it livened up the whole show.  There were a lot of capable musicians in this band.
 Smiley
« Last Edit: November 12, 2009, 01:33:15 pm by yolna6162 » Logged
jean0108
Novice

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2009, 07:09:12 pm »

The Jazz workshop at Miami Dade Kendall Campus on 11/10/2009 was very interesting. As a new Jazz listener, I got the opportunity to listen to the different instruments and got to see what the solos look and sound like in action. There were two different groups that played in the night. A “Jazz workshop” which featured a small combo band with 2 trumpets, 2 saxophones’, a bass and a rhythm section. And the “MDC Jazz band” that was more of a big band with 5 saxophones, 5 trombones, 4 trumpets, a bass, a piano and rhythm section.
     The first Band played 4 songs that were conducted by Tom McCormick. The first piece was “Light my fire” by The Doors; this piece featured a saxophone and guitar solo. Victor Peralta on saxophone solo sounded good, I could hear him trying to use different pitches to give his solo more rhythm. I enjoyed the guitar solo by Ubi Gonzalez; it had a very nice flow. The second song they played was “Afro Blue” by Mongo Santamaria. I really enjoyed the rhythm section of this piece, it was a very nice swing feel. The third song they played was Mercy, Mercy, Mercy by Joe Zwawinul. I specialy enjoyed the bass line and the trumpet solo. The trumpet solo by Bruce McKinnon included very high-pitched notes that really got the crowd into it. The last song they played was "Four Brothers" by Jimmy Giufflre. This song had a very nice swing feel, it was a very simple arraignment and the band played the song in entire unison.
   The MDC Jazz Band played 5 songs that were conducted by Matt Bonelli. The first piece was “Star Eyes” by Raye & DePaul arrangement by Dave Wolpe. I especially enjoyed the trumpet solo by Bruce McKinnon, he had a very nice delivery with strong accent. The next song was “McArthur Park” by J. Webb. The piano Solo was the best solo in my opinion; he had very good melodic ideas.  The third song they played was “Just friends” by R. McConell, all the solos were good except for the bass, I am a new listener of jazz but it sounded out of tune.  The fourth song they played was “All of Me” by Marks & Simon, arranged by B. Byers. This song included another solo by the Piano player Cori Alexander; he had a very nice sound quality coming out of the piano. The last song the band played was “On Green Dolphin Street” by B. Kaper. Matt Bonelli the conductor said it was “Tweaked” My favorite solo in this piece was Johnny holiday on the trumpet; he was unpredictable which led to very nice improvisation. I could honestly say I enjoyed listening to the Concert.
ana0891
Afficionado (5 points)

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2009, 07:24:05 pm »

I agree with Jean as a new jazz listener my self the MDC Jazz Band concert was very nice to listen to. It provided me visually with the musical instruments we have spoken about in class how they look and sound.
A definite nice concert that was very much enjoyed.
ana0891
Afficionado (5 points)

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2009, 07:48:09 pm »

I agree with Yolna regarding the capable musicians.  the song which I enjoyed as well was "MacArthur Park" and the solo performed by Brian Quesada was amazing.  Brian Quesada demonstrated great endurance and agility.  I was surprised by this young man strength.
jennifer1930
Novice

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2009, 02:34:25 pm »

I attended the MDC jazz band concert on Tuesday night; it was held at the McCarthy hall on campus.  The setting of the concert was warm and comforting and, surprisingly seats were packed.  When the first song sounded, it started in double meter with the drums thumping loudly followed by the guitar.  The trumpets and trombones then join in smoothly with the rest of the band.  Soft sounds from the trumpet compliment the guitar and bass.  The second song (Afro blue) was in triple meter.  The conductor explained that the original writer, whom he had the pleasure of meeting, lived in New York then moved into a condominium in the Hammocks (I think its pretty random).  The conductor really liked the song, so he and the rest of the band decided to play their version of it.  The whole band starts soft in a fast tempo conga style.  After about a minute, the melodies are lush and romantic in a slower tempo.  The pitch remains low and song ends with a loud trumpet solo.  The third song of the night is one of my favorites; it is called “Mercy, Mercy, Mercy”.  I literally wanted to get up from my seat and dance when the song played.    The song starts in double meter with an awesome bass solo, played by Mathew Johnson.  The tempo was medium with a funky beat; song was written in terenary form.
     Some of the instruments used in the show were: trombones, trumpets, bass guitar, rythm guitar, drums, piano, and saxophones.
    Overall, the jazz concert was amazing! I am not much of a jazz fan, but after listening to it live, I really started to appreciate it; I can honestly say I am more open to this genre.  Towards the end, the trumpets really stood out in a couple of songs.  Brian Quesada had a trumpet solo and looked like he was about to faint after blowing the instrument so hard.  I held my breath many times as Brian was playing. I laughed because he looked like he wanted to pass out at that very moment.  Brian did a great job though, and literally took everyone’s breath away.   I enjoyed myself and pretty sure the rest of the crowd did.  The band did an amazing job!
« Last Edit: November 18, 2009, 02:37:51 pm by jennifer1930 » Logged
Richard6776
Novice

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2009, 03:29:07 pm »

On Tuesday November 10th I went to the Miami Dade College Jazz Band Concert.  This was my first time going to a jazz concert, and I was very impressed.  There is nothing like being there live to hear music come strait from the instrument.  CD’s don’t compare at all.  The Jazz Workshop and the MDC Jazz Band performed, and put on a great show.  The Conductor for the Jazz Workshop was Tom McCormick, and his group of Musicians performed first.  They started off great with a classic from The Doors, “Light My Fire”.  I thought the band played pretty well.  I personally love The Doors and that song so I was enjoying myself.  They followed “Light My Fire with the song “Afro Blue” by Mongo Santamaria.  I was not familiar with this song before attending this concert, but through out I was tapping my foot, and bobbing my head along with the music.  I felt that the band played perfectly, the drums and percussion stood out to me the most.  The third song was “Mercy, Mercy, Mercy”.  The main part of the song was the fabulous solo by Bruce McKinnon he did a great job.  It takes a lot of guts to stand in front of everyone and perform like that and the guitar solo was wonderful. The last song was “Four Brothers” I believe they saved the best for last it had me dancing in my seats from beginning to end.
The second part of this concert was The Miami Dade Jazz Band and Matt Bonelli as the conductor. The song “Star Eyes” was the first one they played and it was smooth.  They trombone and the trumpets really stole that song in my opinion it was all about them.  They followed up the great opener with “McArthur Park.”  I would have paid to hear that song that’s how much I enjoyed it the flow and the energy made me feel the song.  Those two gentlemen deserve a lot of credit.  With what I seemed a hard act to follow the band belted out “Just Friends” by R. McConnell.  This number wasn’t my favorite.  After the band played a great swing song that had me moving to the music. “All of Me” was well played, and I have no complaints about it.  “On Green Dolphin Street” was final piece, and I believe they ended the concert off well.  Both band did a great job and you can tell the effort the musicians put to get ready for this concert.
I am glad that I went to see this concert I feel like I am more appreciative about music it truly does sound better in person.  I was definitely not expecting to enjoy my self as much as I did.  Every musician played amazing and I would like to congratulate them on a job well done. 
jose8018
Novice

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2009, 06:13:05 pm »

I attended the On Stage Jazz Workshop at Miami Dade College Kendall campus on Tuesday, November tenth at 7:30 PM.  The performance consisted of songs played by the Jazz Workshop band as well as the MDC Jazz Band. I have never been to any kind of jazz concert before, so this was a wonderful experience for me. The two bands had excellent performances including every musician involved.
The first four songs where performed by the Jazz Workshop, with Tom McCormick as the conductor. I recognized almost every song they played, but I really appreciated the new kind of music I have never experienced live. The first song they played was originally by The Doors, “Light My Fire” which is a band I really love. I especially appreciated the trumpet players on this song, Bruce McKinnon and Michael Cuartas, as they did a tremendous job. Playing on the Tenor Saxophone were musicians Fred Feigenbaum and Victor Peralta. On the guitar were Josef Ricardo, Juan Pelaez and Ubi Gonzalez. The guitar players were definitely my favorite, I really enjoyed their individual solos, and they were very talented. The drums and percussion players are Michael Santos, Stephen Batts and Abraham Rojas. The Bass was played by David Lopez. The next songs they performed where “Afro Blue” by Mongo Santamaria, “Mercy Mercy Mercy” by Joe Zawinul, and “Four Brothers” by Jimmy Giuffre. I really enjoyed the entire performance by the Jazz Workshop Band.
The second Performance was by the MDC Jazz Band, with Matt Bonelli as the conductor. This band amazed me with talent, I was very surprised to hear how incredibly gifted these musicians where.  This performance completely changed my opinion on Jazz, and I have learned to appreciate it much more now that I have seen it. The First song they played was “Star Eyes” by Raye & DePaul arr. Dave Wolpe. This song featured solos by Brandon Bryant on the trombone, Bruce Mckinnon Jr. on the trumpet and Cori Alexander on the piano. The solo I enjoyed the most was from the piano player, because I really like that instrument. The next song was “Mcarthur Park” by J.Webb, with solos by Brian Quesada on the trumpet, and Travis Graves on the Tenor Sax. The next song was “Just Friends” by R.McConnell, with solos by Matthew Johnson on bass, Brandon Bryant on trombone, Alejandro Calixto on tenor Sax and Deandra Mendez on the alto sax. This was my favorite song out of the whole performance; I just really enjoyed the solos throughout the song.  The last song played was “All of Me”  by Marks & Simon arr. B Byers, with one solo by Cori Alexander on the piano. The last song was “On Green Dolphin Street” by B.Kaper, with solos by Deandra Mendez on alto sax, and Johnny Holiday on the Trumpet.
Overall I really enjoyed my experience at the Jazz Workshop and MDC Jazz Band performance, I learned a lot about jazz music and realized I can truly enjoy it.  The Jazz Workshop band was great, and I was very surprised to see how talented the MDC Jazz Band really is. I loved the concert and it has totally changed my opinion on Jazz music, now that I have experienced it live.

- Jose Ibarra

NADIA6486
Novice

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2009, 08:54:31 pm »

The concert I attended on November 10th, 2009 was presented by  On Stage located on the Miami Dade College Kendall Campus. The performance was divided into two different groups: the Jazz Workshop directed by Tom McCornimick and the MDC Jazz Band conducted by Matthew Bonelli. Although the audience was really diverse on age and cultures it was widely appreciated. Both groups were composed by students and faculty elegantly all dressed in black. The first song played was “Light My Fire” by The Doors. I could appreciate the walking bass being the soul of this song. There were two improvisations during the song. The first one was by Fred Feigenbaum on the tenor saxophone, given his old age he was able to keep the rhythm and sweet melodies. The second one was by the guitarist, Ubi Gonzalez. The band sounded well with the exception of the trumpet section that was too loud. The second song was “Afro Blue” by Mongo Sanamaria. This song had a really nice introduction; it was a version from the original of John Coltrane. The hit-hat was present at all times, it was more upbeat, and once it was played at unison the band sounded like one. The high trumpet ending was impressive and unexpected. The third song was more funk. The title was “Mercy, Mercy, Mercy” by Joe Zawinul. Bruce Mckinnon showed how talented he is as a trumpet player. He played beautifully. His notes were clear and high. The fourth song, Four Brothers by Jimmy Giuffre, I believe was a fine sample of the Cool Jazz era.
On the second set, the Jazz band was assembled like a Big Band. It featured five saxes, five trombones four trumpets and on their rhythm section a pianist, a bassist and a drummer.  The first song was “Star Eyes” and had a great rhythm and energy; my foot was swinging all through the song. The second song was my favorite of the whole show. “McArthur Park” was a great hit. Brian Quesada and Travis Graves performed to the perfection on their solos. Any time Brian would play the trumpet, it felt like falling in love over and over again. The melodies ranged from high to low, and beautifully played. I was amazed! No mistakes were made during this song. The band sounded as professional as they are. In my opinion the piano was a little bit too low, but I was able to appreciate when he used the strategy of the stride piano style. The third song was “Just Friends”. It started with a soft bass solos, nice and mellow. The fourth song was “All of Me”, where I noticed that trombone was played muted with the hand by one of the players during his solo. During the fifth and last song of the concert, “On Green Dolphin Street”, Johnny Holiday did not play to well the trumpet. It was kind of messy, but I was a nice song to wrap it up. This swing song had a few changes made by the band so it could sound more like them. It was customized with their flavor. I truly enjoyed listening to the variety of jazz song presented. I was surprised of the quality of the show on a weekday. Their job was just professional and outstanding.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: