The Student Lounge
November 19, 2017, 09:10:32 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: All posts and revisions must be completed on or before 6:00 am on July 31st. NO EXCEPTIONS.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Critique #3  (Read 9232 times)
andres0487
Novice

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2010, 04:45:04 pm »

Music in general is taken for granted a lot by the general public, but the time and effort that goes into the songs you hear every day takes weeks if not months and honestly that blows my mind. The music starts of soft and playful with flutes leading the way. Its then fallowed by the bass then drops off again. Soon after though it slowly builds up. It reminds me of the music you’d hear in a cartoon almost. Its so playful I cant help but to take it less serious then I would with any other song. Its not to serious what so ever. The song continues to fade in and out. Build up and down, but through out it all its vary composed and elegant . I don’t really like the way it sounds as I said earlier its just to playful sounding for me to take it serious which also leads me to become less interested in the song as a whole by default in my mind. Ether way this this whole song is dominated by flutes and horns with bass coming in only when needed to fill the hollowness, again though it fizzles out just like the song does every minute or two. The tempo is fast and then stops but doesn’t drop its gently let down the flutes that are always playing. I cant say I have a favorite section to be completely honest other then towards the end where things become low and the flutes are just at a moderate level but of course it gets loud again. The scale in this song is kina hard to grasp but I think I understand it. Ether way the song overall is a good song but a bit repetoyive with the instruments as its really not that many compared to some of the more elaborate stuff we’ve listened to in class.
Luigi2134
Composer (15 points)

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2010, 07:32:27 pm »

The song played for listening critique #3 was Beethoven’s Symphony No. 6 II movement.  The song begins very calm and being played by only by a few instruments when the entire orchestra joins in. The melody of the song remains constant when the entire orchestra joins in.  Then slowly the cong begins to trickle down to only the woodwinds performing as the rest of the orchestra is silent.  This song almost resembles that of a rollercoaster because it has parts that are really loud and you could almost say hectic with how much stuff is going on, this would be like the fall on the coaster or the speeding turns, but it also has parts which are slow and calm which by being this way build a tension as you wait for the song to speed up again, this part is resembling the rising up to the top of the coaster or going into that dark tunnel on the ride.  This song is not one of my favorites.  Im not a huge fan of the classical music but I have learned to appreciate it.  This song shows me how a composer can make you draw comparisons to something that was most likely not the cause for him writing the music in that manor.  Midway through the song the melody is transformed, it sounds similar but not the same as the one that started the song. The up and down style of this song continues through this part as well. Then there is a pause almost as if to say “Ready or not, here I come” and the music picks up again but this time it returned to the melody that was being played at the beginning of the song.  This song closes by having a grand finale where all the orchestra plays loudly and then a very low finish.  Overall the song was bearable.  I think that I have grown to understand the music a little bit better even though I don’t really like all that much.
Christy7674
Master Musician (20 points)

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2010, 10:39:03 pm »

Beethoven's Symphony No. 6 (Pastoral) the second movement (Andante Molto Mosso) was my favorite critique for the class. The piece opens with the violins playing a very soothing and calm melody with soft dynamics. This piece repeats the same melody several times,  yet adding other melodies as well. The texture was polyphonic. The song also seemed to be in rondo-form. There were several different solos from different instruments.  The piece gave me the image of the ocean. At first just the waves breaking on the shore because the song would switch from being soft and quiet to loud and fast. But as the song progressed it gave me the image of diving into the water and taking a look at the creatures of the sea. The song sounded like you were on a search for something than when you finally get to the destination you realize it was right in front of you the whole time.
After the piece played the same melody fast, slow, fast, and slow, they would perform a completely different melody but in the same key. It was always something new but still very similar to the main theme. Each time they repeated the melody they would drag it on just a little longer than the last time to build up the tension in the song.
Several times they would carry out the melody to think that the song is going to end but it just keeps building up until finally the song ends with a melody very similar to the beginning yet softer and more peaceful. Representing the end to the journey.
Surprisingly, I had never heard this song before but I enjoyed it very much. It was somewhat different than the other songs I've heard in this class, which makes it stand out more to me. I wish the course would make this symphony a listening example. I would rather listen to this song 100 times rather than some of the other songs they put on the CD.
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: