The Student Lounge
December 09, 2019, 11:28:46 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Each listening critique must contain a minimum of 300 words to receive credit.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Critique #1  (Read 21480 times)
ross5068
Novice

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2010, 06:53:07 pm »

Our first In-Class Listening began with a few selections from Saint-Saens, The Carnival of Animals.  I was especially intrigued by this portion of the "concert", mainly for the composers ability to capture the essence of an animals character by merely "organizing sound".  The Elephant, for instance, had a fairly slow tempo and was comprised mostly of lower pitched tones, conjuring imagery of the creatures physical girth and slow, heavy mobility.  A use of soft dynamics helped in contrasting the elephants massive size with it's notoriously gentle nature.
Aquarium, another selection from The Carnival of Animals, was equally as successful in portraying certain aspects of a particular animal, in this case,the Fish, by creating a dream-like or mystical vibe that is often associated with the visual stimulations of an aquarium.  Desscending and ascending pitches at a moderate tempo helped to simulate the sensation of feeling virtually weightless while suspended in a water column.
The final selection from The Carnival of Animals, Aviary, was interesting in that the flute (an instrument of the woodwind family) was used to accuratley recreate the sounds of a bird's "song".  Also, the major key that the peice was written in seems so overly cheerful as if birds singing and chirping in the early hours of a new day.
The final selection we listened to, not associated with The Carnival of Animals but similar in it's subject matter, was Flight of the Bumblebee, played by Wynton Marsalis.  This composition had an extremely fast paced tempo, perhaps an expression of the franticness of a travleing bee.  So many notes were compressed into such a short period of time that to the listener, it sounded like the rapid fluttering of an insects wings.  The intervals between notes were mostly half steps which, paired with the fast tempo, helped to mimic the buzzing sound of a bumblebee in flight.  I thought this selction was awesome because of Wynton Marsalis' trumpet whaling.  Thank you.
jonathan 8996
Composer (15 points)

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2010, 08:25:50 pm »

The Elephant from the carnival of animal the starting part of the song it uses a very soft tone, the instruments that is play at first is the bass and the piano. It creates different types of beats that keeps you really entertained, this song was really creative because it could be performed in a lot of different events and the most important one is it might be to perform this music at circus while the elephant is performing a show. After a couple of minutes of hearing the song a very important part comes in which is the violin and the piano plays is a polyphonic musical texture thatís gives it a final touch that makes the song go with a nice beat and makes you see how the instruments are play with a soft and high tones in some of the parts of the song. I think I have heard this song in a couple of Disney movies the part that they show carousel music which it  reminds me when I was  little that I loved to go to go to the zoo just to hear the sound of the roaming. I think this is a good song to hear because it gathers you attention and in particular this song might be describing how the elephants moves and how a such a big animal like that gets up with out any problem and the qualities that this animal has and how big has tusk is, and been proud of the big animal that he is. It makes you think how they become such a big animal and how they make their way to survive in hot places like Africa. The way this animal is it such a beautiful specie and how it fits to description of this song.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2010, 03:24:16 pm by jonathan 8996 » Logged
andres0487
Novice

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2010, 01:15:47 pm »

The song the elephant was money. It sounded exactly like an elephant would sound lumbering around. The deep sound of the tuba described the clumsy animal perfectly. The deep sounds is all one needs to understand what this song is about.
   Having the piano and the way its being played has probly been replayed in movies hundreds of times, with the cascading piano notes raining down it is as if I were sinking to the bottom of the ocean with each note being a bubble or fish  rising to the top as I sink down. This song overall is extremely detailed and vary well put together.
   Somehow these artist are truly able to embody the song with the title.  The aviary    is a perfect name for it. All of the sounds in this one are playful and bright and they seem to interact with each other like birds would singing and flying from branch to branch. These sounds are up lifting and completely make sense in the context that they are played. If one were to take away just one chord this song would sound clumsy since all the notes rely on each other to compliment one another.
   The hall of the mountain king is again a perfect title. The bass heavy tonality of this song personifies whatís trying to be conveyed in this song. When the song is being played I cant help but think of a mouse running through a castle being chased or maybe dodging feet in a ball room full of people its frantic and rushed but is a good way and perfectly fits the song.
   The flight of the bumble bee is hectic the tempo being fast and frantic. The image that comes to mind when listening is a bee flying through trees dodging branches or natural obstacles in general but overall the sound has come together nicely.
jean-claude2998
Composer (15 points)

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2010, 08:07:18 pm »

This was the first piece I listened to and enjoyed it very much"In the Hall of the Mountain King".As soon as I heard this composition, I recognized it, that It has most likely been used in movies and commericials.
jean-claude2998
Composer (15 points)

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2010, 08:17:09 pm »

The elephant song was played very good because the composer used double bass piece is so well-constructed that it matches very well with the features and qualities of the elephant's moves.
jean-claude2998
Composer (15 points)

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 19, 2010, 08:37:54 pm »

The Aquarium song brong me the feeling like pasion. I noticed that the string section was playing extremely soft, which was making the song like something was moving underwater. I like it because was most like romatic music.
jean-claude2998
Composer (15 points)

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 19, 2010, 08:50:12 pm »

The song called" Aviary" from The Carnival of Animals was played very faster and high speed pitch tone.The piano, violin and string base also give the piece some more up beat personality, but as matter and fact I enjoyed to hear it.
jean-claude2998
Composer (15 points)

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 19, 2010, 09:28:01 pm »

I think I enjoyed all of the songs puit much, I also agree about those comments even if are not all the same, but they have same an idias. however, i have't nothing to complened about it because they are all telling stories and characteristic of what is going on.
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: