The Student Lounge
July 18, 2019, 02:30:04 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Each listening critique must contain a minimum of 300 words to receive credit.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Critique #2  (Read 10217 times)
Andy6812
Novice

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2010, 10:12:43 pm »

The selection “The Grid” from Koyannisqatsi begins with a lower range instrument that I believe is a tuba and sustains the same note throughout the beginning of the selection. Visually, the video begins in the setting of what seems to be a sky view of New York, through a series of many buildings. The music is appropriate at this point as it is at a very soft dynamic and slow tempo while it is still night time and quite silent in the city. Shortly after, flutes and bells are added that subdivide the original tempo set by the tuba. The brass section, led by the brilliant timbre of the muted trumpet, is then added as well as a gradual crescendo throughout as the streets become more populated with cars. As the sun begins to rise, more and more cars fill the street and singers are added to the music. The vocalists do not sing with words. As a matter of fact they use scat syllables to imitate the sound of instruments. At this point it seems to me that the music’s building dynamic and faster tempo is meant to signify the sounds the awakening of a city and the commencement of a daily routine. As a result, the video begins to show people participating in everyday events such as entering and exiting the subway, working, eating, etc. At this point the music has already built to about a forte dynamic that it sustains throughout the rest of its duration, at which the melody transitions between a quarter note and eighth note triplet feel. At first, the repetoyion of these riff-like phrases catch my attention, yet as the video progresses and they endlessly repeat, I feel overwhelmed by their stagnant dynamic and tempo. The video images are hard to link into a concise thought towards the middle of the piece because of the Pac-man and the bowling game that seem irrelevant. Although the message is unclear I realize that there is always someone or something present in every part of the video that is moving to some subdivision of the tempo that the music has sustained. I enjoy the fact that the piece visually ends where it has begun as it gives a sense of a complete thought, yet I dislike the fact that it ends without any major dynamic contrast at the end and that the message of the video itself is unclear.
jean-claude2998
Composer (15 points)

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2010, 07:01:48 am »

The grid from koyannisqatsi video/song was great. The music started with trombone in slow tempo and soft dynamic. At the same time I started to see the images of cars, streets, and buildings. The cars were moved very fast, after while the cars slow down then the music started going fast and high tone pitch. The instruments I could hear the most were trombone, keyboard or piano, and violin. Then the cars stopped and people got out of the cars started walking going in the building with fast motion like they were late for some thing or running away from enemy. The place looked like New York but I think was Los Angeles because I saw the sign on the road said Los Angeles. As people were walking in the building then I saw the other people were in the office to the other side, then on north side were other people who were working in hot dog factory, on west side I saw other people were at air port like they were traveling. As the music continued played then it slow down like low tone pitch tempo I saw people were played arcade game I think they were in break or vacation, they started eating hot dogs and then everybody got out go into the car. When I saw that I realized that the day was over and I tried to understand what kind of message this video song is telling me? I thought for a moment but it seemed like the way usually people spend their time for a day. That was like daily activities because after all that, it was dark like ended of a day (night). The next thing I saw was the sun rising like morning time I saw images highways then everything became in slow motion as I keep watching I saw the people on the beach, other people walking in the street, and other people watching TV. Then after that the song started going into a really faster tempo and high pitch also trombone got extra loud. And I started thinking this is giving me the message of the way life usually works in city and the way the days passed by people do different thing at the sometime. The slow tempo pitch tone seemed like the way night goes and the fast tempo pitch tone seemed like the way the time passed by on day. This is the way usually the life goes most of the time. I wish to have good explanation about this video/song what kind of message the author was tried to telling us because at the ended I saw the man and woman were walking with lot energy but on their face they were looked like happy and victory. It was so cool I like it a lot.
jean-claude2998
Composer (15 points)

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2010, 05:53:30 am »

People talk a lot things about "Grid from kayannisqatsi video/music, and the images of building that was in New York city. They said that it was great video/music which is true, but the building images I think was Los Angeles city.
jean-claude2998
Composer (15 points)

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2010, 12:09:00 pm »

Music is very good for us and it makes big different in our live. As humans, we see it in the cycle of day and night. Special Rhythm is basic to life, we find it in our heart and we feel it when we breathe and talk.
maurice7890
Novice

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2010, 09:39:02 pm »

"THE GRID"

The first instrument introduced sounds like a tuba or trombone. The tempo was slow with a soft tone. The second instrument to blend in with the first instrument was a horn. The French horn was played in a rising pitch and lowering pitch by going up the scale and down the scale on the instrument. The piece of music also added a third instrument which was a trumpet. The trumpet was played in the same fashion as the French horn; although the trumpet took on a wobbly effect. The dynamics beat had a higher pitch than the French horn and more distinctive than all the other instruments. After the trumpet was played a silence of instruments occurred as the visual section of the video took place showing New York City and all the flashing lights, building and a visual of the brake lights on the car too place as a celesta was playing almost like a dream effect while being accompanied by a flute. These two instruments were soon joined by a Jingle or better known as a triangle instrument. As the beat continued to progress a sudden chant arises in the background changing the melody to a more up tempo pattern as the chant took on the beat in the same melodic pattern as the celesta. The celesta became the main instrumental in the background during split scenes as the different camera angles through New York city were sped up and slowed down to show some type of visual effect. Towards the end of this musical an organ accompanied the celestial and the flute. The tone of the beat was very soft and smooth; with patterns that would rise and lower throughout the song. At the very end of the beat silence occurred as the flute and celestial were played once more in harmony. I like how the video was pieced together with the instruments as if it the video was specifically orchestrated to play for the video only. I am not too sure if there is a message here or not, maybe fast life for New York City and always on the go; business capital perhaps. The music makes me feel at ease, because sometimes I think my day goes by fast like that. I do liked the selection, because the patterns were pieced together nicely for example the celesta and flute; the trumpet being played in a rising and lowering fashion.
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: