The Student Lounge
July 18, 2019, 02:23:28 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: All posts and revisions must be completed on or before 6:00 am on July 31st. NO EXCEPTIONS.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Critique #3  (Read 12932 times)
Brian C. Wuttke
Administrator
Musical Legend

View Profile WWW
« on: June 21, 2010, 07:00:32 pm »

Post your 3rd In-Class Critique here by clicking on the "reply" tab.

REMINDER: Your critique MUST be 300 words minimum to recieve credit.

I taught it, but did they learn?
marco9891
Novice

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2010, 12:07:30 pm »

Music is wonders and joy is something that truly alters my day into something special. I am now reviewing the ďSymphony No. 6 PastoralĒ by Ludwig Van Beethoven, and to start off, I would love to say that Beethoven is purely a wonderful composer. To help support my opinion, Symphony No. 6 starts off in F major as its tonic key and the music starts with soft dynamics and melody that slowly gives out a joyful feeling. The dynamic gets louder as the song progress while more instruments join up to create more tension. The song then is raise at a loud dynamic and plays a theme that feels like you are embracing something amazing that you canít help but be excited with joy. This symphony has tons of mixes of soft and loud dynamics with the tempo at a moderate stable pace with triplet meter theme occurring on several sections within that by listening you notice that this piece has so much potential you would then realize what makes Beethoven special just by listening to his music.

As I have listen, I also had an epiphany that this symphony may be classical due to how well the design was, but also it has some romanticism material since the symphony gives off more of something thatís a happy experience, which I donít usually feel in other classical symphonies. That is another material about Beethoven because he was one of the composers to help pave the way to the Romanticism period when wrote his music. Reasons to that is that he must have put a lot of details to his work in order to help create emotional experiences through sound and music.

As the first reviewer, Iím honored to say that this is the music I like the most out of all the recent ones Iíve heard in class because Beethoven is now becoming the first composer that I am looking up to since each of his music I hear, I canít help but feel emotions coming within me.  He also helped me realize that by putting enough heart into your work, it can without a doubt be something special, which is what I must know in my life if I want to create the music I have been hearing and feeling inside.
Alexander5586
Novice

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2010, 12:23:26 pm »

Symphony No. 6 by Ludwig van Beethoven is a classic classical symphony, and was the first of his many performances to be titled in the "Recollections of Country Life." However, will be only talking about the 2nd section of the symphony called Andante Molto Mosso. It is considered, by many, one of his most beautiful composition works. In the main part the section, it's in a sonata form, moderate tempo, it's in a 12/8 meter, a B flat major,  and the dynamics are quite soft. Also, they are mostly strings playing in the beginning, which give me of feeling of being in the water like the Aquarium song or just having fun. You can also hear the cello players plucking their notes. However, as the song builds up and give you more of that energy feeling, the dynamics get louder, the tempo gets a little faster, and other section instruments are being played. Then, they are parts where the tempo and dynamics keep changing, as well as the parts themselves. I feel that is a feeling of my mix emotions. I love most of the string solos in the song, because I love solos and really makes the section better. I also love how at one point of the song, where the woodwind had a solo, then the string, then the woodwind, etc. I thought it was a great part, because really builds up the talent and characteristics of the section. It is to convey the emotions. At the end, the woodwind have a solo that sounds like birds singing. Well, overall, I enjoyed the song. My favorite part was the ending, because I'm a sucker for flute-like solos. You never seen many of those these days. I love mostly the whole song, because of the sweet fun had in my childhood. I'm not really sure if that was meant to be it, but that's the feeling I had. This is possible my favorite song out of all the critiques I had, because Beethoven is probably my favorite classical composer (maybe behind or tied with Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart). Of course, this one of my favorites from Beethoven.
david2270
Novice

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2010, 09:54:53 pm »

In symphony no.6 movement two by beethoven was I agree by far the best critique that we have had in class thus far. I like how it is very flowing almost like water flowing down stream from a river. It seems to be in triple meter throughout. At some points during the song it's almost in a waltz type of feel. There is a lot of repetoyion of the main theme throughout the piece. It seems that almost all the insruments at one point or another has played the melody. There are many different variations of the melody that beethoven did with the main theme or melody in this piece. I like the many different contrasts that he used in this movement. I also like the variety of new instruments that were introduced in this time period. I feel a lot of emotion in this movement. Maybe because beethoven was dealing with a lot of issues. I believe this movement or symphony was written or composed during the romanticism period or very close to that era. There is so much climax and resolution. meaning the dynamics were very overwhelming. Its mostly polyphonic form and i think the tempo is just right. I also believe that this is in rondo form because of the alternating themes throughout the movement. I also like the touch and go releases that happen throughout this piece. Meaning when one instrument plays the melody or section when it reaches its end another instrument or section picks it up. Very connecting and continues. This song makes me feel sad yet joyous and hopeful. Given the fact that beethoven was nearly deaf or completely deaf when he composed or wrote this piece. It just shows you how talented and gifted beethoven was. Especially with the disability he had to endure and adapt to throughout his life. I think that we can all learn something from beethoven that no matter what disability we have we can still enjoy and do the things that we love to do.
daniel5816
Novice

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2010, 09:27:45 am »

In this selection of Beethoven, he is playing his symphony No. 6, ďAndante Molto MossoĒ, also known as the Pastoral Symphony. In this symphony I noticed that the tempo was slow at the beginning and started to gain some more speed as the symphony continued along with some other instruments.The dynamics of this piece, like the tempo; had a slow, moderate, and fast parts. The meter of this piece is in 12/8, and the key is in B flat major, it is also in sonata form. The entire symphony is composed mainly by wind instruments like the flutes, oboes, and clarinets; but it is also composed by string instruments. I can notice the difference between the romanticism and the classical music; the difference is that the romanticism, the music has more feeling and more passion, while the classical music is just dull and with less passion. Like in the romanticism, the main theme is being played repeteadly with a few changes in tonation; all the different kinds of instruments seem to be playing the main theme at some point of this piece. What I like the most about this symphony is that at certain points, the music changes to a slower tempo in which they play a solo part with a wind instrument, and then the tempo builds up by making more instruments being played and making the dynamics louder than before. When the whole orchestra is playing, I feel like if I was in a very joyful scenario, and when the orchestra is playing a solo, I feel like if it was an unexpected change according to how the solo is being played. This is the best critique I have had, because I love how music changes throughout the history, and as I have seen how much music there is to know, I realize that I know very little about music and there is always something new to learn about music every day.
jonathan 8996
Composer (15 points)

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2010, 10:59:00 am »

Symphony # 6 by Ludwig Van Beethoven this typically song is a very interesting classic song. This is one of the best and interesting songs I ever heard  so far in the class , when I heard it  got my attention because seen  the situation  this composer had and how talented  he was how sad his life changed. This song has really different types of variety of instruments that makes the song become really interesting to listen and enjoy how this classic still around and how it gets your attention ones you heard it. This particular song it starts with a very slow tempo and as it keeps on going it starts to gain more speed, as the symphony continues to play with the other instruments it gets better and faster. In my opinion Beethoven composed this song not just to compose it just to change the way of slow songs and romantic songs how they were back in those days so it helped a lot of lovers to be more together and spend more times together with that song. This particular song it makes you feel that you are in the front row hearing the instrument play loud and clear and how some of the parts the instruments changes according to the solo  is  been hear.  At the end itís sad to hear how such a talented person has to modify his life and his instrument to keep making music and knowing you are going to be deaf and keep trying to compose and keep on with his music and sometimes thinking is better to take your life away   and knowing that some day that you are going to be deaf. It has a very sad ending knowing the situation he was but became a good song and I think he was one of the best composers of those days. Grin
Abraham6219
Afficionado (5 points)

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2010, 12:16:55 pm »

In Beethovenís Pastoral Symphony No 6, Andante Molto Mosso is written F Major for flutes, clarinet, oboe, violin, and viola. The combination of the woodwinds and the strings really makes it a cheerful tone.  Starts off with a piano dynamic and constantly crescendos to forte throughout and goes back to piano. I really liked how this piece moves where itíll go from having the violins flowing then playing staccato notes breaking up the gentle flow. It sounds like every instrument gets involved at one point with the original melody/theme. The rolling notes between the instruments give this symphony a real natural and piece tone and show the character of pitches between the different instrumentation. Seems like the song slows down and speeds up after every solo. This piece is definitely polyphonic where we have varies melodies played by the different instrumentation held together by the theme played by the violins.  The change in dynamics and crescendoís is really what makes this piece so emotional and exciting. 
Beethoven obviously writing this in the Romantic period poured a lot of emotion into all of his pieces, pulling out all of the stops he could when it came to his compositions. I can only speculate that Beethoven was feeling at peace with himself and his surroundings when he wrote this piece. Being deaf and writing this music makes it very easy to see the superb talent that Beethoven is still popular today for.
I really enjoyed this piece, because of the calm and soothing theme. This song makes me feel as if I was in the woods going for a stroll and the different instruments are the different birds flying around. This symphony does not have much excitement as suppose to Beethovenís 9th Symphony which is one of my favorites.  Great reflecting or meditating music.
yaondy6010
Novice

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2010, 05:36:17 pm »

Ludwig Van Beethovenís symphony No. 6 was completed in the year 1808. It was one of the not many works of Beethovenís program music. I am now reviewing the second movement of Beethovenís symphony no. 6 ďAndante Molto MossoĒ. This movement is the most beautiful and peaceful composition of Beethovenís works. The tempo of this movement is not slow or fast. It has a moderate tempo, right in the middle. The dynamic of the second movement is low at the beginning, but as the song progress the dynamic gets louder. This keeps happening throughout the entire second movement. Sometimes gets really low, and sometimes gets louder. This movement is play most by strings and woodwinds instruments. At the beginning of this movement we can listen to the strings instruments playing. As we hear them play, we can assume that the strings instruments are imitating the flowing water of a river. As the Andante Molto Mosso movement progress we listen to the woodwinds join the strings instruments. As we hear them play, we can assume that the woodwinds instruments are imitating the bird calls. The second movement has a very wonderful melody that make you feel in joy and victory. This movement has a great tonality. I really like everything about Beethovenís symphony no. 6. What I like the most of this movement is the strings and woodwinds instruments. The strings instruments make me feel like if I was flowing in the ocean water without destinations were everything is peaceful and joyful. The woodwinds instruments make me feel like if I was flying with thousands of birds singing a wonderful song of victory. The ďAndante Molto MossoĒ movement is the most wonderful, joyful, and beautiful song of the classical period by Ludwig Van Beethoven. Also I think that we can learn from Beethovenís works because we can see that when he lost his hearing, he still work on what he loves and create even more wonderful songs.
cavan5119
Novice

gets more butt than ash trays

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2010, 06:00:37 pm »

Symphony no. 6 by Ludwig Von Beethoven was a beautiful composition that I enjoyed listening to very much. Of all the compositions we have listened to as a class, I must say that this particular one I found to be the most enjoyable.  Beethoven had a very unique skill of drawing in his listener. The repetoyion in this piece creates familiarity, so as the song continues, somebody listening can identify with the music and become much more comfortable listening.
The Allegro tempo was very relaxing and natural sounding much like the flow of a stream or waterfall. With all the instruments sounding off together it gave me a feeling of walking through a peaceful forest with birds chirping in the background. In symphony no. 6 I heard flutes and oboes, trumpets and trombones, and strings stand out the most. 
The dynamics of the song were exciting. I sensed a little consonance versus dissonance, because as the dynamics would elevate all of a sudden they would calm down. This gave me a good feeling. It was not too intense and as the dynamics rose and fell, they did not create too much tension in my ears. 
The solos were pleasing to me as well. Each one told a different story, although I may not know much about reading music, I do know that they were brilliantly composed and executed. The woodwinds had a turn, followed by the strings. Each one added life to the musical piece, and when they all joined together, they complemented one another to paint a big beautiful picture.
I have limited musical knowledge. I have never understood or enjoyed too much classical music, but feel that Beethovenís Symphony no. 6 speaks to me. It is very emotional and conflicted, but at the same time, very peaceful and relaxing. Beethoven must have had not just a lot of musical knowledge like a lot of composers do. No, he had something special. He had musical wisdom. I would listen to Beethoven with the volume on full blast driving down Ocean dr. in a beat up 1992 Geo Metro, and I think I would still feel pretty good.
ross5068
Novice

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2010, 06:32:50 pm »

Our latest and final critique is of Beethoven's 6th Symphony.  Now, I may be wrong but I distinctly remember hearing on wednesday what I now find to be labled under as the first movement of Beethovens 6th Symphony.  I have in my notes that we were to be critiquing Andante molto mosso, the second movement of beethovens 6th symphony.  When I searched for, and found Andante molto mosso, I did not recognize the peice and so decided to search further, starting from Allegro ma non troppo, the first movement of Beethovens 6th Symphony which upon hearing I recognized as what we had listened to in class.  I certainly can't prove that what we heard on wednesday was in fact Allegro ma non troppo and not Andante molto mosso but I can assure you of my confidence.  I will proceed in critiquing the former.

I must say that I was a bit skeptical upon learning that we would be critiquing Beethovens 6th Symphony.  I read, in our text book, that Beethovens even-numbered symphonies tend to be "calmer and more lyrical" as apposed to his odd-numbered ones that are "more forceful".  And it is true, his 6th symphony is surprisingly joyous in comparison with say, his 5th symphony which I happen to be quite fond of.  I suppose that my pessimistic nature leads me to favor minor, rather than major keys.  But, I was able to enjoy this peice to the best of my music appreciating abilities. I noticed a tremendous dynamic range, achieved through crescendos and decrescendos, a characteristic of the Classical style whereas, during the baroque period, composers were most likely to make use of terraced dynamics.  It's hard for me to express why I'm enthralled by the prevailing melody, or theme of this peice but I can say that Beethoven has managed, from beyond the grave, to evoke wonderous feelings in me through this particular composition.  
christian5932
Novice

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2010, 06:37:30 pm »

Symphony No. 6 (Pastoral)
Through first glance of listening to Symphony No. 6 I did not particularly enjoy the music. But as I continued to listen to I grew to actually like it. As I listened to this piece it made me feel emotions of relief and assurance for the events that are going on in my life. I really like how the symphonies dynamics start off at piano while at a medium tempo it builds to what I believe is forte,and then the orchestra starts playing in double time which gives it a more upbeat sound.

Moreover, while writing my critique I have listened to this song more than just a few times and I can't help but smile every time the music starts over. For some reason that I can not explain, I just feel generally happy and soothed. Also as an added comment this piece seems like it would be great for a dream sequence in a movie or a montage of two lovers dancing in a ball room. As random as that sounds its just some of the things I have thought about while listening to the music. Another random thought that the song makes me think about is a large school of fish swimming through the ocean taking sharp turns and rising, then diving deeper, then slowing their pace to an idle speed to relax, only to speed back up again to travel further.

Lastly, as we reach the end of the song the musics dynamics stays generally at a piano and then with I believe one more strong rise at forte. Thinking about the end takes me to a scene in Disney's Cinderella where Cinderella is dancing with the Prince but then she must leave and suddenly she is gone and that just how the music ends. It does not gradually fade away but halts.
maurice7890
Novice

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2010, 09:26:41 pm »

Symphony No.6 (Pastoral) composed by Ludwig Van Beethoven.

This symphony was a steady paced movement with flutes, strings, oboes and piccolos. The previous instruments I have listed all played in harmony with one another. The melody was soft as you could hear the pitch of clarinets in the background of the beat playing softly as the string section takes over with a dramatic introduction like a scene in a horror movie to add suspense. The beat then lowers and the violins are now accompanied with trumpets and a drum sound that mimics a march. The beat has a soft tone that has a melody that flows well with some instruments being played higher than other. The sound varies by instrument, but the composer placed separately solos for the flute violins. The dynamics of this beat goes from high to low throughout the beat; however certain instruments rise to a high pitch and lowered to a lower pitch.

I like this symphony because it is well structured. I have more of a neutral feeling to this symphony. Iím not at a happy state or a sad state however when the beat stops and I hear the trumpets and the flutes being accompanied by one another it creates a beautiful soon. Another movement follows the rest without a spontaneous twist. During this symphony the flutes play in harmony with the violins giving off a sweet sound to the ear. The trumpets were played at a moderate pitch also blending in with the violins. This symphony made me feel as if I was being chased by someone or something. The changes in instruments alternating for certain sections in this beat were well done. I could see myself playing this sweet melody in my car while I run errands because its smooth tone would not upset me.
Andy6812
Novice

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2010, 11:46:34 pm »

Beethovenís second movement from his Symphony no. 6, Andante Molto Mosso, begins in a major key with a motif that is played by the string section. The motif is made of very fluid and connective phrases that give an initial feeling of the wind that runs through the leaves of trees. The dynamic level builds continuously throughout, along with dynamic swells that occur repetoyively. The full orchestra then joins the strings at a much stronger dynamic and a less fluid, and more pizzicato and staccato feel. The piece has a very peaceful and walking tempo that gives me the feeling of a stroll through grassy plains in a country setting. I believe the movement is written in sonata-allegro form, which shows the beginning of Beethovenís originality with his Symphony compositions as is it common that the first movement is the one that is written in sonata-allegro form. I like the variations of dynamics in this piece because it gives an overall impression of what Beethoven must have felt as he wrote this composition. The wide dynamic contrast also shows the incorporation of the piano-forte and its ability to effectively show such a wide range of contrast. As compared to some of Beethovenís other compositions however, I find that the motif itself isnít as entertaining as others. What I found quite interesting was the variety of solo instruments throughout the extent of the piece. At one point I had the impression of a tutti and soli structure because of all of the counter-play between the solo instruments and the orchestra. The coda at the end of the selection was typical of the classical cadences used earlier throughout the era. It ended with a powerful forte dynamic from the full orchestra and then a soft and very light triad played by what sounded like a clarinet, oboe, and a flute.
Christian3288
MUL1010
Novice

:)

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2010, 12:15:23 am »

Beethovenís second movement from his symphony no 6 "Andante Molto Mosso", begins lightly with violins carrying the melody. Throughout the piece the violins crescendo and decrescendo many times. Eventually, as the piece progresses, the entire orchestra plays the melody at a very loud dynamic. My favorite of many solos that were part of this composition was the oboe because it has a cool and unique sound to it. At this point in the composition, the oboe carries out the theme of the piece and slowly, the string section and then the full orchestra repeat the theme along with the oboe and they all crescendo throughout the third repetoyion. The piece has a lively up beat tempo to it, which almost makes me feel as if I were a child playing in a park. It was very strange though, because it was difficult for me to figure out the time meter for this piece because I wasnít sure if it was a mixture of duple and triple. The overall sound of the music is very happy and really has no dissonance in it. Although the song had a lively beat I felt that it was too repetoyive. It had the same melody over and over again, and it honestly got boring after a while. I believe that a ďtheme and variationsĒ form would have given a change to the melody that would have made it much more interesting. For example the contrasting section that involved an accompaniment-like series of repeated notes from the strings was different and it got me involved more in the music and kept me interested in listening to what else would happen. It is quite ironic how Beethoven composed such a lively piece after becoming deaf and planning to commit suicide. Nevertheless, I believe Beethoven is a genius for all that he was able to do despite his disability, and all of the wonderful things he contributed to music.

Christian A. Piombo
Joshua5601
Novice

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2010, 02:46:21 am »

In my third and final critique I will be speaking about Symphony No. 6 by Ludwig van Beethoven. This symphony was known as the pastoral symphony, which later on was labeled ďrecollections of country life.Ē This piece was completed in 1808. The section that I will be focusing on in this critique will be the second section of the symphony called Andante Molto Mosso.  In my opinion it is one of the best compositions that we have listened to throughout this music course. The way all of the instruments are used in this piece is just brilliant. It begins with a very soft dynamic and moderate tempo with the use of the strings being played. Then builds up to a very high powered dynamic with the use of a full symphony. Wile listening it is very easy to notice that the entire symphony is mainly composed of wind and string instruments. Throughout the piece the main theme seems to be played by all the different instruments. I really enjoyed when the melody would slow down and a solo would be played then after. It really just catches your attention. Also adding that the intensity of a full orchestra is one like no other. So loud and in all in sync, makes it very fun and exciting to listen to. As I was listening to this composition made me feel very energetic and giving me a mental visual as if in the song there is a search for something that has yet to be found. With the racing of the melody and then slowing down it is very easy to feed of its intensity. It reeks of passion, which very noticeably makes it easy to label as romanticism. It really shocked me how much I enjoyed it. I hope one day to be able to attend a concert with a symphony performing this piece.
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: