The Student Lounge
January 21, 2019, 06:34:22 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: All posts and revisions must be completed on or before 6:00 am on July 31st. NO EXCEPTIONS.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
  Print  
Author Topic: In-Class Critique #3  (Read 26587 times)
Yaidelyn7294
Songwriter (10 points)

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 14, 2010, 12:31:40 pm »

We’ve come to the last in class concert. Love this new era of Jazz Fusion.  New Shoes by Marc Russo &Russell Ferante was quite difficult at the time of getting the form I believe it was an AABA style. This piece was definitely modern jazz. There were electric instruments and alto saxophones. It was like this type of song full of energy and makes you want to dance. It had a high tempo. The saxophones solo was splendid. The beat was very catchy and upbeat. The other piece called “Portrait of Tracy” by Jaco Pastorius was very slow. I personally did not like this piece it was Modern Jazz. It had electric bass and a piano it was missing saxophone and trumpets, it was not my taste at all. Last but not least “Latin Dance” by Bob Mintzer was definitely Jazz Fusion. The combination of booth Jazz and Latin music make a wonderful piece. This song had high tempo.  The song got like a mambo rhythm. The Latin instruments fundamentals for this song were the cowbells, timbales, and the loud trumpet. Here we come to my heritage there was a conga sound is like a solo percussion by in that song that make me remember about “Los Carnavales” is a party between two towns where people get to dace and eat food. The piano playing allows the song to have that swinging feel. This piece have been my favorite of them all it brings memories of my childhood. Is perfect example to describe salsa music
stephanie6951
Novice

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 14, 2010, 01:01:56 pm »

The three songs we heard in class were very interesting and each one sounded completely different. New Shoes had a nice moderate tempo. I loved how the saxophone sounded in it. It gave it a nice sounding tune. The bass and drums also added an interesting beat in there. This song definitely sounded like avant-garde jazz. Towards the end it started to get a little too repetoyive with the same beats playing over and over for like a minute. However I still really liked the song. Portrait of Tracy was a very alternative piece. It has a slow tempo but I still really liked it, and I usually don’t like very slow songs. This piece was rather short and with no words but I really liked how the beat sounded. Latin Dance was definitely my favorite song and the name says it all. It is a very Latin song. This song just made me feel like getting up and dancing because it had such a great beat. I really liked the rhythm of the two different saxophones playing together. The song also had a pretty fast tempo. I really liked a part during the middle of the song that there is just one saxophone playing and it sounds awesome. It was a very long song and like New Shoes it started to get a little repetoyive towards the end. My favorite part was towards the very end that it sounds like the Caribbean drums are being played, and that was just a great ending to the song.
Robert6932
Novice

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 14, 2010, 01:11:16 pm »

New shoes by Marc Russo starts with a medium tempo drumbeat. The keyboards and bass are electric so it gives it that fusion sound by combining the jazz sound with rock electronic instruments. The emphasis is on the bass and drums. It had a very 80s sound which reminded me of a theme for a movie or a tv show. The saxophone really helped put this piece together. The saxophonist had a extraordinary solo which gave the band it's own unique style. Overall the song was very upbeat and the band was on fire. I could see this band playing at a club and turn it on it's head.

Portrait of Tracy by Jaco Pastorius is a slower and mellower jam. I had a hard time figuring out if I was hearing keyboards or a guitar, but I'm guessing it was the former. The song is very melodic, with both instruments sounding very harmonious together. It gave it that smooth jazz feel with a noticeable chord progression. The bass gave the song character in a very solemn way almost as if the music itself was telling a story. I would mention that it's very bluesy in that it tries to invoke these feelings from the listener.

Latin Dance by Bob Mintzer definitely had a big band sound with a steady beat. It obviously has strong latin influence in the percussion. The bass and drums are the backbone to this song. The saxophonists play off each other and also play some improvisational solos. This song is perfect to dance to as the drums are carrying the song throughout. The song stretched on for a while, but I don't see it being a problem for the people who would be dancing to it in an intoxicated spell. I really enjoyed the drums in this section. The song really had a real early salsa sound to it as well which I noticed.
paola0814
Novice

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 14, 2010, 01:58:48 pm »

Last week in class we listened to three pieces.
The first one is “ New Shoes’, by  Marc Russo and Russell Ferante. It had a hard beat. It is a modern Jazz. They use a lot of electric instruments and heavy drumming. The tempo was kind of medium. I also think there was a keyboard and an alto saxophone doing improvisation. This song was very enjoyable. It is a song meant to be danced. We also listened to “Portrait of Tracy”, by Jaco Pastorius. I also enjoyed this song. There was an electric bass. The tempo is very slow. It  was a very relaxing song. Something I would put on a very stressful day, and just sit back with a cup of wine on hand. The last piece we listened to was “ Latin Dance”, by Bob Montzer. Even thou I enjoyed all the pieces from last week., this piece was definitely my favorite. I love Latin music and this definitely had the Latin feel. Growing up in Puerto Rico and then moving to Miami, I have heard this type of music my whole life. This song really made me want to get up and dance.  It had a fast tempo There was improvisation from all the instruments. It definitely has the swing feel to it. There were timbales, loud trumpets, piano and cowbells being played. There was also a saxophone. It also had the piano doing a solo. I also loved the way the drums were being played. It is definitely a very enjoyable piece.
Ngin7651
Afficionado (5 points)

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 14, 2010, 02:24:23 pm »

Engrade-band4me-N42377651
title: New Shoes by Marc Russo &Russell Ferante
   The song of this piece of music is tempo is medium fast.  In this song the drummer is very active.  I think this song has no form of jazz because the song is more into rock.  I like the music because beautiful melody by saxophone.  It make me feel relax and make me want me to tap my feet along with the song.  I like the end of the song especially the end of the song where the entire instruments play together like releasing tension where the electric guitar and saxophone.  This song is one of the songs that I enjoy the most for in class listening.
title: Portrait of Tracy by Jaco Pastorius
   This song is one of very short song for all the song we listen in the class.  The song tempo is slow, and I doubted it had any form jazz music.  I think the artist is tried to find new kind of music base with electric bass.  I would consider this song as avant-garde jazz because the artist explore to new kind of music.  The music make me feel just relax.  I do not like the music because this music does not have any catchy melodies or rhyme.  Also, I do not hear the any kind of jazz instrument. 
title: Latin Dance by Bob Mintzer
   I think this music is the first music we heard in class has influence from Latin Jazz.  The tempo of the song is medium and it has smooth rhyme.  The drum is very active and we can hear the cow bell.  The song seems to be very easy to dance with it.
I like the music because it has smooth and catchy melodies in the course by the saxophone.   The music makes me feel happy or make me excite to dance along with the song.
claire9529
Novice

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 14, 2010, 02:32:13 pm »

The first tune we listened to in class was New Shoes, performed by the Yellow Jackets. The song starts off with the keyboard, drums, and sax, and is very upbeat. I believe it is modern jazz. The song has both a medium/fast tempo. The sax played very high and loud, definitely woke me up out of my mood. I did not enjoy this tune as much, I felt like it was a little too cheesy, something you’d listen to in the 80s, not my style.
Our second tune Portrait of Tracy, was a completely different type of song than the previous one. It only features the electric bass. This song opens slowly and has a nice melody to it. It wasn’t a long song at all but it was long enough to create a mellow and relaxing mood. This song seemed to have a repetoyive chorus, I believe it’s form is AABA.

Our last and final song was Latin Dance. This song definitely had a latin feel to it, hence the title. It was loud, and had a fast tempo. I believe this song is jazz fusion, the combination of jazz and latin music together sounded great. The big band made this piece sound up, lively, and just a great tune to dance to. This song by far was my favorite song of the night. And very long!
Erika8630
Novice

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 14, 2010, 02:40:17 pm »

The first song (New Shoes by Marc Russo and Russel Ferante) was my favorite song of all three. Starting with a cool, medium, tempo drumming and emphasizing a chill song with a soothing beat. There’s a saxophone solo which changes notes quickly. This saxophone solo is not improvised because it contains a musical repetoyion when being played. This song is in AABA form and has the bass and drums in the background playing the same ‘A’ rhythm. The bass and drums begin a duet with the same beat following a fast paced saxophone improvisation. The saxophone plays different notes quickly which made me realize that the player is highly skilled because of the speed he moves his fingers. This player also plays remarkable high pitches on the saxophone although the synthesized sounds of the piano are barely heard. The saxophone continues to improvise randomly and ends with the chorus of the song and a high pitch on the saxophone.
The second song (Portrait of Tracy by Jaco Pastorious) begins sounding like a video game and merges with a medium tempo bass. I did not enjoy this song because it seems (in parts) disorganized. The song sometimes picks up the rhythm and plays some melodies in different notes and pitches. The music gives a feeling of sad, depressing, and sorrow. The song ends with a moment of silence, plays a mysterious note, silences again, and finishes.
The last song (Latin Dance by Bob Mintzer) starts with various saxophones playing from low to high sounds. This fusion song has an AABA form while you hear all the saxophones playing at once. The enjoyable music has a Latin feel to it, making it somewhat danceable. One saxophone performs an improvised solo in a medium tempo. Shortly after, the other saxophones join the solo saxophone. There’s a point where there’s a mixture of different noises which brings a feeling of confusion. Then there’s another improvised saxophone solo which sounds better than the first solo because it is more predictable. There’s also high saxophone pitches that responds to other instruments. Once the saxophones stop playing, a piano solo begins with the same Latin feel in the background. This song sounds like a musical ballad and resembles a happy, party, energetic, and alive vibe. A drumming solo begins which is very entertaining. The drumming goes into a descending volume, making it seems like if the song were ending but the music picks back up with all the instruments included. Playing the same tune, the music goes into high pitches and finishing the song with a single touch on the piano key.
Jason0511
Novice

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 14, 2010, 02:50:10 pm »

“New Shoes” sounded substantially different from anything we have heard in class before. Probably the feature that distinguishes this piece the most is the heavy use of electronic instrumentation. In fact, all of the instruments except for the saxophone seem to be electronic, including the drums. Unlike bebop and hard bop, I found it easy to discern a form and structure to the music, with definite key changes. Although the saxophone is the foremost instrument, the uniqueness of the electric sound of the others makes all the instruments audible in their own right.
   “Portrait of Tracy” also uses electronic instrumentation in the form of the electric bass. The playing sounds kind of muted, and patterns are harder to discern. The tempo is very slow. Even though “Portrait of Tracy” is a solo piece played on a single instrument, there are a variety of different sounds and pitches being played at once. One part of the form that I could decipher was a part at the beginning that repeated itself at the end. This is evidence of A-A-B-A form.
   In contrast to the other two pieces, “Latin Dance” has an element of swing. The specific style, however, resembles Latin music more than traditional big band jazz. The Latin influence is immediately discernable, and continues throughout the piece. Not only is the rhythm similar to Latin rhythms, but the choice in and distribution of instruments resembles Latin music as well. One can hear an instrument that sounds similar to cowbell in the background, keeping the beat like claves or cowbell does in Latin music. There is also other percussion, like the timbales, that are reminiscent of Latin music. The solos, however, sound more like the jazz that we are accustomed to hearing. Overall, “Latin Dance” sounds more like jazz with Latin influence than full out Latin Jazz. I think that Latin Jazz, as exemplified by Perez Prado y La Sonora Matancera, has more soul to it. The vocalizations and individual nature of his music makes it seem more Latin than the music that “Latin Dance” represents.
yarny5624
Novice

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 14, 2010, 07:19:00 pm »

Today’s in class critique was very interesting because not only the listening was very different from what I have heard before but in the class I learned a lot about each singer most of them modern singers.
 “New Shoes”(Marc Russo and Russell Ferante)
This particular song was my favorite it had like a very sporty sound, it was also something that I have never heard before in any of the critiques because the song sounded very modern, it featured many instruments such as guitar, trumpet(high and low) and a very loud drum set that was giving the song a very energetic sound it reminded me of like action movies from the 80’s.
“Portrait of Tracy”(Jaco Pastorious)
I did not like this song that much because it was really slow kind of like just a guitar player just playing anything very slow I did not saw any rhythm through the whole song, the song vary sometimes was a piano or sometimes there was a guitar also most of the song was electronic.
Latin Dance (Bob Mintzer)
I liked this particular song a lot because I am Latin and this sounded like salsa lots of instruments where being played at the same time and so far I think this is the only song I’ve heard in the critiques that I could relate to, the song was very fast it had stops during the middle and it also had a trumpet solo with drums in the background toward the end of the song so far this was my favorite song out of all.
gabriela0216
Novice

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 14, 2010, 07:47:19 pm »

New shoes:  This song to me was definitely not any regular traditional jazz.  It had a cool, modern feeling.  It featured some funky keyboards opposed to the common piano used in jazz and a strong saxophone.  The bass was consistent throughout the entire song.  I found it difficult to figure out the specific form to this song.  With all the new combinations of electric sounds its style was pretty simple to figure out; it was jazz fusion.  The sound is enjoyable because of the energy it conveys.

Portrait of Tracy: I found this song to be slow in tempo and melodic.  I also found some parts to be familiar as if I have heard this song in another song before.  It lacked the typical brass instruments found in jazz songs.  The electric base was the main component to the song and it was interesting to hear because I found it unique. I believe the song was simple compared to what jazz songs are known for.

Latin Dance:  The tempo to this song was medium but mostly fast.  The drums were extremely active and there was a lot of improvisation from many instruments.  The saxophone, bass, and drums came alive in this song.  The Latin influence was obvious. It involved other instruments that sounded like a possible cowbell, timbale, and other percussion instruments. It had a big band feel opposed to the other two songs.  I felt like this was jazzier then the other two as well.

sebastian8659
Novice

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 14, 2010, 09:18:29 pm »

We have listen to other in class critiques but nothing like this one, lots of modern things more variarity of styles and a lot more rhythms I could relate to.
Starting by “new shoes” (Marc Russo and Russell Ferante) this song was very sporty it sounded kind of mysterious like something you would hear in the action movies and it was something very modern so you could get to identify the instruments much easier some parts through the song there was a trumpet solo that made it very energetic.
The second song I listen to was “Portrait of Tracy” (Jaco Pastorious) this song was the total opposite to “new shoes” because it was much slower it was very boring something that sounded not well improvised there was solos of a trumpet and a piano but it sounded like the player was just pretty much playing anything they wanted at a very slow pace.
The last song I listen to was “Latin Dance” and to me it was my favorite, it sounded a lot like salsa and it was something that could be dance not like “Portrait of Tracy” this was very energetic it makes you move by just hearing at it. The song was very fast and it featured lots of instruments such as different kind of drums, trumpets, guitars and I believe there was a piano thing song made feel comfortable since I am latin and this is something I could relate to and learning that latin music had something to do with jazz was new to me.
Aracelly9082
Novice

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 14, 2010, 11:41:01 pm »

New Shoes

The keyboard added an element of industrial, new rock, avant-garde.  The tempo is medium, the alto saxophone and keyboard gives the song an intro to an old show feel, for example Miami Vice.  The bass is a walking bass line and the drums have the same steady beat.  The saxophone is on the improvisation.  The music does not make me feel anything; I do not particularly like this song only because no particular instrument stands out to me.

Portrait of Tracy

This song has a very slow tempo.  This music makes me feel happy. It has a very dark, emotional, and eclectic feel to it. I love this song and its instrumentation flow. It has natural harmonics, giving it a dreamy, unfamiliar tone. The only instrument in this song is the bass.

Latin Dance

This song has a medium tempo. I like the use of percussion, it is a very fun instrument to listen to, and it gives the song an upbeat feel to it.  All instruments are harmonious with the tenor saxophone on improvisation. It has a jazz feel to it. I do not like it because it is very Latin with a feel of jazz to it. I particularly do not like the sound of a keyboard in this song.  I do like the crescendo of the saxophones and the build up of instruments right before the percussion solo. The only good thing about this song is the percussion solo.  It is a very long song.
Byron0058
Novice

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 15, 2010, 06:23:09 am »

In the last in-class concert in Mr. Wuttke class we listen to three pieces. The first song was New Shoes by Marc Russo and Russell Ferante performed by the Yellowjackets with Russell Ferante on keyboards, Jimmy Haslip on Bass, Ricky Lawson on drums and Marc Russo on alto saxophone. This piece was in a fast tempo with the drums keeping the beat. I like this song the most because It has a funk feel to it and the keyboard and Bass played a melody that sounded like it came from the Super Mario games I use to play when I was younger. There was an improvisation by the saxophone player that sounded bright in sound and it sounded like he was trying to sing his part. It also sounds like 80’s music to me.  The second song in the concert was Portrait of Tracy by Jaco Pastorious performed by Jaso Pastorious on electric Bass. This song was in a slow melody and was played softly. This was the piece that I liked least from all three concerts because it was very repetoyive, boring and he never changed the tempo at all. The last piece in the concert was Latin Dance by Bob Mintzer performed by Bob Mintzer Big Band and the soloist are Bob Mintzer on tenor saxophone, Peter Yellin on alto saxophone and Frankie Malabe on percussion. This song is in a fast melody with a Latin jazz feel to it. There is a nice saxophone play and there is a cowbell, hand drum and piano being played. There is saxophone improvisation where the trumpets and electric bass answer the soloist.
Eric5279
Composer (15 points)

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 15, 2010, 07:41:42 am »

New shoes:
This song had a very modern feel to it. It was the beginning that really reminded me of good old rock and roll. It is no wonder why rock and roll is the next upcoming genre. It is really unlike something we have heard before in this class. The keyboard is definitely playing great giving it more of a concerto feel. They have an unmistakable electric sound. The tempo seems to be medium. Moving from slow and uprising frequently.
Portrait of Tracy: It is this song that I see bass in a new light. It was a soft yet deep sound. It is a very moving piece. Although, it was pretty dull I appreciated it to the fullest. It is truly a beautiful song. It reminds me of a man who is playing because his heart is broken. This is a very touching and moving piece. It really makes you stop and take note of your beautiful surroundings. I can clearly hear the bass guitar and I love it. It seems almost simple but a masterpiece! Latin Dance:By far, my absolute favorite! I enjoy listening to any Latin music or anything with a Latin feel, so this hit home for me. I couldn’t really tell what it was in the beginning but I caught on. It sounds like a band that would be playing in bayside or somewhere on an island. Very happy and enjoyable feel to it. I would say it is almost a fast tempo and surely nothing traditional. I was a little surprised this would be considered jazz. It all sounded great music is for everyone to enjoy in one shape or form    Grin
pablo7210
Novice

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 15, 2010, 11:53:56 am »

Last class once again I enjoyed listening to all three songs. It is because now that I got to now more about this type of music which I found very interesting. The one I enjoyed the most was New shoes by Marc Russo & Russell Ferante. Fast tempo and loud trumpets make this music very appreciate by dancers and I’m one of them. Trumpet and bass are the most instruments used on this song. The melody made me feel hipper  as it was getting better. I noticed some trumpet improvisation which was a great performance. Also, the drums have the same steady beat. This was one  favorite songs because of the tempo, melody and the instrument played perfect.

Latin dance by Bob Mintzer also caught my attention. Just by listening you can conclude it is a big orchestra playing. I like this song because the tempo is fast and I found the melody very tropical. I saw myself at the beach with a margarita when listening this song. Trump and Saxophone were the two instruments I listen the most. Tempo gets faster and saxophone improvisation appears. I also notice an amazing piano player in the back.. Tempo tends to get slow during piano paying but gets fast again. The best moment is when all instruments played at the same time. The drums are amazing and the song finish whit slow tempo.

I really enjoyed these two songs as we went  over the history of them. These were my two favorite songs as I feel them very danceable.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
  Print  

Jump to: