The Student Lounge
July 12, 2020, 05:38:47 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: All posts and revisions must be completed on or before 6:00 am on July 31st. NO EXCEPTIONS.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]
  Print  
Author Topic: In-Class Critique #2  (Read 36397 times)
Daniell4032
Novice

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: May 25, 2010, 09:01:57 pm »

Today in we listened to Manteca by Dizzy Gillespie in class and I must say out of all the songs in the program tonight I felt this one was the only one that made me want to get up and dance in front of the class. It’s funny how power full a song can be that will change your mood and make you want to do things you would normally not do. It was a transfer of energy from a recording by Dizzy Gillespie music right to my soul. The music was moderately fast and had a swing feel to it. There were several instruments that stood out and made their presence known in the song. I could distinctly remember the trumpet as one of the loudest. The trumpet player had superb improvisational skills that could not be overpowered not even by the drums and could be called a musical genius.  The drummer played an important role in keeping the rhythm with the cymbals and also had a solo near the end with the trumpet player that began to fade then climatically came back. I could tell that the song had a recurring theme and came back to play the main idea often. I would love to have heard this peace with better sound equipment or live if possible because II think this would have been an amazing experience to have heard this with the energy and feel the audience would be reciprocating back to the musicians.
Rafael1292
Novice

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 25, 2010, 09:36:04 pm »

Today's concert was more enjoyable for me than the last. Even though this set of songs are still pretty old, they still seem to share more in common with modern popular music than the ones I have heard previously.  Manteca has to be one of my favorite pieces.
   Listening to Manteca I was reminded of growing up in Cuba and listening to such Latin Jazz musicians as Chucho Valdez. The music is upbeat, tropical and has the Afro-Cuban roots most of the music I am very familiar with has. I really enjoyed all the saxophone improvisation on it and how everything falls perfectly back into place when the improvisation sections end.
   The other two pieces I really enjoyed were Stormy Weather and Mubles. I thought Mubles was a great piece, very creative and original. I really enjoyed how instead of using his voice as a way to present a clear message he chooses to use his voice as one more instrument and that way letting the listener be the one who interprets more of the feel of the song rather than its clear meaning. I think music is such a great way to make people feel different things that sometimes the most vague songs end up being the best ones because everyone can interpret them in a way they can relate to it, rather than letting the singer tells you exactly what the song is about. It might end up being about something you don’t really feel anything for.
Jaime2056
Novice

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 25, 2010, 10:07:52 pm »

Billie's Bounce

The song begins with a nice piano melody, and then quickly changes to an upbeat tempo swing feel. In the beginning it seems to be be-bop because of the fast tempo, but then begins to sounds more like the blues.  This song had both type, I will said the blues part (the saxophone player) sounded like the verse because of the improvisation feel, and then the catching upbeat melody sounded like the chorus.  Didn’t heard much of the drums, what I did heard was the ride throughout the whole song and then the snare a couple times. Overall, I enjoy the tune, especially the small up-tempo bar, kind of sound like a section from In the Mood by Glenn Miller Orchestra

Stormy Weather

The song has a slow tempo, it definitely the blues with a form of A-A-B-A. The vocalist is telling a story of how she is feeling after the breakup and how miserable it’s been since they have not been together.  Her voice is very beautiful; without doubt singing with passion one can just close their eyes and feel her sorrow all through the song. Overall, this song is relaxing besides being a heartbreaker.  Since I’m one to enjoy the slower jam, this is one I will certainly add to my playlist. 

Mumbles

The first thing that comes to my mind was, “Huh, what is he saying” Huh Huh.  This song was different from anything I heard before, but then I came to conclude that this song was not to be understood but to be danced. With a fast up-beat tempo, you can make up your own lyrics and just boogie to this Be-Bop rhythm. The introduction was tremendous, loved the piano section. The drums seem to be using the Polyrhythm technique. Overall, this had to be a crowd favorite. I seen many people in class tapping their hand and feet to this masterpiece, I love the song it was absolutely creative and well composed.  Grin
Marguerite9222
Songwriter (10 points)

For me, music and life are all about style-M Davis

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 26, 2010, 02:24:49 pm »

In Class Critique 2:
The Program Prof. Wuttke presented in class was varied and interesting to listen and learn. The first selection, Billie’s Bounce by Charlie Parker had a nice intro with a lively sound of Charlie on the Alto Sax and Miles Davis on the trumpet. It had a medium tempo like dancing a slow swing. I heard an AAB, then, what seemed to be a C with some improvisation and solos on the trumpet and sax and then back to the AA. My favorite was the blues sung by Billie Holiday in Stormy Weather by Harold Arlen. I really enjoy the feeling in her voice, her inflection on the word 'weather'. She bares her soul out about her man, his drinking problem and then the sadness symbolized by constant rain. The instruments most outstanding for me were in the intro and throughout the piece were the piano and the talking trumpet with the muter. Manteca by Dizzy Gillespie, I found to be a mixture of African-Cuban Big Band Bebop. The arrangement was excellent, the tempo fast and I heard an ABAB form. It made me want to put on my dancing shoes, especially so, after hearing the bongo and drum solos. I thought the piece was quite unique in its mixture of sounds. The selection, Rocks in my Bed by Duke Ellington was also a Blue. I did not enjoy Ivy Anderson’s voice as much as I did Billie’s. She also sang of sadness about her man leaving and people picking on her. It must be painful and very sad in feeling as if having rocks in your bed. The tempo is slow and the intro starts with a loud Soprano Sax. At first I thought it was a Clarinet by the manner in which it is played. Mumbles by Clark Terry was very unique but the least of my favorites tonight.
joanna8291
Novice

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 26, 2010, 08:46:33 pm »

My favorite song was Stormy weather mainly because I absolutely love Billie Holiday. The interesting thing about this song in particular is that there are no drums. The only real steady instrument holding any kind of beat down is the string bass. It carries the classic (jazz speaking) walking bass line and plays quietly in the background. The tempo in itself is smooth and quite slow. I thought it to be very romantic and relaxing. Billie’s voice never ceases to woo me. The trumpet was a nice ornamentation and was like the second voice or the counter-like voice that played around with whatever was previously sung. Overall I loved this song and hope to continue to hear Billie Holiday.
As for the song Mumbles, I liked it as a whole but the scatting was almost obnoxious in my opinion. The breaks in the song were a little different from the jazz songs we’ve heard so far. But next time I hope to hear some real words! I really liked the song Manteca. The drum introduction was nice but my favorite part about it was the almost Latin feel to it. It was unlike any other jazz I had heard. I think the drummer played the ride cymbal? I’m not sure but I think that added to the different sounding jazz. The drum solo actually almost seemed non-jazzy (again tying to the new sounding jazz). Rocks in my bed was nice and my favorite kind of jazz…slow jazz. The clarinet solo was cool because he did that pitch bend which added a new musicality to the song.

Joanna Villa
Tiesha7814
Master Musician (20 points)

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 27, 2010, 01:15:55 pm »

I surprisingly enjoyed all five pieces that we heard and I only say surprisingly because sometimes it can be hard to enjoy music that you would never really listen to on your own. My favorite piece from our second in class listening would have to be “Stormy Weather”.  The song did have a sad and gloomy feel to it slow in tempo with the soft sounds of the piano. I enjoyed the piece itself but mostly because vocally I LOVE Billie Holiday! She’s such an emotional singer meaning she does not just sing to sing but literally makes you feel every note. I enjoy singing myself so I love to hear passionate singers both past and present. One thing I enjoy most about the vocalists during this era is that most of the time the lyrics are actually telling a story whether its comical or in this case somewhat sad we’re listening to their life experiences during that time or point in their life which in some cases may be very similar to the many things we experience in these days in time. With that being said it would be needless to say that “Rocks in my Bed” (from “Jump for Joy”) was another one of my favorite pieces.  The vocalist Ivy Anderson clearly painted a picture of a bad relationship during that time and who hasn’t had a few Rocks in their Bed at one point or another lol. This was also another blues feel with the drums keeping the steady beat. I can actually picture this being sang in a smokey night club not too many people but just enough to create a very relaxing atmosphere with a few drinks to wash the sorrows away.  Smiley
pablo4856
Novice

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 01, 2010, 09:39:15 am »

In Class Critiques:
Billie’s Bounce:  This sounds like Jazz to me, this is also a mid-tempo music; not too fast, not too slow.  There are a lot of solos coming from the trumpet and Clarinet.  Personally I like the solos from the trumpet.  I notice a couple of trumpets playing at the same time as well.  This music makes me feel at ease.  This is something you would listen to while you are cruising around town.

Stormy Weather:   This is music is blues.  It has a really slow tempo, which gives a very calm feeling.  The piano and the bass have a steady pace the whole time.  This music inspires romance.  I would really enjoy listening to this with my loved one.  Very romantic and mood setting music!!

Manteca:  This music is Jazz.  But it had me confused at first, because part of it sounds like early salsa music.  I am big on Spanish music, and out of the whole selection, Manteca was the song that I could relate to the most.  This selection handles a lot of trumpets, the drummer get to enjoy and show off his solo as well.  In the slight background you can hear a couple of saxophone players in the back.  This music gives me the feeling of wanting to explore something out there. 

Rocks in my bed:  This is Blues music.  It has a semi slow tempo. Through the whole song the pianist keep a steady pace.    The piano and the trumpet are the two instruments that come out the most.   This music gives the feeling of a love story being tell, its giving a good flow and easy to listen to. 

Mumbles:    This is Jazz music, which at first it made me confuse it with Swing.  It has a fast tempo.  The drummer does a good job at setting a steady pace.  I think most of the instrument goes off the drummers beat.   This is up-beating music.  Makes you happy and want to get up and dance!!  It is really hard to understand what the guy is singing though!!!
Carol4206
Novice

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: June 17, 2010, 06:28:10 pm »

Critique #2:

The songs that I heard in the in-class concert today were different. The song Billie’s Bounce was pretty good. I really liked the beat. It wasn’t too slow or too soft. The second song played was Stormy Weather, this song I also liked. The tempo was slow and it really fit the mood I was in at the moment (tired, wanting to relax.) The song was very mellow and it was actually relaxing me. The third song, Manteca, was my favorite one! I absolutely loved it. The rhythm was very nice. It sounded kind of “Latin.” But the best part was that it was a video and not just the song playing. When I just hear the songs are all in my imagination. I have to picture how the musicians are, standing or sitting, imagine the setting. This time it was different though, the video made it so much more eye catching. I focused on the beat and enjoying the music instead of trying to imagine it all in my head. The fourth song, Rocks in my bed, wasn’t too cool.  The tempo was certainly steady, medium. What I didn’t like was the lyrics, it wasn’t exactly my favorite, but what I did enjoy out of the piece was the piano. The fifth and last song was Mumbles. I guess all I can say about that one is, WHAT? I couldn’t understand a word he was singing. I completely understand why it’s name Mumbles, that’s all I heard, a man mumbling. 
david4236
Master Musician (20 points)

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: June 17, 2010, 06:43:04 pm »

Billie's Bounce – Charlie Parker

I thought that this was a pretty good song. It had a medium tempo and the bass helped to keep the beat. Charlie Parker's work on the alto saxophone and Miles Davis' work on the trumpet was excellent and I enjoyed the parts of the song in which they both played at the same time. In the background of the song I could hear the piano giving accompaniment to both Charlie Parker and Miles Davis.

Stormy Weather – Harold Arlen

I greatly enjoyed Billie Holiday's vocals in this song, she really has a great voice. The song has a slow and steady tempo, the rhythm being kept by the bass. The song sounded very sad and gloomy because of the tone set by the lyrics. Otherwise I liked the song.

Manteca – Dizzy Gillespie

This song has a very exciting tone to it. It was one of those Big Band songs that was made for dancing. I loved the drums, and I liked the medium to fast pace of the song. I also thought that the two saxophonists playing together was great. Also another song with sad lyrics. Overall, I enjoyed this song quite a bit.

Rocks in my Bed – Duke Ellington

Yet another piece with a great vocalist, I really enjoyed Ivy Anderson's singing in this song. The song had a steady beat that was kept by the drums.

Mumbles – Clark Terry

I didn't understand a word of it, but I liked it.

O==={;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;>
Yaidelyn7294
Songwriter (10 points)

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: June 18, 2010, 06:17:03 am »

I couldn’t agree more with david4236 in the song Manteca the saxophonist were great. Mumbles – Clark Terry was not understood but very funny and happy.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]
  Print  

Jump to: