The Student Lounge
December 13, 2019, 05:12:02 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: THE FORUMS ARE CLOSED.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
  Print  
Author Topic: In-Class Critique #3  (Read 30477 times)
Brian C. Wuttke
Administrator
Musical Legend

View Profile WWW
« on: May 10, 2010, 07:34:34 am »

Post your 3rd In-Class Critique here by clicking on the "reply" tab.

I taught it, but did they learn?
raul1943
Afficionado (5 points)

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2010, 05:04:35 pm »

New shoes:

The form is for sure a jazz. But a lot more modern and new sounding. It feels like im listening to the intro to the show Full House. The tempo is kinda relaxed but at the same time its up beat. Difficult to explain, but its a perfect speed of tempo. Not to fast but not too slow. Other instruments that you can hear in the selection is the saxophone and a heavy electric guitar as well as the key board. the music makes me feel good, makes me want to open up a beer and relax! I enjoy this selection very much, especially the sax going crazy towards the end. The drums and guitar worked well together to keep the tempo.

Portrait of Tracy:

I cant really figure out the type of music that this is. If anything i would have to say Jazz because it is completely a bass selection. The tempo is very relaxed but not make you want to fall asleep relaxed. There are no other instruments featured int his selection other than that bass guitar. the music made feel good. wasnt bad at all and i enjoyed it.

Latin Dance:

I cant pin down what kinda of music this is either. I do enjoy it very much. Reminds me again of an intro to a show from the 1980s. The tempo is upbeat and makes youw ant to tap your toes to the percussions going on. Other than the percussions you can hear the saxophones going off. The music make sme feel happy and i am truly enjoying the selection. When the first Sax does its solo its a very nice and enjoyable surprise.
shirley9932
Songwriter (10 points)

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2010, 01:06:29 pm »

Critique # 3
New shoes
This piece was my absolute favorite. I loved the combination of the saxophone, bass, drums and keyboards. It had a jazzy/electric feel to it. The introduction started off with a medium tempo and as the song progressed the saxophone made the pitch go up and the tempo speed up. The beat was pretty consistent with a little bit of improvisation. It kind of reminded me of a Michael Jackson song because the tune was very catchy, upbeat and left a lasting impression on me.

Portrait of Tracy
This piece was too dull for me. The tempo was too slow for my taste and the combination of the electric bass and piano didn’t sound complete. I felt like it was missing something. It didn’t move me like previous pieces because I like to hear something catchier with more instruments or with a steady beat that appeals to my senses.

Latin Dance   
This piece had a lot going on in it with the piano, saxophones, bass and drums. The tempo was fast with a combination of jazz and a Hispanic salsa groove to it. Some parts of the song were a little slower, especially towards the end where it sounds like they are hitting the drums with their hands.  The saxophone hits some pretty high pitches which pick up the speed throughout this song. Overall, I really enjoyed this piece, it’s really dance worthy and moving. The only thing I would change is the length of it because it’s too long. When I thought it was over, the song kept playing so that’s the only thing I would improve about this piece. Overall, it’s great!
Brian3534
Afficionado (5 points)

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2010, 01:36:55 pm »

New Shoes:
The first thing that came to mind when listening to this piece was the 1980's Eddie Murphy movie "Beverly Hills Cop". That being said, this is also the first selection we've heard that has incorporated electric bass into the ensemble. Synthesizers and keyboards were also notable, as they replaced the piano in this number. What was interesting to me was that it sounded like the band followed standard AABA form, but also mixed a 12 bar blues and emphasized the second and fourth beats of each measure. The slap bass was fun, and the sax solo was intense throughout.

Portrait of Tracy:
I really liked the use of artificial harmonics that sustained while the melodious bassline was played. This piece was a relaxing solo to listen to, with a chord progression to match. There were a couple of dissonant harmonics played about halfway through that were difficult to listen to, but I enjoyed the repetetive chorus that made this tune recognizable.

Latin Dance:
This piece was similar to the first song as it had a modern feel. It was played big band style with a Latin feel. Standard form was used, and call and response type solos were utilized. This example of fusion (big band and Latin) wasn't my favorite, but it was energetic.
Linda7814
Afficionado (5 points)

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2010, 03:24:33 pm »

Each musical piece that was presented had a different and unique style. Some of them you could easily tell if it was Jazz but some sound like it’s from a new era of music. The first piece was New Shoes performed by the Yellowjackets. It was clear that this was Free Jazz, which was upbeat and it kind of reminded me of an 80-90’s movie called Mannequin, while the guy is taking the girl mannequin on a joy ride in town. You can hear more of the drums even though the alto sax went into different octaves along with the Keyboard. I would find this music a bit difficult to dance to but more to jive or snap my finger to. I have to admit this song put me in a good mood even with the bad weather outside. Portrait of Tracy composed by Jaco Pastorius was sad sound and slow tempo. There was not saxophone or trumpet so I’m not sure what style it may have been. Also this song sounded like you would hear this either in the elevator or waiting for the next representative. I wasn’t sure what if this music was an ABAA form. Finally, Latin Dance performed by Bob Mintzer Big Band was another musical piece that I couldn’t really tell what style but I could hear the ABAA form. It was clear that this style of music was upbeat and I could either dance salsa or listen to it to enjoy the upbeat tempo. I can picture myself on a cruise to either the Bahamas or Caribbean relaxing. The Saxophones had many dynamics through out the music and improvisation so this might be in my point of view jazz.

Linda Alvarez
pablo4856
Novice

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2010, 09:30:31 pm »

IN CLASS CRITIQUE #3
NEW SHOE…. MARC RUSSO & RUSSEL FERANTE- This music sound like cool Jazz to me.  This song has a mid-tempo to it.  It also has a smooth feeling to it.  I notice that the electric guitar stands out a lot on the song.  And through the middle of the song the saxophone came out as well.  The beat of the drums have a steady beat to it.  This music gets me in a mood that makes you focus.  It makes me feel like I could accomplish a goal and not get stressed while I am working on it.  Personally, I believe this music is average… but it is not the best I’ve heard. 
PORTRAIT TRACY…. JACO PASTORIOUS- This music has a very interesting with the guitar which starts playing odd notes and at about 30 seconds into the song it plays a steady beat which is also followed by the piano.  I also notice through the song that this music plays a couple of melodies that nowadays are in Hip-Hop.  This band ended the song with a really nice beat.  This music is more of my taste than “New Shoe.”
LATIN DANCE…..  BOB MINTZER- This music sound like a type of mambo to me.  I enjoy the nice trumpet melodies in the intro of the song.   The timbale in the song gives the whole sound a good flow. The saxophone has a smooth melody to it.  When I listen to this music I can feel that the instrument players are really enjoying playing this tasteful music.  This is definitely my favorite type of music. 
Merylin7403
Novice

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2010, 08:44:39 am »

“New Shoes”
Love the Beginning, hard beat with no specific rhythm. Although, the drums and keyboard carry the melody of this song, they are following the saxophone throughout its solo as well. Sounds like the sound of Mario Bro.’s when it’s the castle level. It progressively got a bit calmer and smoother; the musicians don’t really loose the chord strikes and dissonance is what I hear. The saxophone is on its own improvisation the bass, drums and keyboard still keep beat. The musicians give each instrument its own time to improvise and the drum and bass still keeping beat. I loved this song it was very different type of jazz.

“Portrait of Tracy”
   The bass starts out almost as if it is telling a story. Some chords he lets ride others he cuts short to tell that story. This song has a mystical sound completely intriguing; it makes me feel like using it for a dance piece to portray my story version of this song.

“Latin Dance”
   This song reminds me of a Spanish fame show on Television. The “Big Band” sound of course making it very entertaining to hear. So many different instruments working together making it the same as a back and forth of beat tossing. Carrying the Avant-garde feel to it reminds me of salsa and how it probably came from this style of music. I loved the musical selection it used a variety of instruments and different saxophones to show in their improve as well as the percussion.
Caitlin0337
Master Musician (20 points)

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2010, 02:50:00 pm »

New shoes:
First of all, I love the title! This song had a very modern feel to it. It was the beginning that really reminded me of good old rock and roll. It is no wonder why rock and roll is the next upcoming genre. It is really unlike something we have heard before in this class. The keyboard is definitely playing great giving it more of a concerto feel. They have an unmistakable electric sound. The tempo seems to be medium. Moving from slow and uprising frequently. Overall, neat sound, one to make anyone have fun.

Portrait of Tracy:
It is this song that I see bass in a new light. It was a soft yet deep sound. It is a very moving piece. Although, it was pretty dull I appreciated it to the fullest. It is truly a beautiful song. It reminds me of a man who is playing because his heart is broken. This is a very touching and moving piece. It really makes you stop and take note of your beautiful surroundings. I can clearly hear the bass guitar and I love it. It seems almost simple but a masterpiece!

Latin Dance:
By far, my absolute favorite! I enjoy listening to any Latin music or anything with a Latin feel, so this hit home for me. I couldn’t really tell what it was in the beginning but I caught on. It sounds like a band that would be playing in bayside or somewhere on an island. Very happy and enjoyable feel to it. I would say it is almost a fast tempo and surely nothing traditional. I was a little surprised this would be considered jazz. In any case, I loved the music.
Anabella5523

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2010, 07:54:26 pm »

Last class, we had another great concert. I particularly enjoyed the first song, “New Shoes,” performed by the Yellow Jackets. I tried to follow the song and get the form but it was quite difficult. I think it has the AABA form in some parts, but in others it hasn’t, it’s like it has a combination of forms from different styles. Although I am not sure about the form, I am sure this is modern jazz, and the style is Jazz Fusion, since I perceived components belonging to Rock (heavy drumming activity, the use of electric instruments, like an electric bass and maybe amplifiers) and Jazz as well. Also, it has a nice medium tempo. Other than an electric bass and drums (comping, keeping the tempo and playing a steady beat), we hear a keyboard (replacing the classic jazz piano) and an alto saxophone, which has the soloist role and performs some improvisations during the piece. I truly enjoyed this song; it encourages me to stand up and dance, to do things, it gives me energy. My favorite instrument is the saxophone but I enjoyed the keyboard as well, and I also think the title song is pretty funny!

The second song we listened to was “Portrait of Tracy” by Jaco Pastorius.  This is also modern jazz, and I think is also Jazz Fusion. The electric bass performance is the most important component of this piece. I have to admit it has a tone I think I never heard before, very smooth, relaxed, and melancholic. The tempo is really slow, and there was not saxophone or trumpets (I don’t like this since I think the saxophone is a key component in jazz). This piece made me feel sad. It’s not the type of music I would like to hear in normal days, but if someday I want to sleep fast, this song will help me for sure  Grin

The last musical selection we listened to was “Latin Dance” by Bob Mintzer Big Band. I am not sure about the form, but the style is definitely jazz fusion because it has elements from both jazz and Latin music. It has a happy medium-fast tempo, which immediately made me want to tap my feet and get ready to dance! Other than bass and very active drums, we listened to saxophones and piano. You can tell there is a lot going on and there is also improvisation from most or all the instruments. This song also makes me feel happy and gives me a lot of energy. It’s by far my favorite song of this selection, and it’s a great choice to close this concert series.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2010, 07:56:01 pm by Anabella5523 » Logged

"Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and life to everything."
david4236

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2010, 08:33:07 pm »

New Shoes – Marc Russo & Russell Ferante:
   I liked this song. While I was listening to it, it felt like the song belonged at the opening of a movie taking place in New York City. I liked how much energy was in the song and I loved the saxophone. At the beginning the song started off at a medium tempo but as time passed the tempo got faster with more improvisation from the saxophone. The guitar and drums did a  good job at keeping the song flowing smoothly.

Portrait of Tracy - Jaco Pastorius:
   This song was very enjoyable to me. It made me feel relaxed and I found it to be a very calming song, the kind of song that you listen to when you've had a stressful day and you just want to sit back and do a lot of nothing for a while. The tempo of the song was slow and it had a steady beat. The song was also atonal with not that much form. I liked the sound of the electric bass. In the end, and in my opinion, a good song.

Latin Dance – Bob Mintzer:
   Having lived in Miami most of my life, I have heard a lot of music like this. Other than the title of the song, its very obvious that this song was meant to be danced to. The song went between and medium and a fast tempo and, like New Shoes, had a lot of energy. I enjoyed it.

O==={;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;>
leah8536
Afficionado (5 points)

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2010, 08:54:55 pm »

New Shoes by Marc Russo & Russel Ferante sounds like a fusion between rock and jazz. The elements of rock that I picked up are; the repetoyious drumming, the electric bass guitar and keyboard, and the short phrases. The emphasis on the saxophone brought me back to the jazz feel. The tempo is kind of in the middle; not to fast and not to slow. I appreciate the funk the songs has, however; It's not quite my taste. It sounds a little to much like late 80's early 90's pop.

Latin Dance by Bob Mintzer is a wonderful Latin Jazz piece. It's fast tempo and sultry swing feel make it hard to stay in place when hearing it. The Latin elements that were most obvious to me were the cowbells, timbale's, and the loud trumpet. The piano playing allows the song to have that swinging feel. The saxophone is supported by the trumpet as it improvises. Later on, the same support system is shown between the timbale's and cowbell acting as an accompaniment to the piano as it completes it's solo. The piano solo is my favorite part; it shows the real groove. As the song progresses, the tempo picks up and the beat hits you harder. This makes the feel of the song significantly stronger than expected. When I heard it the first thing that came to mind was sexiness and salsa. I think the song would be categorized as Bebop. Based on my response, I can safely say this piece was my favorite.  Wink
Farrah9156
Novice

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2010, 10:23:46 pm »

New shoes:
This song sounds like music introducing the 80s. I like the song because it’s a very hip song and its very motivated. I can actually hymn to the melody to the song, because with the past selections in class played, it’s very hard to hymn to a song you hear once when the style of music back then was played like if it was basically freestyle. This song is absolutely considered jazz, but with a touch of a funk. I think the saxophone help a lot to bring the music out. The form of the music was well organized because it helps the listener understand it.

Portrait of Tracy:
The intro of this song sounds very familiar to a hip-hop song I know, but I can’t remember the name. But this section was very short and mellow, I believe what made it sound this way, was the electric bass. While listening to this song I felt like if we were in the 90s era. It also sounds like a music written by a man in order to conquer a ladies heart.

Latin dance:
This song sounds great, I guess since it's performed in a big band. What I’ve notice in big band music, is that its way more fun to listen to and makes anyone what to get up and dance. The title suits the song because it has a large beat and the rhythm is super fast, and Latin dance style is fast movement and swing. This song has a couple of swing style incorporated. The drums were played amazing.
Laurie0427
Afficionado (5 points)

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2010, 10:26:17 am »

The Music we listened to in this last class was interesting.  I  liked two of the three songs but wasn’t as impressed as I was in the earlier periods.  “New Shoes” by Marc Russo and Russell Ferante starts out with a good bass sound then the piano and saxophone comes in and gets you into the music.  It had a nice jazzy feel to it but also a more modern feel.  The bass and drums keep a good beat.  It also had a very electronic sound.  Kind of reminds me of music from the 80’s like a theme song for a tv show.  The other song I liked was “Latin Dance” by Bob Mintzer which had that Jazz Fusion sound.  This song had a very up beat tempo to it.  It also had a jazzy latin feel with a big band sound.  There heard repetoyious chord progressions.  The Saxophone solo was very good as well as the percussion solo.  I love the sounds of the percussion instruments coming together.  This song as I listened really made me feel like I was listening to a song from the love boat or something.  As for “Portrait of Tracy” by Jaco Pastorius, I was not impressed by this song.  It had a very slow tempo and was very mellow.  It was definitely not one of my favorite pieces because I was a little bored through it.  I must say I am a little traditional so when I heard a part of the song which had an atonal and dissonant sound it was a little hard to listen to.  The song did give you a sense of tension and suspense to it, but still not my favorite.  I must say that “New Shoes” and “Latin Dance” were my favorites.
rafael5762
Novice

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2010, 03:46:15 pm »

New shoes:

The form is for sure a jazz. But a lot more modern and new sounding. It feels like I’m listening to the intro to a show or movie of the 80’s like The Cosbey Show or even Full House. The tempo is kind of relaxed but at the same time its up beat. It not to fast nor too slow, it has the perfect combination of speeds to make it a special selection. There are other instruments that you can hear in the selection is the saxophone and a heavy electric guitar as well as the key board. The music made me feel good, relaxed. It made me want to be home watching TV having ice cream. The selection was good and enjoyable; the sax at the end went off going crazy and made the song have a cool and interesting ending. The drums and guitar worked well together to keep the tempo. This one is definitely one of my favorites so far. 

Portrait of Tracy:

I cant really figure out the type of music that this is. If anything I would have to say Jazz because it is completely a bass selection. The tempo was really slow and I did not enjoy it all that much. It brought a sad emotion with it.

Latin Dance:

I cant pin down what kind of music this is either. I do enjoy it very much. The tempo is upbeat and makes you want to tap your toes to the percussions going on. Other than the percussions you can hear the saxophones going off. The music makes me feel happy and I am truly enjoying the selection. This song could match up perfectly in a party scene where every one is enjoying their time and having drinks; you can see men trying to pick up ladies to take them to the dance floor. It creates a very happy environment.
Jay7705
Songwriter (10 points)

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2010, 04:34:17 pm »

New Shoes
This Piece was a mid-level tempo which the saxophone seemed to be the main instrument carrying the entire piece till the end the keyboard, bass and drums accompanied the sax to make the song flow very nicely.  This gave the song an electro type sound which made me feel good like something exciting was about to happen and it did when the improvisation kicked in.  If I were in the 80’s I would probably listen to this riding down to the beach in a red convertible.  What I liked about this piece it made me feel like I just finished a hard week of work and I can be stress free to enjoy the weekend.

Portrait of Tracy
This piece was a slow tempo and it reminded me of a movie where I can imagine a big shaggy dog walking around the house and trying to find some kind of trouble to get into while everyone else was in the backyard barbequing.  I didn’t really like because it was too slow and bored me I like to hear music that will entertain me and want to make me move.  I would probably listen to this when I’m trying to fall asleep and that’s about it.  Another then the drum and bass I heard the piano and electric bass that didn’t really sound good together but that’s just my opinion.

Latin Dance
Fast beat way more entertaining than the last piece.  I can imagine my grandfather and grandmother dancing to this at some event or party enjoying them self.  Other than the bass and drums I could hear the sax and trumpets.  Just because this song reminded me of my grandfather makes me enjoy it and I can also a ball room full of people enjoying the night to a piece like this.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
  Print  

Jump to: