The Student Lounge
December 13, 2019, 05:13:20 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: All posts and revisions must be completed on or before 6:00 am on July 31st. NO EXCEPTIONS.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
  Print  
Author Topic: In-Class Critique #2  (Read 33206 times)
Brian C. Wuttke
Administrator
Musical Legend

View Profile WWW
« on: May 10, 2010, 07:34:06 am »

Post your 2nd In-Class Critique here by clicking on the "reply" tab.

REMINDER: Your critique MUST be 250 words minimum to recieve credit.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2010, 01:20:33 pm by Brian C. Wuttke » Logged

I taught it, but did they learn?
raul1943
Afficionado (5 points)

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2010, 05:17:59 pm »

Billie's Bounce:

The form of and type of this music is Jazz. I liked the way the trumpets were playing together and the tempo was nice enought o tap your foot too. the bass was keeping the bass as the trumpet went and did what it does best. The music made me feel upbeat and happy. I enjoyed this piece.

Stormy Weather:

Stormy Weather is for sure a Blues song. The tempo of this selection is very slow and mellow. It meant to make u feel and listen to the words i feel. The base is playing in a nice tone, a couple hits a second not too fast. Other than the bass you can hear a trumpet answering and backing up the vocals. Sometimes imitating the words. Depending on the mood I am in I might like the song but i actually was not crazy about it.

Manteca:

The Style of music i think Manteca is be-bop. Not really sure but I love this song. Other than the drums and bass which are playing an important role in the song is the trumpet which are enhancing the tempo. Following the drums and bass keeping it fast and nice to dance too. i enjoyed this song.

Rocks in my bed:

This song is for sure a blues song. Its talking about sad stuff and keeping a mellow tempo. the low drum in the background is the one keeping the tempo and its about 1 beat a second. The bass is also playing niceliyw itht he tempo followed byt he flute which is kinda doing its own thing. I enjoyed this blues song. It was quicker than the first one.

Mumbles:

For sure this song is a be bop song. the fact that you cant understand the lyrics makes it fun and makes you want to just hum to it. you couldnt really hear the drums i just mostly heard the symbols and heard the bass going along with the tempo. easy to dance to or just tap your foot. I enjoyed the song very much.
maria2619
Afficionado (5 points)

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2010, 06:49:59 pm »

After listening to the in class music selections, I really enjoyed most of them for different reasons. For example in “Billie’s Bounce” You can really hear the drums very clearly and the tempo of this music was not high or low it was more in the middle, which was a nice change to the usual high or low tempo songs.  This song also had a very clear swing feel to it that made me feel like dancing. One of my favorite parts of the song was the trumpets solo it was clear and high. However in “ Stormy Weather” The song was a very low tempo with a blues feel to it.  This song was very sad and gloomy but still told a story, and used the term “Stormy Weather” to describe the sadness she felt. I really enjoyed the story Billy Holiday had to tell. And the piano complimented the song very well. In “Manteca” I only enjoyed some parts of it, the tempo is very upbeat with a high tempo. I enjoyed listening to the trumpet and saxophones solos. However I thought the drums solo was very slow compared to the rest of the song I didn’t think the drums complimented this song in a good way.

“Rocks In My Bed” was also a very slow tempo, blues song like “Stormy Weather” This song told a story as well which I did enjoy however I did not enjoy the trumpet having too many highs and lows and since the rest of the song was very melancholical I didn’t like the way it sounded. Last but not least “Mumbles” had a very clear swing feel to the song, fast tempo and fast vocals. Although you can’t understand what the vocalist is saying this song still makes you want to snap your fingers to it.           
shirley9932
Songwriter (10 points)

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2010, 09:05:38 am »

Critique # 2

Billie’s Bounce
The tempo for this piece wasn’t necessarily fast, or slow. It was kind of in between. Its beat was pretty steady, and had a slight swing feel to it. I don’t think it was fast enough for swing dancing though, but it’s definitely easy on the ears. The song seems to have a lot going on in it, with the combination of a little bit of everything consisting of the piano, trumpet, Saxophone, bass and drums. I specifically like the sound of the saxophone and the piano the best. I would say those are my two favorite instruments in jazz. Overall the piece was good, not my favorite, the tune of it was just kind of bland for me, I’ve heard better. The tune of it just wasn’t’ catchy enough for me.

Stormy Weather
Let me just start off by saying how I absolutely love Billie Holiday’s voice. It’s so distinct; there is no other voice like hers. This piece had a blues feel to it, definitely not something I would dance to. It’s easy listening with a gloomy tone to it. At the same time, this song is very relaxing with the combination of the piano and saxophone/trumpet. The beat stays consistent throughout the song and it reminds me of something I would hear in an old time classic music during a scene where the man leaves the woman and she is left with nothing but her tears on a rainy day. I would probably listen to this if my boyfriend and I broke up. The words and tune convey the emotions very well. I really liked this piece, though it reminds me of my grandparents kind of music, I can enjoy it too, since I have a taste for older music anyway.

Manteca
The drums and the trumpets along with the trombones really made this piece come to life.  It’s something I could dance to because it’s very moving. I love how the role of the drums kept the beat steady and consistent, and how the trumpets enhanced the tempo throughout, yet it still had the effect of making me want to keep dancing no matter how slower it got at some parts. Its tune was very catchy and was something I really enjoyed listening to.

Rocks in my Bed
I really enjoyed the saxophone in this piece. It was pretty consistent with a slow pace and higher tempos as it got more into the song. But the beat was steady and had a jazzy blues tune to it. The vocalist also had some high pitches through the song. I also enjoyed the piano mixed with the saxophone. Those two instruments combined always make a song for me. Overall it was a good piece, easy listening.

Mumbles
This piece was definitely upbeat with a Be-Bop feel to it. It was very moving and happy. I enjoyed the vocals consisting of mumbles and the piano. The tempo was fast and made me want to dance.
Caitlin0337
Master Musician (20 points)

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2010, 07:09:30 pm »

Billie's bounce:
 This song in particular reminds me of something I would hear at a nice little cafe or restaurant. It brings me back to the fancy restaurants my aunt would take me to when I was younger. We would sit down and have a wonderful mean; listening to the music that small band would be playing. The song seemed to have a medium tempo, which I prefer. It was not too overwhelming but still managed to keep me on my toes. Charlie Park and Miles David both do a phenomenal job and it really shows. Both of these incredible artists have a virtuoso appeal. The song flows well and sounds very romantic.

Stormy Weather:
Billie Holiday was a truly one of a kind voice. Her voice is filled with pain and struggle. It amazes me how she is singing about a bad situation and yet, her voice sounds as if she has a smile on her face. This overall has a soft tempo and is definitely relaxing. One line in her song that really struck me was the following: “If he stay's away, Ol' rocking chair will get me". I took this into a deep meaning that if her man is no longer in her life, it was as if she had no life anymore.

Manteca:
This certain song really made me feel like I was on an island. It was almost as if I had decided to take a weekend vacation to the Bahamas! The beginning of the sounds starts of drawing the audience right away. It has a very energetic and happy feel to the music. The particular piece really introduces you and shows you the talent in the song. I don't really hear a solo or any silence used in the music but it almost seemed modern. It has something that really stood out apart from all the songs we heard in the program.

Rocks in my bed:
In all honesty I thought it had a pretty catchy and ironic title. The quality we heard obviously did not sound too well but it starts off wonderful. I noticed it took awhile for the words to kick in. Ivy Anderson has very strong voice. I can definitely tell these musicians are attempting to imitate voices with the instruments. I can also tell when the hi-hat kicks in. Overall, the chorus I thought was very true and witty.

Mumbles:
Hence the name of the song. The scat singing caught me off guard. I really wasn’t expecting any scat singing yet. Also, glad it wasn't for an A in the class! There seems to be extremely complex piano skills. I can't seem to figure out where exactly are his hands and how are they making such wonderful sounds! He excels in his scat singing ability. I think he does a better job in this piece than the one we heard in class from the book.

Also, I wanted to mention that these artists are truly legacies. I appreciate all their talents, skills and gifted abilities.
Caitlin0337

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2010, 07:18:48 pm »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h4ZyuULy9zs

For you all that enoyed Billie Holiday's Stormy Weather:

This is another song by Billie Holiday that I think you all would enjoy.It is very sad but a touching song.

She is very passionate about what she is singing and it is very moving piece.
erik6864
Afficionado (5 points)

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2010, 06:35:39 am »

I think the first song “Billie’s Bounce” was played in the style of Blues and its tempo was medium, which was controlled by the bass and drums. This song, in which trumpets and piano were also utilized, made me feel good. “Stormy Weather”, which was the second song, was also a Blues, but this time the tempo was kind of slow. Once again, the bass and drums kept the tempo. Other instruments were used such as piano and trumpets.  In this song a vocalist appeared. Peaceful and relaxed were the feelings that came to me while I was listening to this song. “Manteca” was performed by big band in the style of Blues I think, in which its tempo was moderate. Trumpets, saxophones, trombones and the rhythm section were utilized, and three improvisations took place in the song, in which two of them were executed by saxophonists and the other one by the drummer. This song made me feel cheerful. “Rocks on my bed” was a nice slow song performed in the style of Blues, I guess.  To me, the best song of the program was “Mumbles”, which was kind of fast, so it made me feel like dancing. Also, in this song many instruments played, and I think trumpeters played muted trumpets because there was a vocalist who was imitated an instrument, so his or her voice needs to be heard.  The program was great, and this time I really enjoyed all the songs, probably because I could better distinguish the instruments and the role that they played in each song.
Jay7705
Songwriter (10 points)

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2010, 12:06:38 pm »

For the first piece Billie’s Bounce the tempo for this song was at about mid-tempo not to fast or not to slow. Other than the bass and drums I heard trumpets, piano, Saxophone and hi-hats that gave the piece a swing feeling.  This piece made me feel mellow and relaxed I would probably listen to this while on a long flight reclined back in my chair and closing my eyes. I liked this piece but it was border line because I like music that will hype me up and make me want to move around but it was still good to relax.

The second piece Stormy Weather was at a slow tempo which complemented the blues sound that it had.  It was really depressing and I didn’t like that about the piece because it didn’t really seem to relate to me and it was too slow.  It seems like a girl will play this song when something sad has happened to her or her family.  The voice of Billie Holiday sounded great on this track she really gave the song an edge but still not my type of music.

The Third piece Manteca was a fast tempo song with trumpets, trombones, pianos, and of course drums and bass.  The bass seemed like the center of the piece and carried the entire song threw and the drums gave it that little extra boost.  It seemed like the drums had improvisation at some points but I wasn’t really sure it came by a little fast.  It’s was definitely a piece you can get up and move to. I really enjoyed this piece just for the simple fact that you could get up and dance to the music when this song would play. 

The forth song Rocks in my Bed felt like I was listen to this right before I cut my wrists it was mid-tempo just like the second piece it was a little depressing and when the word were added it convinced me that this song wasn’t for me. I couldn’t really relate to it and caused me not to like it.  It definitely seemed had a blues tune to it where you can hear the piano and the saxophone.  I probably wouldn’t hear this piece again or it’s probably one of those songs where you have to listen to it enough to get used to.   

The final piece Mumbles was great I really enjoyed it because it made me laugh, I want to look up the lyrics just to see what the hell Oscar Peterson was saying.  The tempo was very fast but that was understandable because it needed to keep up with Oscar’s vocals.  This piece made me happy even though he could have been talking about jumping off a bridge and I wouldn’t have known it.  The beat was catchy and made me tap my feet.   
Brian3534
Afficionado (5 points)

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2010, 02:13:14 pm »

Billie's Bounce:
This was my favorite piece of the night, which actually featured Dizzy Gillespie who is more well known for his brilliancy on his mishapen trumpet (and huge cheeks Cheesy) than the piano that he played on this track. I would consider this to be more of a Swing song than Jazz, if only for the virtuosity shown by both Charlie Parker on the sax, and Miles Davis on the unmuted trumpet. It's a fun, medium tempo song that starts off with a simple stride style piano intro, and peaks with individual solo breaks from both the trumpet and sax. The drums carry the beat mainly on the ride and snare, with accented snare beats along the way. The outro was simple, with only a sustaining bass note.

Stormy Weather:
This ballad is far from Billie Holiday's best, but what's not to like about her voice on any track. Just the tone of her voice tells the true story of any song (no lyrics required). Her vibratos are brilliant, and easily recognizable. I like the vocalizing trumpet imitating Billie's vocals in almost a call and response fashion, while the piano solos throughout. I can almost hear the rain in her voice.

Manteca:
I liked the call and response type composition of this song, with alternating solos. What made it unique to me was that whole sections would alternate solos as opposed to single musicians. I had high hopes when I saw Dizzy Gillespie's name credited in the program, and I feel like this could have been a really good piece, but this band just didn't have it. It ended up being more of a collegiate level half time show performance than anything, but then again Dizzy's Dream Band set a pretty high bar for any big band.

Rocks in my Bed:
A beautiful ballad by Duke Ellington, this song starts off with a mood setting clarinet solo that ranges from very low to very high register notes. Ivy Anderson's vocals were very bluesy, as was the rest of the band. This had much more of a blues feel to it than the rest of the pieces we heard tonight.

Mumbles:
The stride style piano intro hinted at this fun, fast tempo song, but the true feel is revealed once Oscar Peterson starts to scat. I haven't heard this particular song before, but I can see now where Little Richard got some of his vocalizations from. The drums played polyrhythm style, and the quartet sounded great together, but the only real solo was played (sung) by the vocalist himself.

« Last Edit: May 21, 2010, 02:17:31 pm by Brian3534 » Logged
Ricardo2037
Novice

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2010, 01:25:25 pm »

The song I chose to write about was Stormy Weather. This type of music would be labeled as Jazz. As the song started off I noticed how this was one of those songs you just wanted to tap your feet to or just get up and dance if you could, it really had a swing type of feeling. Another thing that I really liked about this song was the playing of the trumpet I felt that in this song it was what kept the music alive. The drums in the music were excellent really on point and you could here them being played very clearly. The tempo in the song was a little different it was not slow but it was not fast either, it was more in the middle it gives you a type of change within the music. One of my favorite parts I would have to say was the ultimate solo with the trumpet, I mean the way that trumpet sounded I knew that was what real Jazz music was suppose to sound like just pure excellence I was dumb founded. What I realized though that this song was really trying to tell a story with the music being played and if you were to listen you would indeed find out just what that story was. Well after reviewing everything I would just have to say this was a great song and the entire jazz enthusiast should give this one a chance and listen I highly recommend it.
juan0877
Novice

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2010, 04:11:30 pm »

Mumbles is awesome, i mean he is actually mumbling.  I can’t understand I word he says but I love it.  It’s actually kind of tripping me out, a lot. The piano strides so gently and the bass walks behind it. The voice is like another instrument, wordless, incoherent but beautiful.  It starts off with only the piano and then when he starts singing, all the other instruments start playing.  There’s the drum the bass and the piano and I think that’s it. It is the sound of true and pure happiness
  Rocks in my bed is, I think, a blues song.  I feel like I am in Fallout (the game) right now.  A very sorrowful song, but the sorrow doesn’t last because it’s only three minutes.  It ended way too fast but it gets the point across. I hope rocks on my bed is a metaphor because if someone did that to me I’d be pissed, She’s sad, not pissed. I think I’m being just as incoherent as Clark terry right now. Sorry.
I’m weary all the time too; stormy weather is also kind of a blues song.  It is about 30 seconds more of sorrow than rocks in my bed. Billie holiday is one of the greatest singers ever. She sings as though that pain she is singing about is hers.  And reading about her life I can see how that is, her childhood sucked is what I’m saying. Plus she dies in her fortys. Slow tempo, weary and sad, a great song.

Anabella5523

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2010, 08:08:43 pm »

Last class we had another enjoyable and interesting concert. My favorite song was the first one, “Billie’s Bounce.” It has a nice medium tempo that gets slower towards the end of the song. Trumpets and saxophone have the soloist role, while the rhythm section includes the bass and drums (with the accompanist role). Both keep the tempo and the drums perform open high-hats. The pianist plays melody, also with the accompanist role, and the rhythmic feeling is really smooth. For these reasons, and the musicians’ instrumental proficiency, I think the style of this selection is Swing, and it has a nice lilting feeling as well, although I think it has some Blues influence too. I enjoyed very much this song. It made me feel happy. It is the type of musical piece I would like to hear while preparing myself to go to a party or a concert.

Next, we had “Stormy Weather.”  Bass and drums have the accompanist role and help in holding a slow tempo, and the song has the Blues style. I also listened to a trumpet soloist and a piano comping. This song is a classic, and Billie Holiday’s voice is lovely. I really like it because it tells a very emotional and sad story, and although it is melancholic, at the end it makes me smile.

We also had a video of the song “Manteca.” I think the style is Be-Bop because unlike Swing, it features the small combo, it sounds like modern jazz – with a tropical feeling as well -, it has a more complex improvisation from the soloists (trumpet and sax) and it has a fast tempo and a more agitated style than Swing. The bass stays in the background and the drums keep the steady beat, both accompanying the soloists. This song has a happy feeling but it’s not my style. Specifically, I like surprise and improvisation, but I think this song has too much of both things.

The next song we listened to was “Rocks in my Bed.” It tells a sad story and I think it has the Blues style. It also has a slow tempo and it’s melancholic. The drums are very low in the background accompanying the soloists and keeping a slow and steady beat. I also heard a walking bass, a trumpet, a sax, and a piano. I felt sad when I listened to this song. I didn’t like it; it’s too much sadness for me.

Last, we had “Mumbles.” It has a fast tempo and a virtuoso piano, and I think it has the Be-Bop style. Drums keep the fast rhythm, and a walking bass is heard in the background, both accompanying the soloists. This is a funny song; it made me smile a lot while I was listening to it. The singer mumbles all the time. I think he says a few English words and the rest is just mumbling!  
« Last Edit: May 23, 2010, 12:59:39 pm by Anabella5523 » Logged

"Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and life to everything."
Anabella5523

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2010, 08:10:44 pm »

For those of you who enjoyed "Mumbles" here is a video of Clark Terry singing it -.. it's even more funny if you look at him!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eJuFDvH8wGs
« Last Edit: May 22, 2010, 08:13:35 pm by Anabella5523 » Logged

"Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and life to everything."
Michelle8260
Novice

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2010, 11:18:08 am »

In comparison to the first critique that we had in class I was able to understand and follow along this one a lot more. I was able to recognize whether it was a swing style or more Blues. In “Billie’s Bounce” I recognized that it was more swing than the Blues. Some instruments I recognized were the piano, trumpets, and the use of the hi-hat on the drums. It also had a medium paced tempo. Next on the list came “Stormy Weather” and I really enjoyed it. It reflected the Blues in the fact that it was a slow tempo and had a ballad.  It included the piano and was very relaxing.
   “Manteca” had a fast-medium paced tempo. I identified the use of drums in the song. It is a swing song that was made for dancing. Also it included a big-band which made it swing. “Mumbles” was also a swing song. It used the hi-hat on a fast pace. This song was cool because I was trying to understand what Oscar was saying and all it did was make me laugh. The last song “Rocks in my Bed” was also Blues. It was slow paced had a clarinet and also a piano soloist. It also included a ballad which made it easier to identify it as the Blues. I also enjoyed this song a lot because it was slow and the sounds were amazing. I’ve noticed that I like songs that a slow paced and relaxing so to here that type of music in this class makes it all worth it.
 Smiley
Linda7814
Afficionado (5 points)

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2010, 11:29:09 am »

I enjoyed all five musical pieces. Each one was very unique and enjoyable styles of music. Billie’s Bounce composed by Charlie Parker, had a nice feel between the trumpet and alto saxophone. It was a pick-me up type of beat like swing because of the virtuosity of the two instruments and the complex notes that each solo had. Storm Weather was by Harold Arlen, this style was easy to point out that it was the Blues because Billie Holiday sang about a heart break. The tempo was slow and mellow. The only place that comes to my mind when listening to this song would be at a bar that has dim lights and limited of movements. I can just picture a broken-hearted man sitting at a bar stool talking to the bartender as he orders his drinks and spills his heart out about his woman that just let him go. I enjoyed this piece very much; Manteca composed by Dizzy Gillespie was a big band. This style was very easy to point out that it was swing and upbeat where people can dance. Just listening to it makes me forget all my problems and just dance the night away. This next section was easy to distinguish that it was the Blues. Rocks in My Bed (from “Jump for Joy”) composed by Duke Ellington, the instrumental potion sounded like a song for the evil Cruella De Vill in the movie of “101 Dalmatians”. Once Ivy Anderson starts singing it’s clear that she is talking about a bad relationship as she mentions the rocks in her bed many times through out the song, which I found very depressing.  This piece of music was very interesting, Mubles which was composed by Clark Terry. Even though I couldn’t understand what instrument Oscar Peterson was trying to compare to but the only guess that I could come up with was the trumpet because of its high pitch. I enjoy upbeat swing style more than the blues because the blues makes me feel depressed and think about a lot of issues that may be going on. Where as the swing is care free style that all you think about is dancing and forgetting about your problems.

Linda Alvarez
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
  Print  

Jump to: