The Student Lounge
July 12, 2020, 06:27:29 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Each listening critique must contain a minimum of 300 words to receive credit.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]
  Print  
Author Topic: In-Class Critique #1  (Read 54906 times)
Eric5279
Composer (15 points)

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: May 18, 2010, 01:42:19 pm »

Cotton Tail is a nice song with a very fast tempo. Very high energy  loud . For its time must of be one hell of a dance. As reading the book of conise  guide to Jazz, you all the beats the tripets . Looking at some videos or better yet you tubes clips aout the music and times. How people were always dressed to impress not like these days that poeple dress down or don't dress at all. So i can imange how they danced to the music. For my taste its is too fast and load. Now Georgia on my mind is nice tempo very relaxing piece of music. Steady and mellow tempo relaxing. I enjoy listing to jazz when studying or just want to relax. The beat was is slow and steady I'm not a music major so my ear does ot pick up all the beats as a music syundent would. I do enjoy slow mellow jazz. I try to listen to brazilian jazz I don't understand the words but do enjoy the beat and relaxing tones.  Black Bottom  Stomp sorry was something out of disney ride or a commercial. Did not like the beat or all he horns. It was dixie land music which to my ear was not appealing. There was many soloist and accompanist roles. There is a rhythm section and the a-a-b-a , chord progressions. Looking on youtube.com many people or groups playing the music are enjoying them selves. Dixieland music is not my taste.

"Black Bottom Stomp" is a jazz song. It was composed by Jelly Roll Morton in 1925 and was originally entitled "Queen of Spades". It was recorded in Chicago by Morton and His Red Hot Peppers on September 15, 1926

"Cotton Tail" is a 1940 composition by Duke Ellington.[1] It is based on the rhythm changes from George Gershwin's "I Got Rhythm". The first Ellington recording (2 May 1940) is notable for the driving tenor saxophone solo by Ben Webster. Originally an instrumental, "Cotton Tail" later had lyrics written for it by Ellington. Later, more lyrics were written, based on the 1940 recording, by Jon Hendricks, and recorded by Lambert, Hendricks and Ross.

"Georgia on My Mind" is a song written in 1930 by Hoagy Carmichael (music) and Stuart Gorrell (lyrics). It is the official state song of the U.S. state of Georgia. Gorrell wrote the lyrics for Hoagy's sister, Georgia Carmichael [1]. However, the lyrics of the song are ambiguous enough to refer either to the state or to a woman named "Georgia". Carmichael's 1965 autobiography, Sometimes I Wonder, records the origin: a friend, saxophonist and bandleader Frankie Trumbauer, suggested: "Why don't you write a song called 'Georgia?' Nobody lost much writing about the South." Thus, the song is universally believed to have been written about the state.

The song was first recorded on September 15, 1930 in New York by Hoagy Carmichael and His Orchestra with Bix Beiderbecke on muted cornet and Hoagy Carmichael on vocals. The recording was part of Bix Beiderbecke's last recording session. The recording was released as Victor 23013 with "One Night in Havana".

Frankie Trumbauer had the first major hit recording in 1931 when his recording made the top ten on the charts. Trumbauer had suggested that Carmichael compose the song.

Ray Charles, a native of Georgia, recorded it in 1960 on the album The Genius Hits the Road. It became Georgia's state song in 1979. Inspired by this blues version, Willie Nelson formally introduced the song to country audiences in 1978 as a #1 Country/Western hit.
Rafael1292
Novice

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 18, 2010, 02:00:27 pm »

When I heard about today's concert I was very happy to find out that two of the groups performing were local groups. I was very pleased to see there are local groups that perform, appreciate, and keep music alive from a time in which music performance and musicianship was given the credit it deserves.

The first piece, "Cotton Tail" was beautifully performed by the all time classic Duke Ellington. It was a fast paced upbeat jazz piece.
A piece in which all musicians in the band had their time to shine by being allowed to improvise on certain sections of the piece.
I was very impressed by the technique and ability demonstrated by the drummer whenever possible in his rolls and small improvised sections. Always landing back perfectly on time making his playing seem like a perfect science.

The second piece was "Georgia On My Mind". As a matter of personal taste I always thought Ray Charles was one of the few musicians who could do justice to such a beautiful song. His seemingly untrained voice was always fueled with raw emotion that always got to me. His performance in my opinion was always unparalleled when compared to most performers. However, I was pleasantly surprised when I heard the arrangement of the piece the Killian High School Band performed. The saxophone player was able to keep my attention throughout the piece, perfectly capturing that feeling of nostalgia I always get when I hear the Ray Charles version.

The last piece of the night was " Black Bottom Stomp". It was a perfect piece to finish the concert after playing the beautiful "Georgia On My Mind" this was the perfect wake up call for those whose attention might have drifted on the slower song.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2010, 02:16:17 pm by Rafael1292 » Logged
Jaime2056
Novice

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 18, 2010, 02:41:00 pm »

Cotton Tail by Duke Ellington
This song started with no introduction, from the beginning it was a fast tempo song, with a dramatic sound. The rhythm alters quite frequently, through swing feeling. The change form structure starts with AABA form but later it becomes improvisation. The solo from the saxophone and piano player was the most enjoyable part of this masterpiece. Overall this song absolutely had me tapping my foot throughout the whole song.

Georgia on My Mind by Hoagy Carmichael
First, I will to start by saying this was my favorite song of them all, my favorite music genre is R&B, so I enjoyed the smooth melodies. Huge difference from the previous song, the opening is a nice mellow introduction; follow by a beautiful melody played by the saxophone player. As the song progress more instrument come to fill in this romantic love work of art. The drums do not play a huge part in this song till later in the end.  Overall this song has such a relaxing sound to it, moderately slow tempo that one can just sit back and take pleasure in a gorgeous night.

Black Bottom Stomp by Jelly Roll Morton
I did not enjoy this song as much like the others, but the song is a fast tempo song, with a bright sound. I was amazed how all the different instrument; clarinet, trumpet and trombone played together without sounding awful, and that take skill because I heard diverse rhythmic pattern played throughout the whole song. I can image the music sheet for this jingle, it has to be complex. The song had a different swing arrangement from Cotton Tail. Overall this is a song of frequent swing from one instrument to another, numerous segments, and breaks. Is without doubt a song you can dance wildly.  Grin
hector0059
Novice

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 18, 2010, 03:06:15 pm »

I think that the concert was good and at the same time a really good experience to listen to jazz music. With all the sounds of trumpets, hi-hats and cymbals, the experience that my ears enjoyed were not much than the sound of the swing. It was so good I could feel it going through my body. Starting with the first song, Cotton Tail, the swing movements made me want to move all my legs to the beat of the music. With the two and four beats that continued through the song, as well as the happy sensation of the music that made me feel, I was really enjoying every moment out of it. Yet, for me it was better the second song with the mellow and at the same time sad saxophone. Georgia on My Mind, with its improvisation and nice going rhythm, was my favorite out of the three songs. As the concert went on, I was entertained by the first two yet, the last one, as far as my opinion, was not a great way of finishing the concert. Black Bottom Sheep, was the one that didn’t touch me the most. It was too much of a silly song and didn’t feel the flow of how the first two songs where going. It’s hard to explain, but for me to enjoy a concert is based on the way the flow of the moods are actually going through. To conclude this critique, I think that I really enjoy the fact of listening to jazz as long as I can identify with the song.
Ana 4144
Novice

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 18, 2010, 03:09:36 pm »

The in- class concert was great, I was able to understand and expand more a little my mind about Jazz music. Of course with the Prof. explaining how to call out or understand the different instruments and structure that needs to be understood.
Cotton tail- the temp is fast, doesn’t seem to have an introduction but it does have an improvisation which I think it might have been the trumpet. There is also a piano playing that makes a melody in which one can picture an image of some one or something either dancing or running very fast due to the speed of the rhythm the instruments are playing. Although towards the end the melody slows down a bit, for me the music had a fast pace and I really did not enjoy it.
Georgia on my mind- now this musical was amazing, it has an introduction starting really slow which makes the song more relaxing and its catches the attention of the audience. But what really caught my attention was when the soloist saxophonist played its role, WOW that was beyond amazing. Its was being played steady and slow it made one feel nice and some what romantic. Georgia on my minds melody is a the type that can be danced to slowly in a nice event, because the melody stays constant with the slow speed just a little here and there is speeds up but not to the extreme . Definitely I enjoyed listening to this it’s was music for my ears.
Dante6310
Novice

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 18, 2010, 09:25:01 pm »

I was unable to attend the first in-class concert, however I was able to listen to the three songs in order to write this critique.

I was amazed that I had not yet heard "Cotton Tail" by Duke Ellington. As a former sax player, I loved the tremendous tenor sax solo that the song seem built around. The drummer and bassist do an excellent job of keeping the beat throughout. The piano line is timely and appropriate and the horn riffs at the end reminded me briefly of "Sing, Sing, Sing" by Louis Prima. This song (Cotton Tail) is a quintessential example of jazz that was an excellent choice for the first in-class concert.

"Georgia on My Mind" is a familiar song to me because it was one of the songs that I played at our evaluations in my middle school jazz band. I am ashamed to admit that despite even that, I still thought it was a Ray Charles' song originally. I have read that the class listened to a Killian High School Band version of the song and I can say that missing class brought an unexpected benefit of forcing me to listen to the original version of the song by Hoagy Carmichael. Every other version I had heard previously was much slower and more dramatic and, while I still prefer it that way, it was awesome to hear one of Bix Beiderbecke's last recordings ever. Especially since you played one of his songs in class today. Anyone else know that the original recording had a violin? I am not sure if Killian had a violin in it's rendition or not, but we sure didn't. Joe Venuti plays a great violin solo. Check out the original: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YSKfkJUKbOc

"Black Bottom Stomp" immediately brought to mind images of a Tom and Jerry cartoon or a silent black and white movie from the 20's. It was a little too light-hearted and quick for my taste. If you focus on the piano you can hear it's ragtime roots and you can picture a rowdy bar scene from a wild west saloon. I did enjoy the clarinet solo however.

Looking forward to being at the next concert.
Caitlin0337
Master Musician (20 points)

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 20, 2010, 06:18:42 pm »

Cotton Tail is a nice song with a very fast tempo. Very high energy  loud . For its time must of be one hell of a dance. As reading the book of conise  guide to Jazz, you all the beats the tripets . Looking at some videos or better yet you tubes clips aout the music and times. How people were always dressed to impress not like these days that poeple dress down or don't dress at all. So i can imange how they danced to the music. For my taste its is too fast and load. Now Georgia on my mind is nice tempo very relaxing piece of music. Steady and mellow tempo relaxing. I enjoy listing to jazz when studying or just want to relax. The beat was is slow and steady I'm not a music major so my ear does ot pick up all the beats as a music syundent would. I do enjoy slow mellow jazz. I try to listen to brazilian jazz I don't understand the words but do enjoy the beat and relaxing tones.  Black Bottom  Stomp sorry was something out of disney ride or a commercial. Did not like the beat or all he horns. It was dixie land music which to my ear was not appealing. There was many soloist and accompanist roles. There is a rhythm section and the a-a-b-a , chord progressions. Looking on youtube.com many people or groups playing the music are enjoying them selves. Dixieland music is not my taste.

"Black Bottom Stomp" is a jazz song. It was composed by Jelly Roll Morton in 1925 and was originally entitled "Queen of Spades". It was recorded in Chicago by Morton and His Red Hot Peppers on September 15, 1926

"Cotton Tail" is a 1940 composition by Duke Ellington.[1] It is based on the rhythm changes from George Gershwin's "I Got Rhythm". The first Ellington recording (2 May 1940) is notable for the driving tenor saxophone solo by Ben Webster. Originally an instrumental, "Cotton Tail" later had lyrics written for it by Ellington. Later, more lyrics were written, based on the 1940 recording, by Jon Hendricks, and recorded by Lambert, Hendricks and Ross.

"Georgia on My Mind" is a song written in 1930 by Hoagy Carmichael (music) and Stuart Gorrell (lyrics). It is the official state song of the U.S. state of Georgia. Gorrell wrote the lyrics for Hoagy's sister, Georgia Carmichael [1]. However, the lyrics of the song are ambiguous enough to refer either to the state or to a woman named "Georgia". Carmichael's 1965 autobiography, Sometimes I Wonder, records the origin: a friend, saxophonist and bandleader Frankie Trumbauer, suggested: "Why don't you write a song called 'Georgia?' Nobody lost much writing about the South." Thus, the song is universally believed to have been written about the state.

The song was first recorded on September 15, 1930 in New York by Hoagy Carmichael and His Orchestra with Bix Beiderbecke on muted cornet and Hoagy Carmichael on vocals. The recording was part of Bix Beiderbecke's last recording session. The recording was released as Victor 23013 with "One Night in Havana".

Frankie Trumbauer had the first major hit recording in 1931 when his recording made the top ten on the charts. Trumbauer had suggested that Carmichael compose the song.

Ray Charles, a native of Georgia, recorded it in 1960 on the album The Genius Hits the Road. It became Georgia's state song in 1979. Inspired by this blues version, Willie Nelson formally introduced the song to country audiences in 1978 as a #1 Country/Western hit.

Eric,

Can you elaborate a little more on brazillian jazz? What are some of the popular artists that I could hear this music?
Caitlin0337

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 20, 2010, 06:28:17 pm »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SDDCzb3dv_Y

Check out this video of Duke Ellington playing "Satin doll"! Great song!

Doesn't Duke Ellington look so incrediby happy?
Anabella5523

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 21, 2010, 06:37:42 pm »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SDDCzb3dv_Y

Check out this video of Duke Ellington playing "Satin doll"! Great song!

Doesn't Duke Ellington look so incrediby happy?

Yes, he definitely does! This is one common thing I have seen in many of these old jazz videos, also in the ones that we saw last class; jazz musicians seem to enjoy a lot to play this music, they surely have a lot of fun.

"Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and life to everything."
pablo4856
Novice

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: June 01, 2010, 06:18:34 pm »

Critique #1
COTTON TRAIL (DUKE ELLINGTON) - This is a big band tune.  There is a lot of clarinet involved in this piece.  I enjoyed the saxophone solo.  I believe that this is a mid-tempo song, with a couple of highs and lows.  I also notice a couple of trumpets in the background.  He Drums were playing a low-steady note in the back the whole piece.  This music makes you feel energetic, something you would listen to while having a nice cup of coffee in a Starbucks while reading a book.  Something I also enjoyed about this tune was the trumpets highs.
 GEORGIA ON MY MIND (HOAGY CARMIDRAEL, LARISSA LOCKETT... ALTO SAXOPHONE SOLOIST) - this track sounds like Jazz to me.  It has a beautiful slow tempo.  The saxophone intro was good.  The brass and drums follows the notes of the saxophone.  All instrument follow behind it nicely.  At around the middle of the song the drummer was able to pick up the pace of the song.  Because of the title of the song, you can connect to the title as having good memories from Georgia.  Personally, this music inspires me romance! A tune you would listen to while having a nice dinner with wine and enjoy a slow dance! 
BLACK BOTTOM STOMP (JELLY ROLL MORTON, MIAMI SAX QUOUTET.)-  This is Dixieland which has a mid-tempo to it.  The bass and drums follow along with the music instead of keeping the original steady beat.  The Saxophone players get to do a big solo and as the song flows each instrument gets its chance to perform a solo as well.  It sounds as if they were improvising the whole song.  The clarinet has a big influence in this tune.  This music has an up-beating note.  But personally I prefer early Jazz. 
Tiesha7814

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: June 16, 2010, 11:42:01 am »

After listening to all three pieces it was not hard for me to determine that “Georgia on My Mind” was my overall favorite. I really did enjoy all three selections but the slow and smooth sounds played by the band kept a very relaxing feeling throughout the whole song. My favorite part would have to be the heavenly sounds flowing from the skillful alto sax soloist Larissa Lockett. My boyfriend use to play in Killian High School’s Jazz Band for a few years and even though I never really knew much about music I have always enjoyed to hear them play. I also like the upbeat sounds from Duke Ellington’s Big Band in “Cotton Tail”. This song was very lively had a nice and steady tempo and since I have been in this class I have found a new love for the sounds of the saxophone preferably the alto sax Wink so I must admit I did enjoy the sax solo as well. I also favored the clarinet solo with its high pitch sounds clearly identifying its self from every other instrument being played. Last but not least I did take a liking to “Black Bottom Stomp” by Jell Roll Morton it was not one of my favorites but it did take me back to one of my favorite childhood cartoons Smiley . It was very upbeat in tempo with a lovely sound mixture from the drums, piano and bass. There was also a lot of improvisation which brought excitement to the song not only for the instrumentalist but for the listener as well.
Yaidelyn7294
Songwriter (10 points)

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: June 18, 2010, 06:22:16 am »

Is absolutely true “Georgia on My Mind” is a very relaxing piece. The soft sounds of this piece were so peaceful. The alto sax Larissa Locket was the greatest of all.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]
  Print  

Jump to: