The Student Lounge
December 13, 2019, 05:13:15 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Each listening critique must contain a minimum of 300 words to receive credit.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
  Print  
Author Topic: In-Class Critique #1  (Read 49585 times)
Brian C. Wuttke
Administrator
Musical Legend

View Profile WWW
« on: May 10, 2010, 07:33:38 am »

Post your 1st In-Class Critique here by clicking on the "reply" tab.

REMINDER: Your critique MUST be 250 words minimum to recieve credit.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2010, 03:29:42 pm by Brian C. Wuttke » Logged

I taught it, but did they learn?
Caitlin0337
Master Musician (20 points)

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2010, 06:23:57 pm »

During the several musical pieces we have heard in class, I truly enjoyed Georgia on My Mind. The tempo was not too fast, not too slow. Overall, the tempo had a soft, harmonious, gentle feel. I noticed they did use improvisation, similar like the other pieces of music we heard. This music had a very relaxing feel, which made me want to sit back with a tall glass of wine and stare into a luminous night sky. To me, it had a real swing feel and did notice the bass coming heavily in the middle. The music really picks up in the end but still not losing that appealing delicate sound. Georgia on My Mind was a marvelous work of art. When a piece of music can remind you of your loved ones, it is always a great thing. It brought to a peaceful state of mind. On the other hand, I did not particularly care for Cotton Tail. I appreciate the talent, intelligence and dedication but the music was not my style. It started off extremely upbeat and funky. I felt that it was too much sound all at once. There seems to be a lack of moderation and a very rapid tempo. The tempo was too swift and hard for me to really grasp the melody of each instrument. I can’t really tell exactly what chords the instruments are playing because there seems to be too much going on. Generally speaking, Cotton Tail has a very happy, fast, and jolly beat. It creates the impression of couples surrounded on a dance floor, ready to dance the night away.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2010, 07:27:41 am by Brian C. Wuttke » Logged
stephanie6951
Novice

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2010, 06:31:20 pm »

Today I really enjoyed doing the in-class listening to the three songs.  In Cotton Tail, I found the tempo to be fast throughout the entire piece. The fact that it used the saxophone a lot and the way it was used gave it a little bit of a swing feeling.  The music was very upbeat and cheerful and made me feel very awake.  My favorite part of the song was towards the very ending when the beat got faster and the music got a little louder and you could hear the saxophone and the trumpet very clearly.  Georgia On My Mind was my least favorite but I still enjoyed it.  The tempo of this piece very slow and melancholy and it reminded me a little bit of a blues song.  As the song progressed, I started to like it more once the bass was introduced.  It was still slow, so as I was listening to it, it made me feel a little sleepy but it was still a nice piece to listen to.  Another part of the song I enjoyed was when a couple other instruments were introduced and the tempo got a tiny bit faster.  The last piece, Black Bottom Sheep, was definitely my favorite.  The tempo was fast which I really liked.  As I was listening to this piece it reminded of the kind of tune you would hear in a cartoon because it was very cute and happy.  In some parts of this piece I heard the AABA form.  Overall, I liked all three songs.  They were all very different but I enjoyed listening to them because it not something I normally listen to.
maria2619
Afficionado (5 points)

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2010, 06:36:14 pm »

After listening to the 3 concert programs. I can say I truly enjoyed "Georgia on My Mind" the most out of all of them. The concert started very slow beat and overall had a very slow tempo and nostalgic feel to it. It had some moments when you heard the swing very sharply, and the saxophone solo did a great job. This song made me want just close my eyes and reminisce on something I miss. I guess thats why the song is titled "Georgia on My Mind".  Although this was my favorite I still enjoyed "Cotton Tail" and Black Bottom Stomp". In "Cotton Tail the tempo from the start was very upbeat and out of control, If I had to take a wild guess I would think the song was an improvisation. Also had a swing feel to it that made me just want to stand up and dance! And even though it was very upbeat al-throughout the song, the ending tempo went slower and slower until it stopped, which I didn't enjoy."Black Bottom Stomp" also experimented with high and low tempo's. This piece start off extremely high tempo and as the song progressed it would change from fast to slow. It almost made it feel like you were watching a movie and someone was being followed. I don't know if I really liked this particular style because of its rapid high and low beats. it difficult to hear any other instrument but the saxophone and piano. I look forward to listening to different concerts so I can be more precise on my comments.
shirley9932
Songwriter (10 points)

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2010, 10:29:26 am »

Cotton Tail
The tempo in this piece is fast. It’s pretty consistent with its beat, giving it a swing feel to it. At the same time it seems to be mixed with improvisation, making the music sound spontaneous as it approaches its finale. The piano and sax sound great together, which is what my ears mostly heard and what appealed to my senses.  I really enjoyed this song, it literally made me want to jump up and dance with its upbeat rhythm and catchy tune.

Georgia on my mind
The tempo in this piece is very slow, calm and collected. As it progresses there are a few high pitches, but its beat stays nice and steady with triplets. The combination of the piano, sax, and bass are so melodious to my ears. It’s truly a beautiful piece. It reminds me of something I would hear at dinner while drinking a glass of wine with a loved one or in an old time classic love movie like Casablanca. This piece was certainly my favorite of all three. It’s very romantic, sweet and relaxing.

Black Bottom stomp
The tempo in this piece is pretty fast with a standard form. The beat/bass is steady with a triplet subdivision giving it a swing feel to it. Its tone is very happy, pretty high pitched and it reminds me of something I would hear in a cartoon. It takes me back to my childhood when I used to watch Looney Tunes every Sunday morning.  It gives me a warm, blissful feeling. I absolutely love the sound of the sax, piano and bass altogether. It sounded divine.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2010, 07:28:05 am by Brian C. Wuttke » Logged
Vanessa0665
Novice

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2010, 12:34:03 pm »

As I began listening to “Cotton Tail” by Duke Ellington, I noticed immediately that it had a quick Tempo. I also noticed that it had a walking bass line. The steady beat with the triplet subdivision of drums confirmed that it was swing music. The song had a significant amount of improvisation from the soloist. Overall the song gave me a feeling of happiness and energy.  Next, the song “Georgia on my mind” by Hoagy Carmichael did not give me a swing feeling. The introduction was a bit ominous and the melody was played by a saxophone player. The tempo remained slow throughout most of the song but began quickening as the ending approached. It seemed that the Form may have been AAAB instead of AABA like Cotton Tail had. I enjoyed “Georgia on my mind” because the melody was catchy and emotional. It gave me the feeling of sadness. Last, “Black Bottom Stomp” by Jelly Roll Morton was a nice following song to Georgia on my mind because it gave a feeling of happiness. The song reminded me of the music they may play along with cartoons for its comedic feeling it gives. It had a swing feeling with its improvisation and walking bass line.  I really felt that the trumpet sounded interesting and different from what I’ve heard. I enjoyed the melody very much and would like to hear more music from Jelly Roll Morton. My favorite song of the three was “Georgia on my mind” because it gave me a stronger emotional reaction than the other two songs. Not to mention that it was beautifully played.
Yaidelyn7294
Songwriter (10 points)

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2010, 01:17:45 pm »

The piece that I liked the most was “Georgia on My Mind”. The combination of the instruments sounded fantastic. It was a relaxing piece with a slow tempo. If I were to use this song it will definitely be in a restaurant, on a romantic night, in a spa and relaxing in the Jacuzzi of my house, with a glass and a bottle of Navarro Correa. The song has high pitches but it maintains a calm rhythm. The other song, “Cotton Tail”, was too fast for my ears, it sounded spontaneous and decayed. The tempo was too fast; hence I couldn’t appreciate the melody of the instruments. The end of “Cotton Tail” has a stop-like beat, very uncomfortable for my taste.  The beat in “Georgia” had triplets, while the ones in “Cotton Tail” had a more noisy sound. Last but not least the “Black Bottom Stomp”, the third piece was also loud, never the less, the bass made happy pitches. Even though the song didn’t have words, it made you wants to get up and dance. There’s a solo sound in the middle of the song that really caught my attention, the rest of the music usually goes with triplets.  The tempo on this song was high and low. I love the sound of the saxophone and the piano. This piece could be used on a mysterious stage. Overall, I liked “Black Bottom Stomp” and “Georgia on My Mind”. This is not the type of music I hear but, it’s a new experience to learn from.
Merylin7403
Novice

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2010, 03:33:55 pm »

Cottontail
It is a fast tempo jazz that uses a lot of trumpets. The drums are actually keeping the steady beat we talked about earlier in class. It very much has the swing feeling to it, the whole melody of the song is always rising with fast beats. The ending trumpet did feature improvisation by the way it ended the song. This song personally made me feel like getting up and dancing.

Georgia on my mind
This is a slower Jazz music with the swing feeling to it.  It has no drums or at least not very low drums in most of the song but the bass is very pronounced in this song. It slowly gradually picked up with the drums and the hi-hat. “Georgia on my mind” definitely has a presenting improvisation of the saxophone. It makes me feel almost romantic, very gentle and softer sound making it the “almost” feeling. I enjoyed this song greatly it’s much different than what I’m used to hearing about jazz without making me feel  in a banquet hall sitting for dinner to start or making me fall asleep trying to listen to it.

Black Bottom Stomp
Chirping and very hyper Jazz, definitely a song that I would be put to dance to, it has a lot of breaks and change of beats. It also has a fast tempo song with almost a comedy feel to it in my opinion. Because of its different changes of beats I couldn’t really pin point a part that showed improvisation. It almost matches all beats as if it is catching up to each section of the song. It did not have much of a steady beat or swing feeling in my opinion, rather than faster beats repeating with high and low pitches.

Overall, I enjoyed all three songs, particularly “Georgia on My Mind” because it was a delicate, softer sound. It is like listening to a relaxing Jazz, which are two words I thought I would never put together.  This style of Jazz really impacted me because I have never found softer Jazz that I have enjoyed so much. 
Jay7705
Songwriter (10 points)

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2010, 04:04:44 pm »

While I was listening to the piece Cotton Tail I realized that it had a fast up beat tempo threw the entire song which made me kind of antsy and I wanted to just get up and start moving.  Since I’m a hyper person I liked it and made me feel good.  It definitely had a swing feel threw the entire song.  I could imagine in my mind a ball room where everyone was swing dancing and having a good time.  Around the two minute mark it seemed that there was improvisation with the trumpets and possibly the saxophone.  But in all it was a good piece.

The second piece, Georgia on my mind was completely opposite from Cotton tail it had a slow tempo relaxing feel to it with no swing at all.  It made me feel a little tired and I would probably only play it while I’m trying to go sleep or during a candle light dinner with a special someone.  The form seemed soft and classical which I didn’t really like and it made me a little bored, but on a positive side it did seem like I could get used to it if I heard it often.

The final piece Black Bottom Stomp was at a fast up-tempo beat just like Cotton Tail.  It actually gave me the feeling to work.  I could imagine this kind of song playing in one of those old movies with no words and you see all the characters franticly working and trying to put something together.  I think it did have a swing feeling to it with some improvisation which the base carried through the entire song.  I also liked this piece and wouldn’t mind hearing it again.           

Laurie0427
Afficionado (5 points)

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2010, 06:54:03 am »

It was very enjoyable listening to the three music pieces in class yesterday.  Each piece moved me in a different way.  The one I enjoyed the most was “Georgia On My Mind”, by Hoagy Carmichael.  This song had a slow tempo that made you feel like you are in an old time movie in a romantic scene where two people are dancing together in an intense moment.  As the bass was introduced it gave that constant beat and as the rest of the instruments joined in gave it a great feel.  The saxophone playing was amazing with its beautiful sound and improvisation which moved me.  The other two songs I enjoyed as well.  “Cotton Tail”, by Duke Ellington exhibited a very fast and up beat tempo giving it that swing feel; along with the improvisation of the trumpets gave me that happy feeling. This song wasn’t my favorite but it was enjoyable.  As for the last song, “Black Bottom Stomp”, by Jelly Roll Morton, this too had a fast tempo which made you feel happy.  The piece did included improvisation at times and had a nice walking bass line which also gave it that swing feel to it. This song as I listened to it made me picture those older movies with the ladies in flapper dresses dancing around enjoying themselves. “Georgia on My Mind” was my favorite out of the pieces and the other two, "Cotton Tail" and "Black Bottom Stomp", I enjoyed because they made me want to get up and dance. Each of these songs were great and had their own unique feel.
Ngin7651
Afficionado (5 points)

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2010, 09:48:33 am »

Song title: Cotton Tail by Duke
   I think this song is form is AABA base on what I heard.  This song has fast-tempo.  In this song is noticeably walking base line, I rarely heard the drum.  I think the song do not have any improvisation because there is no solo.  The music made me feel jumpy or make me want to dance.  This song does provide the swing feeling because I notice from the beat meter.  I like the music because the song has beat that motivate or excited to the audience in the beginning and end.  
Song title: Georgia On My Mind by Hoagy Carmichael, and arranged by Sammy Nestico
   This song is tempo is mostly slow.  I think this song have improvisation because the song has alto saxophone.  In this song the drum is on steady beat, it might provide time keeping for the song.  The song makes me feel sad or almost lonely.  I think this song do not have swing feeling.  I do like the beginning because it is very smooth, but I do not like the middle of the song because the solo is very off from the rest of the music.
Song title: Black Bottom Stomp by Jelly Morton, and arranged by Fred Sturm
   I think the form of this song is AABA base on what I heard.  I think the song tempo is medium.  I do think the song has improvisation, and swing feeling.  This song does not have any bass or drum playing.   The music made me feel cheerful and happy to dance.  I like the music in the beginning section and the middle section.  The ending was not grate as other part, but I do not dislike it.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2010, 07:27:22 am by Brian C. Wuttke » Logged
alan9470
Songwriter
Novice

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2010, 06:34:44 pm »

I find Cottontail to be a very powerful tune. Not much of my taste in jazz: I prefer slower pieces in which instrumentation is better appreciated; nevertheless, this piece is lavishly composed and it successfully delivers that feeling of cheerfulness, which, I’m sure Duke Ellington tried to convey. The alto saxophone solo didn’t quite catch my attention as much as the piano solo; I just think it mixes better with the content of the piece. This piece has always given me the feeling of being in a carnival.

Georgia on my Mind is, in my opinion, one of the greatest jazz pieces out there. In fact, I’ll be even blunter: it is one of the greatest pieces ever written. It gives its listener not only a melancholic, but, also an inspiring feeling.  I liked the alto sax solo very much. The notes played by the soloist sort of float through the rhythm; and you can feel the instrument almost transform into a clear-speaking voice.  Hoagy Carmichael did a magnificent job with this piece. Two thumbs up!

Black Bottom Stomp was exquisitely performed. This Miami Saxophone Quartet has more than just talent: they’re genius. Again, is not so much of my taste, but I always appreciate great music. This song has a fast, lively tempo, and conveys cheerfulness to its listener.  I believe Black Bottom Stomp to be a ragtime, and if it is, it proves that ragtime is jazz; since many people see it as two different things, but this song sounds like any other jazz piece.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2010, 07:28:48 am by Brian C. Wuttke » Logged
Alfredo6528
Afficionado (5 points)

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2010, 10:55:08 pm »

Tonight I attended a concert in Mr. Wuttke’s class. The concert consisted of three pieces, these pieces were “Cotton Tail”, written by Duke Ellington and performed by Duke Ellington and his orchestra. The second piece performed was “Georgia on my Mind” written by Hoagy Carmichael and arranged by Sammy Nestico. This song was performed by the Killian High School Jazz Band in which the soloist was Larissa Lockett on alto saxophone. That last song to be performed was the “Black Bottom Stomp” written by Jelly Roll Morton and it was arranged by Fred Sturm.  This song was performed by the Miami Saxophone Quartet; the performers were Gary Keller on soprano sax, Gary Lindsay on alto sax, Ed Calle on tenor sax and Mike Brignola on baritone sax. The first song in this three song concert was “cotton tail”, the form of this song can be defines as AABA.  This songs tempo is very quick keeping the listener interested in the song. This song had a very nice swing feel to it and the sax player strengthened the grove with his improvisation solo. The next song to be performed was “Georgia on my Mind” and in the introduction to the song the saxophone player had a nice vibrato sound that felt like if I was being surrounding by the music. The sax player, Larissa Lockett, had a nice improvisation in which she was doing it without any accompaniment. This sax player played almost throughout the entire song with a centered tone. Never once did this musician’s tone fall flat or go sharp; the bass did a good job in keeping the tempo for the sax player. Although, the drums could play louder in this song because I could barely hear them. This song made me feel like if a professional band was playing it not a high school jazz band. The last song “Black Bottom Stomp” was a song that I believe is perfect for performing clowns. I did not really like this song.
erik6864
Afficionado (5 points)

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2010, 01:32:40 pm »

I listen to almost every kind of music, but I don’t usually pay attention to details as tempo, key or form, so what I could perceive about the first song Cotton Tail is that its tempo was kind of fast with some improvisations in it, and I guess that this song uses a triplet to compose a swing feeling. This song made me feel like dancing, happy and it wakes me up. The second song Georgia On My Mind began slowly, but then it was getting a little bit faster to ending slow.  To me, there were good improvisations mixed in it, but I couldn’t really distinguish the role of the bass and drums; to me it was kind of messy, but it sounded great anyway which made me feel relax, very pleasant, like being on the top of a mountain and watching the stars. About Black Bottom Stomp, which was the last song, I can say that its tempo was medium, mixing some improvisation and using the swing feeling, which made me feel kind of hyper.
The whole program was good, but the song that I really like the most was Georgia On My Mind because, to me, this song had changes on its tempo. It also had really good improvisations, and its melody was nice. Georgia On My Mind had the style that I usually like to listen to. On the other hand, I did not like to much the last song Black Bottom Stamp because, to me, it had too much saxophone and it was not meaningful to me, but in general, I liked the program. 
Carol4206
Novice

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2010, 01:58:35 pm »

The three songs that were played during class were definitely nothing like what I normally hear. They were completely different then the music I listen to on regular day basis. The first song was called Cotton Tail. The tempo was very fast at the beginning, and then was medium and eventually back to fast. The song was full of energy. I couldn’t really hear the forum. It was difficult for me to concentrate and notice it. It wasn’t exactly my type of song. I didn’t enjoy it. On the other hand, I really enjoyed the second song, Georgia On My Mind. I could definitely hear the forum in the song. The tempo was slow and them even slower. I enjoyed it because it was very relaxing. It was appealing to the mood I was in. in my opinion it was a great musical selection. The third song that was played, Black Bottom Soup, was very soothing too.  I definitely liked and enjoyed listening to it. The tempo was kind of medium and then got a little fast. I did hear the forum at times, but at times I wouldn’t really distinguish it. I like the rhythm; it was a very happy and joyful beat. I also noticed that it had a swing feeling. I liked the music selection specially because it was enlightening to me.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2010, 06:52:49 pm by Brian C. Wuttke » Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
  Print  

Jump to: