The Student Lounge
September 20, 2019, 03:29:47 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Each listening critique must contain a minimum of 300 words to receive credit.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: MDC Jazz Band 04/07  (Read 3591 times)
Brian C. Wuttke
Administrator
Musical Legend

View Profile WWW
« on: April 05, 2010, 12:33:04 pm »

MDC Jazz Ensemble
Matt Bonelli, Coordinator
Wednesday, April 7th, 2010
Fred Shaw Plaza, 12:00 noon

I taught it, but did they learn?
Gregory8995
Novice

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2010, 10:30:35 am »

On Wednesday, April 7th, 2010, I attended the afternoon performance by the MDC Jazz Band in the MDC Fred Shaw Plaza. When I arrived at the concert the band had not yet begun to perform so I got the chance to see the band warm up for the first time. It was interesting to see how the band tunes each instrument with the other instruments in the band. As it was also interesting to see how the stage crew worked with the conductor Matt Bonelli to make sure the mics worked and balanced correctly with the sound that he was trying to achieve.
To open the show the band played a song called Deacon Blues by W. Becker and D. Fagen. This was a blues song based on the 12-bar blues that featured French horns integrated with the jazz band in order to acquire a specific sound to go with the piece. It was a slow piece that was sounded very well rehearsed and the solo by Travis Graves on his Tenor Saxophone was done very well.
The second piece was called take the A train by B. Strayhorn. This was a much faster, up paced piece that was much more entertaining to hear. It was more similar to what would have been played in the old jazz clubs rather than such a pieces as the previously stated Deacon Blues by W. Becker and D. Fagen. The soloist in this piece included Ernesto Bayola on Bass Trombone, Travis Graves on Tenor Saxophone and Kiernan Smith on Trumpet. All of the above solos were very well done, however there was a minor slip up with the trumpet solo Kiernan Smith, although it only sounded like he missed his entrance to the piece.
Third was the piece by L. Bernstein named Somewhere. Much like the previous song of take the A train, Somewhere was a more fast paced, up temp song that you could not help but tap your feet too. It was a very catchy tune with a very prominent saxophone part.
Continually, the next song was Soft Skies by Mark Taylor and was a mixture of a slower piece combined with a entertaining interlude part. It was mixed together also with soloists by Daniel Matheson on Piano, which was very impressive. Along with this solo was the solo by Julio Mejia which was on the Fluegel Horn, which is like the trumpet but with a sound more like the French horn. And the Fluegel Horn sounded very good and fit the tone of the piece as a whole.
Finally was the piece called Sister Sadie by H. Silver. This piece seemed to me both by title and sound, like more of an almost gospel sounding piece. It was similar to the sounds of old African-American folk songs  mixed with a jazz feel that was very interesting and cool to hear. In this piece there were also solos by Travis Graves, again on Tenor Saxophone. Travis Graves did very well on this solo as well and proved to be a very good musician as he played all of the pieces and had a solo in4 of the 5 pieces.
Lauren0758
Novice

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2010, 07:07:39 am »

Gonzalez, Manuel
Jazz and Pop Music in America
Professor Brian Wuttke

Critique

Wednesday April 7 brought Miami Dade College a blessed day with the award winning Jazz Band directed by Professor Matthew Bonelli. Professor Bonelli had invited a guest named Bill Walach on the mandolin and harmonica to play as a guest performer. The jazz band had chosen musical arrangements that dated as early as the 1950s. Charts such as Take the A Train by Duke Ellington, Sister Sadie by Horace Silver were definitely some of my favorites. As a performer myself, I play trombone in Bonelliís Big Band and even though the musical selections were first class, the performers themselves couldíve done a better job playing the music. Either through more practice time or rehearsal time, the band couldíve made major improvements. Many intonation problems existed throughout the pieces, different interpretations of articulations, and style didnít lock in to well. Besides that, the show went well. Many students in attendance greatly enjoyed the performance, definitely when Bill Walach got on stage with his mandolin and played some Irish themed music that sounded amazing. Jazz is an exotic art form that should be experienced by everyone.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: