The Student Lounge
September 20, 2019, 03:01:44 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: All posts and revisions must be completed on or before 6:00 am on July 31st. NO EXCEPTIONS.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Jazz in the Gardens 3/20-21  (Read 4611 times)
Brian C. Wuttke
Administrator
Musical Legend

View Profile WWW
« on: March 22, 2010, 03:29:45 pm »

Jazz in the Gardens
Saturday and Sunday, March 20-21
THIS IS NOT A FREE EVENT
http://jazzinthegardens.com/tickets.html

I taught it, but did they learn?
mauricio9094
Novice

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2010, 08:37:33 pm »

Just like the subject of many of the greatest songs of all time, my motivation for choosing this concert was love. I chose the last concert that my girlfriend and I attended which was the Jay-Z Blueprint 3 in February. My girlfriend brought up the idea of attending the Jazz in the Gardens so that she could see and listen to Robin Thicke and Mary J. Blige. I’m very happy that I agreed as I thoroughly enjoyed my Saturday and Sunday at the gardens. On the first day I arrived as K’ Jon was performing. Up next was Joe Sample. This was definitely Jazz and not R&B. Joe Sample plays the keyboards and his band included saxophone, trombone, electric guitar and electric bass guitar, and a drum kit. He starts off by playing a slow, light introduction and then saxophone, trombone and drums join in. His sound is definitely made for listening and bopping your head. His piano playing compliments the other instruments for the first part of the song but then it is his turn to become the primary instrument accompanied by the drum and bass guitar. I like this style of uptempo beat but not in your face with too many sounds. I picture myself listening to his music on a road trip. I found myself listening to the changes in melodies but tapping my feet to the steady rhythm the drummer provided. Throughout the songs the drums, keyboard, and sax each have their own moments to solo, it reminded me of some of the early jazz we listened to in class where each musician is allowed time to showcase their skills for the audience. I can honestly say that this performance made me curious about Joe Sample’s other music and I have become a fan. After his performance there were some R&B and soul acts and then the night was capped off with the performances my girlfriend was looking forward to from Mary J. Blige and Robin Thicke. Day 2 the festivities started at 4 pm with some more R&B acts. I arrived just before a saxophonist named David Sanborn went onstage. When his name was called out there was a loud crowd reaction so I figured I was in for a treat. WOW. I have never heard anyone play the saxophone like this on a record let alone live! At this point I’m thinking that I should listen to my girlfriend more often because in 2 days I had enjoyed about 5 hours and counting of “different” music and that was well worth the price of admission. David Sanborn’s band consisted of keyboards, bass and electric guitars, and drum set. He repeats a melody over and over again. Each time he starts to play the notes an instrument joins in. He repeats this until all the instruments have joined in and are now playing their parts. I like the way he used this as a means of creating an anxious excitement for the crowd. Once all of the instruments joined in, David Sanborn played his solo which sounded very spontaneous but I’m sure was not. I liked him, but I liked Joe Sample and his band more. Once he was done, we went to grab some food and head back to our seats because 2 artists that we both enjoy were up next. Boys 2 Men performed their hits like “End of the Road” and “Down On Bended Knee”. This was pretty cool. They performed some Motown hits like “Just my Imagination” and “Reach out”. These songs were accompanied by a full band. John Legend performed after with the same setup. We had a great time listening to musicians we knew and loved, as well as some that we had never heard of, but definitely became fans of. Not even the rain as “Ordinary People” was being performed could dampen our satisfaction with Jazz in the Gardens 2010.
princess4900
Novice

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2010, 02:24:02 pm »

Miami Gardens came alive before my very eyes as the Fifith Annual Jazz in the Gardens started. Hosted by Tom Joyner  this year’s line- up consisted on artist such as K’Jon, Teena Marie, Robin Thick, Melonie Fiona, John Legend, Joe Sample, Raquel Brown, John Saxx and Kawan Debose. Although half of the artist genre was pop each brought their own spin to Jazz in the Gardens. The concert opened with K’Jon performing his hit single “On the Ocean”. Next he performed a jazz rendition of his pop son “I Get Around”. Although this was my first time hearing his music, I instantly fell in love with the mellow lyrics and was blown away by his jazz version of “I Get Around”. The violinist had a solo part which contributed to making it a romantic, lively and passionate jazz rendition, especially with the saxophone and drums playing in unison. Tina Marie was a blast from the blast, performing some of her hit singles such as “Fire & Desire “& “Square Biz”. Growing up “Fire & Desire was one of my favorite oldie goldies and watching Tina Marie perform it live was a dream come true. The Jazz entertainment came to the stage with a performance by the amazing pianist Joe Sample combining with the eclectic guitar skills of David T. Walker. Sample performed one of his many hit singles “In All my Wildest Dreams”.  Joe Sample starts off by playing a slow and light introduction and then saxophone, trombone and comes in followed by a high peak of David T. Walker playing the electric guitar and drops back down to a slow yet mellow pace. His band includes saxophone, trombone, electric guitar and electric bass guitar, and a drum kit.  His style of up tempo beats matches his band. Joe Sample music bring Early Jazz to mind, in which the way his band members has their own time for a solo.  Another jazz artist was Jon Saxx. The most impressive jazz artist, in my opinion by far. The sound of this musical which included saxophone and piano put me in the mind of modern jazz. Although I have never heard of Jon Saxx from the moment he touched his saxophone I became an instant fan. Although his genre is jazz his renditions of pop songs such as “Closer to my Dreams” by R&B artist Goapele and even took it as far to perform” Buy You A Drink” by Rap artist T-Pain. I was truly honored to have the pleasure of watching him perform. His talent for playing the saxophone is that of a master. There was no need for a vocalist because he used the saxophone as his voice. This was a fantastic performance which had me moving in my seat to the beat. New R&B artist Robin Thicke was a treat performing his pop genre song “Sex Therapy”. His poetic lyrics soothed the crowd as he performed. This performance left me in awe as he performed a jazz spinoff of “Lost Without You.” The ensemble included a gutair, maracas and a drum kit. All of the instruments were played very softly as Robin created the essence of jazz. New comer Melonie also graced the stage with her hit single “And it Kills Me” which was a nice crowd pleaser leaving much desired of the next artist John Legend.  John Legend was also a crowd favorite with his slow yet steady beats and  use of ‘A’ major with ‘B’ minor. Performing such songs as  “Green Light “ & “Ordinary People”. Mary J Blige ended the night with a bang, performing every song  in her  14 year career. She performed all of my favorites from “I’m Going Down”, “911”, Be Without You” and her newest single “In the Morning”. Even after Mary went from the beginning of time and brought it back to the present, I must admit she left me wanting more.  She was my all time favorite from the night. Throughout the evening, I noticed that these performers had a combination of immeasurable talent, knowledge and skill by making this event one to remember.  It was truly amazing to watch as their true emotions came out in the sound of the instruments.  They were surely having a time of their life which made it more entertaining.  Needless to say, I enjoyed every moment and was happy that the opportunity arose for me to attend this concert.
Giselle0303
Songwriter (10 points)

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2010, 08:57:15 am »

When I heard " jazz in the gardens" I thought I wonder where or what kind of concert this is going to be ?! what an interesting name! It sounds pretty cool, but doesnt seem like I missed out on too much.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: